PDA

View Full Version : Dallas peeps! Info request.

GottaHavePride
11/26/2006, 11:35 PM
OK, so I figured I'd ask you people, 'cause I don't know. The Cute Asian Friend's mother is coming to see her over Christmas break. she was thinking of taking her mom down to Dallas for a few days and is looking for suggestions of stuff to do down there. Any suggestions are good here - shopping, concerts, sightseeing sort of stuff, whatever - although she says she's not big into musuems.

Any thoughts? Heck, if you guys can think of anything cool to do that's only a few hours drive from Norman she'd probably appreciate that, too.

yermom
11/26/2006, 11:38 PM
the Galleria

a Cowboys game?

is CAF's mom actually coming from Asia? has she been in the area much?

out-of-towners seem to like Cattlemen's

yermom
11/26/2006, 11:39 PM
oh, and is she Chinese or Japanese?

GottaHavePride
11/26/2006, 11:41 PM
OK, to clarify - time frame is Dec. 18 or so to Jan. 5 or so. Sort of Christmas through New Year's.

Yes, the mom is coming from Taiwan. She's fairly well-traveled, but has never been to Texas.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/26/2006, 11:47 PM
http://www.dallasasian.com/

One of my friends said to go there and it should help you out, especially if you want to show her a little local Asian culture.

colleyvillesooner
11/27/2006, 12:34 AM
Galleria or north Park Mall for shopping.

Maybe the Kennedy Assassination area for touristy stuff?

Widescreen
11/27/2006, 12:54 AM
For an example of American culture, go to Medieval Times. ;)

I'd agree with the Galleria for shopping. Fogo de Chao for eating.

TexasLidig8r
11/27/2006, 10:28 AM
Dinner at Cafe Pacific in Highland Park Village.. followed by a horse drawn carriage ride to see all the Christmas lights in Highland Park. There are some neat boutique shops in HP Village as well.

The Shops at Legacy Park also has neat boutique shops and some great restaurants from Bobs Steak and Chophouse to Naan's and Samuii Thai. Arthouse and international films are shown at the Angelika Film Center.

Although she may not be into museums, the Simon Perez exhibit at the Meadows Museum on the SMU campus is fabulous.

Any concert at the Meyerson would be well worth the time.

For a more "western" flavor, the Stockyards in Fort Worth is a must see and any event at Bass Hall would be good.

BeetDigger
11/27/2006, 10:42 AM
The shops at Legacy is a really nice place. And now that I know that Lid knows about it, I will work on getting him banned from there. No Dallas proper peeps allowed, only burb types can go.

Seems like Daley Plaza is a must for her. I would assume that she's heard about Kennedy. And she needs to get some cowboy boots. Being a tourist is all about buying things that you have to lug home and that you will never wear again.

GottaHavePride
11/27/2006, 01:13 PM
Heh. Good suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

mrowl
11/27/2006, 01:17 PM
Northpark over the galleria. Its really cool after the expansion.

Jimminy Crimson
11/27/2006, 01:25 PM
Since she's a woman, she might like to buy needless amounts of junk at Sam Moon, like so many women I know...

JohnnyMack
11/27/2006, 01:25 PM
Go to 1tc's place and watch him pee on stuff.

SCOUT
11/27/2006, 01:51 PM
Billy Bob's and Southfork seem to be pretty big tourist attractions.

swardboy
11/27/2006, 02:08 PM
Sounds like not muched has changed since I left there in '87....

GrapevineSooner
11/27/2006, 02:23 PM
Take her to South Irving.

Or Central Arlington.

BeetDigger
11/27/2006, 02:33 PM
I hear Howzit is living on a lake. If he was a bud he'd offer to host an afternoon tea.

TexasLidig8r
11/27/2006, 03:14 PM
The New Fine Arts has an extensive collection of DVDs and fine collectibles which specialize in the glorification and paying homage to the human form in all of its many facets.

I recommend the one on Northwest Highway.

;) :D

Beef
11/27/2006, 03:17 PM
I'm on the list of things not to do if you're a hawt Asian chick in the DFW area.:( :O

Howzit
11/27/2006, 03:19 PM
Six Flags.

Widescreen
11/27/2006, 03:26 PM
Six Flags.
Pfft. Waste of money.

CELEBRATION STATION!!!!!

Howzit
11/27/2006, 03:37 PM
Chuck E. Cheese

yermom
11/27/2006, 04:38 PM
Dallas?

have you thought about Branson?

Widescreen
11/27/2006, 04:43 PM
Chuck E. Cheese
I thought the lady wasn't into high culture.

BeetDigger
11/27/2006, 05:10 PM
I thought the lady wasn't into high culture.

She's not. She avoids yogurt at all costs.

GottaHavePride
11/27/2006, 06:14 PM
OK, further clarification: I'm not going with her - according to her we're "just friends" and she's dating some dude from Tulsa.

Ya bastages. ;)

yermom
11/27/2006, 06:44 PM
OK, further clarification: I'm not going with her - according to her we're "just friends" and she's dating some dude from Canada. You wouldn't know him.

Ya bastages. ;)

suuuure.

GottaHavePride
12/12/2006, 10:56 PM
Bump! Any more ideas?

BajaOklahoma
12/12/2006, 11:01 PM
The Ice Sculptures at the Gaylord place.

Mongo
12/12/2006, 11:01 PM
OK, so I figured I'd ask you people, 'cause I don't know. The Cute Asian Friend's mother is coming to see her over Christmas break. she was thinking of taking her mom down to Dallas for a few days and is looking for suggestions of stuff to do down there. Any suggestions are good here - shopping, concerts, sightseeing sort of stuff, whatever - although she says she's not big into musuems.

Any thoughts? Heck, if you guys can think of anything cool to do that's only a few hours drive from Norman she'd probably appreciate that, too.

I know a couple of Asian massage parlors around Mockingbird that offer a wide range of entertainment.

GottaHavePride
12/12/2006, 11:02 PM
In response to Baja: hmmmmm

In response to Mongo: Dude, she's already FROM over there. What do I... Oh, you meant for her. Nevermind.

CRAPHELL! This 60-second flood control crap succs!

proud gonzo
12/12/2006, 11:43 PM
OK, further clarification: I'm not going with her - according to her we're "just friends" and she's dating some dude from Tulsa.

Ya bastages. ;)
from New York, supposably.

GottaHavePride
12/13/2006, 12:06 AM
Well, yeah. She wasn't real clear about that at first. Kind of goes along with the whole "trying like hell not to have to mention him to anyone" routine.

Mongo
12/13/2006, 12:09 AM
Well, yeah. She wasn't real clear about that at first. Kind of goes along with the whole "trying like hell not to have to mention him to anyone" routine.

If the relationship is in question with no hope, send them to "Dick's Last Resort" without any future warnings:D .

I could have been a pro there you rotten sumbeetches

BeetDigger
12/13/2006, 12:28 AM
Sheesh, we've offered lots of shopping and a bunch of pretty lights to look at. What more does a woman want? Well, besides THAT <-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

:D.

GottaHavePride
12/13/2006, 12:33 AM
Heh. I've sent her the suggestions so far. I just thought I'd check and see if anyone had any new ideas. she liked the ideas. And she says you all are funny.

And NO I didn't just point her to this thread - I copied and pasted it all and e-mailed it to her. I'm not about to tell her she's a topic of discussion on teh interwebs. ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/13/2006, 12:37 AM
Well we need more info. Is her Mom like old time Asian where she is rigid and is all customs and **** or is she OH MY WOWXERS!!! IT'S TURTLE THAT RED!!!!!! or in between.

GottaHavePride
12/13/2006, 12:39 AM
How teh hell would I know? I've never met her mom. which is too bad - parents LIKE me.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/13/2006, 12:41 AM
Haha...it's called talking...try it with the girl ;) Be like..."So what are mother's interest...what does she like" ;)

GottaHavePride
12/13/2006, 12:44 AM
Heh. And her response would be "why do you want to know?"

SicEmBaylor
12/13/2006, 12:45 AM
Invite her on a romantic weekend trip. Have champagne and tickets to a fun event ready.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/13/2006, 12:46 AM
Then you say, How am I supposed to help plan an extravagant visit without knowing a little bit about her ;) If she still doesn't tell, start sort of whimpering and being like "You don't respect me at all" And maybe you will get pity secks ;)

GottaHavePride
12/13/2006, 12:48 AM
Invite her on a romantic weekend trip. Have champagne and tickets to a fun event ready.

Heh.

proud gonzo
12/13/2006, 12:51 AM
all I know is her mom didn't think her exboyfriend was good enough for her. But that doesn't tell us much because he's not good enough for humanity. He's not even good enough for cockroach feces.

...do cockroaches have feces?

Scott D
12/13/2006, 01:52 AM
everything has feces.

besides, GHP is just going to have to help her find an Asian Design Major to pass off as a new boyfriend/fiancee when in reality it's him that should be getting the play.

go me using subplots from two movies in one post :)

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/13/2006, 09:53 AM
If you like Asian girls come down to Riverwind....they are gorgeous. There is one and her smiles just lights up a room..

GottaHavePride
12/13/2006, 11:09 AM
all I know is her mom didn't think her exboyfriend was good enough for her. But that doesn't tell us much because he's not good enough for humanity. He's not even good enough for cockroach feces.

...do cockroaches have feces?

-- and does their excrement in turn produce its own excrement?

-- Ew, no!

-- Then there is no equivalent in your language for shisno.

GottaHavePride
12/23/2006, 11:17 PM
Dinner at Cafe Pacific in Highland Park Village.. followed by a horse drawn carriage ride to see all the Christmas lights in Highland Park. There are some neat boutique shops in HP Village as well.

Well, I'm not positive, but I think she would up using your suggestion, Lid. At any rate, she put up a picture on the interwebs of her at some pretty impressive lights. Not like she's talking to me at the moment, though, so she's probably not going to tell me to thank you guys for the suggestions.

colleyvillesooner
12/24/2006, 12:11 AM
What happened? Big trouble in little china?

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/24/2006, 12:30 AM
Anyone that listens to Lid shouldn't get the time of day anyway!!! Never talk to her again

soonerboomer93
12/24/2006, 12:39 AM

He listened to sic'em suggestion

:eek:

GottaHavePride
12/24/2006, 01:56 AM

Heh. As I said elsewhere - apparently she has decided the fact that I hadn't quite given up on her yet made her so uncomfortable that she has decided to stop talking to me and 3 of her other friends rather than just tell me to knock it off to my face. (Although I was just patiently waiting for her to figure out that she's not that crazy about the guy she's dating on her own time.)

Anyway, I'm done with it, and if she wants to lose 4 friends because she's not willing to talk to anyone about the situation that's something she'll have to live with.

proud gonzo
12/24/2006, 02:34 AM
yeah, and she still hasn't actually apologized to me for the dinner thang.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/24/2006, 10:30 AM
Come down to Riverwind, look around, find you a nice little Asian girl and I will see if she is single and looking ;)

william_brasky
12/24/2006, 11:11 AM
And when I get excited
My little China Girl says
Oh baby, just you shout your mouth.

she says, ssssshhhhhhhh
she says, ssssshhhhhhhh

soonerboomer93
12/24/2006, 12:44 PM
yeah, and she still hasn't actually apologized to me for the dinner thang.

i'd so neg her for that