PDA

View Full Version : Bama to hire Spurrier???

sooner n houston
11/27/2006, 04:53 PM
Rumor has it Bama has offered him 4 mil a year! WOW!

Supposed to be announced latter tonight.

dolemitesooner
11/27/2006, 04:54 PM
WOW

Widescreen
11/27/2006, 04:55 PM
This should be interesting. I'd like to see how he's going to explain his comment that he doesn't have any interest in coaching at a school that already has had a winning tradition. He was all about building something that had never been there before. I guess he response could be "$4 Mil, Suckas!"

Sooner-by-Marriage
11/27/2006, 04:57 PM
And he's still making money from Dan Snyder to boot!

Rogue
11/27/2006, 06:30 PM
Golf is too good in S. Carolina. It would put him back at a Tennessee rival though and that could be fun.

My prediction: Rich Rodriguez gets the 'Bama job.

Canyonero
11/27/2006, 06:36 PM
how much does Bama owe Shula? I thought he got an extention last year, now they're throwing 4 mil at another coach.

OUinFLA
11/27/2006, 06:39 PM
how much does Bama owe Shula? I thought he got an extention last year, now they're throwing 4 mil at another coach.

Bama Boosters can afford it.

Jello Biafra
11/27/2006, 06:41 PM

i read somewhere that his buyout is 4,000,000

shavedmarmoset
11/27/2006, 06:41 PM
They owe Shula another 4 mil. They better have some deep pockets.

badger
11/27/2006, 07:00 PM
didn't SI claim that bama was back last year?

wtf happened to being back?!?!

Canyonero
11/27/2006, 08:28 PM
it's like being a team on the rise

Sooner in Tampa
11/28/2006, 08:17 AM
It doesn't seem like the old ball coach is too worried about money...or Bama

“There’s no question,” Spurrier said after Saturday’s game. “You heard me talk about winning the SEC here, and that’s my goal.”

The 61-year-old Spurrier is 14-10 in two seasons at USC and will become the first coach in school history to guide the Gamecocks to bowl games in each of his first two seasons.

The former Florida coach is in the second year of a seven-year contract worth $1.25 million annually. Alabama and Miami are expected to offer annual guarantees of $2 million or more.

Spurrier turned down more money when he succeeded Lou Holtz in Columbia in November 2004. When former USC athletics director Mike McGee initially offered him $1.5 million, Spurrier told McGee to put $250,000 toward assistant coaches’ salaries.

link (http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/16111730.htm)

sooneron
11/28/2006, 08:22 AM
I'm guessing he'd lose that Augusta nat'l membership if he bailed.

mrowl
11/28/2006, 09:04 AM
The Bama fans are not as smart as I thought...

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=469359&postcount=200

Originally Posted by MLD117 View Post
Bob Stoops, according to people, is not happy in Oklahoma and is very interested in the Alabama head coaching position.
I spoke with a reporter friend today who covers the Big 12. He has no real inside dirt, but he felt strongly that Bama should make a hard run at Stoops. He thinks Stoops has about maxed out at OU, may be looking for a new challenge (given the right amount of money), and we probably have a more realistic shot at getting him than either Saban or Spurrier (and his track record is as solid as either of them).

To me, Stoops is the total package: D1A national title, understands coaching at a traditional power, SEC knowledge/background, ace blue-chip recruiter, solid defensive background (yet runs an exciting offense), hires and keeps outstanding assistants, etc. And he dug Oklahoma out of a similar situation to the one we're facing today.

The only downsides (as Jess pointed out in his column a day ago) are the talk of a few potential NCAA violations and purported NFL interest (though he has turned down more NFL overtures than most coaches will ever dream of getting).

I see Stoops as our most realistic shot at a true slam-dunk hire.

Sooner in Tampa
11/28/2006, 09:17 AM
The Bama fans are not as smart as I thought...

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=469359&postcount=200

Originally Posted by MLD117 View Post
Bob Stoops, according to people, is not happy in Oklahoma and is very interested in the Alabama head coaching position.
I spoke with a reporter friend today who covers the Big 12. He has no real inside dirt, but he felt strongly that Bama should make a hard run at Stoops. He thinks Stoops has about maxed out at OU, may be looking for a new challenge (given the right amount of money), and we probably have a more realistic shot at getting him than either Saban or Spurrier (and his track record is as solid as either of them).

To me, Stoops is the total package: D1A national title, understands coaching at a traditional power, SEC knowledge/background, ace blue-chip recruiter, solid defensive background (yet runs an exciting offense), hires and keeps outstanding assistants, etc. And he dug Oklahoma out of a similar situation to the one we're facing today.

The only downsides (as Jess pointed out in his column a day ago) are the talk of a few potential NCAA violations and purported NFL interest (though he has turned down more NFL overtures than most coaches will ever dream of getting).

I see Stoops as our most realistic shot at a true slam-dunk hire.

MOST of what I read in a thread about Stoops to Bama had Bama fans saying that it was a pipe dream...the smart Bama fans realize that "at best" it is a lateral move for Stoops and most think that it is a move down. The non-myopic Bama fans know that Bob Stoops aint setting foot in T-Town to be the head coach...but Mike...well that's another story.

CtheB
11/28/2006, 10:03 AM
Stoops is going nowhere, and if he did, I do not think it would be the SEC. I think Miami is more realistic. Fact is, you cannot churn out championships playing in the SEC, too difficult a road to tow. The Big 12 or ACC are easier pickins.

ashley
11/28/2006, 11:55 AM
Spurrier is going to Bama for 29M for 10 years. This is a fact.

Sooner in Tampa
11/28/2006, 11:58 AM
Spurrier is going to Bama for 29M for 10 years. This is a fact.
:rolleyes:

boomrsoonr
11/28/2006, 12:07 PM
I see Kragthorpe or Leach going there.

IHateUT
11/28/2006, 12:13 PM
As a Bama fan, I can say that most of us realize that the "S's" (Spurrier, Saban, Stoops) are out of the question. I am glad the mods over at TideFans started merging all that crap in one thread so I wouldn't have to thumb through all of it. It was getting old and quite absurd.

RedstickSooner
11/28/2006, 01:18 PM
So, the same school that couldn't keep FRANCIONE thinks it's going to go out and hire Stoops away from us?

Guess it's no surprise. After all, ANY school with 45 national championships would probably believe the same thing.

Edit: Sorry, Bama fans - I'm probably being a bit harsh. Y'all are a good bunch overall ;)

G'luck with your coaching search. Your best choice if you're gonna head hunt is Mike Leach, IMHO.

IHateUT
11/28/2006, 02:20 PM
First of all, it's 53 National Championships not 45. Check your facts. ;)

And, I am not sure about Leach. I don't question his offense, but I hope he can bring a better D than he has at TT if he is offered and accepts.

Regardless, whoever the new coach is, I hope DC Joe Kines is retained. I'd say the fan favorite (realistically speaking) right now is Rich Rodriguez.

Good luck against Heach Coach Bill A**hole and NU.

Pigface1
11/28/2006, 02:27 PM
Bama should hire Kragthorpe and get on with it.

Scott D
11/28/2006, 02:37 PM
Lane Kiffin or Bo Pellini would be my dark horse candidates for the Bama job.

mhackl
11/28/2006, 02:41 PM
Bama should hire Kragthorpe and get on with it.
I agree, Kragthorpe is going to be a breakout coach if given a marquee program. Any AD with some smarts should be giving him a hard look.

CtheB
11/28/2006, 04:51 PM
First of all, it's 53 National Championships not 45. Check your facts. ;)

And, I am not sure about Leach. I don't question his offense, but I hope he can bring a better D than he has at TT if he is offered and accepts.

Regardless, whoever the new coach is, I hope DC Joe Kines is retained. I'd say the fan favorite (realistically speaking) right now is Rich Rodriguez.

Good luck against Heach Coach Bill A**hole and NU.

You check your facts, bud. In the time it took you to write that post, they won two more....it's now 55. :)