PDA

View Full Version : Why does Pagosa Springs, CO hate peace on earth?

Hatfield
11/27/2006, 10:59 AM
tis the season and all....this is beyond silly.

http://www.pagosadailypost.com/UserFiles/Image/2006/11/27Peace.jpg

PAGOSA SPRINGS, CO

Peace on Earth Illegal in Loma Linda?
Bill Hudson | 11/27/06

“Peace on Earth” has apparently been deemed an illegal message in Loma Linda subdivision, as of last week.

Loma Linda resident and former homeowner association president Lisa Jensen, and her husband, Bill Trimarco, mounted a large holiday wreath, decked out in Christmas lights and a red ribbon, on the side of her home on November 19, and promptly received a letter from the Loma Linda association board, informing her that she would be facing a fine of $25 per day for continuing to display her wreath. The board’s issue? The wreath is in the shape of a peace symbol.

“I hung a similar wreath last year,” Lisa said in a Post interview Sunday, “and had no complaints. But that one wasn’t in the shape of a peace sign.” Jensen said people have been asking her if the wreath was meant as an anti-war statement, “and I really didn’t mean it to mean anything like that. It simply meant ‘peace on earth.’ That’s kind of a universal sentiment this time of year.”Homeowner association president Bob Kearns was quoted in the Durango Herald as saying that the board had required another resident to remove peace symbols a week before, and that property owner complied. Kearns told Jensen that the peace symbol expressed a controversial sentiment, and that the board had received several complaints” about Jensen’s wreath.

The Herald said Kearns had declined to describe the complaints he had received about Jensen's wreath, but expressed his own opinion.

"The peace sign has a lot of negativity associated with it," he said. "It's also an anti-Christ sign. That's how it started."

According to a University of California web site, the peace symbol was designed in 1958 by British designer Gerald Holtom as a symbol promoting nuclear disarmament, and has since been used around the world as a symbol of peace.

The subdivision covenants include prohibitions against the display of signs, billboards and advertising, but Jensen said she has counted about 50 real estate and construction company signs currently displayed throughout the subdivision. After receiving the warning letter on Tuesday, Jensen attended the association’s Architectural Committee meeting on Wednesday, to find out about appealing the board decision. The Architectural Committee, whose duties include the enforcement of the no-signage covenant, told Jensen that they’d had nothing to do with the letter.

In a letter posted on the Pagosa.com web site, Architectural Committee chairman Jack Lily wrote, “I and my four fellow members were told to resign our positions on this committee as we disagreed with the Association Board….The three person Board of Directors received two complaints from residents who are understandably sensitive to the current efforts in Iraq and believed these symbols to be other that a wish for peace. The Architectural Committee was asked to intervene. The five members met and decided that no message, other than a wish for peace could be inferred in the symbols and saw no violation of the CC&R's. The Board of Directors has the authority to override the ACC and did so. But that wasn't enough. They demanded that anyone that disagreed with them should be removed from the committee. We all resigned.”

Jensen said that the neighbors she has spoken with about the fine “are all pretty outraged by what’s happening.” Since the Durango Herald story appeared, Jensen said she has received phone calls from concerned people as far away as Denver. “These are total strangers; some have offered money to help pay for the fine. But I’m hoping the board will drop it and we’ll never have to pay this fine.”

Jensen said she intends to leave the wreath up through the holidays. At $25 per day, she estimates, the board-ordered fine will amount to over $1000.

Hatfield
11/27/2006, 11:01 AM
link to the article http://pagosadailypost.com/pagosa_ne...in_Loma_Linda?

crawfish
11/27/2006, 12:04 PM
Extremism makes people loopy. :mad:

Widescreen
11/27/2006, 12:16 PM
That particular symbol isn't a "peace on earth" symbol - it has a very specific anti-war meaning which is not the same thing as "peace on earth". The dove and olive branch are the standard symbols for "peace on earth". Still, it's goofy that these people's free speech rights are being abridged. They should be able to display it.

Ike
11/27/2006, 01:35 PM
Some people love to go out of their way to turn molehills into mountains.

yermom
11/27/2006, 02:00 PM
how do they enforce payment on the fine?

i'd tell them shove it and to call the cops if they didn't like it

JohnnyMack
11/27/2006, 03:06 PM
how do they enforce payment on the fine?

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/real-estate/HOA-horrors1.asp

Danny_Boy
11/27/2006, 03:10 PM
They have some natural hot tubs above the river, very nice.

Rogue
11/27/2006, 06:28 PM
A good out-of-the-way ski area near there. Wolf Creek I think.
They let you ski "out of bounds" and pick you up with a Cat and a tow-rope.

If you whipper-snappers are into the leg-burning insanity that is virgin powder I recommend it. I can't ski that stuff much these days.

Edit: I forgot the best part. Great food at the lodge there. I think it's one of the tribe-owned places and they have some yummie burritos. :twinkies:

picasso
11/27/2006, 06:35 PM
my only question is has she been hanging that since she was born? because war and **** has been going non-stop for sometime now. especially in the middle of thee east.

usmc-sooner
11/27/2006, 07:07 PM
I used to live in Durango, and I worked for a guy from Pagosa, let me try to shed a little light IMO about this.

There are a lot of liberal hippies in SW Colorado, many that haved moved in from California. They really try to bring the CALI attitude to SW Colorado. The locals absolutely freakin hate them. I'd imagine that this has more to do with it than anything.