PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Players with FM Tuners

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/26/2006, 07:48 PM
Can anyone recommend a good brand? IPODs only have the transmitters. I'm looking for something so that you can also listen to the radio on the same device.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 07:56 PM
Zune has this, but the reviews have been pretty negative.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/26/2006, 07:57 PM
Where do I see reviews? BestBuy has a 2GB Insignia Sport MP3 player.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 08:03 PM
I usually just punch in the model number and "review" on Google and it brings up a pretty good selection.

mrowl
11/26/2006, 08:11 PM
ipods have the fm tuner add on. can get it from apple.

orangekaje
11/26/2006, 08:11 PM
Well with the iPod, you can get the FM radio remote accessory

Depends on what type you're looking for but Creative has a lot of mp3 players with an FM radio (hard drive and flash based).

soonerboomer93
11/26/2006, 08:21 PM
Iriver has them built in, i've had good luck with them before I moved to an iPod

OCUDad
11/26/2006, 08:46 PM
iRiver MP3/tuner combinations don't have much in the way of storage, do they? Like maybe 512MB to 1 Gig?

I'd go with the FM receiver add-on option to an iPod. Failing that, Creative Zen makes some very nice combinations with sufficient memory to store more than a few songs.

Good luck.

SicEmBaylor
11/26/2006, 08:47 PM
I have an old iriver with a built in FM radio that also recorded straight to the player from FM radio which was pretty cool.

GottaHavePride
11/26/2006, 10:42 PM
Um, if you have the iPod, what do you need the radio for? I think all radio stations suck anyway. ;)

orangekaje
11/26/2006, 10:45 PM
Um, if you have the iPod, what do you need the radio for? I think all radio stations suck anyway. ;)

For what else? Sports!

GottaHavePride
11/26/2006, 10:55 PM
Heh. I'm too lazy to try to follow radio broadcasts of sports. I want someone with a telestrator to draw tiny Lee Corsos all over the field while they're describing the replay they're about to show.

soonerboomer93
11/26/2006, 11:14 PM
iRiver MP3/tuner combinations don't have much in the way of storage, do they? Like maybe 512MB to 1 Gig?

I'd go with the FM receiver add-on option to an iPod. Failing that, Creative Zen makes some very nice combinations with sufficient memory to store more than a few songs.

Good luck.

they used to have larger, they might be redesigning them.

currently their largest is a 4gb version

http://www.iriveramerica.com/

OUTromBoNado
11/27/2006, 12:24 AM
I have the 8GB Creative Zen Microphoto. I like it. Good sound quality. I don't have a huge music collection, so I can fit all of my mp3s on it. It as the built in tuner, and seems to work okay. Just remember, since mp3 players are small, their FM antennas are small...which mean very little gain. They are okay, but aren't really designed to be great FM receivers.

But, if you're in a city or at a stadium listening to a game, you should be able to pick up the broadcast fairly easily...unless you listen to the Tulsa Animal...I have never heard a Tulsa station have such spotty coverage in Tulsa.

I don't know how they will fair in a basketball arena, though.

orangekaje
11/27/2006, 12:45 AM
I have the 8GB Creative Zen Microphoto. I like it. Good sound quality. I don't have a huge music collection, so I can fit all of my mp3s on it. It as the built in tuner, and seems to work okay. Just remember, since mp3 players are small, their FM antennas are small...which mean very little gain. They are okay, but aren't really designed to be great FM receivers.

Do you use a different pair of earbuds than what came with the MicroPhoto? The antennae is built into the earbuds, so if you're using a different set that doesn't have that built in, your reception will be poor.

soonerboomer93
11/27/2006, 02:50 AM
the ear buds act as antenna, it's not built into them. any headset will act as the antenna for devices like that

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/27/2006, 07:51 AM
Um, if you have the iPod, what do you need the radio for? I think all radio stations suck anyway. ;)It's for my brother. I have XM so I never listen to regular radio anymore. He likes listening to Sports Talk.

frankensooner
11/27/2006, 10:22 AM
My Daughter's Creative Zen 1 gig (which is getting replaced this xmas with an Ipod nano 4 gig) works great as a radio/mp3/recorder. I don't know if that helps at all, but they are pretty cheap now at wall hell.

BeetDigger
11/27/2006, 10:32 AM
I have an inexpensive sandisk that gets great reception. They're inexpensive too. I use it in the gym, where I would never use an expensive unit, and it is perfect. I looked at the Zen units that have video- wow. Berry, berry rice.

OUTromBoNado
11/27/2006, 02:42 PM
Do you use a different pair of earbuds than what came with the MicroPhoto? The antennae is built into the earbuds, so if you're using a different set that doesn't have that built in, your reception will be poor.

Yeah, I'm using different earbuds, but like I said, they seem to work fine. They were only $9.99...but they are Sennheisers.:cool:

C&CDean
11/27/2006, 03:52 PM
I purchased a Sandisk 2 Gig MP3 player with FM radio, video, etc. You can even record off the FM radio (bet y'all would never expect those words to come outta my face). I listen to it on the airplane with my Bose Noise Cancelling headphones. I think I paid about $250 for the MP3 at a Radio Shack in Baltimore, and $300 for the headphones. They RMFO.

The MP3 player is smaller than a credit card, and maybe a quarter-inch thick. Fits into your front shirt pocket very easily.

This is the one I have:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1166)-SanDisk_Sansa_e200_Series_MP3_Players.aspx