PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget to dress warmly

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2006, 02:40 PM
I'm guessing that I've probably been to more 10 degree football games than most on the board, so I figure I'll give some tips on dressing appropriately for the game this weekend.

1. Layers. It is ultra-important to dress in layers. Two thin layers will protect you MUCH better than one thick layer. Two thick layers is even better.

2. Wicking. Try to wear something close to your skin that will carry moisture away. Cotton is bad. DO NOT WEAR COTTON NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO!

3. Wear a hat. You lose a ton of heat from your scalp-especially those of us with little insulation up there.

4. Wear a scarf or something else you can put over your ears. You can get frostbitten on your ears so quickly you won't believe it.

5. Don't neglect your feet. You're going to be fairly stationary for a few hours, which means that your circulatory system won't be moving quite as fast-which means your little piggies will be cold. Throw a pair of dress socks under your tube socks. Your feet will thank you.

If you're enough of a man to emulate people who make ascents of Denali, I hear that nylon hose underneath your clothes makes a world of difference.

JohnnyMack
11/28/2006, 02:43 PM
What the hell do you know about cold?

GottaHavePride
11/28/2006, 02:49 PM
If you're enough of a man to emulate people who make ascents of Denali, I hear that nylon hose underneath your clothes makes a world of difference.

Or UnderArmour. That ColdGear stuff is teh win.

Howzit
11/28/2006, 02:52 PM
What...nothing about whale blubber?

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2006, 02:56 PM

If you are able to get your hands on whale blubber, feel free to render it in a huge cauldron and smear it all over your body. At that point, feel free to wear nothing else.

BeetDigger
11/28/2006, 02:58 PM
Cotton is not good at wicking. Wool and them thar new high tech polyester jobber fabrics wick moisture away. Cotton, well it just gets wet and waits for the heat to evaporate the moisture away. Cotton is comfortable, breathes, looks nice when ironed, but is the succ at wicking. That was the whole threory that led the guy to invent Under Armour. His first product was that form fitting T-Shirt made of polyester. The dude saw all the players with sweat soaked cotton t-shirts under their pads and thought "there has got to be a better way."

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2006, 03:04 PM
Well, what do you know. I learned something today. I always thought that cotton was good for wicking. Thanks, Beet.

Jerk
11/28/2006, 03:04 PM

...or Eskimo pu**y

achiro
11/28/2006, 03:05 PM
I'm guessing that I've probably been to more 10 degree football games than most on the board, so I figure I'll give some tips on dressing appropriately for the game this weekend.

1. Layers. It is ultra-important to dress in layers. Two thin layers will protect you MUCH better than one thick layer. Two thick layers is even better.

2. Wicking. Try to wear something close to your skin that will carry moisture away. Cotton is good.
cotton sucks as any layer. It does not wick moisture at all, it holds it. do not wear cotton if it can be avoided at all.

5. Don't neglect your feet. You're going to be fairly stationary for a few hours, which means that your circulatory system won't be moving quite as fast-which means your little piggies will be cold. Throw a pair of dress socks under your tube socks. Your feet will thank you.
A wicking layer is good everywhere. Dress socks will work if they are the right material but a liner sock made specifically for it then some wool socks would be much better than cotton tubes. One thing I have found over the years is that putting so much on your feet that the shoes/boots are tight will lower the circulation and your feet will get colder/quicker

no way in hell with the high tech materials available today would I ever wear hose.

My advice:
underarmour cold gear is good stuff. I prefer some other brands of "long johns" bought from places like cabela's(all made with high tech materials) but under armour is readily available. Make sure you get the cold gear type. Regardless this layer is all about wicking the moisture away from your skin.
Next layer: Wool is best, it insulates when wet so the moisture thats off your skin can move into it but you will still get the insulating effect. Polar fleece is a good option to wool but not regular old fashion cotton sweatshirts
OUter layer: Depending on the weather you want insulation for sure but either windstopper or gore or both is the thing I would suggest here. I have found thinsulate to be about the best .

Remember keep the core of your body warm and the hands and feet will stay surprisingly ok without big bulky stuff needed.

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2006, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I was wrong on the cotton. I was, however, trying to give advice that people could take without buying a bunch of stuff and use stuff they'd already have in their house. That's why I wasn't suggesting everyone go out and get a bunch of UnderArmour ColdGear or GoreTex all-weather survival suits or something.

soonervegas
11/28/2006, 03:15 PM
I am going to do what I have done the previous three times to KC:

Pregame: 12 pack of Corona

Game Time: Sneak in flask of bourbon

Problem solved.

If it was good enough for the head chef of the Titanic it is good enough for me.

Mjcpr
11/28/2006, 03:17 PM

Problem solved.

If it was good enough for the head chef of the Titanic it is good enough for me.

I didn't know they even had 12 packs back then.

RIP, Corona Chef.

achiro
11/28/2006, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I was wrong on the cotton. I was, however, trying to give advice that people could take without buying a bunch of stuff and use stuff they'd already have in their house. That's why I wasn't suggesting everyone go out and get a bunch of UnderArmour ColdGear or GoreTex all-weather survival suits or something.
But everyone should have an underarmour coldgear goretex all weather survival suit!:D

I know what you were getting at which is why I suggested the cold gear. If someone were wanting something a little better and willing to pay more for it I would have suggested differently. The cold gear is honestly something that everybody that ever goes outside for any reason in the winter(ie watching football games) should have at the very least. Its readily available and works pretty well.
The rest is all gravy. :D

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2006, 03:22 PM

Problem solved.

This is a massively bad idea. Alcohol+cold=hypothermia.

Alcohol dilates your capillaries, bringing blood to the surface, which is why your skin feels warmer. The bood then cools and returns to your core, lowering the temperature of your internal organs.

Flagstaffsooner
11/28/2006, 03:23 PM
You guys should be in Flagstaff today. It's colder than Olevet's Nattys.

Frozen Sooner
But everyone should have an underarmour coldgear goretex all weather survival suit!:D

I know what you were getting at which is why I suggested the cold gear. If someone were wanting something a little better and willing to pay more for it I would have suggested differently. The cold gear is honestly something that everybody that ever goes outside for any reason in the winter(ie watching football games) should have at the very least. Its readily available and works pretty well.
The rest is all gravy. :D

Ironically, I don't own a whole lot of that stuff. I've got a hunting outfit and that's about it.

BeetDigger

We appreciate the thought. I just wanted to clarify on the cotton issue. That Under Armour dude has made a fortune. It was a brilliant idea actually.

One of the best things to do if you are out and need an extra layer of warmth but don't want to spend a bunch is to go to Wal-Mart and buy one of their polar fleece jackets or pull overs, one or two sizes too big. Put that over the top of what you have on. It's cheap, actually looks decent the first time or two you wear it (it pills up after you wear it a bunch and/or wash it), and it adds a great amount of additional warmth to whatever you already have on.

The polar fleece gloves they have there are also great. Their cheap and pretty warm. Besides, it's always a good idea to keep a pair of gloves in the car during winter, just........in.........case.

achiro
11/28/2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I was wrong on the cotton.
You are gonna be freaking amazed how much warmer you will be now that you know.:D

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2006, 03:28 PM
You are gonna be freaking amazed how much warmer you will be now that you know.:D

I feel like there should be a star shooting across the screen with tinkly piano music.

crawfish
11/28/2006, 03:37 PM
Don't be a pu$$y. No shirt, body paint is the way to go.

IB4OU2
11/28/2006, 03:39 PM
All I have to say is OU4Life is lucky sometimes...

BoogercountySooner
11/28/2006, 04:22 PM
Some good thinsulate gloves and some hand warmers could come in handy. Try some whool socks to. I bought a cheap turtle neck pull over at Wal-Mart on Clearance for $2 that is real nice as one of my layers when I climb up into qa cold treestand!

achiro
11/28/2006, 04:24 PM
I feel like there should be a star shooting across the screen with tinkly piano music.
FYI, a GIS of "now you know" brings up a couple of particularly interesting photos. NSFW btw.

BajaOklahoma
11/28/2006, 06:41 PM
Handwarmers and footwarmers are worth the couple of bucks they cost.
Then there are the heated hunting socks with the battery. Not so cheap, but warm.

Also, not attractive but warm, is to wrap a layer of the clear plastic drop cloths. Fits in your pocket on the way in and goes in the trash on the way out.

yermom
11/28/2006, 07:19 PM
the wool socks are teh win

who sells the Underarmor cold stuff?

BajaOklahoma
11/28/2006, 07:38 PM
Sporting goods stores.