PDA

View Full Version : Look out Homey, the gestapo is coming for you

Widescreen
11/28/2006, 10:31 AM
and your little celebration. The threat of the ACLU lawsuit - even if not actually threatened - seems to hold sway over anything religious these days.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061128/D8LLRK9O0.html

By DON BABWIN

CHICAGO (AP) - A public Christmas festival is no place for the Christmas story, the city says. Officials have asked organizers of a downtown Christmas festival, the German Christkindlmarket, to reconsider using a movie studio as a sponsor because it is worried ads for its film "The Nativity Story" might offend non-Christians.

New Line Cinema, which said it was dropped, had planned to play a loop of the new film on televisions at the event. The decision had both the studio and a prominent Christian group shaking their heads.

"The last time I checked, the first six letters of Christmas still spell out Christ," said Paul Braoudakis, spokesman for the Barrington, Ill.-based Willow Creek Association, a group of more than 11,000 churches of various denominations. "It's tantamount to celebrating Lincoln's birthday without talking about Abraham Lincoln."

He also said that there is a nativity scene in Daley Plaza - and that some vendors at the festival sell items related to the nativity.

The city does not want to appear to endorse one religion over another, said Cindy Gatziolis, a spokeswoman for the Mayor's Office of Special Events. She acknowledged there is a nativity scene, but also said there will be representations of other faiths, including a Jewish menorah, all put up by private groups. She stressed that the city did not order organizers to drop the studio as a sponsor.

"Our guidance was that this very prominently placed advertisement would not only be insensitive to the many people of different faiths who come to enjoy the market for its food and unique gifts, but also it would be contrary to acceptable advertising standards suggested to the many festivals holding events on Daley Plaza," Jim Law, executive director of the office, said in a statement.

Officials with the German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest, which has organized the event for several years, did not immediately return calls for comment. The festival started Thursday.

An executive vice president with New Line Cinema, Christina Kounelias, said the studio's plan to spend $12,000 in Chicago was part of an advertising campaign around the country. Kounelias said that as far as she knew, the Chicago festival was the only instance where the studio was turned down.

Kounelias said she finds it hard to believe that non-Christians who attended something called Christkindlmarket would be surprised or offended by the presence of posters, brochures and other advertisements of the movie.

"One would assume that if (people) were to go to Christkindlmarket, they'd know it is about Christmas," she said.

Hatfield
11/28/2006, 10:32 AM
"One would assume that if (people) were to go to Christkindlmarket, they'd know it is about Christmas," she said.

:) kind of funny

pansies. we should just call ourselves the united states of pansies.

"It's tantamount to celebrating Lincoln's birthday without talking about Abraham Lincoln....and then celebrating his birthday several months after the fact"

fixed.

crawfish
11/28/2006, 10:57 AM
I'm offended at their offense. Will the ACLU represent me?

Widescreen
11/28/2006, 11:04 AM
The stupidest thing about this is that they don't want clips from a movie about the Nativity to be shown, but they'll allow an actual Nativity recreation to be displayed. :rolleyes:

Hatfield
11/28/2006, 11:12 AM
they should just run clips of various movies of different faiths and they would probably allow that to stand...that would be awesome.

but your point is well received senor widescreen

crawfish
11/28/2006, 11:27 AM
they should just run clips of various movies of different faiths and they would probably allow that to stand...that would be awesome.

Errr....yeah. At a Christmas celebration. I wonder if we can make Muslim's show "The Passion of the Christ" at Ramadan?

Widescreen
11/28/2006, 11:49 AM
Did the ACLU make you use Spanish as some kind of pro-illegal-immigration thing? :mad:

:D

Hatfield
11/28/2006, 11:55 AM
si

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2006, 11:56 AM
Where are you getting the ACLU out of this? I don't see in the quoted sections that they're involved at all.

Okla-homey
11/28/2006, 04:41 PM
No worries. Them ACLU fellers is afraid to show their faces in Tulsey.

TUSooner
11/28/2006, 04:53 PM
I have read the First Amendment a few times and I never saw anything about Congress, states, local gubments, or private folk being constitutionally prohibited from "offending" anybody. This is where the Supremes' "Establishment Clause" jurisprudence has gone off the rails like Ozzy's old train.

Widescreen
11/28/2006, 04:56 PM
Where are you getting the ACLU out of this? I don't see in the quoted sections that they're involved at all.
Oh, it isn't. I was just making a commentary that the fear of an ACLU lawsuit will cause people to do lots of crazy stuff. Basically, people err on the side that won't get them sued by the ACLU. Is that going on here? I don't know but I suspect there's an element to it.

TUSooner
11/28/2006, 04:58 PM
Let's see... steamy sex and bloody violence are mainstays of every almost form of public entertainment, yet we are sudenly worried about "sensitivity" at a Christmas display?

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2006, 05:23 PM
Oh, it isn't. I was just making a commentary that the fear of an ACLU lawsuit will cause people to do lots of crazy stuff. Basically, people err on the side that won't get them sued by the ACLU. Is that going on here? I don't know but I suspect there's an element to it.

That's like saying that people don't commit crimes because they're scared of prosecution.

Is that why some people don't commit crimes? Sure. But it's an awfully broad assumption to make.

Widescreen
11/28/2006, 05:25 PM
But it's an awfully broad assumption to make.
Well, this IS the South Oval.

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2006, 05:27 PM
True. And it's usually safe to make assumptions about most of the broads here.

SicEmBaylor
11/28/2006, 06:19 PM

Except then the muslims and islamic sympathizers would be offended because their prophets can not be depicted in a movie/show/whathaveyou.

Maybe instead they could show the "path to 9/11" on the muslim sequence.

OklahomaTuba
11/28/2006, 06:54 PM
That is so stupid, you just have to laugh.

Okla-homey
11/28/2006, 09:19 PM

That is a very valid point my friend. Page one in the ACLU playbook states that a simple letter, on ACLU stationary, threatening a lawsuit if the activity doesn't immediately cease, is usually all that is necessary to shut-down just about anything they deem offensive and/or in violation of their warped interpretation of the Establishment clause.

IMHO, if more folks displayed a bit of moral courage by simply returning those letters with the words "Bring it!" handwritten thereon, much of their power would be sapped.

IOW, they are like the 4th grade bully who only has power because most kids won't sack-up and stand-up to the kid.

Ike
11/29/2006, 04:58 AM
That is so stupid, you just have to laugh.

dude, its chicago for chrissakes. politically speaking, there is very little here that ISN'T stupid. This is no different from anything else.