PDA

View Full Version : Rules question

Miko
11/26/2006, 12:30 PM
I realize that a defender touching on offensive player's facemask is a 5 or 15 yard penalty and that a runner is allowed to stiff-arm a would-be tackler.

But twice yesterday I saw state runners stiff-arm Sooner defenders with a hand to the facemask.

That's legal????

I've noticed that several times this year. Each time I scream at the television then am amazed that there is no flag.

Norman Sooner
11/26/2006, 12:33 PM
I am pretty sure you can stiff arm to the facemask, you just cant grab the defenders facemask when you stiff arm them...

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 12:42 PM
fyi, a useful link

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2006/2006_football_rules.pdf

gnostic19
11/26/2006, 12:46 PM
I am pretty sure you can stiff arm to the facemask, you just cant grab the defenders facemask when you stiff arm them...

believe is true.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 01:44 PM

That's pretty much it. They'll usually let you get away with a grab, even, so long as you don't jerk him around by the facemask. Blockers, however, cannot touch the facemask.

Sooner_Havok
11/26/2006, 03:03 PM
What about holding? Is that penalty called anymore? I saw A LOT of holding in the last couple of games, and the refs just seem to not care. It's not like they are just missing it against OU too, we have held on more than a few plays recently and didn't get flagged. I mean it is almost as if the refs have forgotten what a hold looks like. They stand there and watch it happen right in front of their eyes, and don't even flinch.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 03:12 PM
I expect holding to be made a point of emphasis next year. You're absolutely right-it's not getting called nearly as much as it should be.

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 03:21 PM
What about holding? Is that penalty called anymore? I saw A LOT of holding in the last couple of games, and the refs just seem to not care. It's not like they are just missing it against OU too, we have held on more than a few plays recently and didn't get flagged. I mean it is almost as if the refs have forgotten what a hold looks like. They stand there and watch it happen right in front of their eyes, and don't even flinch.
it's a given in the football world that it's not being called enough (unless you're a Mizzou fan), but I saw what I thought were definate holds by OSU not being called, especially on their last TD drive.

Also, what about the taunting?? I thought they let OSU get away with several unsportsman like taunts there on the last drive as well.

Sooner_Havok
11/26/2006, 03:22 PM
I expect holding to be made a point of emphasis next year. You're absolutely right-it's not getting called nearly as much as it should be.

And when they finally try to call it, it seems to be wrong too. (A la Mizzou getting a bogus holding call againist ISU)

Joe
11/26/2006, 03:32 PM
Also, what about the taunting?? I thought they let OSU get away with several unsportsman like taunts there on the last drive as well.

Pedigrew throwing the football at one of our players deserved an unsportsman-like. I was surprised it wasn't called too.

Common sense ref
11/26/2006, 03:33 PM
:pop: I am not an expert but I do officiate college ball at the D2 level. MOST of the time the Holding will not be called unless it's at the point of attack Meaning; If the QB takes off on a run or the RB and the defense is trying to get to them and Ususally jersey is pulling, then it should be called. Alot of times we will see holding but do not think it effects the play. There's more to officiating than one might think. It also has alot to do with the conference we work for and what our supervisor wants.

Sooner_Havok
11/26/2006, 03:36 PM
:pop: I am not an expert but I do officiate college ball at the D2 level. MOST of the time the Holding will not be called unless it's at the point of attack Meaning; If the QB takes off on a run or the RB and the defense is trying to get to them and Ususally jersey is pulling, then it should be called. Alot of times we will see holding but do not think it effects the play. There's more to officiating than one might think. It also has alot to do with the conference we work for and what our supervisor wants.

No, I agree that holding shouldn't be called if it doesn't affect the play, but these holds have been affecting plays, and they haven't been things that should go unnoticed (Look what Duke was doing to that aggot :D )

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 03:39 PM
very well put and that makes a lot of sense to let it play out if it doesn't have an affect on the play

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 03:41 PM

Absolutely true and your statements back up exactly what I hear from my acquaintances who officiate in both D-2 and D-1.