PDA

View Full Version : Since so many people seem to have trouble with this:

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:37 PM
This is the rule, straight from the NCAA rulebook page FR-145

ARTICLE 3. Miscellaneous reviewable plays include:
a. A runner judged to have been not down by rule. (Note: If a runner is
ruled down, the play is not reviewable).

Soonermagik
11/26/2006, 02:41 PM
Yeah,we get it, but that's a stupid rule. Why even have a replay system with dumb stipulations?

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:43 PM
When a whistle blows, players are supposed to stop and start resetting for the next play. If this type of play were reviewable, you'd see a hell of a lot of hurt players.

Sooner_Havok
11/26/2006, 02:47 PM
When a whistle blows, players are supposed to stop and start resetting for the next play. If this type of play were reviewable, you'd see a hell of a lot of hurt players.

Then maybe they should wait to blow the whistle on plays like that. When a players foward progress has been stopped, then by all means blow your little whislte, but when it is a sneak or something like it when there is a pile of guys, wait and see. Plus it was my understanding that anything prior to the whistle could be reviewed. So if the ball came out prior to the whistle being blown...

Soonermagik
11/26/2006, 02:49 PM

What if they blow the whistle and there's still a lose ball??? Secondly, just because the ref blows the whistle doesn't mean he got the call right i.e See Oregon game ;). This is why we established a replay system. Why have a replay system with so many constraints that makes it ineffective??

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:51 PM
Then maybe they should wait to blow the whistle on plays like that. When a players foward progress has been stopped, then by all means blow your little whislte, but when it is a sneak or something like it when there is a pile of guys, wait and see. Plus it was my understanding that anything prior to the whistle could be reviewed. So if the ball came out prior to the whistle being blown...

The officials on the field were wrong to blow the whistle. I'm guessing the back judge or umpire blew it dead when it's the line judge's responsibility on that play-his are the eyes on the ball the whole play.

It doesn't matter if the whistle blew before or after the ball came out. Think about it logically-humans don't act instantaneously. The whistle indicates that the official is saying dead and that the runner was stopped with the ball in possession, whether it's rolling around on the ground or not.

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 02:54 PM
that's a good rule, basically it's saying you can't review a whistle being blown.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:55 PM
What if they blow the whistle and there's still a lose ball??? Secondly, just because the ref blows the whistle doesn't mean he got the call right i.e See Oregon game ;). This is why we established a replay system. Why have a replay system with so many constraints that makes it ineffective??

I agree that bad whistles happen.

However, once the whistle blows, players know the play is dead. It creates a very dangerous situation when some players on the field think the play is dead and others are attempting to recover a loose ball.

Sooner_Havok
11/26/2006, 02:55 PM

You know, I forgot about that completely. If a ball is lose and a whislte is blown, then it is like the fumble never happened since the play was ruled dead. Basically if a running back fumble the ball, a line backer picks it up and runs for the endzone, while the whistles are blowing the hole time, it can't be reviewed. Even if it was a bad no call on the fumble, the rest of the players stopped when they heard the whislte so you can't let the guy run for a touchdown while everyone else has stopped for the whistle. I'll be damned, but you are right Mike.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 03:02 PM
You know, I forgot about that completely. If a ball is lose and a whislte is blown, then it is like the fumble never happened since the play was ruled dead. Basically if a running back fumble the ball, a line backer picks it up and runs for the endzone, while the whistles are blowing the hole time, it can't be reviewed. Even if it was a bad no call on the fumble, the rest of the players stopped when they heard the whislte so you can't let the guy run for a touchdown while everyone else has stopped for the whistle. I'll be damned, but you are right Mike.

Thank you, sir. You've got it!

Believe it or not, that kind of makes my day. I try very hard to understand what the rules are and why officials work the way they do, and it's gratifying when I help someone grasp a somewhat-obscure point in the rules.

sanantoniosooner
11/26/2006, 03:03 PM
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/fathomn/th_6fc3836e.jpg

sanantoniosooner
11/26/2006, 03:04 PM

Believe it or not, that kind of makes my day. I try very hard to understand what the rules are and why officials work the way they do, and it's gratifying when I help someone grasp a somewhat-obscure point in the rules.
Mike you get some spek just for getting a convert.

I don't think I've ever seen it in the history of the internet.

Sooner_Havok
11/26/2006, 03:06 PM

I try my best to understand the rules too, I guess I let my crimson colored glasses get in the way of that one ;)