PDA

View Full Version : Wow! That was a cheap shot!

booomer
11/26/2006, 09:41 AM
I was shopping all day last Friday and didn't see any of the UT/aTm game and I never saw any video highlights until this morning.

If you didn't see it, here is the cheap shot on McCoy......what a stupid thing to do in such a close game......especially when they had Texas on the ropes! :rolleyes:

He should be ejected for the remainder of the season, not just the remainder of that game!

http://www.zippyvideos.com/6491251236334216/coltmccoy_2006/

stoopified
11/26/2006, 09:46 AM
Just about the dirtiest play I have ever witnessed.

mikee likee
11/26/2006, 09:54 AM
The result of the play was an interception. The defender looked back and saw the int. He turned to to block at this point, and his target was Mcoy. The endzone view shows it best.

OKC-SLC
11/26/2006, 09:57 AM
I have respect for McCoy; he's a gamer and a helluva redshirt freshman.

That was bull**** to do.

sooner518
11/26/2006, 10:12 AM
i havent seen the endzone shot of it. It really depends on the timing of the hit relative to the INT. if the play was still going on when the hit occurred, then I dont think it was a dirty hit. if it was over (which it kind of looks like since McCoy is taking his chinstrap off) then it was hella dirty.

trwxxa
11/26/2006, 10:15 AM
The clips are not from the same play. The first two show the interception and late hit by 91. That play got him ejected and I have yet to find a clip that shows how late the hit was, but obviously late enough to get him ejected.

The last two clips are from their final attempt at a drive and show the hit from 11 that sent Colt away on a cart.

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2006, 10:18 AM
he's faking the injury, he's a big puss

booomer
11/26/2006, 10:20 AM
The first one is the cheap shot......McCoy is clearly leaving he field as he is removing his chin strap when Heard decides to knock him down.....that shot got Heard ejected and rightly so.

The second one is the one that resulted in his being carted off the field.

achiro
11/26/2006, 10:33 AM
The first one is the cheap shot......McCoy is clearly leaving he field as he is removing his chin strap when Heard decides to knock him down.....that shot got Heard ejected and rightly so.

The second one is the one that resulted in his being carted off the field.
The problem is that mccoy is looking at the interceptee and sees him go down. The defender/blocker has his back turned and can't see the guy go down, he just saw the interception and turned to start blocking. Was it late? probably, but I don't think it was intentionally late/dirty and certainly haven't seen anything that makes me think it was.

usmc-sooner
11/26/2006, 10:37 AM
I thought it was a cheap shot Heard sawing him walking off the field taking off his chin strap.

JMO

Soonermagik
11/26/2006, 10:57 AM
Actually, Heard did the same thing to Nebraska's QB Zach Taylor a few weeks ago. After Heard's late hit it gave Nebraska the first down and contributed to their winning.

That guy is a dirty player and should be ejected for all of next season. He could really hurt someone with that nonsense.

Soonerus
11/26/2006, 11:19 AM
he's faking the injury, he's a big puss

confirmed now, he wasn't really hurt...pinched nerve in his pinky or something....

okienole3
11/26/2006, 11:30 AM
Remember that hit Dusty put on Chrissy?

Scott D
11/26/2006, 11:43 AM
The problem is that mccoy is looking at the interceptee and sees him go down. The defender/blocker has his back turned and can't see the guy go down, he just saw the interception and turned to start blocking. Was it late? probably, but I don't think it was intentionally late/dirty and certainly haven't seen anything that makes me think it was.

Problem is that when the interceptee went down, Heard was standing behind Kasey Studdard and the rest of the offensive line. He had to go over 5 yards in distance to hit McCoy, and by the time he started running AT McCoy, Dodge had already been tackled.

Soonerus
11/26/2006, 11:50 AM
1st hit resulting in ejection was clearly a cheap shot...

birddog
11/26/2006, 12:15 PM
Problem is that when the interceptee went down, Heard was standing behind Kasey Studdard and the rest of the offensive line. He had to go over 5 yards in distance to hit McCoy, and by the time he started running AT McCoy, brady quinn had just been sacked by usc.
fixed.

TUSooner
11/26/2006, 12:17 PM
The result of the play was an interception. The defender looked back and saw the int. He turned to to block at this point, and his target was Mcoy. The endzone view shows it best.
So let's see it. It sure seemed like the play was over, and he definitely hit him more from the back than the side.

KingDavid
11/26/2006, 12:33 PM
dirty dirty play. that dude is on a crash course with getting kicked off of his football team.

birddog
11/26/2006, 12:39 PM
So let's see it. It sure seemed like the play was over, and he definitely hit him more from the back than the side.
late or not, he singled mccoy out.

it's not cool to deck a guy as he's removing his chin strap AND looking away from you.

OUTrumpet
11/26/2006, 01:25 PM
Remember that hit Dusty put on Chrissy?

Yeah, and I also remember no matter how much trash we threw at him, he always came back for more it seemed like.

I remember watching that Texas at Nebraska game where he dislocated his middle finger on his throwing hand bad enough that it faced where a watch would be...he ran over to the sideline, popped it back into place, and tried to come in out that play, but they said since he got 'medical attention' he had to sit out for a minimum of 1.

Colt (now that people are hitting him) just seems to be a wimp.

Widescreen
11/26/2006, 01:33 PM
It looks like the 2nd hit should've been flagged too. Looks like he led with the crown of his helmet.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/26/2006, 04:10 PM
Actually it was against Colorado when he dislocated his finger(if he actually did) At that point Colorado was up like 3 TD's(And the Buffalos had at least 2 of their TD's gift wrapped by Chrissy INT's) Mack was too cowardly to put in Applewhite over his 5 Star big time recruit so they had to have an excuse where it didn't look like he was pulling Chrissy for being a screwup. And as for McCoy being a wimp.....are you serious. The first hit would have put 99% of this board in the hospital for two weeks and the second one would have put 100% of us on a cart(now that Stanley1 is gone anyway)

Sooner_Havok
11/26/2006, 04:17 PM
It looks like the 2nd hit should've been flagged too. Looks like he led with the crown of his helmet.

HAHAHA! The big XII cares not for enforcing silly rules like no leading with your helmet! Why, when they lead with their helemts, it makes for a more impressive hit for the viewers at home! Player safety, bah! Kelly and McCoy had it coming!

Jason White's Third Knee
11/26/2006, 04:34 PM
Actually it was against Colorado when he dislocated his finger(if he actually did) At that point Colorado was up like 3 TD's(And the Buffalos had at least 2 of their TD's gift wrapped by Chrissy INT's) Mack was too cowardly to put in Applewhite over his 5 Star big time recruit so they had to have an excuse where it didn't look like he was pulling Chrissy for being a screwup. And as for McCoy being a wimp.....are you serious. The first hit would have put 99% of this board in the hospital for two weeks and the second one would have put 100% of us on a cart(now that Stanley1 is gone anyway)

I don't know. I am pretty sure that most of the guys on this board way around 300lbs. Maybe not a good 300lbs, but still hard to move.

ruf/nekdad
11/26/2006, 04:54 PM
250, thank you very much

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/26/2006, 05:38 PM
Very true...most of us couldn't jump to throw a ball ;)

Collier11
11/26/2006, 05:57 PM
While I dont agree with the cheap shot, it is possible that A&m decided that if they were going to win, they had to intimidate and pound Mccoy and it was a conscious decision to go after him??

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2006, 05:59 PM
for those that dont think it was a cheap shot....put PT in the picture doing the same thing as McCoy.....unbuckling his chin strap

its real easy to see imo

BaronVonAggie
11/26/2006, 06:11 PM
Heard didnt get the late hit on the Nebraska QB that was someone else.

Heards more dumb than anything, he probably has been coached to block the QB on an INT and is too dumb to not hit someone walking off the field taking his chinstrap off.

As far as the second hit I wouldnt doubt it if it was a little revenge. Heard rumors from people who know players that they felt TU players were trying to injure Martellus Bennett(didnt play most of the game). Also TU's players were chop blocking unnecessarily the whole game.

That ticked the players off and so I wouldnt doubt that if TU had played cleaner they may not have levelled McCoy late.

shavedmarmoset
11/26/2006, 06:28 PM
This reminds me of the time that some player for Oklahoma A&M punched the other team's black QB in the face back in '51 or something.

I don't know what year it was and I wouldn't be born for another 30 years or so but still, dirtiest play I've ever seen (saw the sequence of photos in a book).

bri
11/26/2006, 06:54 PM
dirty dirty play. that dude is on a crash course with getting kicked off of his football team.

Or being named captian for his "intense, inspirational play". We ARE talking about Fran-cho-knee, after all.

Scott D
11/26/2006, 10:14 PM
yeah that was Thornton who had the late hit on Zac Taylor.

badger
11/26/2006, 10:32 PM
it was terrible. ban him from a&m bowl game, and give him until next season to think about it... unless he's a senior (is he?), in which case, he's done!!!!

terrible.

Scott D
11/26/2006, 10:34 PM
it was terrible. ban him from a&m bowl game, and give him until next season to think about it... unless he's a senior (is he?), in which case, he's done!!!!

terrible.

Kellen Heard is a Freshman :)

freshchris05
11/26/2006, 10:45 PM
This reminds me of the time that some player for Oklahoma A&M punched the other team's black QB in the face back in '51 or something.

I don't know what year it was and I wouldn't be born for another 30 years or so but still, dirtiest play I've ever seen (saw the sequence of photos in a book).

That was Johnny Bright a Drake QB... he was owning the pukes or were they the tigers then? i dunno who cares, anyway, he was owning the pukes and so the coach called for the kill the (insert n bomb here) play over and over again and they broke his jaw... but the aggies did show some class and apologized for it 55 years later...

SCOUT
11/26/2006, 10:48 PM
I was not able to see the game. I have heard about this play at length here and on the radio. Unfortunately, college football broadcasts insist on only showing one or two players at a time. While we may be able to see the sweat on Colt's face, we have no idea what was happening in the rest of the play.

Was Colt leaving the field before the play was done? If he was, then he should have been paying more attention. If the play was over, then the A&M player should be suspended for the season.

P.S. If anyone has contacts within the network broadcast teams, please inform them that I am interested in the whole game and not just one player per play. The zoom lens is not always the right choice. Thanks.

MamaMia
11/27/2006, 04:02 AM
I'll never forget the ankle twist on Kejuan Jones.

sooner_born_1960
11/27/2006, 07:57 AM
It really does matter if the play was over or not. I haven't seen a replay that shows both the hit on mccoy and the end of the play.

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2006, 08:22 AM
It reminds me of Warren Sapp unloading on that Olineman from Green Bay a few years back.

Even if you somehow make a case that it's a clean hit, and I can't, it's still a horrible example to just trying to intentionally hurt somebody simply because the opportunity presents itself.

The second hit was a good clean shot. The first hit was headhunting.

sooner_born_1960
11/27/2006, 08:25 AM
The first hit was headhunting.
Or blocking. Like I said, it depends.

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2006, 08:43 AM
Or blocking. Like I said, it depends.
yeah, it depends.

If you hate UT so much you can't think coherently then it was blocking.

Otherwise it was a cheap shot.

What is amazingly apparent is that we wouldn't be having this conversation if we didn't benefit from the result, or didn't have a vested interest in UT's misery.

This is one of the most transparent discussions I've ever seen on this board.

TexasLidig8r
11/27/2006, 10:13 AM
The first hit... McCoy is approximately 15 - 20 yards away from the ball carrier. He is down. aggy defensive player takes a couple of strides and levels him. Play was over, the players were letting up.. saw a few aggy going toward their sideline. The ref on the spot saw it, knew it was egregious and called the play accordingly.

The second hit, I believe was simply a hard hit. No flag. Did he lead with the crown of his helmet? Maybe. But, it's not like he took 3 strides and then launched himself.

RedstickSooner
11/27/2006, 10:15 AM
Yo, Sanantonioooo... Is it okay if we hate UT so much we can't think coherently *and* we think it was a cheap shot? :D

The rules need to be ammended to deal with change-of-posession plays like that -- a defenseless player who believes he is out of the play should not be fair game.

fwsooner22
11/27/2006, 10:22 AM
The first hit... McCoy is approximately 15 - 20 yards away from the ball carrier. He is down. aggy defensive player takes a couple of strides and levels him. Play was over, the players were letting up.. saw a few aggy going toward their sideline. The ref on the spot saw it, knew it was egregious and called the play accordingly.

The second hit, I believe was simply a hard hit. No flag. Did he lead with the crown of his helmet? Maybe. But, it's not like he took 3 strides and then launched himself.

You saw it exactly the way I did TL8r......There was nothing wrong with hit #2......Although, they need to change some rules and protect the QB the way the NFL does......Hit #1?....That guy needs to be Done.............or done to.....

bluedogok
11/27/2006, 10:40 AM
I saw a new replay from the end zone on the KEYE-42 Sunday sports show last night and it was definitely late, you could see the aTm player go down and McCoy let up and then BOOM. It looked real bad from that angle since you could see the entire end of the play. Someone may have posted it up somewhere.

sooner_born_1960
11/27/2006, 11:06 AM
These past few post were the first I've seen confirming the play was actually over. In that case, the penalty was justified, just like any other late hit.

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2006, 11:09 AM
These past few post were the first I've seen confirming the play was actually over. In that case, the penalty was justified, just like any other late hit.
If you didn't see it yourself, why were you so persistent in debating it?

Texas Golfer
11/27/2006, 12:28 PM
Heard didnt get the late hit on the Nebraska QB that was someone else.

Heards more dumb than anything, he probably has been coached to block the QB on an INT and is too dumb to not hit someone walking off the field taking his chinstrap off.

As far as the second hit I wouldnt doubt it if it was a little revenge. Heard rumors from people who know players that they felt TU players were trying to injure Martellus Bennett(didnt play most of the game). Also TU's players were chop blocking unnecessarily the whole game.

That ticked the players off and so I wouldnt doubt that if TU had played cleaner they may not have levelled McCoy late.

There is no excuse for Heard's action. Either the second hit was clean one which we all are trying to agree that it was or it was a revenge hit which you are saying (which I don't understand why you would) in which it, too, was uncalled for.

sooner_born_1960
11/27/2006, 12:42 PM
If you didn't see it yourself, why were you so persistent in debating it?
I did see the play myself. I just didn't see anything that showed that the play was over. I'm just taking Lid and bluedogok's word for it now.

achiro
11/27/2006, 12:52 PM
I saw a new replay from the end zone on the KEYE-42 Sunday sports show last night and it was definitely late, you could see the aTm player go down and McCoy let up and then BOOM. It looked real bad from that angle since you could see the entire end of the play. Someone may have posted it up somewhere.
I still haven't seen an angle that shows that heard could have known that his player was already down for sure. Sure the whistle may have blown but how many plays do we see continue on for a few seconds after the whistle.
I'd like to see the angle you are talking about.

bluedogok
11/27/2006, 01:10 PM
I think it was the local CBS Station camera crew shooting from the end zone, I never saw this replay before last night and it clearly showed both the interceptor going down and then the hit late. Not hearing the whistle is not a valid excuse for what he did, it looked like everyone else on the field heard or saw that the play was over.

I was watching OTA at the time so it was not on my DVR. I have not seen the clip on the KEYE-TV (http://www.keyetv.com/) website.

jk the sooner fan
11/27/2006, 01:15 PM
the fact that Heard was WALKING....turned and saw McCoy unbuckling his chin strap........and then earholed him

jeezus, what more evidence do you need

again, if that had been Paul Thompson on the ground, you wouldnt be questioning that

sooner_born_1960
11/27/2006, 01:19 PM
JK, whether the play was over IS the only real question here. If the play was over, Heard is guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct. If the play wasn't over, McCoy is guilty of diddling with his chinstrap when he should have been playing football.

bluedogok
11/27/2006, 01:20 PM
^^^ I have yet to understand what people gain by sticking up for an aggie, a cheap shot is a cheap shot no matter who does it, it is as simple as that.

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2006, 01:28 PM
I realize that we've been screwed by officials at times.

But it seems just silly that we are simply ignoring that the player was ejected for the cheap shot.

The ref says it was a cheap shot. A very large number of people agree with the refs call.

I'm not sure what anyone has to gain by disputing it or why it's worth debating in the first place.

achiro
11/27/2006, 02:09 PM
I realize that we've been screwed by officials at times.

But it seems just silly that we are simply ignoring that the player was ejected for the cheap shot.

The ref says it was a cheap shot. A very large number of people agree with the refs call.

I'm not sure what anyone has to gain by disputing it or why it's worth debating in the first place.
Because honestly there is a difference between a late hit and a cheap shot, or calling someone dirty. Thats it. I'm not even really debating it just not judging until I see a better angle that shows me that he should have known the play was over. From the description from Bluedog it sounds like that clip may be the one to see.

jk the sooner fan
11/27/2006, 02:12 PM
if you INTENTIONALLY hit somebody late, i'm thinking its a cheap shot

bri
11/27/2006, 02:15 PM
It's nice to see the spirit of gdc lives on in the next generation of bloodthirsty, Texas-hating goons who abandon all notions of "right" or "wrong" when UT (or even the state of Texas as a whole) is involved.

Partial Qualifier
11/27/2006, 02:24 PM
It's nice to see the spirit of gdc lives on in the next generation of bloodthirsty, Texas-hating goons who abandon all notions of "right" or "wrong" when UT (or even the state of Texas as a whole) is involved.

DOUBLE UPSIDE-DOWN HOOK'EMS ON MAH VEHICLE, AND I AIN'T TAKIN' 'EM OFF!!!

I'M A BIG FAN OF THE UNIVERSITY OF I HATE TEXAS!!

Sooner_Bob
11/27/2006, 02:27 PM
Did anyone ever find a replay that showed exactly how late it was?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/27/2006, 02:29 PM
my problem with the second hit is that we've lost QBs because of shots just like it. nate hybl vs kstate 2001 anyone?

as for the first hit, its just typical of defensive tackles. not sure if its all the conditioning to kill the QB or what, but we've had both tommie and dusty do it.

sooner_born_1960
11/27/2006, 02:31 PM
Did anyone ever find a replay that showed exactly how late it was?
Don't you get it? You hate everything Texas if you would like to see for yourself if it was a late hit.

BoonesFarmSooner
11/27/2006, 02:33 PM
The ref on the spot saw it, knew it was egregious and called the play accordingly.

egregious??? Ahahahahaha, you give the officials way too much credit there, Webster!

That second hit was legit and Bennett should have drop-kicked that 14 year old looking, non-Stridex using, great lakes swimming rescuer after the play was over...

;)

C&CDean
11/27/2006, 02:38 PM
Alright already. Geez.

I did not see the first play. I did not see the second play. I listened on the radio while cutting wood.

My thoughts: Dude should be ejected for the cheap shot on the first play. HOWEVER, Colt McCoy needs to be much smarter than he was - especially when playing your bitter rival who hasn't beaten you since Bennie Owen had two good arms. Hello? It's a football game. Anybody remember the cheap body slam one of the eATMe D-lineman gave our RB during the 77-0 deep anal cleansing?

Removing your chinstrap/helmet anywhere between the white lines is simply stupid. Doing it - and not paying attention to the goober ags around you while doing it is semi-indefensible. I'll bet ol' Colt has his head on a swivel next T+1.

Jello Biafra
11/27/2006, 05:38 PM
for my post, some of you will gasp in horror, others will just gasp but, ive been the frustrated d tackle who didn't get a good solid shot on a qb..........

his actions were calculated, wreckless and wrong....... (FU lid, im not taking your side :) )

i hate texas more than GDC but this time, i have to call for the youngsters ship :) if you allow that kinda sheite to happen, the next time someones QB will get jim mcmahoned and expect to get away with it.

achiro
11/27/2006, 06:48 PM
i hate texas more than GDC but this time, i have to call for the youngsters ship :) if you allow that kinda sheite to happen, the next time someones QB will get jim mcmahoned and expect to get away with it.
Oh, I agree you have to make that call. I just am not sure that calling him dirty or a cheap shot is correct. I still don't know if he was just going for a block or not. :texan:

sanantoniosooner
11/27/2006, 06:53 PM
A real doctor wouldn't have such reservations.

;)

achiro
11/27/2006, 07:09 PM
A real doctor wouldn't have such reservations.

;)
Now THAT is a dirty cheap shot!:D

OUstud
11/27/2006, 07:11 PM
From Amir Blumenfield's weekly Top 25 on collegehumor.com:

19. Texas - Longhorns were headed for a BCS bowl before finishing the season with back to back losses against unranked opponents. In related news, I'm pretty sure Colt McCoy is either dead or dying.

Jello Biafra
11/27/2006, 07:13 PM
From Amir Blumenfield's weekly Top 25 on collegehumor.com:

19. Texas - Longhorns were headed for a BCS bowl before finishing the season with back to back losses against unranked opponents. In related news, I'm pretty sure Colt McCoy is either dead or dying.

roflmao.......

he did look like he had his feet up in the stirups finishing up his hysterectomy

pru24
12/4/2006, 12:11 PM
If Cart were a man and stepped into his throws, Bennett would have hit him in the gut....

http://www.gigafiles.co.uk/files/521/hit.gif
http://www.gigafiles.co.uk/files/521/hit.gif