PDA

View Full Version : Know the foe, Nebbish...

goingoneight
11/26/2006, 05:34 PM
I can tell you that this team has more potential than they are generally willing to use. I definitely think we can contain their RBs, Jackson and Lucky, but we were back to OUr terrible tackling and covering ways against aggy, so we need to look out for big plays in the passing game. We fell for the half-back pass against aggy, and the corn loves to run that. This will undoubtedly be tough, as Nebbish has really known for weeks to expect a B12 Title visit, and will probably be the bulk of the crowd, worst case scenario. This game is sooo big, with only a week to figure them out, but I think again, taking away their kick return game and pressuring their QB is the answer to win. Any corn'skers on the site to provide more info on your team, I've really only seen them dominate Colorado and ULaLa and the Okie State loss, which I still think is uncharacteristic of Nebbish. Had aggy traveled to a real stadium like yours in Lincoln, the game goes much heavier in your favor.

Sooners, 'Skers and other outsiders... what do you know or respect about this opponent for OU.

westcoast_sooner
11/26/2006, 05:52 PM
A couple of flaws in your logic, the way I see it.
1. Yep, they have known for several weeks that they were the front-runner for the Big XII North title. But until Friday, they likely believed they'd get a rematch against Texas. They didn't know until yesterday that they would be playing us for sure. Plus, they haven't seen us since last year. I don't think that's an advantage for them.

2. I think it was 2002 when I went to the Big XII title game when OU played Colorado in Houston at Reliant stadium. A lot of Texas fans had purchased a ton of tickets to the game, and when we won the South, there were tons of tickets. I think with OU's proximity to Kansas City, our fans will be there buying them up.

We've seen offenses similar to what they run, and I'm sure Coach Stoops and the rest of the staff will have our guys ready for Saturday.

Blues1
11/26/2006, 05:58 PM
From What I've seen of the Huskers looks to me ...

Keep Pressure on Taylor all day (Night)...Get him Frustrated -Not easy to do..
To Win - We need at least two turn overs...3 would be better...
Do what we Do and don't get Fancy....Run - Run - Run
Play our Best Defense of the year...
Depending on weather - ?? - Keep our players with fresh legs as Possible...
If it's Freezing cold .. ? - Look for Low scoring game....Field goals may Win this....
JMHO.....

royalfan5
11/26/2006, 06:07 PM
The OSU game was an abberation for the most part. It was a trap game for NU coming off the heartbreaker to Texas and before the North Playoff with Mizzou. NU jumped on the Pokes and just went to sleep. Stuff like that happens with young teams. NU has had the tendency to jump on teams and fall asleep, OSU, KU, TAMU, and Mizzou are all examples of this to varying degrees.

Our Secondary is the epitome of shaky, and our LB's aren't blazingly fast except for Octavian, and there are frequent mental lapses among them. The front 4 is the strength of the unit.

On offense, the OL struggles to protect on 7 step drops, and some times has trouble with quick DL's leading to deep penetration on some running plays, but they have been pretty effective running the ball for the most part this year. They have been a little dinged lately. The TE's get more false starts than receptions, but are adequate blockers. NU has run lots of shifts prior to the snap this year, and I doubt that we stop now. The WR's are solid as a group and we play a lot of them. Purify is the best of the group. Sometimes they have shakey hands especially Hardy. Jackson is the clear feature back now. The FB is a blocker only. Callahan loves trick plays and this year has had a ton of success with them. NU fakes a lot of kicks and won't kick one past 40. Congdon is accurate but doesn't have a big leg. The special teams have their moments of good and bad. Catching kicks is often an adventure for our returners. I'm sure I'll think of more later.

shavedmarmoset
11/26/2006, 06:51 PM
If we get Darrien back this week, our secondary will be noticeably better than it was against aggy.

huskermike1
11/26/2006, 08:32 PM
If ya guys want to talk with some of us Our board is free to join also here is a link. http://www.bighuskerfan.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3

huskermike1
11/26/2006, 08:42 PM
Our defense has had some trouble tackling lately also. We have jumped on teams early and went in to a protect the lead mode most of the year. Our 3rd quarter offense has sucked. If we have our running game going we are tough to beat because Taylor (you guys let a good one get away) can pick ya apart off the play action. Taylor is not fleet of foot so if you can pressure him he can get knocked around but he will step into a hit to get a pass off, he is a tough kid. at one point this season he was the top rated passer in the nation even after we showed a turtle type offense against sc ( a lot of fans were calling for heads to roll for that game plan).

Rogue
11/26/2006, 08:50 PM
Stolen from huskerpedia.
Obligatory Link: http://65.98.70.3/vbbs/showthread.php?t=34124

How have the two teams fared against common opponents?

Texas
OU-"home" L10-28
NU-home L20-22

ISU
OU-home W34-9
NU-away W28-14

CU
OU-home W24-3
NU-home W37-14

MU
OU-away W26-10
NU-home W34-20

A&M
OU-away W17-16
NU-away W28-27

OSU
OU-away W27-21
NU-away L29-41

OU probably has a slight advantage given the win at OSU where NU had, shall we say, difficulty, and a victory at MU. NU fared better against UT and both teams scored 1-point wins at A&M. Overall, not a huge difference.

sooneron
11/26/2006, 09:20 PM
We need the offense to keep the D off the field more late in the game. That will probably eliminate some of the sloppy tackling.

badger
11/26/2006, 10:24 PM
I would like to remind you all that I was the good Sooner fan.

I put my avatar and sig on the line (with Herr and HskrGrl) for the Big 12 championship--- banking that Sooner Magic would come through (and Greg Davis, too. Thank you, Greg Davis!).

So, regardless of the outcome (but I already know that OU will win, otherwise I wouldn't have made the bet), I would just like to say that everybody who bet all their vCash that Texas would win the conference SEVERELY sucks. That is all.

Oh... and as for Nebraska, pelt Callahan with an Orange and we'll be coasting to victory.

Doged
11/27/2006, 03:44 AM
Going by stats and the couple of times I've seen Nebbish play this season this shapes up to be one hell of a great game. These two teams are very similar in a lot of ways.

Note to visiting Poke fans: If you click the link above for the 'Husker boards, notice how there are a few "I hate the Sooners" posts while the vast majority of the board is threads about 'Husker football, upcoming games, etc? You guys should try that on your boards (only substitute "Pokes" in place of "Huskers"... talking about 'Husker football on a Poke board would be bad, okay?). ;)

Rogue
11/27/2006, 01:12 PM
Are they running a real "West Coast" offense?
If so, I think we'll match up well.
What always gives us fits seems to be the first time we play a mobile QB a'la Brad Smith.

Seems they are almost playing Beamer-ball with the great special teams at Bugeater U.

royalfan5
11/27/2006, 01:18 PM
Are they running a real "West Coast" offense?
If so, I think we'll match up well.
What always gives us fits seems to be the first time we play a mobile QB a'la Brad Smith.

Seems they are almost playing Beamer-ball with the great special teams at Bugeater U.
That comes down to what a real "West Coast" offense is? It's become about as vague a term as "Pro Style" offense. NU uses mostly 3 and 5 step drops, and doesn't take a lot of big shots down field, although they will on occasion. NU WR's are pretty big for the most part, and that is used to our Advantage. Callahan like to establish the run when he can, and don't expect NU to throw the ball around like Mike Leach or something.

TUSooner
11/27/2006, 01:19 PM
The OSU game was an abberation for the most part. It was a trap game for NU coming off the heartbreaker to Texas and before the North Playoff with Mizzou. NU jumped on the Pokes and just went to sleep. Stuff like that happens with young teams. NU has had the tendency to jump on teams and fall asleep, OSU, KU, TAMU, and Mizzou are all examples of this to varying degrees....

So, you recommend that OU fall way behind early and lull the Huskers to sleep before making a dramatic comeback?
Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

:D

KABOOKIE
11/27/2006, 01:26 PM
2. I think it was 2002 when I went to the Big XII title game when OU played Colorado in Houston at Reliant stadium. A lot of Texas fans had purchased a ton of tickets to the game, and when we won the South, there were tons of tickets. I think with OU's proximity to Kansas City, our fans will be there buying them up.

That was more a factor of playing Colorado than anything. With the way Nebraska fans travel and the game in KC, you can bet tickets will be going for at least face value and they will be bought up quickly.

royalfan5
11/27/2006, 01:44 PM
So, you recommend that OU fall way behind early and lull the Huskers to sleep before making a dramatic comeback?
Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

:D
Exactly, a 4 or 5 touchdown lead would be perfect for putting NU to sleep and luring them into the Sooner trap.;)

OUMallen
11/27/2006, 02:14 PM
From What I've seen of the Huskers looks to me ...

Keep Pressure on Taylor all day (Night)...Get him Frustrated -Not easy to do..

Yes

To Win - We need at least two turn overs...3 would be better...

No we don't.

Do what we Do and don't get Fancy....Run - Run - Run

Yes

Play our Best Defense of the year...

Considering how well we've played at times, not necessary.

Depending on weather - ?? - Keep our players with fresh legs as Possible...

We need no changes to our current substitution philosophy.

If it's Freezing cold .. ? - Look for Low scoring game....Field goals may Win this....
JMHO.....

Ground game will prove to be more important than kicking game. Cold weather is bad for field goals, anyway. It's not going to be snowing (supposedly), so I don't expect drives to stall due to weather.

Veritas
11/27/2006, 02:25 PM
First off, I'm really glad that OU and NU are going head to head to close out the season for something that matters. It reminds me of the way things used to be, and I'd much rather play OU than Texas.

That said, when it comes to Nebraska's chances of winning, I'd much rather play Texas. I'll take my chances against Mack on his best day over Stoops on his worst. Mack needs to call Vince Young every day and thank him for having won a title for him, because sans VY, that team loses three games last year.

I said this to CVS in an email, but I hope you Sooner faithful appreciate the extraordinary work that this season represents. You've lost your quarterback AND your freakishly good running back, but for a few seconds of zebrafied stupidity the Sooners would be in the running for a shot to play "the" Ohio State University.

Regarding "what OU needs to do to win," I'll give you two numbers: 2 and 25. You figure out their significance. :D

OSUAggie
11/27/2006, 02:37 PM
Grixby and Jones..... OU apparently doesn't like to throw the ball downfield, so I don't think those 2 will matter that much.

Veritas
11/27/2006, 02:47 PM
Grixby and Jones..... OU apparently doesn't like to throw the ball downfield, so I don't think those 2 will matter that much.
Bingo...sorta obvious one there, but those guys are NU's biggest weakness defensively. Well, that and the white-haired guy wearing the headset. I bet he marches out the 4-2-5 on Saturday.

royalfan5
11/27/2006, 02:48 PM
Bingo...sorta obvious one there, but those guys are NU's biggest weakness defensively. Well, that and the white-haired guy wearing the headset. I bet he marches out the 4-2-5 on Saturday.
Or the 3-3-5 like against Tech. On the upside at least that might get Thernarse and Culbert on the field so at least there will be two players that like to run and hit.

OSUAggie
11/27/2006, 02:55 PM
I think Shanle is more of a problem than the corners... I assume he's still playing, haven't watched a game in a bit.

Veritas
Or the 3-3-5 like against Tech. On the upside at least that might get Thernarse and Culbert on the field so at least there will be two players that like to run and hit.
At least against Tech he tossed the 3-3-5 after NU got down 21 and switched to the 3-4, after which NU shut them down and damn near won.

This year against KU Nebraska comes out in a 4-3, KU starts owning the secondary...what's Cosbohl do? Stays in the base 4-3, everyone in their lanes, no stunting.

Against OSU the Huskers come out in a 4-2-5, OSU starts owning the ground...what's Cosbohl do? Stays in the 4-2-5.

IMO if he comes out in the 4-2-5 Nebraska loses, because if AP starts running all over he won't adjust. Plus, our secondary, the smallest guys on the field, like to do that thing where they use their incredible body mass to knock people over rather than taking them low and wrapping them up (coughshanlecough).

OUMallen

We don't like to risk turnovers when you're playing against poor run defenses like OSU's, is the correct way to state what you're getting at.

royalfan5
11/27/2006, 03:03 PM
At least against Tech he tossed the 3-3-5 after NU got down 21 and switched to the 3-4, after which NU shut them down and damn near won.

This year against KU Nebraska comes out in a 4-3, KU starts owning the secondary...what's Cosbohl do? Stays in the base 4-3, everyone in their lanes, no stunting.

Against OSU the Huskers come out in a 4-2-5, OSU starts owning the ground...what's Cosbohl do? Stays in the 4-2-5.

IMO if he comes out in the 4-2-5 Nebraska loses, because if AP starts running all over he won't adjust. Plus, our secondary, the smallest guys on the field, like to do that thing where they use their incredible body mass to knock people over rather than taking them low and wrapping them up (coughshanlecough).
He's not one for adjustments that's for sure. I think it will come down to how concerned they are about Thompson's mobility. I hope that stopping the RB's is our top priority and that the ends came come up with enough pressure to allow our secondary to not comepletly breakdown in passing situations. I think if NU can stop the run enough to force consistent 3 and longs, that there is just enough ability there to survive.(as long as Shanle doesn't have to make a tackle frequently)

tommie15
11/27/2006, 03:10 PM
:mad:
I think Shanle is more of a problem than the corners... I assume he's still playing, haven't watched a game in a bit.

Amen, Shanle has to be one of the worst safeties in the conference. I'm sure he tries hard, but he just doesn't have "it." Grixby has been playing very well lately and Jones has been ok. Neither ever have any help over the top from Green or Shanle, so I'm not sure how much you can blame them.

I'm sure OSUAggie remembers the play going into halftime in our game where Shanle decided to ole Bowman instead of touching him. That was an absolutley hideous display of safety play. He pulled the same crap against A&M and damn near cost us the game. :mad:

For the life of me I can't figure our why Culbert and Thenarse haven't played more. They sure as hell can't do any worse. :eek: :confused:

OSUAggie
11/27/2006, 03:12 PM
Donovan Woods < Andrew Shanle < Scott Shanle

Big Red Cop
11/27/2006, 03:41 PM
Scott Shanle

Better watch it, Scott is having a Pro Bowl type year for the Saints. He is the leading tackler for them. By far his best one of his career.

tommie15
11/27/2006, 04:05 PM
Better watch it, Scott is having a Pro Bowl type year for the Saints. He is the leading tackler for them. By far his best one of his career.

the hungry alligator eats the bigger portion

let's see if anyone can figure out what the hell I'm talking about!:D

Big Red Cop
11/27/2006, 04:12 PM
Defensive stats can be inflated when the defense plays alot of downs?? Am I close??

Or Andrew finally steps it up against the Sooners?

OSUAggie
11/27/2006, 04:15 PM
< = hungry alligator