PDA

View Full Version : Don't use WalMart Tire Lube Express

Hot Rod
11/27/2006, 10:30 AM
For awhile now, I've been using WalMart for my oil changes and tires, and it has been nice to have it done while grabbing things in the store while it's being taken care of.

On my last two trips, they claim (by their receipt) that they add windshield wiper fluid. The day of or afterwards, I check this fluid while driving, and it remains empty. I begin to think "I wonder what else they are slacking on, even though they say they do".

Just with Christmas shopping about to take place, my transmission starts acting up, and behold what do I find??? My transmission fluid is bone dry, after they "say" they've been adding to it. I have to drop a few hundred dollars to get the repairs done, so now I feel like they are somewhat responsible.

I call them this morning and they say "there's nothing we can do about it" and "when we state that we fill something, we do it". I told them that they didn't, and the guy continues to state that they do. I then told him that just because you write something that says you do it, doesn't always mean that you do. If nothing else, I would just like for them to be responsible for something on this matter.

Therefore, if you do take your vehicle to be serviced there, you might want to double-check your fluids later on. The best way ultimately, is to do it yourself, I guess, but it was such a convienence and it was cheap. I have had good service though, up until the last few months.

Mjcpr
11/27/2006, 10:33 AM
How often are you supposed to have your tires lubed anyway?

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2006, 10:47 AM
Take it back. Leave the washer fluid low, and something else if you feel frisky.

Check it in the lot immediately after they perform their duty.

Nail them then.

Petro-Sooner
11/27/2006, 10:47 AM
As dad once told me. Dont trust those guys back there making minimum wage. Do it yourself so you know its done right.

OU4LIFE
11/27/2006, 10:49 AM
How often are you supposed to have your tires lubed anyway?

it varies from brand to brand.

Hatfield
11/27/2006, 10:54 AM
once you drive off you lose a lot of bargaining power.

check it there with them present.

Mjcpr
11/27/2006, 10:59 AM

Yeah, I'll wait to hear it from Boarder if it's all the same to you.

Hot Rod
11/27/2006, 11:17 AM
once you drive off you lose a lot of bargaining power.

check it there with them present.

True, but the guy acted like they couldn't have made a single mistake. I told him I wasn't making it up and had my daughter with me and showed her as we were leaving on that one occasion, that they didn't add the wiper fluid.

However, the damage has been done, and no I shouldn't have to double-check the service they provided. As I said earlier, the best way to make sure it's done right, is to do it yourself.

frankensooner
11/27/2006, 11:25 AM
I don't have car care done at Wal Hell, just like I don't have dental work done at the post office. I have heard many nightmare stories from wal mart and k mart oil changes. If you like your car, just don't do it.

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2006, 11:30 AM
If I was silly enough to go there in the first place, you can bet I'd want to nail their but with real proof.

Osce0la
11/27/2006, 11:33 AM
Take it again and if they do fill everything up just drain it in the parking lot...Then go in and nail them - YWIA!

Howzit
11/27/2006, 11:33 AM

Everyone likes their own brand.

VeeJay
11/27/2006, 11:38 AM
Always check what they say they're doing.

I took it for granted the local Toyota dealership knew what they were doing when they changed the oil in my new Tundra a couple of years ago.

A few days after the service, my truck broke down on the way home from work. All the oil had leaked out. The dealership claimed they didn't know how it happened. Methinks the ham-and-egger forgot to put the plug back in, or didn't tighten it all the way.

Thank God it was still under warranty, or I'd have been facing an $8000 repair bill. They never take responsibility in an instance like this.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/27/2006, 12:00 PM
You must not care very much to have Wally World lube your car...

And I had to replace a manual transmission on a toyota corolla once as the Toyota dealer that serviced my transmission, failed to add gear lube and my transmission melted on the highway. Luckily, the ramp I coasted off on had anouther toyota dealer just down the road and they had a rebuilt transmission in the shop...

C&CDean
11/27/2006, 12:04 PM
1. You should never have to add transmission fluid unless you've got a leak.

2. If your transmission is low, it ain't Walmart's fault.

3. Never trust low-IQ people to work on your vehicle.

4. Monitoring fluid levels in your vehicle is easier than picking a dingleberry outta your asscrack. Any 9-year old immigrant can do it. Why would you allow some toothless tweaker at Walmart to even touch your vehicle?

5. People really should change their own oil, adjust air pressure in their own tires, and rotate their own tires. It ain't hard.

HoserSooner
11/27/2006, 12:10 PM
I worked at the Wally Mart Tire/Lube Express while in college.

They hired me on the spot, without even asking if I had ever done any similar work or had any knowledge, and didn't bother to give/offer me any training (not that it's hard to change oil).

We had more guys come back with problems afterwards. Not putting the oil cap back on or not tight enough, drain plug not tight, tires not balanced properly or at all. It was a friggin' joke.

And when it came to checking the fluid levels etc., half the time we just checked it off and sent the paperwork out to the front.

Hot Rod
11/27/2006, 12:20 PM
1. You should never have to add transmission fluid unless you've got a leak.

2. If your transmission is low, it ain't Walmart's fault.

3. Never trust low-IQ people to work on your vehicle.

4. Monitoring fluid levels in your vehicle is easier than picking a dingleberry outta your asscrack. Any 9-year old immigrant can do it. Why would you allow some toothless tweaker at Walmart to even touch your vehicle?

5. People really should change their own oil, adjust air pressure in their own tires, and rotate their own tires. It ain't hard.

You make some good points Dean, but the overall thing about it is, when you pay for a service (no matter what type), and they say that they've done that service, you expect it to be done.

I've never had any complaints about it prior to this event. This type of service is popular due to its convienent access.

Hoser:
"And when it came to checking the fluid levels etc., half the time we just checked it off and sent the paperwork out to the front."
There's my point validated right there! Anyone can say or note that they've done work.

pb4ou
11/27/2006, 12:28 PM
I used to wonder about Walmart's mechanics actually doing the work, while you shop.

I'd prefer to spend a few more extra dollars to take it to a place where you can actually see what they are doing. There was this one place I used to take my car (before I moved upstate) that would actually show you the new oil on the dipstick and the level.

Ike
11/27/2006, 01:26 PM
I used to wonder about Walmart's mechanics actually doing the work, while you shop.

I'd prefer to spend a few more extra dollars to take it to a place where you can actually see what they are doing. There was this one place I used to take my car (before I moved upstate) that would actually show you the new oil on the dipstick and the level.

My mechanic does these things. shows me exactly what they see, what they are going to fix, and what they have fixed. I'm damn glad I found a good mechanic here because I had had it up to here with some crap ones just before I found his shop.

MamaMia
11/27/2006, 01:50 PM
You could call 1-800-Walmart and file a complaint, however they aren't as concerned about cheating people as the use to be.

toast
11/27/2006, 01:59 PM
You had me at "Don't use WalMart..."

GrapevineSooner
11/27/2006, 02:18 PM
A few years ago, these numbskulls didn't tighten the drain plug on my wife's car. It almost died on NW Highway in Grapevine. Fortunately, she was able to make it over to our mechanic who promptly called the Wal-Mart, arranged to have it towed back to their shop (at their expesne).

My wife called her dad, he went up there and ripped everyone up there a new one.

Suffice to say, I never get my oil done at Wally World anymore.