PDA

View Full Version : Des Moines TV station says Chizik is new ISU coach.

colleyvillesooner
11/27/2006, 10:27 AM
http://iowastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=612650

http://www.woi-tv.com/

The Iowa State Cyclones have a new Head Football Coach. ABC5 Sports Director John Walters has confirmed the Cyclones have hired University of Texas Defensive Coordinator Gene Chizik. Chizik will officially introduced at a news conference tonight at 6 p.m. at Hilton Coliseum. ABC5 Sports is in Ames, and will be there all day getting you the latest information. You can see the news confrence live on ABC5 Television.

birddog
11/27/2006, 10:30 AM
crazy. does he have any ties to them at all?

Sooner in Tampa
11/27/2006, 10:32 AM
I would be shocked. Why would Chizik settle for ISU? There are quite a few better openings out there.

TrophyCollector
11/27/2006, 10:32 AM
If whornfans ever comes back up maybe we can get some reaction. They should be up by late Jan. to throw down some recruiting smack.

Sooner in Tampa
11/27/2006, 10:33 AM
If whornfans ever comes back up maybe we can get some reaction. They should be up by late Jan. to throw down some recruiting smack.It was up earlier...I was suprised at how mild the meltdown was...but there were threads being deleted left and right. :D

TrophyCollector
11/27/2006, 10:33 AM
John Walters is an ABC reporter, so I guess it is a 70/50 shot he is correct.

mrowl
11/27/2006, 10:34 AM
huh? ISU? I guess he is not as good as we thought.

Sooner in Tampa
11/27/2006, 10:36 AM
It was up earlier...I was suprised at how mild the meltdown was...but there were threads being deleted left and right. :DHEH...nevermind...DOWN AGAIN :D :D :D :D :D :D

:pop:

sooner518
11/27/2006, 10:40 AM
good grief. With the way that everyone has been ****ing their pants over this guy over the past couple years, you'd think he could do better than ISU.

TrophyCollector
11/27/2006, 10:44 AM
good grief. With the way that everyone has been ****ing their pants over this guy over the past couple years, you'd think he could do better than ISU.

I dunno, the KSU offense didn't seem all that impressed with him.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/27/2006, 10:48 AM
losing coordinators in conference is weird

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/27/2006, 10:51 AM
ESPN is saying that ISU is interested in the Central Michigan guy ?

Iowa State officials would not reveal who has been picked to replace McCarney, who resigned this month after 12 seasons. In a letter to Iowa State fans, athletic director Jamie Pollard wrote that the new coach was "our No. 1 choice from the first day of the search."

Iowa State, which finished 4-8 this season, has expressed interest in at least three candidates: Kelly, Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell and San Diego head coach Jim Harbaugh. Jack Bechta, Harbaugh's agent, told the San Diego Union-Tribune on Wednesday that Harbaugh was no longer a candidate.

Kelly's team faces Ohio for the Mid-American Conference title on Thursday.

Iowa State was 56-84 overall under McCarney and snapped a 22-year postseason drought with five bowl appearances in his final seven seasons.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/27/2006, 10:54 AM
Perhaps, could this be a reason the Aggies won last Friday...not exactly focused on the game?

caphorns
11/27/2006, 11:00 AM
This report has some legs apparently. ISU's a pretty good starter job for a HC. Why nothing better? I'd assume that pass defense rankings in the 100s don't usually land you a top HC job.

JohnnyMack
11/27/2006, 11:07 AM
I'd assume that pass defense rankings in the 100s don't usually land you a top HC job.

http://www.qis.net/~champion/images/hhs/paper-drive-1.jpg

Partial Qualifier
11/27/2006, 11:56 AM
huh? ISU? I guess he is not as good as we thought.

his stock has taken an epic nosedive recently. ISU is a black hole. But hey, if he can get them to a bowl game then he'll get the attention of bigger, better programs

JohnnyMack
11/27/2006, 12:07 PM
his stock has taken an epic nosedive recently. ISU is a black hole. But hey, if he can get them to a bowl game then he'll get the attention of bigger, better programs

Are you talking about Dan McCarney or Chizik.

Partial Qualifier
11/27/2006, 12:12 PM
Chizik. I'm among those who think McCarney did as good as a man could do with that program.

Tear Down This Wall
11/27/2006, 12:18 PM
There's no way Chizik takes this job. The Michigan State job is out there, Miami, Alabama...surely he's smarter than to take the Iowa Aggie job.

JohnnyMack
11/27/2006, 12:29 PM
Chizik. I'm among those who think McCarney did as good as a man could do with that program.

I forgot my winky face. Isn't that what they said about McCarney when he was an up and coming assistant?

Sooner in Tampa
11/27/2006, 12:32 PM
There's no way Chizik takes this job. The Michigan State job is out there, Miami, Alabama...surely he's smarter than to take the Iowa Aggie job.He can't be THAT smart...afterall he is a coach for Sexat.

Partial Qualifier
11/27/2006, 12:33 PM
I forgot my winky face. Isn't that what they said about McCarney when he was an up and coming assistant?

heh! yeah, I think that's exactly what they said about McCarney. Heck, come to think of it - they did go to a bowl game a couple times under McCarney, didn't they? Nobody came a-knockin for Dan.... oops......

The ISU program just doesn't have the resources (or the appeal) to get many blue-chip players. maybe Chizik is looking at what comes back at TX next year, thinks it's going to be a rough one so he's getting while his name still has some appeal?

idunno

william_brasky
11/27/2006, 12:37 PM
it's up on the ESPN site
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2676900

The Senator
11/27/2006, 12:49 PM
There's no way Chizik takes this job. The Michigan State job is out there. . .
I don't know if Chizik was ever interested in Sparty, but I doubt Sparty was ever interested in Chizik.

Michigan State wanted Mark Dantonio, and they got him. The media doesn't slobber over him like they do Chizik, but he's a damn good coach. He has ties to MSU, and they had a pretty good pass defense when he coached the secondary. He was Ohio State's DC when they won the national title, and he's gotten Cincinnati to two bowls in three years. Not too shabby, considering how little support UC football receives.

He took on tough OOC opponents at UC and is known as a no-nonsense guy, which provides the MSU administration the 180 degree turn from Smith that they wanted. IMO, this is a very good pick-up for Michigan State.

Ike
11/27/2006, 12:52 PM
There's no way Chizik takes this job. The Michigan State job is out there, Miami, Alabama...surely he's smarter than to take the Iowa Aggie job.

The MSU job has been taken by the HC from Cincy.

JohnnyMack
11/27/2006, 12:57 PM
heh! yeah, I think that's exactly what they said about McCarney. Heck, come to think of it - they did go to a bowl game a couple times under McCarney, didn't they? Nobody came a-knockin for Dan.... oops......

The ISU program just doesn't have the resources (or the appeal) to get many blue-chip players. maybe Chizik is looking at what comes back at TX next year, thinks it's going to be a rough one so he's getting while his name still has some appeal?

idunno

I have a feeling (and I may be crazy) that schools like ISU, osu, Sand Aggie et al are going to have a very difficult time in becoming a consistent top 25 program. Our nation is shifting to that of a more urban environment. I think programs in major metropolitan areas are going to have more success in the future in holding on the top players. SUC, tOSU, Saxet will all continue to thrive because of the appeal of their city. I say there are a lot of sleeping giant programs out there that are poised to rise up. Schools like UW, UCLA, ASU, Ga. Tech just to name a few all have much more potential than these cowtown schools. I just can't imagine trying to build something at ISU if I were Chizik.

JohnnyMack
11/27/2006, 01:01 PM
I don't know if Chizik was ever interested in Sparty, but I doubt Sparty was ever interested in Chizik.

Michigan State wanted Mark Dantonio, and they got him. The media doesn't slobber over him like they do Chizik, but he's a damn good coach. He has ties to MSU, and they had a pretty good pass defense when he coached the secondary. He was Ohio State's DC when they won the national title, and he's gotten Cincinnati to two bowls in three years. Not too shabby, considering how little support UC football receives.

He took on tough OOC opponents at UC and is known as a no-nonsense guy, which provides the MSU administration the 180 degree turn from Smith that they wanted. IMO, this is a very good pick-up for Michigan State.

Cincy had a good year. Look at their losses and look at the scores of those losses:

2006 Schedule
DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME
09/02 E Kentucky W 31-0
09/08 Pittsburgh L 33-15
09/16 at #1 Ohio St L 37-7
09/23 at #11 Va Tech L 29-13
09/30 Miami (OH) W 24-10
10/07 Akron W 20-14
10/14 at #7 Louisville L 23-17
10/22 S Florida W 23-6
10/28 Syracuse W 17-3
11/11 at #10 W Virginia L 42-24
11/18 #7 Rutgers W 30-11
11/25 at UConn W 26-23

Other than the loss to Pitt, they've had a pretty good year.

Rhino
11/27/2006, 02:01 PM
Color me surprised.

Partial Qualifier
11/27/2006, 02:18 PM
colpr3d.

badger
11/27/2006, 07:59 PM
soooo... greg davis to miami, or alabama? :D
after all, he was assistant coach of the year last season
any idiot takers?

please don't let them take davis away... please don't let them take davis away...

utex74
11/27/2006, 10:00 PM
If whornfans ever comes back up maybe we can get some reaction. They should be up by late Jan. to throw down some recruiting smack.

I'm here. I think it is a good move for Chizik. A program where he is successful if he goes 8-4 with a minor bowl and in a couple years he moves up. Hell, Maybe LSU will hire him after they figure out Les Miles is a phony.

Rumors have Kine and Shannon on the short list.