PDA

View Full Version : VY works his magic...

BIG_IKE
11/27/2006, 09:34 AM
I didnt even see or hear about this game till this morning. Titans down 21-0 with 12 minutes left in 4th Quarter....AND WIN after their own Fans left :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261126010

dolemitesooner
11/27/2006, 09:35 AM
I have said it too many times to count...this guy is the real deal and he will be a great nfl qb

Ruuuuuufus
11/27/2006, 09:44 AM
He had a giftwrapped personal foul on a failed 4th down in the first drive and Kiwanuka thought he heard a whistle and let him out of a sure sack on a failed 4th down in the third (?) drive.

colleyvillesooner
11/27/2006, 09:47 AM
He had a giftwrapped personal foul on a failed 4th down in the first drive and Kiwanuka thought he heard a whistle and let him out of a sure sack on a failed 4th down in the third (?) drive.

Yeah it was 21-14, 4th and 10 from their own 24, and was sacked and he just let go. He thought he heard a whistle. He complete's that tackle and there's none of this talk. He was great in the comeback, but in no way does this prove that he has "it".

TexasLidig8r
11/27/2006, 10:05 AM
Yeah it was 21-14, 4th and 10 from their own 24, and was sacked and he just let go. He thought he heard a whistle. He complete's that tackle and there's none of this talk. He was great in the comeback, but in no way does this prove that he has "it".

Maybe.. maybe not. But, he has engineered 4 wins for Tennessee this year... his stats, except for yesterday have not been great, but he has shown repeatedly that he is a winner.

Of course, after the defensive lineman let go, or Vince escaped, he pump faked, juked another and got the first down.

It was pretty funny to see Coughlin's face after the game.. that vacant, blank stare, the inability to explain... he got Vince-ized. :D

colleyvillesooner
11/27/2006, 10:58 AM
Maybe.. maybe not. But, he has engineered 4 wins for Tennessee this year... his stats, except for yesterday have not been great, but he has shown repeatedly that he is a winner.

Of course, after the defensive lineman let go, or Vince escaped, he pump faked, juked another and got the first down.

It was pretty funny to see Coughlin's face after the game.. that vacant, blank stare, the inability to explain... he got Vince-ized. :D

Holy crap, he...he...pump faked! Brilliant. ;)

He's second to last in Passer Rating, and his best win was yesterday. He beat the hapless Redskins, Houston (who had 5 turnovers) and a Mcnabb less Eagles.

kruss1971
11/27/2006, 11:08 AM
Not taking away anything from VY's talent. He is a great athlete and may or may not turn out to be a great pro QB. However, to say he "engineered" 4 wins for the Titans is like saying he was the catalyst to victory in each of these games. Quite simply, he was not...let's be realistic.

critical_phil
11/27/2006, 11:24 AM
However, to say he "engineered" 4 wins for the Titans is like saying he was the catalyst to victory in each of these games. Quite simply, he was not...let's be realistic.

eggsactly.

mark brunell underthrew a wide open santana moss by 15 yards in the closing minutes of the titans' win against the redskins. i he gets that ball anywhere near moss, tennessee doesn't win that game.

=/= "engineered".

caphorns
11/27/2006, 11:25 AM
So throwing for 2 TDs and running for another in the last 9 minutes of a game to complete a highly improbably comeback against a high quality opponent . . . sucks?

I understand the merit of being consistent and even conservative in your viewpoints (many of you are acknowledged VY skeptics), but to expect anyone to give your viewpoints merit, you have to recognize an amazing performance when it happens. The fact is that VY has always been a phenomenal playmaker and that ability has initially begun to translate to the NFL better than most people thought. He makes great players look like boys out there and adds a dimension to the game that defensive coordinators are going to have to account for. This was not a bad NY Giants team and he made some great plays and strong throws to score on them. But more than one move or pass here or there, his attitude is turning a loosing franchise into a winner and helping to turn an idiot like Pacman Jones into a superstar. Personally I think the QB position has the most to do with wins and losses by far. Just look at what Romo has done with Dallas.

My viewpoint is still that the Texans made a huge mistake not to take VY at No. 1. He's only going to get better as a passer, so his upside is huge. And we know he can put points on the board and steps up at the most critical moments. This is the difference between Young and someone like David Carr. Carr is a very efficient passer and is very athletic moving outside the pocket, but he simply can't find a way to put the ball in the end zone. He lacks the creativity and confidence of Vince. Most QBs are engineered in the conservative mold. I'm not sure you can engineer a guy like Vince. He's done this so often, you have to recognize there is something to it. Vince has "IT" in spades.

Tear Down This Wall
11/27/2006, 11:30 AM
This must be the joke thread of the day. Where's the guy who claimed Michael Vick had "turned the corner" a few weeks ago? What a joke.

So, now, with the injury-depleted, tailspinning Giants choking a game away, Vince has turned the corner? F'n Hi-larious!

It takes consistency to succeed in the NFL. Neither Vick nor Young have it because they can't throw the ball effectively game in and game out. Also, they can't run away from NFL defenders game in and game out.

Sure, they make the highlight reel every three or four weeks, but, really...these guys are simply marketing gimmicks for the league. Check Atlanta's playoff record with Vick. That's the real deal. Vince will be even worse...if the Titans even sniff the playoffs.

colleyvillesooner
11/27/2006, 11:32 AM
If the Giants DE doesn't let him go and makes the sack, game over. 21-14 Giants.

homerxsimpson
11/27/2006, 11:43 AM
It takes consistency to succeed in the NFL. Neither Vick nor Young have it because they can't throw the ball effectively game in and game out.

Leinart's been pretty damn consistent since he's been starting and he seems to throw the ball very effectively game in and out... and he's been losing... consistently.

It was a hell of a comeback. Doesn't mean he'll be elected to the Hall of Fame or anything but no sense in knocking it either. About his only decent receiver is the Tight End he had at Texas and that guy had two blown knees while he was still in college. It's not like he's working with a full cupboard.

Tear Down This Wall
11/27/2006, 11:55 AM
The only decent receiver is the tight end? You must be kidding? Not working with a full cupboard? Travis Henry with multiple 1,000+ yard rushing seasons...Drew Bennett with a 1,200+, 80 catch season in his resume...6-time pro bowl center Kevin Mawae in front of him? And the guru, Norm Chow, upstairs calling the shots?

Please. There's nothing wrong with "the cupboard."

Texas Golfer
11/27/2006, 12:10 PM
So throwing for 2 TDs and running for another in the last 9 minutes of a game to complete a highly improbably comeback against a high quality opponent . . . sucks?

I understand the merit of being consistent and even conservative in your viewpoints (many of you are acknowledged VY skeptics), but to expect anyone to give your viewpoints merit, you have to recognize an amazing performance when it happens. The fact is that VY has always been a phenomenal playmaker and that ability has initially begun to translate to the NFL better than most people thought. He makes great players look like boys out there and adds a dimension to the game that defensive coordinators are going to have to account for. This was not a bad NY Giants team and he made some great plays and strong throws to score on them. But more than one move or pass here or there, his attitude is turning a loosing franchise into a winner and helping to turn an idiot like Pacman Jones into a superstar. Personally I think the QB position has the most to do with wins and losses by far. Just look at what Romo has done with Dallas.

My viewpoint is still that the Texans made a huge mistake not to take VY at No. 1. He's only going to get better as a passer, so his upside is huge. And we know he can put points on the board and steps up at the most critical moments. This is the difference between Young and someone like David Carr. Carr is a very efficient passer and is very athletic moving outside the pocket, but he simply can't find a way to put the ball in the end zone. He lacks the creativity and confidence of Vince. Most QBs are engineered in the conservative mold. I'm not sure you can engineer a guy like Vince. He's done this so often, you have to recognize there is something to it. Vince has "IT" in spades.

Cappy, whereas I agree with you that the Texans made a huge mistake in not taking Vinnie, for you to think that he is more responsible for the Titan win than the Giant (dual meaning) collapse is you being more of a Longhorn fan than realist.

Twice the Giants had Vinnie stopped on 4th down only to let the drives continue by bonehead moves (hitting Vinnie in the head out of bounds and letting him go on a sured sack). The Giants could just run out the entire 4th quarter if they don't do these.

I don't mean to take away anything from Vinnie's athletism but yesterday's game was more of the Giants defensive collapse than Vinnie's talent.

homerxsimpson
11/27/2006, 12:27 PM
Please. There's nothing wrong with "the cupboard."

Well, you got me there.

I stand corrected... I guess that's why they were able to string together such stellar seasons of 5-11 and 4-12, with their last QB (who has league MVP and multiple Pro Bowls on his resume).:rolleyes:

Thanks for setting me strait.

KingDavid
11/27/2006, 12:50 PM
The ONLY reason that VY was able to rally the Titans was this:

Brandon Jones was on the other end of that winning touchdown grab!

Without Jones, he's nothing, I say. Nothing.;)

TexasLidig8r
11/27/2006, 01:02 PM
It takes consistency to succeed in the NFL. Neither Vick nor Young have it because they can't throw the ball effectively game in and game out. Also, they can't run away from NFL defenders game in and game out.

Counselor.. did a judge pee in your Wheaties this morning? You have spewed forth more bile today than what is normally seen from you.

How do you know Young cannot throw consistently game in and game out? He has started what.... 7 games now and you're ready to throw him under the bus?

Look at his development every year since coming to Texas. People, most notably on this innerweb community, proclaimed he will never be a big time college quarterback... then, he would never be able to win a big game.. then, he would never beat OU.. then, he would never win a national championship.. then disregard the fact that his passer rating last year was... No. 1 going into the Rose Bowl and he threw for over 3000 yards last year.

Any reason to believe he isn't going to continue to develop? yes, yes.. the speed of the NFL game is much faster than college... yes, yes, defenses are more complex in the NFL than in college... yes, yes, he has an unorthodox throwing style.... All of those things were said at each and every level he ascended to.

Is he going to be an All Pro once let alone consistently? Who knows! But, your "I Hate Vince and UT" juice you drank for breakfast this morning may be coloring your view a tad.

Tear Down This Wall
11/27/2006, 01:27 PM
Counselor.. did a judge pee in your Wheaties this morning? You have spewed forth more bile today than what is normally seen from you.

How do you know Young cannot throw consistently game in and game out? He has started what.... 7 games now and you're ready to throw him under the bus?

Look at his development every year since coming to Texas. People, most notably on this innerweb community, proclaimed he will never be a big time college quarterback... then, he would never be able to win a big game.. then, he would never beat OU.. then, he would never win a national championship.. then disregard the fact that his passer rating last year was... No. 1 going into the Rose Bowl and he threw for over 3000 yards last year.

Any reason to believe he isn't going to continue to develop? yes, yes.. the speed of the NFL game is much faster than college... yes, yes, defenses are more complex in the NFL than in college... yes, yes, he has an unorthodox throwing style.... All of those things were said at each and every level he ascended to.

Is he going to be an All Pro once let alone consistently? Who knows! But, your "I Hate Vince and UT" juice you drank for breakfast this morning may be coloring your view a tad.

Lid,
I respect you too much to rip you. I was among those here who said Huepel and White wouldn't make it. I say Young won't make it. NFL QBs are a world apart from college QBs.

You've got guys from the MAC and lower conferences, and even D-IAA guys leading teams to Super Bowls while much-heralded guys never live up to their "hype." You'd think NFL GMs would figure it out, but they don't.

Young is an athlete, he's not a QB. Same with Michael Vick. Many guys can succeed in college on athletic ability alone. Some QBs were college "system" guys - the Tech QBs, the Hawaii QBs, Heupel, White, etc. Fine. But, it rarely translates into NFL success.

But, the NFL is full of freaks. Freaks of size and speed on both sides of the ball. The fastest of the fast, the biggest of the big. To beat them, you must have a QB who can memorize and execute a play book forward and backward and run it in his sleep. Vick and Young will never be able to do that.

Michael Vick hasn't done it consistently and he's had several season to prove it. Young is the same...only he's a bigger target for the freaks to hit. You can't just run around out there and have a decent game against a crappy team every four or five weeks.

Lid, you're simply being a homer. Stop it. You're smarter than that. Live in the now, man!

TexasLidig8r
11/27/2006, 02:06 PM
Lid, you're simply being a homer. Stop it. You're smarter than that. Live in the now, man!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/dvanwink/doh-homer-simpson-air-freshener.jpg

caphorns
11/27/2006, 02:21 PM
On second thought, I think the Titans won the game only because of the wind. Thanks for clearing all of this up. Sportscenter should devote more time to weather forecasting than greatness.

boomrsoonr
11/27/2006, 02:28 PM
When did Hornfans.com go with a red and white website scheme? Oh wait, this IS Soonerfans.

I'm just clueless why there is so much love for an ex-horn.

On a brighter note, we did shut him out a couple of years ago.

SoonerTitan
11/28/2006, 12:41 AM
All I can say is Titans will be feared once again real soon.....

KingDavid
11/28/2006, 12:47 AM
Lid,
I respect you too much to rip you. I was among those here who said Huepel and White wouldn't make it. I say Young won't make it. NFL QBs are a world apart from college QBs.

You've got guys from the MAC and lower conferences, and even D-IAA guys leading teams to Super Bowls while much-heralded guys never live up to their "hype." You'd think NFL GMs would figure it out, but they don't.

Young is an athlete, he's not a QB. Same with Michael Vick. Many guys can succeed in college on athletic ability alone. Some QBs were college "system" guys - the Tech QBs, the Hawaii QBs, Heupel, White, etc. Fine. But, it rarely translates into NFL success.

But, the NFL is full of freaks. Freaks of size and speed on both sides of the ball. The fastest of the fast, the biggest of the big. To beat them, you must have a QB who can memorize and execute a play book forward and backward and run it in his sleep. Vick and Young will never be able to do that.

Michael Vick hasn't done it consistently and he's had several season to prove it. Young is the same...only he's a bigger target for the freaks to hit. You can't just run around out there and have a decent game against a crappy team every four or five weeks.

I would agree with you, Tear . . .only I don't want to have to eat my words in about 3 years.

I have to agree with Lid that VY has both the talent and the will to succeed at the next level. I think he'll be a consistent pro bowler and probably have a career like Randall Cunningham, if not better.

Vick is one coach away from a H.O.F. career.