PDA

View Full Version : Chris Brown and technique

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:03 AM
Something I've noticed about our current stable of running backs:

Chris Brown has the best technique of any of them.

AD is, of course, the most physically gifted. His size, power, and speed are unmatched.

Chris Brown, however, does a lot of things REALLY well, especially for a freshman. Great body lean, gets his knees up, maintains good pressure points on the ball, blocks well in pass pro. Moreover, something that's REALLY unusual for a freshman-he's very patient. He does a great job of using his blocks and finding holes.

Edit: This is not to say that AD and AOC don't have good technique. They both do. I just think that from a technique standpoint alone, Brown has the little things down.

tbl
11/26/2006, 02:10 AM
I disagree (sort of). I think AP has the best technique of any of them. The guy has really quick feet and he is great at spotting a hole. AD is just a beast that pummels guys. I like Brown, but I thought he was a little muddy compared to AP. Maybe I'm wrong... ;)

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:11 AM
AOC does have quick feet, but I don't see the same patience out of him nor do I see the same ball protection.

All_Day_28
11/26/2006, 02:14 AM
Something I've noticed about our current stable of running backs:

Chris Brown has the best technique of any of them.

AD is, of course, the most physically gifted. His size, power, and speed are unmatched.

Chris Brown, however, does a lot of things REALLY well, especially for a freshman. Great body lean, gets his knees up, maintains good pressure points on the ball, blocks well in pass pro. Moreover, something that's REALLY unusual for a freshman-he's very patient. He does a great job of using his blocks and finding holes.

Edit: This is not to say that AD and AOC don't have good technique. They both do. I just think that from a technique standpoint alone, Brown has the little things down.
I agree.. For Chris Brown to be a Freshman, his patience is unmatched "pound for pound"

gnostic19
11/26/2006, 02:15 AM
Have a good point or two there. He is a "natural", it seems. Not sure how you gauge "pressure points" on the ball, though. Must be coach speak. Good lookin' kid, irregardless. With Demarco and AP (He's back, rt?) we look good for the future. Just depends on who the heck is handing the ball to them.

gnostic19
11/26/2006, 02:16 AM
AOC does have quick feet, but I don't see the same patience out of him nor do I see the same ball protection.

Also, you can't compare Brown to AD now. You have to look at AD when he too was a frosh.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/26/2006, 02:19 AM
i think the biggest problem with patrick and peterson is patience waiting for the hole to develop. its why we've started going to more of these quick hitters inside whereas they are more comfortable letting brown feel the hole on an outside handoff. from a talent perspective, patrick and peterson have extra gears that most running backs don't have. however, that isn't necessary to be an effective running back.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:21 AM
Have a good point or two there. He is a "natural", it seems. Not sure how you gauge "pressure points" on the ball, though. Must be coach speak. Good lookin' kid, irregardless. With Demarco and AP (He's back, rt?) we look good for the future. Just depends on who the heck is handing the ball to them.

Pressure points=carrying the ball correctly cradled instead of away from your body.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:22 AM
i think the biggest problem with patrick and peterson is patience waiting for the hole to develop. its why we've started going to more of these quick hitters inside whereas they are more comfortable letting brown feel the hole on an outside handoff. from a talent perspective, patrick and peterson have extra gears that most running backs don't have. however, that isn't necessary to be an effective running back.

Brown seems to do really well on those counter tosses as well.

gnostic19
11/26/2006, 02:31 AM
Brown seems to do really well on those counter tosses as well.
AD had some success with that play in a particular game against UT...say two years ago.:D

landrun
11/26/2006, 07:15 AM
AP is better on the 'up the middle for a long touchdown' play though. :)

Why doesn't Wilson call that touchdown play more!!??? :)

swardboy
11/26/2006, 07:30 AM
Yes, I commented to my wife yesterday on one of Chris's runs that I didn't think any of our other backs had the abililty to read and maneuver through the line like he did.

RacerX
11/26/2006, 08:09 AM
Also, you can't compare Brown to AD now. You have to look at AD when he too was a frosh.

No you don't. With Cale as a coach they don't change much from frosh to junior.

TripleOption14
11/26/2006, 08:33 AM
I gotta disagree a little. I actually think UPS takes to long to make a decision on hitting the hole. There have been many times where i felt that he danced around in the back field to long.

Of course AD is the best but that guy is a freak of nature. You don't get backs like every year. He is a once in every 15 years or so type back.

AP I feel is the best at making a decision quickly. That guy sees the hole and he hits it quickly. To me this is what you want. It seems to me that one can be too patient at times. See the hole and hit the hole. That long run AP had yesterday was a perfect example of that. If you get to the hole and through the hole quickly a lot of times its for big yards.

Next year is looking good at the RB position gentlemen! :D Does anyone foresee a Ronnie Brown and Caddy Williams situation at OU. :D It will definitely be a RB by committee i think next year.

Jackal
11/26/2006, 08:38 AM
Chris Brown looked like a different back against OSU, in his first start it appeared he was just hitting the hole called. Now he seems to be seeing the field and cut back lanes, perhaps a couple of live games brung that out of him.

I got half a hope Adrian Petersen returns next year, but if not I am not as worried now. We just need a super-freshman QB to take over the reigns of a team that should be quite complete.

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2006, 08:43 AM
of the three, i think Patrick gets to the hole quicker than any of them.....i'm no expert on RB technique, so i have no comment on that

David Earl
11/26/2006, 09:19 AM
Brown's pass blocking isn't consistent, IMHO. That's to be expected for a true freshman.

stoopified
11/26/2006, 09:22 AM
No you don't. With Cale as a coach they don't change much from frosh to junior.Be nice.Way to go UPS,Brown DELIVERS.

usmc-sooner
11/26/2006, 09:32 AM
Brown's running style reminds me somewhat of Emmitt Smith.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/26/2006, 10:05 AM
My only hope is that if we get AD back that we limit him to maximum 15 carries. Also that they get Patrick and Brown 5 to 10 carries a piece as well, preferably get Patrick 15 to 20, Brown 10 to 15 and Peterson 5 to 10 in my opinion

PalmBeachSooner
11/26/2006, 11:28 AM
Whether AD comes back next year or moves onto the NFL I really hope he learns to avoid unnecessary contact. His aggressive style just isn't going to hold up in the long run.

I do like Brown a lot and AP.

AzianSooner
11/26/2006, 11:29 AM
To be honest, I think Chris Brown runs great. In fact, if he and AP back next year, the QB will have an easy time.

Sorry Paul T that you have to go.