PDA

View Full Version : Where does everyone get the idea that Boise goes to the Fiesta?

yermom
11/26/2006, 08:33 PM
the Fiesta picks last, but Boise is rated higher than the ACC champ and maybe Big East champ will be, and one of them would have to be picked earlier

it seems like the Orange Bowl might want the Smurfs over Wake Forest/Georgia Tech or Rutgers if they win out

i guess there is geography to consider

the Big East/ACC game looks to be a lesser matchup, as well as the Big 12 vs Boise

the extra game may not be all that great of an idea...

the Rose and Sugar Bowls could be pretty good though

if there was no Fiesta this year, it would likely mean LSU was in the Rose or Sugar and the Big 12 winner would be in the other one, no Boise, no ND

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2006, 08:36 PM
if we win, what bowl do we go to?

if we lose, same question?

royalfan5
11/26/2006, 08:39 PM
If somebody has to take Boise, the Fiesta Bowl would be most logical because their fan base will be concetrated in the West, and BSU fans would probably attend a game in Phoenix better than Miami, although it would being ironic to see the Broncos in the Orange Bowl, and the Hurricanes in the Boise Bowl game.

yermom
11/26/2006, 08:40 PM
if we win, we play in the Fiesta Bowl in the new Cardinals stadium in Glendale (the NC game is there a week later)

if we lose, i think we go to the Gator, but it could be the Cotton or Holiday in theory, i guess

i would think that at 10-3 we would be more attractive than a 9-3 Texas or aTm, but who knows?

Blues1
11/26/2006, 08:41 PM
EVEN when we win The Big 12 --- Something tells me - We WON"T see Boise State in a Bowl -- OR maybe it's just my Hopeful Thinking...... ;)

bri
11/26/2006, 08:49 PM
I think the Fiesta is just the de facto "charming, quaint mid-major BCS-buster" destination. I hope we get BSU in the Fiesta, 'cause you know the media will be trying to draw parallels to the Utah/Pitt matchup three years ago...right up until we donkey-punch the Broncos in front of God, their mothers, and America. :D

JohnnyMack
11/26/2006, 08:50 PM
Someone said Gator has #2 pick over the Cotton. That right?

mrowl
11/26/2006, 08:52 PM
yep, gator picks 1st.

Fiesta has to take big 12 champ, and since fiesta picks last, and because of the destination. Thats why they get Boise.

MextheBulldog
11/26/2006, 08:52 PM
Fiesta rep's were at the Boise game and basically told 'em they are going. Most bowls pretty much know who they are going to ask at this point. Boise's been projecting towards Fiesta all year (assuming they won out).

tulsaoilerfan
11/26/2006, 08:54 PM
Boy that's an attractive match up for sure

yermom
11/26/2006, 08:57 PM
that's what i'm saying though, it's not the Fiesta's choice, they get stuck with the last team

silverwheels
11/26/2006, 08:58 PM
The Rose Bowl is losing both of its contestants to the NC game, so technically they pick first. Of course Michigan will be one of the teams, but who else will they pick? Hopefully not Notre Dame since the Wolverines already bitch-slapped them earlier this year. Maybe if it had been a close game, then the rematch might be tempting. I think the winner of the Big XII Championship game is a more attractive choice.

Automatic bids:

Ohio State (Big Ten champs, BCS #1--going to NC game)
USC (I'm assuming they'll handle UCLA; Pac-10 champs, BCS #2--NC game)
Winner of SECCG (Sugar Bowl)
Winner of B12CG (Fiesta Bowl or possibly Rose Bowl)
Winner of ACCCG (Orange Bowl)
Big East Champ (probably going to be Louisville--guessing they go to the Sugar)
Boise State (Fiesta)

At-large bids:

Michigan (BCS #3--going to Rose Bowl)
Notre Dame (either Fiesta or Rose)
LSU (BCS top 8, good record--probably going to the Orange, so Florida won't have to play them again)

Rogue
11/26/2006, 09:02 PM
Where does everyone get the idea that Boise goes to the Fiesta?

Not [just ;) ] to be a smartass, but from places like these:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83770

Rogue
11/26/2006, 09:04 PM
Where are my fellow conspiracy-theorists.
Surely the big bowl folks will talk to one another.
Fiesta to Others: We'd like Oklahoma and one other team in the west.
Others to Fiesta: We'd like so-and-so this year because they will fill seats etc...

Jackal
11/26/2006, 09:05 PM
It's gonna suck to play Boise State, it is a total no-win situation for our boys. If we win, we gain nothing b/c we are suppose to beat this wannabe Div I team...........and we got everything to lose.

yermom
11/26/2006, 09:17 PM
The Rose Bowl is losing both of its contestants to the NC game, so technically they pick first. Of course Michigan will be one of the teams, but who else will they pick? Hopefully not Notre Dame since the Wolverines already bitch-slapped them earlier this year. Maybe if it had been a close game, then the rematch might be tempting. I think the winner of the Big XII Championship game is a more attractive choice.

Automatic bids:

Ohio State (Big Ten champs, BCS #1--going to NC game)
USC (I'm assuming they'll handle UCLA; Pac-10 champs, BCS #2--NC game)
Winner of SECCG (Sugar Bowl)
Winner of B12CG (Fiesta Bowl or possibly Rose Bowl)
Winner of ACCCG (Orange Bowl)
Big East Champ (probably going to be Louisville--guessing they go to the Sugar)
Boise State (Fiesta)

At-large bids:

Michigan (BCS #3--going to Rose Bowl)
Notre Dame (either Fiesta or Rose)
LSU (BCS top 8, good record--probably going to the Orange, so Florida won't have to play them again)

unless something has changed in the rules, the Big 12 winner goes to Glendale, and the SEC winner goes to New Orleans. the Orange Bowl is a bit more ambiguous, i think they have first choice of the Big East or ACC champ, and then the 2nd from last pick

i would think that the bowls will try to avoid LSU playing the SEC winner and Michigan playing ND since they would both be rematches

bri
11/26/2006, 09:22 PM
Rematch or no, you KNOW the Rose is popping wood right now at the thought of Michigan and Notre Dame playing in The Granddaddy.

Well, you know, they would be popping wood if they were still physically capable of it. You know, because they're OLD. 'Cause they're the Rose Bowl. It's like the Matlock of major bowls.

silverwheels
11/26/2006, 09:28 PM
unless something has changed in the rules, the Big 12 winner goes to Glendale, and the SEC winner goes to New Orleans. the Orange Bowl is a bit more ambiguous, i think they have first choice of the Big East or ACC champ, and then the 2nd from last pick

i would think that the bowls will try to avoid LSU playing the SEC winner and Michigan playing ND since they would both be rematches

That's what I'm saying, although I think the rules say that the bowl that loses the #1 team to the NC game if that bowl isn't hosting it gets to pick a replacement before all the other bowls. Since the Rose Bowl is going to lose both teams, they get to pick both teams before the other non-NC games do. I don't know if that means they get to poach a conference champ away from its BCS tie-in, but if it does, then the Rose might pick us (if we win, of course) to play there instead of against Boise in the Fiesta. Either way, I don't care as long as we beat Nebraska.

Oldnslo
11/26/2006, 09:35 PM
Personally, I'm holding on to my fantasy of an OU/Meatchicken Rose Bowl.

But, I'm funny that way.

noobalicious
11/26/2006, 09:55 PM
It is impossible for us to go to any other BCS bowl game other than the Fiesta. If we lose we won't see the BCS at all. If we win we automatically get to the Fiesta:

2. Unless they qualify to play in the NCG, the champions of selected conferences are contractually committed to host selected games:

Atlantic Coast Conference-Orange Bowl
Big Ten Conference-Rose Bowl
Big 12 Conference-Fiesta Bowl
Pac-10 Conference-Rose Bowl
Southeastern Conference-Sugar Bowl

It is just a matter of who we would play then. The Rose Bowl will need to select two replacements, no way do they pick Boise State in a million years. They will select first:

In such case, the bowl losing the No. 1 team gets the first replacement pick, and the bowl losing the No. 2 team gets the second replacement pick. If the Rose Bowl loses both the Big Ten and Pac-10 champions to the NCG, it will receive two replacement picks.

Neither will the Sugar or Orange. It just doesn't make sense. Will they get stuck with Boise State? I doubt it...

C. The bowl hosting the game that is played in the time slot immediately after the Rose Bowl game will pick last
(this year the Fiesta Bowl)

So recapping...unless SUC lays an egg against UCLA...we get MNC of Ohio State and SUC.

Bowl selection order will be the contractual obligations first:

ACC to Orange Bowl (Wake Forest or GA Tech)
Big 12 to Fiesta Bowl (OU or Shuckers)
SEC to Sugar Bowl (Gators or Hogs)

Then we have:

Rose Bowl 1st pick
Rose Bowl 2nd pick
Sugar Bowl 2nd pick
Orange Bowl 2nd pick
Fiesta Bowl 2nd pick

And of course Boise State MUST be selected:

The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings

The only other representative at their game vs. Nevada was from the Orange Bowl and I seriously doubt the BCS bowl FURTHEST from Idaho will take them. Fiesta Bowl rep basically told them to pack for Glendale...and they are going to get the leftovers there anyways.

Hence...Boise State is pretty much locked into the Fiesta Bowl. This pretty much sucks because if we manage to get to the Fiesta Bowl its lose lose for us. If we win it's no big deal (whoop-de-do game of the post New Years games)...and if we lose then we suck because we lost to a team from a "crappy conference".

Let's just take care of business and run the table.

Soonermagik
11/26/2006, 10:05 PM
Someone said Gator has #2 pick over the Cotton. That right?

Every 4 years the gator bowl can pick over the cotton bowl.

CatfishSooner
11/26/2006, 10:32 PM
We would beat BS by 50

Sooner98
11/26/2006, 10:43 PM
Has anyone else heard the rumor of the Rose Bowl maybe making some kind of "deal" with the Fiesta to take OU to Pasadena, to play Michigan? Take it with a grain of salt, but that's what I've heard on the radio, and other message boards.

dolemitesooner
11/26/2006, 11:00 PM
that's what i'm saying though, it's not the Fiesta's choice, they get stuck with the last team
No **** mr Holmes.....And they are the worst ****ing team they are worse tahn those crappy big east teams and no won will want them thats the whole point...damn.

You are no the noer aller of the bcs...

mr. MIchagan is going to play Ohio state again

sooneron
11/26/2006, 11:04 PM
trouble in paradise??

yermom
11/26/2006, 11:05 PM
i said it was possible that losing wouldn't drop them below #2 in the BCS

and they still have a shot to play tOSU again

i never said it was definite that they would play again, just saying that "there is a chance" isn't saying it's going to happen or that i want it to happen, retard ;)

SoonerLB
11/26/2006, 11:16 PM
Boise State scares me a lot more than Nebraska does. Boise can light up the scoreboard, and keep the lights flashing. And as was said above, they don't have a thing to lose, no matter who they play.
But there isn't much sense worrying about bowl games just yet, we DO have to beat Nebraska, and that means not only getting the lead, but NOT SITTING ON the lead!

badger
11/26/2006, 11:17 PM
Playing BSU is a losing situation--- do they have a fan base, or just people that are bored in Idaho?

If we win, we had an easy opponent. If we lose, we are overrated, like the rest of our conference, yadda yadda.

I say the better discussion is how much Mack will have to beg to get the whorns in a BCS game.

yermom
11/26/2006, 11:28 PM
who says they are easy?

i can't imagine if we get there that the players or coaches are going to think lightly of them

the computers and the pollsters think they are a top 10 team (the computers say #7), i can't imagine anyone giving us crap about that... although it won't be as nice as beating teh BCS reject last year