PDA

View Full Version : Dallas newspaper now ripping 'Horn assistants...

Tear Down This Wall
11/27/2006, 11:35 AM
...Greg Davis, the guy who coaches the linebackers, Chizik, etc. What a pathetic rag. Any idiot could see that last year was a fluke. The UT coaches did jack squat last year except pray the 'Horns would recover enough of Vince Young's fumbles to stay in ball games. Weak.

Flagstaffsooner
11/27/2006, 11:42 AM
And this suprises you? The DMN is a poop rag.

RedStripe
11/27/2006, 11:48 AM
And this suprises you? The DMN is a Ridem' rag.

fixed

The Maestro
11/27/2006, 11:51 AM
It's amazing how inept the horns offensive line and running game became once VY wasn't there to just take off running when nothing was available and the pass rush was on.

Colt will probably get the Big 12 Offensive POY award, but I think the real stars of the Big 12 should be the OU running backs. Give the award to AD, AP and CB. They were the most dominant force on offense in the Big 12.

Tear Down This Wall
11/27/2006, 12:00 PM
It doesn't surprise me that the DMN is a rag. It's just funny that they built the 'Horn coaches up so high last year after years of underachieving. They want so bad for Texas to be real year in and year out.

Just for the record -
Stoops = 5 conference title trips in 8 years
Marijuana Mack = 3 conference title trips in 9 years

Stoops = 3 conference titles (possibly 4) in 8 years
Marijuana Mack = 1 conference title in 9 years

I admit, though, that Mack has had to kick more players off his squad for dealing cocaine and mysteriously having marijuana around them than Stoops...but, in all other categories, Bob remains superior.

caphorns
11/27/2006, 12:08 PM
You guys sound about as ridiculous at this point as Sooner-hating posters who were trashing Stoops as a coach after 9-3 or even about 5 weeks ago.

We had a good rushing attack before VY and we can do it again. We do have to recruit more durable backs who can pound between the tackles. Melton needs to slide over to defensive end. We also need to start reworking our OL philosophy in the offseason, so we are not relying on the delay rushing play we have been overusing this season. That play should never come out when we are inside the 10. I expect alot to happen in the offseason with this coaching staff. They have shown flexibility on this before and clearly it doesn't make sense to continue to use the zone read formations with Colt at QB. The good news is that we do have Colt and a very good class committed verbally (to go with alot of quality redshirts from the 2006 class). Next season will still be very tough, but I do like having Tech, KSU and Nebbish at home and no game with Ohio State. We've been a consistent 10-win program so it's absurd to say last year was a "fluke" in any sense.

Tear Down This Wall
11/27/2006, 12:12 PM
Listen...all of your bluster, multiple recruiting titles, etc. = one title in nine years. The DMN works night and day to try to work those number up into some sort of thing to be feared...or they did so until this weekend.

It speaks for itself.

starrca23
11/27/2006, 12:16 PM
You need a whole new philosophy a year after winning a national title! Wow, that says it all.

KingDavid
11/27/2006, 12:29 PM
You guys sound about as ridiculous at this point as Sooner-hating posters who were trashing Stoops as a coach after 9-3 or even about 5 weeks ago.

We had a good rushing attack before VY and we can do it again. We do have to recruit more durable backs who can pound between the tackles. Melton needs to slide over to defensive end. We also need to start reworking our OL philosophy in the offseason, so we are not relying on the delay rushing play we have been overusing this season. That play should never come out when we are inside the 10. I expect alot to happen in the offseason with this coaching staff. They have shown flexibility on this before and clearly it doesn't make sense to continue to use the zone read formations with Colt at QB. The good news is that we do have Colt and a very good class committed verbally (to go with alot of quality redshirts from the 2006 class). Next season will still be very tough, but I do like having Tech, KSU and Nebbish at home and no game with Ohio State. We've been a consistent 10-win program so it's absurd to say last year was a "fluke" in any sense.

Horns will be strong next year . . . but they have a big gap to fill in replacing that offensive line. I would argue that O-line play is what made the difference for Paul Thompson this year . . . and Colt McCoy.

Colt looks to be a bit frail, IMO, and he's going to take some shots early on next year while a new unit learns how to play together.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/27/2006, 12:32 PM
You need a whole new philosophy a year after winning a national title! Wow, that says it all.

out of curiosity, what did we do a year after our national title?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/27/2006, 12:33 PM
colt will be lucky if he's cleared to play again. you get weakness in a shoulder and that just never seems to go away...

1stTimeCaller
11/27/2006, 12:46 PM
out of curiosity, what did we do a year after our national title?

realize that Mangino wasn't cut out to be an offensive coordinator?

what did I win?

BIG_IKE
11/27/2006, 01:04 PM
How can people be so blind? Te problem with the UT Rush attak is the fact that the plays being called ar enot the same as last year. Last year UT ran the RB's straight into the hole. This year they run them east to west, never crashng any hole. Which does NOT take advantage of the O-Line or the RB's breakaway speed. Greg Davis is a idiot if he cant see that.

That and the fact that they STILL run the freakin Zone Read with a non zone-read QB. Oh well. I hope they never figure it out,

starrca23
11/27/2006, 02:18 PM
We changed our whole philosophy after we won the title? JMK please explain.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/27/2006, 02:33 PM
We changed our whole philosophy after we won the title? JMK please explain.

in 2000 and 2001 we ran for what 115 yards a game? we were a spread passing team.

in 2002, we went out and looked for a different philosophy and became a spread running team with a power formation for the goal line.

we then became a spread passing team with a power formation for the goal line.

we then became a power running team with a spread passing formation for 3rd and long.

which we have remained for the last couple of years

Veritas
11/27/2006, 02:44 PM
The problem is at the top and his name is Mack Brown. While he's better than the mediocre coaches that preceded him, he's just not a very good coach. I know UT fans get tired of hearing this, but VY was an athletic freakshow and to his credit, Mack was smart enough to step back and let VY win him the title.

UT has always had great recruiting class, and they damn well should, because the only thing easier than recruiting in Texas is recruiting in California. Mack got lucky and found him one of those once in a lifetime players in VY, but the problem is that whole once in a lifetime thing. Ain't gonna be another VY at UT for a good long time, and as long as Mack's the coach, UT doesn't sniff another title.

Problem is that UT did win the title with Mack at the helm, ensuring his tenure for as long as he wishes it.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/27/2006, 02:50 PM
not to mention that he peaked at a time when the rest of the conference was WAY down. anything can happen in a championship game (us in 2004), but making it through the season without a hickey is the tricky part as we found out in 2001 and 2002...

starrca23
11/28/2006, 11:21 AM
That had more to do with personel than philosophy, JMK. Loose Heupel and get an unstoppable Q. Same with your second illustration: Loose J. White and still have AD. I thought the philosophy was still "let the best players make the plays."
Not that any of this is a big deal.

ashley
11/28/2006, 11:57 AM
They tried to run the same offense without VY. What were they thinking.

boomrsoonr
11/28/2006, 11:59 AM
It's amazing how inept the horns offensive line and running game became once VY wasn't there to just take off running when nothing was available and the pass rush was on.

Colt will probably get the Big 12 Offensive POY award, but I think the real stars of the Big 12 should be the OU running backs. Give the award to AD, AP and CB. They were the most dominant force on offense in the Big 12.

The REAL STARS of the Big 12 were what Colt was seeing while being carted off the field. He wasn't holding up his finger to say "we're number 1". He was trying to play with the stars. ;)

I agree the offensive player of the year should probably go to AD if he makes it back in time to play again, or to AP if AD doesn't.

And OU's Defense should be up for some awards too. The D was suspect several times at the start of the year, but really turned into one of the best later on.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/28/2006, 12:02 PM
That had more to do with personel than philosophy, JMK. Loose Heupel and get an unstoppable Q. Same with your second illustration: Loose J. White and still have AD. I thought the philosophy was still "let the best players make the plays."
Not that any of this is a big deal.

the problem is that you are radically changing your offense to emphasize your best talent on campus. seems pretty straight forward except that there are 10 other guys on offense that may or may not fit the new style. therein lies your problem...

utex74
11/28/2006, 10:38 PM
They tried to run the same offense without VY. What were they thinking.

Wasn't quite the same. We only ran the true zone read seven times against a&m. This does not change the fact that the running game never materialized this year and with Colt unable to get the ball more than 20 yds downfield, and getting weaker as the game went on, our offense was exposed last Friday. They will fix it.

badger
11/28/2006, 11:36 PM
c'mon whorns... you KNOW you don't want greg davis around. i may never say it again, but you can do better!!!

tbl
11/28/2006, 11:42 PM
We got beat this year without Vince Young.... Let's not forget that.

FourKings
11/28/2006, 11:53 PM
c'mon whorns... you KNOW you don't want greg davis around. i may never say it again, but you can do better!!!

Dont say that, someone might be reading this and actually pay attention to it!
We need him there being clueless with his horizontal offense keeping everyone they play in games!:)
Besides, just another coach we cant make fun of all the time!:D

badger
11/28/2006, 11:58 PM
you're right. keep greg davis--- and mack brown. aside from lucky victories the past two years, you've been great for ou!

btw,everybody please vote if you love sherri and the sooners:
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/womenbb/index

(will post on every board until tennessee dies)

Rocker
11/29/2006, 05:25 AM
ONCE AGAIN SEE MY SIGNATURE
Thank You!

bluedogok
11/29/2006, 11:08 AM
I talked to a former coworker today for the first time since their 2 losses, he pretty much is afraid that is the case. They are right were they were before VY.

TexasLidig8r
11/29/2006, 11:58 AM
you're right. keep greg davis--- and mack brown. aside from lucky victories the past two years, you've been great for ou!

45 - 12 and 28 - 10 were... lucky? :rolleyes:

MiccoMacey
11/29/2006, 12:03 PM
45-12...no.

28-10 wasn't so much as luck as we didn't bring our A game. Which is irrelevent, because you only get one shot at the title and if you don't bring your A game, you deserve to lose.

But it certainly wasn't the throttling it was last year.

Luthor
11/29/2006, 02:51 PM
How can people be so blind? Te problem with the UT Rush attak is the fact that the plays being called ar enot the same as last year. Last year UT ran the RB's straight into the hole. This year they run them east to west, never crashng any hole. Which does NOT take advantage of the O-Line or the RB's breakaway speed. Greg Davis is a idiot if he cant see that.

That and the fact that they STILL run the freakin Zone Read with a non zone-read QB. Oh well. I hope they never figure it out,

Woah, what are you drinking there fella? I got motion sickness from trying to read your post.

stoopified
11/29/2006, 05:33 PM
It is 4:33 CST and UT still sucks.