PDA

View Full Version : Will the weather in KC benefit the Huskers?

SoonerShark
11/26/2006, 06:37 PM
The weather some of the days this week in Lincoln may be colder than KC is supposed to be on Saturday. I always felt it was absurd to play the Big XII championship game in Missouri in December at night. We are selecting a champion in Arctic conditions to play a warm weather bowl game, which is very stupid and lacking in insight. 2000 and 2003 in KC was miserable. In 2003, Jason White was hurt.

Would warm weather have kept him healthier for both the championship game and the national championship game? 2004 against CU was pretty nice. 2006 is supposed to cold. accuweather.com has the day's high of 43 with a "realfeel" of 32 during the day and 25 with a "realfeel" of 14 at night. We were not that great against CU when it was cold in Norman, and we started slowly against Tech in Norman when it was fairly cool.

colleyvillesooner
11/26/2006, 06:40 PM
Not to mention it was in Houston last year...at 11 am. :mad:

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 06:41 PM
I don't think the temp had anything to do with OU's performance against CU or TTU. And as I've heard Stoops say before, BOTH teams have to play in the same conditions.

JohnnyMack
11/26/2006, 06:42 PM
Would warm weather have kept him healthier for both the championship game and the national championship game?

Yeah, the weather. That's why we lost. The weather did it. ;)

Jason White's Third Knee
11/26/2006, 06:44 PM
Both teams are pretty run heavy, so it shouldn't matter much, but I agree. Why do we play there? It's not convenient.

Blues1
11/26/2006, 06:45 PM
Totally Stupid to PLAY a Big 12 Champ Game in Kansas City in December -- Why do they KEEP getting this Game..???

IF the Big 12 wants this game -- PUT in A Dome Stadium and give each team a EQUAL chance to Win it...OR DROP it....!!! --JMHO...

Jason White's Third Knee
11/26/2006, 06:48 PM
Is this game ever a sellout?

SoonerShark
11/26/2006, 06:51 PM
The question was not if we lost because of it, it was will it benefit Nebraska? To say it has no affect is to ignore the significance of being used to the extreme heat and humidity or the extreme cold when you are used to warm weather. Teams that were not used to 100 degree temperatures wilted in Norman in the second half. Cold will affect the situation. We did not look sharp against CU since we should have beaten them in Norman much worse than we did. When Gundy was our quarterback and burned our timeouts in the 1st and 3rd quarters it was generally 40 degrees or less and we would always lose. You could track our performances by the temperature in the years since Switzer, when this was SwitzerLand, we played comparably well in the cold. 2000 in KC was the sole glitch in post-80s trend that I remember.

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 06:54 PM
I don't think the temp had anything to do with OU's performance against CU or TTU. And as I've heard Stoops say before, BOTH teams have to play in the same conditions.

shavedmarmoset
11/26/2006, 07:24 PM
They should keep it in Reliant. Houston weather in winter is acceptable to everyone. Humidity's lower than usual, it's not ungodly hot, and it's definitely not cold enough to affect teams' play.

OklahomaTuba
11/26/2006, 07:34 PM
The wind is pretty bad in KC, no wonder Mack didn't want to play there this year.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/26/2006, 07:35 PM
The question was not if we lost because of it, it was will it benefit Nebraska? To say it has no affect is to ignore the significance of being used to the extreme heat and humidity or the extreme cold when you are used to warm weather. Teams that were not used to 100 degree temperatures wilted in Norman in the second half. Cold will affect the situation. We did not look sharp against CU since we should have beaten them in Norman much worse than we did. When Gundy was our quarterback and burned our timeouts in the 1st and 3rd quarters it was generally 40 degrees or less and we would always lose. You could track our performances by the temperature in the years since Switzer, when this was SwitzerLand, we played comparably well in the cold. 2000 in KC was the sole glitch in post-80s trend that I remember.

I doubt it will benefit nu. It hasn't been terribly cold this year and for that matter, how many players are from Nebraska (or similar climates) and have become aclimated. I've lived in Illinois for 6 years now and I still think it's too ****ing cold up here.

royalfan5
11/26/2006, 07:36 PM
Is this game ever a sellout?
It will be this year.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/26/2006, 07:38 PM
It will be this year.

Probably. Are the Neb fans all jacked up this year?

Fugue
11/26/2006, 07:40 PM

:texan:

royalfan5
11/26/2006, 07:43 PM
Probably. Are the Neb fans all jacked up this year?
Yep, it's the first time we're in the game since 1999, and it is easy to get to Arrowhead from Lincoln and Omaha, plus all the NU alums and fans in KC. NU fans are going to jack up the price for tickets a bunch at the very least. NU fans have been buying up tickets since they have been available, not just the team allotment but the general public allotment. NU fans tend to be optimistic and order CCG tickets every year, and this year they get to use them. Plus crop prices are sky high so it's a good year for disposable income in the state.

mrowl
11/26/2006, 07:47 PM
It will be this year.

it may be sold out, but there will be empty seats.

and since when is Nebraska "run heavy"? Their running game is not that great.

bearcat_sooner
11/26/2006, 07:53 PM
Looks like perfect weather for football:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/64152

royalfan5
11/26/2006, 07:59 PM
it may be sold out, but there will be empty seats.

and since when is Nebraska "run heavy"? Their running game is not that great.
NU has attempted 150 more runs than throws. It's not the Solich-wing, but NU will run the ball a ton. The Running game is a ton better than last year, NU has doubled the Net rushing yards from last year.

mrowl
11/26/2006, 08:01 PM
NU has attempted 150 more runs than throws. It's not the Solich-wing, but NU will run the ball a ton. The Running game is a ton better than last year, NU has doubled the Net rushing yards from last year.

if the running game was worth anything, they would have beat texas.

huskermike1
11/26/2006, 08:03 PM
I see your guys view of the title game being up here but this is the flip side view. Think of all the times either OU or NU went to florida for a bowl and had to play a home team, now with all the texas teams in the B12, having the ccg in texas is like a home field for them. I like the rotation of one year in North country and one year in south country unless they can find a true neutral site it is the best way in my opinion. But texas is trying to get it every year and I dont want that, They joined our conference we didnt join theirs yet they have taken all league offices and try to make all the decisions for the league or force their view on the rest of us. It is the Big12 not The big southwest conference we saved their bacon they didnt rescue the Big 8 like they seem to think. I hate texas and long for the days when we got to play you guys every year. Granted I hated some of the outcomes but it was a respectful rivalry.

royalfan5
11/26/2006, 08:05 PM
if the running game was worth anything, they would have beat texas.
If Terrence Nunn holds on to the ball, NU beats Texas. NU will run the ball a ton, even if it's not effective. The NU running game is worse in short yardage situations because our OL doesn't seal gaps very well and gives up a lot of penetration in those situations. It's more effective on the early downs when the defense has to account for more options.

huskermike1
11/26/2006, 08:12 PM
If Terrence Nunn holds on to the ball, NU beats Texas. NU will run the ball a ton, even if it's not effective. The NU running game is worse in short yardage situations because our OL doesn't seal gaps very well and gives up a lot of penetration in those situations. It's more effective on the early downs when the defense has to account for more options.
It was a gutsy call that worked, I just wish they had threw it to a reciever not known for fumbling. I felt sorry for the kid.

Jackal
11/26/2006, 08:16 PM
Stoops should work them out in a meat packing house this week.