PDA

View Full Version : Vulnerable to the empty backfield?

PAW
11/27/2006, 10:16 AM
But Reid endorsed the new wrinkle.

"I was excited," Reid said. "Watching film they were kind of vulnerable to the empty package. We practiced it all week. We hit them a couple of times big in that picture. Whatever helps the team win."

"We didn't have any problem going up and down the field in the second half," Gundy said. "Zac gave us an advantage in personnel to control what they did on defense."

"It just depends," Fedora said. "It's about matchups and what we think we can get from the opposing defense. We had not gone empty (backfield) the entire season except five or six plays. In this game, we felt it would give us an advantage."

It surprised me when I read this that they saw something about the OU defense being vulnerable to the empty backfield set. Nebraska runs a ton of empty backfield sets with a lot of motion. It will be interesting to see how OU responds.

OSUAggie
11/27/2006, 10:36 AM
It surprised me when I read this that they saw something about the OU defense being vulnerable to the empty backfield set. Nebraska runs a ton of empty backfield sets with a lot of motion. It will be interesting to see how OU responds.

Nebraska isn't really that effective in its empty backfield sets. Zac Taylor is a below average to mediocre QB. You should be able to rattle him pretty easily. The key will be whether or not Nebraska will be able to run the ball with its 2-back sets, which they run about 60% of the time.

Paul Thompson will have to throw the ball more than 11 times against that D, b/c they are pretty solid with their front 7. It will also be a 60-40 to 70-30 crowd advantage for the Huskers. Should be an interesting game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/27/2006, 10:51 AM
why is it surprising with our depleted defensive backfield? you flood the field and hope you get a favorable matchup in the zone. you have to have a lot of continuity in order to avoid breakdowns.

TrophyCollector
11/27/2006, 10:55 AM
Nebraska isn't really that effective in its empty backfield sets. Zac Taylor is a below average to mediocre QB.

WTF???? I think you know less about football than XLK knows about not eating pie.

Zac Taylor is #9 in the country in passing efficiency.

62% completions
24 TDs / 4 Ints (that's 6:1)
2,789 yards

I guess he's no Mike Gundy, but he's pretty damn good.

Maybe when your team gets to the Big XII Championship game you can give us some good insight on the North Champion's QB. So call back in uh say...never.

Mjcpr
11/27/2006, 10:56 AM
Not to mention osu hadn't showed that look all season...I'm sure it isn't something we prepared for during the week.

MikeInNorman
11/27/2006, 10:59 AM
Heck, Aggy thought The Great Bobby Reid was a shoo-in for New York when he has good passing efficiency numbers. But those same numbers make Zac Taylor a below-average QB. Whatever.

Scott D
11/27/2006, 11:03 AM
Heck, Aggy thought The Great Bobby Reid was a shoo-in for New York when he has good passing efficiency numbers. But those same numbers make Zac Taylor a below-average QB. Whatever.

Taylor is from gooner land and can't run like Bobby can!

PAW
11/27/2006, 11:05 AM
I didn't think of our defensive backfield as being depleted this year. I thought this was an area that had been shored up and was playing great since the Texas game. But, Darien was out and he should be back Saturday.

OSUAggie
11/27/2006, 11:12 AM
WTF???? I think you know less about football than XLK knows about not eating pie.

Zac Taylor is #9 in the country in passing efficiency.

62% completions
24 TDs / 4 Ints (that's 6:1)
2,789 yards

I guess he's no Mike Gundy, but he's pretty damn good.

Maybe when your team gets to the Big XII Championship game you can give us some good insight on the North Champion's QB. So call back in uh say...never.

Well... we beat Nebraska. Taylor was awful after he got hit, which has happened in a few games. I guess I should've prefaced my below average to mediocre analysis with "If he's pressured." Have you seen Nebraska in person this year?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/27/2006, 11:23 AM
I didn't think of our defensive backfield as being depleted this year. I thought this was an area that had been shored up and was playing great since the Texas game. But, Darien was out and he should be back Saturday.

our starting free safety didn't play. we have 2 relatively new starters at corner. jason carter and nick harris were our backend. luckily we were in 3rds with lendy back on that last throw to woods.

TrophyCollector
11/27/2006, 11:39 AM
Well... we beat Nebraska. Taylor was awful after he got hit, which has happened in a few games. I guess I should've prefaced my below average to mediocre analysis with "If he's pressured." Have you seen Nebraska in person this year?

Yes I realize that the mighty pokes beat Nebraska - clearly it was the only quality win of the season for you guys.

Most QBs look like crap if they are pressured.

In Stoolwater, Taylor was 21/39 for 241 - 2TD and 0 ints.
He was sacked like 5 times. Doesn't that say a lot more about the Nebraska O-line than it does the Q?

And no I haven't seen NU in person this season, but I will on Saturday night at the CHAMPIONSHIP game.

So for the record, the two QBs playing - Zac Taylor and Paul Thompson are very good QBs who have led their teams to division championships.

Just because his team had a bad day at your polished turd stadium and you were able to get your ONLY WIN OF THE SEASON over a team better than 6-6 KU doesn't give you the right to go around calling Taylor "below average to mediocre ".

Good luck in the Maybe Bowl.