PDA

View Full Version : Metal Restoration knowledge possesors

royalfan5
11/26/2006, 01:55 PM
On thanksgiving, I found my Grandpa's old Mid-Am Dairyman sign. It's mostly rust covered, but I think is should be restoreable. What is the best way to remove all the rust from metal sign.

sanantoniosooner
11/26/2006, 02:06 PM
Is it surface rust that you can feel with your hand, or is it discoloration of the paint?

royalfan5
11/26/2006, 03:43 PM
Is it surface rust that you can feel with your hand, or is it discoloration of the paint?
Surface rust. Most of the paint is gone, you can just see the outline of his name and the Mid-Am Logo.

sanantoniosooner
11/26/2006, 04:02 PM
I would probably just attempt some very fine steel wool first and see how that goes.

Naval Jelley will dissolve it also, but I would check it on a small spot to see how the paint reacts.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 04:56 PM
Wow. sas, that was actually some really useful information.

I'm stunned.

;)

How about that stuff they advertise on TV-Kaboom!?

sanantoniosooner
11/26/2006, 04:57 PM
Wow. sas, that was actually some really useful information.

I'm stunned.

;)

How about that stuff they advertise on TV-Kaboom!?I always take home improvement/maintenance type questions serious.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 04:59 PM
Yeah? Well where the heck were you on Friday when my dishwasher was backing up?

Oh, yeah. I didn't ask about it on the forum.

(I figured out that you could open up that thing on the sink and clean it out.)

sanantoniosooner
11/26/2006, 05:12 PM
If you've got the clog out, fill the disposal with Ice and comet, or another abrasive cleaner. Run a trickle of warm water while operating the disposal until it is all washed down.

this will clean the disposal and even the waste line and even get rid of some stenchiness.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 05:15 PM
Hey, that's a good idea. Ice and Comet, eh?

I've got some tablets I bought that are supposed to do the same thing, but ice and comet are much cheaper.

proud gonzo
11/26/2006, 06:30 PM
Halley's or Hale-Bopp?