PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Sooners

caphorns
11/27/2006, 10:50 AM
I would certainly not have predicted it and didn't. Your team really hung in there through a ton of adversity. I'm sure you guys are pretty damn proud of this unit and I am envious this time around. We've been there before and I felt about the same way going into the Big XII conference championship a few years back, despite all the ugly stuff that was said about "backdooring" etc. I'm sorry, but when you only lose 1 game in conference (and especially a rivalry match like the RRS), you aren't backdooring crap. Good job Sooners and good luck with the Huskers and the BCS. Do the conference well, because it looks like Big 12 disprespect is at an all-time high. The Harris Poll is absurd ranking such a lousy ND team over OU at this stage in the season. Senseless.

I just hope whatever shakes out in the bowls we don't see some SEC team whipping up on the Ags in the Cotton Bowl. Somebody needs to go in there and show up the SEC. After watching that crappy game on Friday, I am certain ATM is unfortunately not the team to get the job done. But, that's likely what we'll get.

I have no excuses for our team's horrible play at this point in the season. At the beginning of the season, this team showed a lack of emotion and intensity which I dismissed at the time. It's just practice, right? While it seemed like things picked up over the tough 3 game stretch that was the heart of our season, that lack of emotion and intensity really bit us in the butt in the end. We would have lost to KSU again at the level of play we exhibited Friday. I have little doubt that KSU and ATM are mediocre at best.

Anyway, good luck Sooners.

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/27/2006, 10:56 AM
Nice post, thanks

OU Adonis
11/27/2006, 11:00 AM
I am glad someone talked you down from the ledge Cap. ;)

Scott D
11/27/2006, 11:02 AM
Interesting List (http://www.fanblogs.com/harris_poll/005526.php) of who votes in the Harris Poll. I don't think they have enough with ND ties myself. ;)

birddog
11/27/2006, 11:03 AM
hmmm, what are you up to cap?
watch yer back sooner fans.

:D

thanks.

caphorns
11/27/2006, 11:08 AM
Adonis - it was not a good day on Friday at all. But after a weekend of reflection and risking life and limb to latch some bulbs on the top of my roof, I just can't worry about it much. There is something to moving on before posting or really talking about these things. No loss of love for my team at all. I'm really not very upset at the coaching staff either. I just wish some of our better players (referring to Crowder, Robison, Mike Griffin, Big Bank, Sendlein, Studdard, Selvin Young and Aaron Ross) could have gone out on a higher note.

OUDoc
11/27/2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks, cap.

swardboy
11/27/2006, 11:29 AM
Appreciate the post cap....football is a "funny" game.

TexasLidig8r
11/27/2006, 11:38 AM
[AntiGDC]"Sooner lovin sycophant!" [AntiGDC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

;)

Flagstaffsooner
11/27/2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks Cappy, lots of class. Just hang in there, we know how you feel.

and Lid, you suck!;)

caphorns
11/27/2006, 11:50 AM
Our season pretty much mirrors what you guys did in 2001. What sickens me is to see Pete Carroll going back for more this year. That's depressing right there. Can anyone on the West Coast - other than USC - recruit 5-star players at all?

Luthor
11/27/2006, 11:51 AM
I second Cap's congrats to you Sooners. Win, lose or draw in the CCG at least you won the game you needed to in order to get there. I won't even mention us crapping in our pants 2 consecutives games when all we needed was 1. The thought that we actually did lose to the better team both times makes me want to Bobby Knight my monitor right out into the hall.

soonersam
11/27/2006, 12:12 PM
Cap you take a lot of crap on this board and rightfully so. But your the only WhornFan Ive ever been able to listen to.....
Nice Post and thanks for keepin it classy San Diego

Texas Golfer
11/27/2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks, Cappy. I only hope we don't take this gift lightly. I hope the Sooners not only beat the Huskers but beat them so bad that Clownahan has a meltdown on camera.

SoonerShark
11/27/2006, 12:25 PM
Very gracious. This has been a stressful year for all the folks at the top, early for us, and late for UT.

Colt McCoy surely is the offensive player of the year. Being knocked out of one game and playing without a wing in another should not count too strongly against him. I don't know what the A&M defensive player was thinking when he hit McCoy as he was taking off his helmet. If the class issue alone were not enough, it hurt his team, which could have cost A&M the game. I have seen roughing the passer penalties assessed for brushing against a QB who just released the ball. This situation was outrageous.

OklahomaRed
11/27/2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks Cap. It would have been nicer to beat you guys in the RRSO, but I'm not going to complain. I just had a longhorn stop me in the hallway and ask if I knew anyone that needed some Big 12 championship game tickets. I'm sure he's not the only one trying to dump some tickets. You guys were there, but football games still have to be played. Here's hoping we can gain some respect for the Big 12 by going up to KC and winning, and then winning our BCS game in style !!! :texan:

NormanPride
11/27/2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks, cap. Always respected you as a poster. We'll still kick the tar out of you guys next year in the RRS. ;)

douxpaysan
11/27/2006, 12:33 PM
Re: OU best team in B12 right now

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by douxpaysan
I think Oklahoma beats Texas with or without AD if they played saturday.

Oh that's ripe coming from a soonerfan. How long have you been part of this rodeo? Answer: long enuff to gig a longhorn:P

KingDavid
11/27/2006, 12:39 PM
Adonis - it was not a good day on Friday at all. But after a weekend of reflection and risking life and limb to latch some bulbs on the top of my roof, I just can't worry about it much. There is something to moving on before posting or really talking about these things. No loss of love for my team at all. I'm really not very upset at the coaching staff either. I just wish some of our better players (referring to Crowder, Robison, Mike Griffin, Big Bank, Sendlein, Studdard, Selvin Young and Aaron Ross) could have gone out on a higher note.

Those guys are warriors - glad to see them go - especially Crowder and Robison. And Ross. Hell, all of 'em.

Thanks for the honorable post, Cap. I know I'll be pulling for the horns wherever they play. I wish they could have pulled Wisconsin in the Alamo Bowl and destroyed them.

Ike
11/27/2006, 01:02 PM
dammit Cap and Luthor....I wanted to come here and enjoy some longhorn misery and you give us this respectful bullcrap!! ;)

Just playin, cause I know how it feels to be on your end of this stick to. Thanks for your words, and good luck representing the BigXII in whichever bowl you guys get.

caphorns
11/27/2006, 01:11 PM
Re: OU best team in B12 right now

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by douxpaysan
I think Oklahoma beats Texas with or without AD if they played saturday.

Oh that's ripe coming from a soonerfan. How long have you been part of this rodeo? Answer: long enuff to gig a longhorn:P

I stand by my answer. The comment was as much a jab at the 2001, 2002, 2003 posting around here and elsewhere as anything, so you should have seen that coming.

Now as for who would win? I don't know. Edge definitely to the sooners. But, you guys had your hands full with a mediocre Oke State so I don't think either team can say for certain how a rematch RRS would go. I can say our odds of beating you guys with a half-winged Colt and a lame duck DC are not good at all. In other words, we played these last two games with the cards we were dealt and don't think that those cards would give me much confidence in an OU rematch win either. But, that's how things go sometime and the pendulum of good news just swung hard against us.

As for reactions about being down, I'd bitch about the referees and such, but I really don't think that's it. These are 2 games that I expected Texas to have won convincingly. So a few blown calls here or there don't matter much. Outsqueeking a mouse is really not what this deal should be about for either of our programs.

However, assessment on the year clearly goes to OU. You guys took extremely adverse circumstances and turned it into a shot at the Big XII title and a damn good chance of returning to a BCS bowl game. So, for that, I am congratulating you guys.

SoonerJLB
11/27/2006, 01:17 PM
We've been there before and I felt about the same way going into the Big XII conference championship a few years back, despite all the ugly stuff that was said about "backdooring" etc. Anyway, good luck Sooners.

Cap, thanks for the props! By the way, the dig on the :texan: Longhorns about "backdooring" wasn't about football...we were just commenting on the Longhorn's sexual preferences> :)

Flagstaffsooner
11/27/2006, 01:19 PM
Spek for our Longwhorn friends for eating their crow well. Lord knows we've had that meal on our table a few times and didn't take as well.

Crimson and Orange
11/27/2006, 01:20 PM
Let me chime in my congrats to you all as well. OU did this year what Texas did the past few years -- took the RRS loss and turned it into a nice long winning streak built on determination. Bob deserves Coach of the Year after all the crap he's put up with.

I was honestly happy to see y'all beat Okie State Saturday. We didn't deserve to win the South, and the way we have been playing would have meant a real massacre in KC. A tired, flat UT team without its QB playing a rematch, in the cold, at night, in front of an all-red crowd, against a fired-up NU team that we got lucky to beat a month ago? They'd have KILLED us.

Congratulations to OU on winning the South, and I wish y'all the best of luck this weekend. Keep the title in the South, where it belongs.

swardboy
11/27/2006, 01:22 PM
Heh....bet gdc is puking somewhere about now...

OK2LA
11/27/2006, 01:39 PM
Look,

I hate to have to bring this love fest to a screeching halt, but one thing that is being overlooked here . . .

texas sucks.

EVEN when they are being all nicey nice :D

Tulsa_Fireman
11/27/2006, 02:36 PM
texas sucks.

Amen. Texas still sucks. Massively so.

Mucho props to the posters for taking the high road, though. As men, I tip my hat to you and hope to hell we step up and punch some hillbilly hatin' cornshucker right in the snoot. We'll see you boys next year so we can settle the South straight up.

Good form, fellas.

TexasSooner01
11/27/2006, 02:54 PM
Let me chime in my congrats to you all as well. OU did this year what Texas did the past few years -- took the RRS loss and turned it into a nice long winning streak built on determination. Bob deserves Coach of the Year after all the crap he's put up with.
I was honestly happy to see y'all beat Okie State Saturday. We didn't deserve to win the South, and the way we have been playing would have meant a real massacre in KC. A tired, flat UT team without its QB playing a rematch, in the cold, at night, in front of an all-red crowd, against a fired-up NU team that we got lucky to beat a month ago? They'd have KILLED us.

Congratulations to OU on winning the South, and I wish y'all the best of luck this weekend. Keep the title in the South, where it belongs.

I agree! Bob Stoops deserves Coach of the Year! :D

Thanks for all the Congratulations and stuff even if its from horn fans ;)

FourKings
11/27/2006, 03:08 PM
I am almost speechless.....Cap has some class, nice job man!

n8v_ndn
11/27/2006, 03:41 PM
Just when you think the time's right to get some quality trash talkin in...they pull motherchuckin' classy move. Honestly, it's fans like Luthor and Cap who make living here tolerable.

I do have to ask though...WTH's up with Robison's eyes?! Those black shark eyes look like a Vampire from Underworld.

MiccoMacey
11/27/2006, 03:52 PM
So, did Dean get a hold of Cap's password, or was it bri?

Alright...who's on here posting for Cap? :D

Harry Beanbag
11/27/2006, 03:52 PM
Interesting List (http://www.fanblogs.com/harris_poll/005526.php) of who votes in the Harris Poll. I don't think they have enough with ND ties myself. ;)

Heh, Dick Bestwick. I have no idea who the dude is, but his name is almost as unfortunate as that Kleinpeter guy.

caphorns
11/27/2006, 03:53 PM
Fairly good mix of comments here. I think we've both seen the bottom end too much lately to be overly arrogant personally. But don't count me as a fan in any sense of your team. I do like the tanacity of your players in playing through the distractions. I'd take them against any sucker in the country right now. But, OU red makes my blood boil and I did almost puke - again - after that last OSU pass fell incomplete. Whatever happens with NU is really irrelevant to me at this point. Texas loses by not being there and it doesn't matter which oppenent wins the conference - we lose. I just want the teams that go out to do their job in the bowl games, because the conference has been pretty much disrespected all year.

Soonerus
11/27/2006, 04:52 PM
Give Cap credit for coming over and sharing his thoughts....

RedstickSooner
11/27/2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Cap - classy post.

I have to confess, when y'all lost to aTm... Well, I giggled like a schoolgirl.

Nuthin' personal, yo. I just couldn't help myself. There'd been some long thread back before the RRS, asking if we'd rather beat y'all, and not make it to the CCG, or lose to y'all, and make it to the CCG.

I'd said CCG, even though it seemed like an impossible long shot ('course, since it'd happened to us just five years ago, it obviously wasn't *impossible). Still, when we got to the next-to-last week of the season and you were still undefeated in conference play... I pretty much gave up.

But then, the Mildcats beat y'all. Suddenly, I started to wonder a bit. I mean, yeah, you were still pretty much a lock for the CCG, but, well, that door had cracked just a bit open. A tiny bit. Not that I thought aTm had any chance, playing in Austin and all.

Figured I'd watch the game, though.

I won't rehash it. No real reason to, right?

But, yeah, I giggled. It's wrong to take pleasure at someone else's pain, sure, but this pain just brought such delightful opportunity to the Sooners, y'know?

Anyhow, g'luck in your bowl game this year - I honestly mean that. Most years I root against you unless I really, really, really loathe who you're playing. (Okay, so, I've rooted against you except when you played the University of Spoiled Children.)

But this year, I'm *totally* non-adverse to y'all winning your bowl game. So, g'luck, for what it's worth :)

caphorns
11/27/2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks Redstick. Good comments. I'd imagine the conference improving the preseason SOS is a goal we can all agree upon going into next year. Winning bowl games would be a good start at it.

TXBOOMER
11/27/2006, 07:10 PM
Cap.......stop trying to make yourself out to be a respectable human being. You are much easier to hate when texass is winning.

yermom
11/27/2006, 07:30 PM
damn wh0rns taking away our ability to talk smack about going to KC

i hate it when they do this :mad:

Blues1
11/27/2006, 07:53 PM
Ok going to chime in...I took a lot of crap here last year on this board saying I was rooting for texas in the rose bowl ( you guys saved our 47 game streak as far as I'm concerned) -IF so cal had got to the 40's plus wins who knows what would have happened in the Oregon state game..?? - Either way I didn't even want usc getting close....For any True COLLEGE FOOTBALL Fan it's been a very interesting year - For us SOONER Fans - it's been a Very Good year and could be GREAT year depending on the next two games - So have Fun in your Bowl game and let all college fans enjoy December and January cause it's long time from Jan 8th to September 1st ---
Everyone Keep Rockin'

Go SOONERS - BEAT the Huskers......
BOOMER SOONER....!!!

olevetonahill
11/27/2006, 08:06 PM
****ing :texan: s
hell horndogs we will get the job done ;)
thanks Yall :texan: s

TUSooner
11/27/2006, 08:38 PM
We have some pretty classy horn fans posting here.

What have we done wrong?! :eek: :confused:
;)

Thanks, y'all. I would say something - like I used to tell the kids' teams I coached - about sports being a test of how we handle failure and disappointment and stuff. And I might say you passed the test. But that would be all mushy and philosophical; so I won't.

aero
11/27/2006, 10:25 PM
Nice post, cap. You too, Luthor. I reveled in your teams demise while it brought back memories of our own the last few years. I'm sure you enjoyed that so I'll enjoy this time. :D Good luck in your bowl and I'll be pulling for all B12 teams to kick butt.

FlatheadSooner
11/27/2006, 11:14 PM
ATTENTION SOONERS!

Look away from the light! They're trying to soften us up before NU.

There'll be time for this backslapping after OUr BCS bowl win.

;)

EstablishedSooner1967
11/27/2006, 11:27 PM
you are a bigger man than me.... not sure if I could write that in 2001.... but thanks for the nice note..

92Ag95
11/28/2006, 12:19 AM
I have little doubt that KSU and ATM are mediocre at best.

Anyway, good luck Sooners.

[Dr. Evil]Riiiiiight[/Dr. Evil]

OUswagger
11/28/2006, 01:09 AM
thanks cappy, I've gotta lotta whorn fans as friends from wierd austin here in the SOONER state. I've taken ribbing from them for years and even they gave some love. Thanks again but till next year the winner will go to a NC.

iknowyoudidnt
11/28/2006, 05:21 AM
I have no excuses for our team's horrible play at this point in the season. At the beginning of the season, this team showed a lack of emotion and intensity which I dismissed at the time. It's just practice, right? While it seemed like things picked up over the tough 3 game stretch that was the heart of our season, that lack of emotion and intensity really bit us in the butt in the end.
Man, you're talking to a group of people that really know how you feel. The highs and lows we've felt the last few years have been far more painful than just being low. We've had some heartbreaks from teams that should have done more, and they still hurt. This year's team, and the way it's overachieved has been a lot more satisfying as a fan than rolling over everybody and then getting embarrassed in the end.

I felt like OU's players in the past few years have played with a sense of entitlement, and without passion or the burning desire to win. It's almost as if they expected to win simply by being Oklahoma. As we've recruited better athletes, the team's persona has seemingly shifted, almost like the players are so used to being physically superior to everybody else, they just expect the wins to fall into place. When you combine that with recent success, it's almost as if you get a team that becomes apathetic if they know they're not playing for it all, or if they don't feel like there's much of a challenge ahead of them. We've seen it for a few years now, and it seems like Texas is going through a bit of it too. Is there such a thing as a hangover after winning a championship? Is there more downside to recruiting the best athletes than we realize? If you build a team of people that have never lost, can you really predict how they'll react to it?

I don't love the horns, but I'm one of those fans that roots for the conference second, and likes to see our rivals stay strong, so we can play great games another day. Good luck to you guys the rest of the year, and lets hope your guys get out of their funk and start performing the way they're expected to real soon.

caphorns
11/28/2006, 02:39 PM
[Dr. Evil]Riiiiiight[/Dr. Evil]

Maybe I'm not giving Kansas State enough credit.