PDA

View Full Version : Here's what you need to know about Nebraska

tommie15
11/27/2006, 11:12 PM
QB - Zac Taylor - First off, thank you Norman, OK. You produced a fine young man in Zac and we have been awfully lucky to have him. Zac is definitely not the most physically gifted QB in the world, but he is pretty football smart and very, very tough. I'm sure much of Zac's skin can be found on the Memorial Stadium field turf. Zac is a very hot/cold quarterback, and sometimes his hotness (or coldness) changes from half to half (OSU, A&M come to mind). For all of Zac's strength, mobility is not one of them. Not only is Zac not a good scrambler, he also seems to lack mobility in the pocket. This is one of the areas to watch for in the game. If OU gets consistent pressure, Zac can turn cold pretty quick. Oh yeah, don't hurt him, because we don't have much behind him (you can relate, right?).

RB - Brandon Jackson, Marlon Lucky, Cody Glenn, Kenny Wilson - You Sooners probably won't agree, but most Huskers feel like we have the most talented backfield in the conference. Brandon has really come on this year and is the most complete back, mixing power and speed. Marlon is the most electric in the open field, but he sometimes lacks the vision of Brandon. Cody will run you over and is very fun to watch. Expect to seem him on third and short and goaline situations. Kenny has had a case of fumblitis (as has Brandon, actually) but he may be the most physically talented of the four. He is also probably the fastest. I truly expected him to be the main guy by this point in the season, but that hasn't happened. Don't expect to see much of Kenny.

WR - Mo Purify, Terrance Nunn, Nate Swift, Todd Peterson, Frantz Hardy - Those are the main guys and they will all play. Mo is the best WR we have had at NU in a long, long time. I would expect him to go pretty high in the draft next year. He has clearly become the go to guy and is the most likely destination on third downs. The others are all solid. Except for Swift and Mo (for the most part) all of the WRs have had cases of the dropsies. This is a solid unit, but there are no true difference makers besides Purify.

TE - Matt Herian, Hunter Teafatiller, JB Phillips - Nothing specatacular here. Herian is certainly not his old self. Phillips is an adequate blocker. Don't expect too many passes to be thrown to these guys.

OL - This unit has improved, but still isn't great. We still get pushed around sometimes in the run game and the pass protection can sometimes be shakey. We hope to have Slauson and Austin healthy for this week which may make a difference. Carl Nicks is the guy to watch out for. He may become a dominant force at tackle in the near future. I think OU has a pretty clear advantage here.

DL - Adam Carriker, Jay Moore, Ola Dagunduro, Barry Cryer - The starters are all seniors and are solid, but nothing spectacular. We lack speed off the edge when the starters are in, but Barry Turner adds speed when he is in the game. Ndamakong Suh is a freshman DT and is probably the most talented of the bunch. The more time he sees, the happier I am. He may prove to be the best DT at NU since Jason Peter.

LB - Cory McKeon, Stew Bradley, Steve Octavian, Bo Rudd - An average unit with average speed and below average tackling skills. Some of the angles these guys take are horrible. They must play better than they have all year this week. Octavian is the only true difference maker and the only guy who really tackles well.

DB - Andrew Shanle, Tierre Green, Cortney Grixby, Andre Jones - Not a good unit here either. Shanle is bad. That's all there is to say about that. He is bad in run support and bad in coverage. And, for a safety, he is more scared of contact than Ted Haggard in Key West. Tierre is not much better. The corners actually aren't bad, they just never get any help from the safeties. If Major Culbert and Ricky Thenarse (both true freshman) play, this unit becomes much better.

Kicker - Jordan Congdon - Accurate, not much leg strength. Expect to see us go on 4th between the 35 and 20.

Who knows what Callahan's gameplan will be. I know you folks hate him, but he is turning out to be a heck of a play caller.

I expect this to to be a close game with both teams in the mid 20s when the game ends. I won't predict a winner. See you Saturday.

Paperclip
11/27/2006, 11:22 PM
In the little I've seen of Nebraska this season I've learned two things:
1. Brandon Jackson is pretty good.
2. Hardy is freaking fast.

BigRedTradition
11/27/2006, 11:34 PM
If Major Culbert and Ricky Thenarse (both true freshman) play, this unit becomes much better.

The million dollar question: Why haven't they played more????:confused:

picasso
11/27/2006, 11:36 PM
In the little I've seen of Nebraska this season I've learned two things:
1. Brandon Jackson is pretty good.
2. Hardy is freaking fast.
3. oSu beat the ever living ****e out of you and their RB's looked wayyy better than your RB's.

fixed.

TrophyCollector
11/27/2006, 11:43 PM
RB - Brandon Jackson, Marlon Lucky, Cody Glenn, Kenny Wilson - You Sooners probably won't agree, but most Huskers feel like we have the most talented backfield in the conference.

Good post!

You are correct on the RB point, I do not agree. Surely you qualify that "most talented backfield in the conference" statement with - as long as Adrian Peterson is not playing? Even with an injured AD, it's probably a toss up IMHO - Patrick and Brown have been ripping people new ones even more than AD was.

I have much respect for Nebraska, except for the time my camera got stolen from the stands in Lincoln - but I'm kinda over it now.

And except for Billy C. who can go f*ck himself. Dr. Tom and Solich were class acts, not sure how this sh*tbag wound up running the show - but oh well. At least it gives me something to hate about Nebraska going into the game.

As for my take on the OU gameplan:
1. Run, run, run, run some more and then run again. Get to the second level and force the NU secondary to make tackles.
2. Take away the Husker run game early.
3. Sing "We are the Champions"
4. Collect Trophy.
5. Go home.

Enjoy the game.

KingDavid
11/28/2006, 12:03 AM
tommie15, why no props for Carriker? He's looked pretty solid from where I've been sitting and watching all year.

tommie15
11/28/2006, 12:09 AM
Carriker stated off extremely slowly. He added weight during the off season and still appears to be a step or two slower. He has played better recently. He will be a nice player in a 3-4 scheme in the NFL, but I would like to have a little more speed than bulk at that position.

KingDavid
11/28/2006, 12:13 AM
I would have said Carriker was your best defensive player . . .but you think it's Octavian?

tommie15
11/28/2006, 12:17 AM
I would have said Carriker was your best defensive player . . .but you think it's Octavian?

No, Octavian has been injured much of the year and is not consistent enough yet. We really don't have any dominant defensive players. I think Moore has been just as good as Carriker this year. We, sadly, look like a slow Big 10 defense from yesteryear.

I guess if I had to choose, I would say our best defensive player is Carriker.

KingDavid
11/28/2006, 12:23 AM
OK. I thought I'd lost it for a sec!

Well, good luck to you. I think the match ups appear to favor us . . . but the Big XII championship is a funny little animal. We've both been on the losing end of a stunning upset in this game . . . so all bets are off.

I think, all things being equal, that OU will win by a touchdown. But given the other intangibles (like the weather, which will be in Nebraska's favor), I'm calling it OU-24, Nebraska-20.

Good luck.

Scott D
11/28/2006, 12:25 AM
I swear...the name Ruud with Nebraska is akin to the surname Woods at Pokey State. You are bound to run out of em one day.

tommie15
11/28/2006, 12:31 AM
I swear...the name Ruud with Nebraska is akin to the surname Woods at Pokey State. You are bound to run out of em one day.

Actually, we have had Barrett and Bo recently. So, let's say that both have 2 sons like dad did. That would make 4 Ruuds in about 2030. This trend will continue. It is entirely possible that we could, in fact, field a team of ONLY Ruuds sometime in the 23rd century. That will be some team.

OU_PhD
11/28/2006, 12:33 AM
The good thing about this game is that Callahan will probably just start running the game out if the score is out of hand in the 3rd quarter to try and save face (like he did in Norman two years ago and the way he did at SC this season). Sooners just need to jump up fast and take throat-slasher out of the game. Who knows... maybe they'll kick a last-minute field goal to salvage a moral victory.

Sooner 31
Nebbish 24

KingDavid
11/28/2006, 12:42 AM
Actually, we have had Barrett and Bo recently. So, let's say that both have 2 sons like dad did. That would make 4 Ruuds in about 2030. This trend will continue. It is entirely possible that we could, in fact, field a team of ONLY Ruuds sometime in the 23rd century. That will be some team.

heh.

OUswagger
11/28/2006, 12:45 AM
they lost to the shaggies. that is all you need to know.

Readyfor8
11/28/2006, 01:29 AM
Stupid throat slashing bug eater... If one of your RB's finishes in the top 5 of the Heisman while injured I'll give you a fricken cookie. But it won't happen. If you said "deepest" backfield maybe cause we only have 3 running backs and are 14th in the nation in rushing.

Get a fricken clue you no talent excuse for a football fan. If your dummy of a HC doesn't try to "play it close" like the last time he visited Norman consider yourself lucky.

SoonerTerry
11/28/2006, 01:33 AM
QB - Zac Taylor - First off, thank you Norman, OK. You produced a fine young man in Zac and we have been awfully lucky to have him. Zac is definitely not the most physically gifted QB in the world, but he is pretty

:D

birddog
11/28/2006, 01:38 AM
Stupid throat slashing bug eater... If one of your RB's finishes in the top 5 of the Heisman while injured I'll give you a fricken cookie. But it won't happen. If you said "deepest" backfield maybe cause we only have 3 running backs and are 14th in the nation in rushing.

Get a fricken clue you no talent excuse for a football fan. If your dummy of a HC doesn't try to "play it close" like the last time he visited Norman consider yourself lucky.

who whizzed in your cheerios?

william_brasky
11/28/2006, 01:45 AM
who whizzed in your cheerios?

I think he whizzed in his own, forgot about it, then ate them.

He seems to be that mad.

oh yeah, thanks for the report Tommie.

Readyfor8
11/28/2006, 02:00 AM
I have said time and again until Nebbish dumps that loser of a Headcoach, the bugeaters get no respect from me. It's not my fault that Callahan has taken what used to be a rivalry of mutual respect and turned it into a year in and year out sham.

He has continued to lie about things he knew were wrong when he did them, and he refuses to be a man about it and own up to his mistakes. If Neb had any sense or a competent AD they would have kept Solich until they found a suitable replacement not the 14th resort on the list 4 months after they fired Solich.

The skers are in the same boat as the horns in my book and most of you know how I feel about horns.

Hella Sideburns
11/28/2006, 02:15 AM
**** Nebraska....that's all you need to know

iknowyoudidnt
11/28/2006, 05:02 AM
Man, I dunno, I can't bring myself to hate Nebraska, or anything even close to it. I hope we beat them handily, but that's all. I've always kind of felt like they were a fraternal twin in terms of loyal fans, and the importance of college football to their fans and state, etc. I'm quite pleased we're playing them in this game. It's one of the only things that's felt "right" about this season.

SoonerShark
11/28/2006, 06:31 AM
I expect NU to play well in KC, which is a tribute to opportunity since NU would have been in 3rd or 4th place had it been in the Big XII South division, going possibly 5-3 at best, two games behind the South winner. Getting to play KSU, KU, ISU, and CU was a true benefit, and will be each year. The Big XII North deservedly gets no respect. However, in a one game series, in December at night in KC, which reflects the Big XII's lack of insight when it comes to scheduling the event, NU should be the favorite. Callahan seems more like a CU coach than a NU head man, a bit of a shyster. No quality program should ever be able to get behind a person of his ilk.

sooneron
11/28/2006, 08:14 AM
Good report Tommie!

and Trophy Collector, AD still has better ypc than Brown or Patrick.

TrophyCollector
11/28/2006, 08:34 AM
Good report Tommie!

and Trophy Collector, AD still has better ypc than Brown or Patrick.

Yea, Patrick/Brown have more total yards only because AD is so good that DCs have to completely sell out to try and slow him down. That's why we have more passing yards when AD is in.

I wasn't in any way saying that Patrick/Brown > AD cause that is just dumb - nobody > AD.

What I did say was that Partrick/Brown >= Corn backs.

husker4life
11/28/2006, 09:26 PM
I would like to wish all of you Sooners good luck on saturday and hope to see some of you there. I would have made a new post for this but I'm not abke too. Hopefully it is a great game.

picasso
11/28/2006, 09:27 PM
safe travels Sooners and Huskers.

OUstud
11/28/2006, 11:49 PM
Yeah especially with the weather and all. Hopefully the storm cancels school Thursday then clears out Friday. :D

SoonerGM
11/29/2006, 12:01 AM
I have said time and again until Nebbish dumps that loser of a Headcoach, the bugeaters get no respect from me. It's not my fault that Callahan has taken what used to be a rivalry of mutual respect and turned it into a year in and year out sham.

He has continued to lie about things he knew were wrong when he did them, and he refuses to be a man about it and own up to his mistakes. If Neb had any sense or a competent AD they would have kept Solich until they found a suitable replacement not the 14th resort on the list 4 months after they fired Solich.

The skers are in the same boat as the horns in my book and most of you know how I feel about horns.

you know, i dont hate the huskers for all of those things. i just feel sorry for them.