PDA

View Full Version : Pop up Windows update alerts

MamaMia
11/27/2006, 03:04 PM
Windows wants me to download new things. I usually ignore them. My computer seems to be doing very well and I don't want to jinx it. Is that okay, and what are they for anyway?

Veritas
11/27/2006, 03:06 PM
Download them. Set your computer to update automatically. I'll walk you through it if you don't know how.

To answer your questions directly, no, that's not okay, and usually they are security patches or updates to Windows embedded software (Explorer, Media Player, etc).

Howzit
11/27/2006, 03:09 PM
THERE HE IS!!! DOGPILE!!!!

crawfish
11/27/2006, 03:10 PM
THERE HE IS!!! DOGPILE!!!!

No way. You groped me last time. :mad:

yermom
11/27/2006, 03:11 PM
the dirty Husker is right

OUDoc
11/27/2006, 03:20 PM
Damn dirty huskers.

Oh, and do the updates, Mom.

Ike
11/27/2006, 03:28 PM
I usually go through and check the updates that I want and don't want. For instance, there is no way I am allowing windows to automatically give me IE7. It has done this for someone I know, and the update deleted his boot.ini file, essentially turning his laptop into a paperweight. I also don't download their malicious software removal tool.

MamaMia
11/27/2006, 03:34 PM
Okay. Next time it pops up, I'll ask you all which ones I should download, but downloading new things is scary and goes against my nature, however I do like some new things. I guess I'm kind of set in my ways. :O

Ike
11/27/2006, 05:40 PM
Okay. Next time it pops up, I'll ask you all which ones I should download, but downloading new things is scary and goes against my nature, however I do like some new things. I guess I'm kind of set in my ways. :O

basically, if it says "security update" you probably need it. if it doesn't, you're probably ok without it. When it tells you there are updates, go to the manual install option (or whatever its called...NOT the express install which just puts them all there) and it will give you a list. uncheck anything NOT marked "security update" or something like that, and then go.