PDA

View Full Version : Alabama fires Mike Shula

CShine
11/27/2006, 07:41 AM
Mike Shula has been dismissed as the University of Alabama’s head football coach, multiple sources close to the Crimson Tide football program told The Tuscaloosa News on Sunday night. Shula notified his assistant coaches late Sunday night after UA director of athletics Mal Moore gave him the news, said the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. Neither Moore nor Shula were available for comment on Sunday night. UA is expected to make an official announcement today.

The Crimson Tide staff and players had a team meeting at the Paul W. Bryant Hall Academic Center on Sunday night, but Shula and the assistant coaches were not aware of their status at that time. The meeting concluded at approximately 9:15 p.m. However, two sources confirmed to The News that Shula and Moore met after that time. Moore and UA President Dr. Robert Witt met on Sunday afternoon, apparently to finalize their decision on Shula’s future.

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20061127/NEWS/61127004/1011

Newbomb Turk
11/27/2006, 07:44 AM
Selma is gonna be happy.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82130

Sooner in Tampa
11/27/2006, 07:50 AM
Bama has an incredible recruiting class coming in this year. I wonder how this will affect it.
They have a stud QB coming in...Mavre from Tampa (Plant, 13-0).

Okla-homey
11/27/2006, 07:57 AM
If they have a brain, they should talk to Steve Kragthorpe. I have reason to believe he would accept an offer from the Tide.

It prolly won't happen though. It would require reasoning and cogent thought processes to manifest themselves in the form of an Alabama offer to Steve.;)

sooneron
11/27/2006, 08:03 AM
Anyone think that Butch jumped the gun with NC?

wishbonesooner
11/27/2006, 08:04 AM
On their wish list of coaches, guess who is at the top of their list?

sooneron
11/27/2006, 08:24 AM
who?

Jason White's Third Knee
11/27/2006, 08:30 AM
Naw, you gotta guess.

wishbonesooner
11/27/2006, 08:30 AM
A bunch of posts about Stoops, our Stoops.

sooneron
11/27/2006, 08:31 AM
:rolleyes:

sooneron
11/27/2006, 08:34 AM
That fanbase can really be retarded. Look at the WWBD posts! barf

http://forums.tidesports.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631098265/m/9811073485/r/3811083485#3811083485

Sooner in Tampa
11/27/2006, 08:37 AM
They swear it is Spurrier. Wouldn't that be a twist?

After reading a little more...some asshat thought he would be funny and post it with his "sources". It seems that Paul Johnson (Navy) is on a very short list and that Paul Bear Bryant Jr. is indeed headed to Austin.

Joe
11/27/2006, 08:41 AM
I'm betting it's a certain texas DC. (Not who they want, but who they will actually get).

And if it's Steve Spurrier: What kind of a whore-coach is he? He's no better than Franchione if he does leave SC.

poke4christ
11/27/2006, 08:50 AM
This is morronic. It is more stupid that Nebraska firing solitch after a 10 win season. Bama was a top ranked team last year.

Zach

ruf/nekdad
11/27/2006, 08:57 AM
Coker's looking for a job

BIG_IKE
11/27/2006, 08:57 AM
Michigan State
Iowa State
Miami
Alabama

Hmm...lots of available slots this year.
I wonder if anyone goes after the old school guys that arent coaching...
What if someone went and got Switzer to come back?
And Barry brought Ditka,Ryan,Jimmy Johnson, and Holz with him? That would be interesting as hell. I bet they could recruit whoever they wanted.

Sooner in Tampa
11/27/2006, 09:16 AM
Michigan State
Iowa State
Miami
Alabama

Don't forget NCSU...they fired Amato.

:pop:

TheUnnamedSooner
11/27/2006, 09:16 AM
Maybe they'll realize strippers aren't so bad and try and bring back price.

ruf/nekdad
11/27/2006, 09:22 AM
Maybe they'll realize strippers aren't so bad and try and bring back price.

:D

BIG_IKE
11/27/2006, 09:45 AM
This Just in...

Michigan State steals Cincinatti's Coach...

Arizona State fires it's coach.

TexasLidig8r
11/27/2006, 10:07 AM
Don't forget NCSU...they fired Amato.

:pop:

Isn't Norm Chow a NC State grad??

hurricane'bone
11/27/2006, 10:09 AM
Isn't Norm Chow a NC State grad??

Utah.

He did coach at NC State in 2000 before leaving for USC. Bill Cowher is a in NC State grad.

Sooner in Tampa
11/27/2006, 10:15 AM
Quite a few jobs out there...this is bound to shake up some coaching staffs. They better stay the hell away from OUrs.

poke4christ
11/27/2006, 10:22 AM
ASU fired it's coach hugh? Funny, that's the guy who went back on accepting OSU's offer. Then we ended up hiring miles. Now miles is the Head Coach for LSU and this guy is unemployeed. Funny how things work out sometimes.

Zach

I_SMELL_FEAR
11/27/2006, 10:24 AM
This is my biggest complaint about college football, the schools raiding other schools staffs before or during their championsip/bowl games. I wish the NCAA would make a rule saying you cant contact another schools coach until they have played their last game of the season.

If you want to fire your coach because he went from 10-2 to 6-6 in one year, fine and if you want to hire a coach not currently in the NCAA fine...but if you want to raid a staff you have to wait, and pay the price by getting a late jump on recruiting and putting a staff together.

birddog
11/27/2006, 10:27 AM
ASU fired it's coach hugh? Funny, that's the guy who went back on accepting OSU's offer. Then we ended up hiring miles. Now miles is the Head Coach for LSU and this guy is unemployeed. Funny how things work out sometimes.

Zach

i always thought you all got lucky that he weaseled out of the osu job.

he's the same guy who caused a stir with his qb's over the summer that sent sam keller to the shuckers.

birddog
11/27/2006, 10:28 AM
This is my biggest complaint about college football, the schools raiding other schools staffs before or during their championsip/bowl games. I wish the NCAA would make a rule saying you cant contact another schools coach until they have played their last game of the season.

If you want to fire your coach because he went from 10-2 to 6-6 in one year, fine and if you want to hire a coach not currently in the NCAA fine...but if you want to raid a staff you have to wait, and pay the price by getting a late jump on recruiting and putting a staff together.

that's one of the most sane ideas i've ever read on this board.

Sooner in Tampa
11/27/2006, 10:30 AM
that's one of the most sane ideas i've ever read on this board.and since it is a sane idea...there is ZERO chance the NCAA will ever adopt it. :P

bluedogok
11/27/2006, 10:36 AM
Would Bama be interested in Mike Stoops?

Sooner in Tampa
11/27/2006, 10:38 AM
Would Bama be interested in Mike Stoops?They should be...just look at his body of work with that **** poor excuse of a football team. Imagine what he could do at Bama.

MamaMia
11/27/2006, 10:40 AM
Mike Stoops said that if he had it to do over again, he would have waited until after the Sugar Bowl to announce he was leaving OU for Arizona.

Don't they have some rule against coaches doing that sort of thing in pro football?

soonerjoker
11/27/2006, 10:41 AM
there used to be a guy on another board, a sooner fan that lived (he said)
in austin. he said after shula's 4th or 5th game, that shula wasn't a good fit @
bama. i thot he was a moron, or @ least pre-mature.

turns out, he was right, my bad !!!!

Scott D
11/27/2006, 10:57 AM
Apparently Bama thought getting rid of Shula was worth the $4 Million they are going to have to pay him to do it. I think they should have given him one more year personally.

Sooner in Tampa
11/27/2006, 11:05 AM
Apparently Bama thought getting rid of Shula was worth the $4 Million they are going to have to pay him to do it. I think they should have given him one more year personally.That is probably the most suprising thing...he went 10-2 last year and then 6-6 this year. He has a great recruiting class lined up to go along with some pretty decent talent coming back. The T.V. announcers made a comment about how good Bama was going to be next year. :confused: Something just aint right.

critical_phil
11/27/2006, 11:10 AM
dear alabamuh,

please add mike leach to your short list.

thanx.

boomersooner28
11/27/2006, 11:12 AM
This isn't looking good for Tulsa. I don't think there is anyway they can hide Kraggy in a closet till all these openings are filled.

royalfan5
11/27/2006, 11:25 AM
Shula sucked as a Coach. He sucked in Tampa Bay as OC, and his offenses sucked in Tuscaloosa. Joe Kines is the only reason they had the success they did last year. Sometime a coaching change is about more than wins and loses, sustaniability and direction of the program have a lot more to do with it.

bluedogok
11/27/2006, 11:41 AM
Don't they have some rule against coaches doing that sort of thing in pro football?Yes, they have an anti-tampering rule that means you cannot "officially" contact an assistant until after their season is over.

Of course, that did not prevent ND from contacting Weiss before the Patriots were done it only applies to NFL teams. If they want a similar rule in college they would need to move the recruiting signing date back to allow for coach movement and recruiting after the season is over.

SelmaBamaFan
11/27/2006, 12:34 PM
Reports are that the higher ups demanded changed be made on the coaching staff. I am guessing tanking the OL Coach and the Strength & Conditioning Coach.

Shula, as always, said no... so this time he got fired.

SelmaBamaFan
11/27/2006, 12:35 PM
... and YAY I GET TO WATCH BAMA FOOTBALL AGAIN!!!!

william_brasky
11/27/2006, 12:44 PM
This isn't looking good for Tulsa. I don't think there is anyway they can hide Kraggy in a closet till all these openings are filled.

I agree.

SelmaBamaFan
11/27/2006, 12:49 PM
I heard from my uncle's brother's son that Bama is offering Bob Stoops a 10 year 2 BILLION dollar contract, with a BILLION dollar payout.

heh

Partial Qualifier
11/27/2006, 12:52 PM
Mike Stoops said that if he had it to do over again, he would have waited until after the Sugar Bowl to announce he was leaving OU for Arizona.

I thought Bama wouldd take Mike, back when Fran left. I was hoping Mike would get a big-name gig... i was a little disappointed when it was Arizona he left us for.

So Arizona State let Koetter go after they went 7-5 and beat Arizona to end the season???

mrowl
11/27/2006, 12:56 PM
Shula should have gotten one more year.

I assume the higer ups have a guy picked out if they pulled the trigger.

william_brasky
11/27/2006, 12:59 PM

I assume the higer ups have a guy picked out if they pulled the trigger.

I think you're right, and I think they'll pull that trigger quick.

KingDavid
11/27/2006, 01:00 PM
Lots of openings at decent schools this year. I'd have to say that Butch Davis definitely pulled the trigger too early. Will be very interesting to see how this shakes out.

I don't think Mike Stoops will leave before he makes that program a little more competitive. He's got a lot to look forward to in the next few years, IMO. I'll be his recruiting class looks really great this year and in 08.

mrowl
11/27/2006, 01:04 PM
I think you're right, and I think they'll pull that trigger quick.

if they want to keep some of that recruiting class they need to announce a hire by the end of the week.

Sooner_Havok
11/27/2006, 01:05 PM
There is still one more Stoops making a name for himself. I wouldn't be to surprised if Mark Stoops gets a head coaching job by the time all this is done.

Rogue
11/27/2006, 01:06 PM
My prediction: Rich Rodriguez.
Seriously. Too late for Croom. After they didn't hire him last time, he sorta alienated the Tuscaloosa crowd by sayin' nasty things about 'em.

TexasLidig8r
11/27/2006, 01:08 PM
I'm sure that five (5) straight losses to Shoeless State aggy didn't help the Crimson Tide's fortunes at all.

mrowl
11/27/2006, 01:11 PM
My prediction: Rich Rodriguez.

thats what I was thinking.

oumartin
11/27/2006, 01:45 PM
What job will Petrino take? I think he is a better coach than Rodriiquez.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/27/2006, 01:58 PM
i don't watch a lot of alabama, but aren't they built on ball control and defense?

Scott D
11/27/2006, 02:01 PM
I thought Bama wouldd take Mike, back when Fran left. I was hoping Mike would get a big-name gig... i was a little disappointed when it was Arizona he left us for.

So Arizona State let Koetter go after they went 7-5 and beat Arizona to end the season???

expectations were for Arizona State to compete for the Pac-10 title. The little controversy at the start of the year with Carpenter/Keller didn't help his lot any either.

Rogue
11/27/2006, 06:32 PM
Spurrier's name gettin' bandied about now. I'm standing by my prediction: Rodriguez.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2006, 06:38 PM
expectations were for Arizona State to compete for the Pac-10 title. The little controversy at the start of the year with Carpenter/Keller didn't help his lot any either.

yeah its nice you let your players make your depth chart decisions...but none of them sign your paycheck....

goingoneight
11/27/2006, 09:48 PM
I heard from my uncle's brother's son that Boone Pickens is offering Bob Stoops a 10 year 2 BILLION dollar contract, with a BILLION dollar payout.

heh

Fixed.

Sooner in Tampa
11/27/2006, 09:52 PM

I assume the higer ups have a guy picked out if they pulled the trigger.Shula SHOULD have gotten one more year. The verbals are already changing their tune and opening the door.

TAMPA – Alabama may not have just ridded itself of football coach Mike Shula, however, the Tide may have also ridded themselves of Plant senior quarterback Robert Marve and Middleton senior defensive back Sherod Murdock.
Shula was recently fired as Alabama’s head coach, leaving Murdock and Marve in limbo. Both verbally committed to Alabama over the summer, but neither is positive they will ever wear a Tide uniform now.
“I was shocked when I found out this morning. I got on the Alabama website and saw he was fired and couldn’t believe it. Coach Shula was supposed to come to my house this Friday and have dinner with my family,” Murdock said. “Him being a gone does play a big part in my decision because he was the main reason I was going there.”
Murdock said he was unsure what his next move would be, but said he might finally listen to the University of South Carolina, which has steadily been recruiting him.
“I’m not sure what I’m going to do. Everything is so sudden for me. I got to weight everything out and see what’s out there. I also have to talk with Marve and see what he wants to do because we’re really close and we looking forward to playing together,” Murdock said.
Marve’s team is focused on hosting Miami Booker T. Washington in the Class 4A region semifinals this Friday, but Panthers coach Robert Weiner said Shula’s departure will affect his quarterback’s college decision.
“Not only did he have a good relationship with Coach Shula, but he learned they were good people. There have been people in the college recruiting game that haven’t been honest, and there is always double-dealing going on, but everything with Alabama was up front, genuine, and honest,” Weiner said. “The only thing he’s thinking about right now is beating Booker T. Washington. We will listen to other possibilities and see who else is out there, but one thing he now has is a chance to enjoy being recruiting and taking trips, so that could be a good thing.
“Robert’s stock is in a much different place now than he was over the summer, and there is no double-dealing on his part. He just won’t have any interest in hearing anything until Dec. 10 [day after the Class 4A state championship game].

AllAboutThe'O'
11/28/2006, 01:51 AM
You heard it here first: Jim Grobe, the Wake Forest coach who has the Demon Deacons playing for the ACC championship this weekend.

TexasLidig8r
11/28/2006, 02:53 PM
Greg Davis.

BudSooner
11/28/2006, 06:03 PM
The question is, does Mark Stoops want to make the leap to HC now or does he wait for a better offer?

I doubt Davis leaves Texas, Monte Kiffin would in my mind make a great college coach but i'm not sure if he would leave Tampa Bay since he has a decent gig as long as Chucky wants him.

Mike Sherman is probably looking for a job, and the college landscape probably better suits him than the NFL, Jim Fassell wants a new gig but...would he take a college job?

Lots of ex-NFL coaches out there, if'n they want to look somewhere else than the college ranks.

Just my two cents.

royalfan5
11/28/2006, 06:19 PM
The question is, does Mark Stoops want to make the leap to HC now or does he wait for a better offer?

I doubt Davis leaves Texas, Monte Kiffin would in my mind make a great college coach but i'm not sure if he would leave Tampa Bay since he has a decent gig as long as Chucky wants him.

Mike Sherman is probably looking for a job, and the college landscape probably better suits him than the NFL, Jim Fassell wants a new gig but...would he take a college job?

Lots of ex-NFL coaches out there, if'n they want to look somewhere else than the college ranks.

Just my two cents.
Monte's getting up there in years, and he didn't set the world afire at NC State. I think he stayed in the NFL because he likes it a little more than college.

bluedogok
11/28/2006, 09:47 PM
Isn't Kiffen's son an assistant at USC? I think he will be a pretty hot commodity soon.

I don't think Monte Kiffen ever wanted to be a head coach, he always seemed to be happy as a coordinator.

Okla-homey
11/28/2006, 09:55 PM
Wow. Fired by Post-it note. :eek: You would have thought the guy would have at least driven over to see Shula in person.

TUSCALOOSA | Once he saw the note, Mike Shula knew that his coaching career at the University of Alabama was over.

It was handed to him Sunday night by director of football operations Randy Ross, moments after Shula met with Crimson Tide players to make sure they all had made it safely back to the Capstone following Thanksgiving break.

It said only three words: “Call Mal Moore.”

From that point on, the only remaining uncertainties were the final details of his departure.

Blues1
11/28/2006, 09:59 PM
Right Now I can't think of any Coach that's out there that would make the move to Bama that will really turn on bama fans....

Who's going to get this Job...??

Okla-homey
11/28/2006, 10:02 PM
Right Now I can't think of any Coach that's out there that would make the move to Bama that will really turn on bama fans....

Who's going to get this Job...??

All I know is it would be really cool if whoever they hired insisted they take down a few of those "twelve national championship banners" off their dump of a stadium.

bluedogok
11/28/2006, 10:03 PM
I still think Bear Bryant is the only one that could get them fired up....or like the Denis Leary joke about John Wayne being frozen, I wonder if Bama did something like that?

usmc-sooner
11/28/2006, 10:05 PM
All I know is it would be really cool if whoever they hired insisted they take down a few of those "twelve national championship banners" off their dump of a stadium.

after this year's 6-6 team I believe they have 13

KStatePike
11/28/2006, 10:42 PM

oh good Lord please tell me you're kidding

FourKings
11/28/2006, 11:45 PM
Greg Davis.

Haahahaha, I get it.....Greg Davis

Is there a more disrespected/criticised OC in our conference? Or college football?

That was some good wishfull thinking man lol.....

GORILLA BALL
11/29/2006, 12:12 AM
i can't believe that saban, spurrier or even joe pa hasn't accepted this job - i guess the big tuna has shown interest.

Scott D
11/29/2006, 12:16 AM
saban and spurrier have both already said they aren't interested.

I still think pellini or lane kiffin could be dark horses.

Okla-homey
11/29/2006, 07:54 AM
The really sad part about all this is the fact that Bammer is handling this whole thing very poorly. Again. Think about it.

Well, we had a guy who won ten games for us last year (including the bowl game,) but we got beat by Mississippi State and Auburn this year so he's gotta go! Therefore, let's fire our guy, and let's not be concerned about the fact we don't have anyone else willing to come in here and replace him.

Note to Bammer: Bad idea to shoot your horse unless you have another one in the pasture. Yes, you have a great tradition, but going all the way back to Gene Stallings, you have a very bad reputation in the "panic, kick coaches to the curb, then scramble around looking for any guy who's willing to come in and coach with his head on your chopping block" department. That friends, is haunting you now.

Sooner in Tampa
11/29/2006, 08:07 AM
saban and spurrier have both already said they aren't interested.

I still think pellini or lane kiffin could be dark horses.Since I respect Bama...I hope they don't hire that @$$hole pellini.

ashley
11/29/2006, 10:34 AM
I still think the are after Spurrier.

Sooner in Tampa
11/29/2006, 10:44 AM
I still think the are after Spurrier.Then they are wasting their time.

LSUdeek
11/29/2006, 01:53 PM
Shula = 0-4 against Auburn, 0-4 against LSU.

That'll get any Alabama coach fired.

IHateUT
11/29/2006, 03:18 PM
Shula = 0-4 against Auburn, 0-4 against LSU.

That'll get any Alabama coach fired.

That's what a lot of people don't get. Not to mention 2-19 vs. LSU/Boogs/Ark/UT. It makes even worse when in several of those games, there was ample opportunity to win/put the game away and poor decisions were made by Shula. And, for goodness sake, you can't lose to Missy State in Tuscaloosa. That is a death nail.

You also have to understand that win/loss was not the only reason he got canned.

LSUdeek
11/29/2006, 03:26 PM
That's what a lot of people don't get. Not to mention 2-19 vs. LSU/Boogs/Ark/UT. It makes even worse when in several of those games, there was ample opportunity to win/put the game away and poor decisions were made by Shula. And, for goodness sake, you can't lose to Missy State in Tuscaloosa. That is a death nail.

You also have to understand that win/loss was not the only reason he got canned.

This guy by the name of Terry on our forums has explained in detail to us (admin of tidefans.com)

swardboy
11/29/2006, 04:35 PM
i can't believe that saban, spurrier or even joe pa hasn't accepted this job - i guess the big tuna has shown interest.

Actually, Parcells did talk to Bama after the Price debacle....which went nowhere obviously.