PDA

View Full Version : my iPod crapped out on me!

TopDaugIn2000
11/26/2006, 10:14 PM
was on my way to visit the family for thanksgiving and it totally died. one minute it worked, the next it was D-E-D. Screen is totally blank. I hooked it up to my computer and got a message saying it was "corrupt, needs to be restored to original settings" so I clicked "ok". That ran for about 30 minutes, totally locked up my computer. now the computer doesn't even recognize when I plug the iPod in. I'm so pi$$ed. It's less than a year old.

do I have to send it back to Apple? Take it to the Apple store? what??????

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 10:20 PM
Plug it in to the wall and see if it charges at all.

If it does, just do a hard reset then do a restore with the iPod updater.

If it doesn't, call 1-800-SOS-APPL

proud gonzo
11/26/2006, 10:44 PM
go to the apple store. they'll probably give you a new one.

Iggy's wouldn't turn on and they didn't even ask what happened, they just handed him a new one.

orangekaje
11/26/2006, 10:47 PM
Probably a hard drive problem if it isn't a Nano.

TopDaugIn2000
11/27/2006, 07:42 AM
it's a video iPod

TopDaugIn2000
11/27/2006, 07:43 AM
go to the apple store. they'll probably give you a new one.

Iggy's wouldn't turn on and they didn't even ask what happened, they just handed him a new one.

that's what I hope I can do. Will have to go by sometime over the next few days. listening to CD's on a road trip is the SUC! :P

SicEmBaylor
11/27/2006, 02:06 PM
It's set to self destruct just before the holidays so you'll have to buy a new one.

...........knock on wood.

OUstudent4life
11/27/2006, 05:08 PM
Mine crapped out totally a while back.

Got absolutely nothing for it, too.

Just to add some sunshine to the thread :D.

I know what I'm getting for Christmas, though. Do I NEED the 80 G? I've probably got ~20 Gigs of music that I actually listen to...

yermom
11/27/2006, 05:30 PM
that means you have more room for videos or an OSX image to boot off of :)

TopDaugIn2000
11/28/2006, 07:42 AM
FINALLY got it going last night. had to totally reformat it back to it's original factory settings and then start over. WHEW!!!!!!

and yes, you really DO need the 80 gig. :D
(coming from someone that has about 15 gigs of music on a 60 gig pod)

TopDaugIn2000
11/28/2006, 07:44 AM
and I REALLY hate it that the 80 gig is cheaper than what I paid for my 60.....:mad: :mad: :mad:

sooneron
11/28/2006, 07:50 AM
Get applecare. YWIA!!

batonrougesooner
11/28/2006, 08:29 AM
I had the exact same thing happen to me last week with my nano.

It happened after I agreed to "update" to the new iTunes. It wouldn't let me buy anything until I did.

The result of this seemingly ill-fated click was complete corruption of my ipod and the itunes library. I thought I was completely and expensively screwed since I couldn't find my music library after this happened.

Ultimately I kept foolin' with it, restarting my computer and reformatting my ipod, and suddenly all became well again.

Couldn't tell ya.

TopDaugIn2000
11/28/2006, 08:41 AM
I had the exact same thing happen to me last week with my nano.

It happened after I agreed to "update" to the new iTunes. It wouldn't let me buy anything until I did.

The result of this seemingly ill-fated click was complete corruption of my ipod and the itunes library. I thought I was completely and expensively screwed since I couldn't find my music library after this happened.

Ultimately I kept foolin' with it, restarting my computer and reformatting my ipod, and suddenly all became well again.

Couldn't tell ya.

come to think of it...I think this happened just after I had updated iTunes as well..........

did Microsoft buy out Apple or something??????? :P

Sooner_Bob
11/28/2006, 08:50 AM
Awww man. I haven't hooked my iPod up to my PC in a while. I sure hope it doesn't crash on me the next time I do.

I'm pretty sure I've updated to the latest version of iTunes already.

Either way I'm planning to redo all of my playlists anyway.