PDA

View Full Version : How do the Sooners match up with the huskers?

achiro
11/25/2006, 09:42 PM
I've not seen the bugeaters much this season but it seemed they continued to improve as time went on. I know they lost to the pokes but comparing schedules rarely works.
I know their qb has some decent numbers. Anyway, thoughts?

BermudaSooner
11/25/2006, 09:46 PM
I think they are a lot like us. A good running game, a servicable QB who can pass when he needs to, and a solid D.

Should be a good game.

Oh, and they also fumble to Texas at the worst times.

jk the sooner fan
11/25/2006, 09:50 PM
wonder what the opening line will be on this game

royalfan5
11/25/2006, 09:52 PM
Callahan loves to bust out trick plays, and for the most part they have worked extremely well. e.g. Taylor walking away like he was going to take a time out, then direct snapping it to the running back. Also, anytime NU lines up for a FG beyond 40 yards it's a fake or a pooch punts, CU couldn't figure that out, even when we didn't send a kicker out for the FG attempt.

royalfan5
11/25/2006, 09:52 PM
wonder what the opening line will be on this game
I heard OU is a 6 point favorite to open.

Crimsontothecore
11/25/2006, 09:53 PM
This may be a bit presumptuous, but I think we've played 3 other Big12 teams who are better.

StoopTroup
11/25/2006, 09:54 PM
Callahan loves to bust out trick plays, and for the most part they have worked extremely well. e.g. Taylor walking away like he was going to take a time out, then direct snapping it to the running back. Also, anytime NU lines up for a FG beyond 40 yards it's a fake or a pooch punts, CU couldn't figure that out, even when we didn't send a kicker out for the FG attempt.
Post Reported ;)

StoopTroup
11/25/2006, 09:56 PM
The Huskers have improved during the year...

It should be a good game.

OU by 2.5 IMO

We should drop the AD bomb on them in the 1st qtr though.

franklinjake
11/25/2006, 10:27 PM
HA HA, atleast have AD dressed for the game to scare the holy crap outta them!

franklinjake
11/25/2006, 10:35 PM
The Nebraska secondary isn't the best. If we come out ouf the gates like we did the 2nd half against Tech, we will get a big early jump on them, because they will come out expecting us to pound the ball. If we stop playing conservative ball, I seriously see us winning big. If we play like we have all year by doing nothing after getting ahead 10-14 points, then it will by a very close game today. I say kick 'em when they are down and make a statement while bringin' the Big 12 Championship home to Norman!

Agressive OU Game
OU - 41
Nebraska - 14

Unagressive OU Game
OU-24
Nebraska - 21

BoomerSooner247
11/25/2006, 11:35 PM
The Nebraska secondary isn't the best. If we come out ouf the gates like we did the 2nd half against Tech, we will get a big early jump on them, because they will come out expecting us to pound the ball. If we stop playing conservative ball, I seriously see us winning big. If we play like we have all year by doing nothing after getting ahead 10-14 points, then it will by a very close game today. I say kick 'em when they are down and make a statement while bringin' the Big 12 Championship home to Norman!

Agressive OU Game
OU - 41
Nebraska - 14

Unagressive OU Game
OU-24
Nebraska - 21i think we'll play mid with a 2 TD lead with good D so:
Mid-Agressive OU Game
OU - 35
Nebraska - 17

garland sooner
11/26/2006, 12:58 AM
what do you mean by aggressive? with the way that OU has called the last few games... it seems like 60 rush/40 pass is aggressive.

gnostic19
11/26/2006, 02:09 AM
This may be a bit presumptuous, but I think we've played 3 other Big12 teams who are better.

TX, A&M and who else?

BoomerSooner247
11/26/2006, 02:30 AM
TX, A&M and who else?um well OSU beat them so maybe thats the 3rd :confused:

hack
11/26/2006, 05:54 AM
Callahan loves to bust out trick plays, and for the most part they have worked extremely well.

to a point. but then, they were playing CU.

trick plays on puffs is like shaking hands with a mildly retarded person with a joybuzzer and then following it up with the "say, there's something on your shirt" routine: it might make you laugh, but you'll feel guilty about it later.

Rocker
11/26/2006, 07:11 AM
WE WIN!

royalfan5
11/26/2006, 09:15 AM
to a point. but then, they were playing CU.

trick plays on puffs is like shaking hands with a mildly retarded person with a joybuzzer and then following it up with the "say, there's something on your shirt" routine: it might make you laugh, but you'll feel guilty about it later.
They worked against KU, KSU, Texas, Missouri, and TAMU too. And you guys last year.

soonernation
11/26/2006, 10:15 AM
I heard OU is a 6 point favorite to open.

Thats what Pinnacle_Sports (http://www58.pinnaclesports.com/vwGuestLines.asp?redirected=yes&sportType=Football&sportSubType=NCAA&descr=NCAA) has it at.

Sat 12/2 135 Nebraska +6 -105 OVER 46 -105
05:00 PM 136 Oklahoma -6 -105 UNDER 46 -105

Al Kasik Sooner
11/26/2006, 10:16 AM

:D

Intentionally Left Blank
11/26/2006, 11:07 AM
In reality, NU has been playing very well to end the season. Callablake has been running the ball alot this season. However he does not enjoy the running game and he will give up on the run if there is no early success. Hell, he will give up on it even if there is early success. See the OSU game where I believe B. Jackson had 180 yards at halftime. The real fun will be to watch Nebraska's d-line v. OU's o-line. The strength of the NU defense is their line. If OU can control them they will control the game. NU's linebackers are slow and beat up from a lack of depth. Their secondary is small and also not the fastest. Kelly could have a big day. Shanle (safety) often misses tackles and can't lay the big hit.

On offense, Taylor is one of the toughest players I have seen in a while. He can take the big hit and shows alot of heart. I think the NU offense feeds from his toughness. Brandon jackson is a power back that has average speed. He is a tough runner ala A. Patrick. Their best receiver is Purify and he is a bonafide talent. NU likes to look downfield for him.

As royal pointed out earlier NU has no kicker. He cannot even get the ball to the goaline on the kick-off with a 15 mph wind at his back. NU will go for everything from the 35 to the 20 yardline.

I personally hope AD is healthy for this game. He has a good track record of coming off of injury and playing well against Nebrasaka.

Stop the run and pressure Taylor with the front four and the sooners will win by 10-14 points.

Blitzkrieg
11/26/2006, 01:27 PM
On defense, their front 7 is pretty good at jamming up the line, but they are average at tackling in the open field. Good DEs, as good as Texas. LBs are good not great, secondary is good not great. Special teams are good.

Offensively, they are solid at running but they won't run on us, because no one does. This game will be much like the one we just played agaisnt aggie, or like the Ou/NU game last year where Ou builds a 14 point lead, then fends out a frantic passing attack. the sooner Callahan goes away from play action and just spreads the field and passes, the better off they'll be.

Our one weakness on either side of the ball is our pass rush. If we can get a better pass rush, we can win this without it being such a close shave.

OU 27 NU 24.

Cam
11/26/2006, 08:56 PM
the sooner Callahan goes away from play action and just spreads the field and passes, the better off they'll be.
My fear is that he'll get smart and start out this way.

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 09:11 PM
If OU shuts down the run it'll be an easy win because even though NU has a good pass game it depends heavily on a successful run game. And I think Callahan pulled out the stops on the trick plays vs CU in order to make OU honest on D.

bri
11/26/2006, 09:34 PM
My break-down of the match-ups...

When Nebraska has the ball:
Look for the Huskers to come out with 11 players, who will line up in some sort of formation. The Sooners will counter with 11 players on the other side of the ball, in a formation of their own designed to foil the Nebraska plan, not unlike meddling hippies at a haunted amusement park.

When OU has the ball:
The Sooners may take a page out of the NU book on offense, bringing out our own version of the 11-man formation. Undaunted by our brazen attempt at idea theft, Nebraska will answer by adapting OUR "11 men standing across from the ball, ready to tackle" plan.

At least, that's how I see it breaking down.

OUTrumpet
11/26/2006, 09:54 PM
what do you mean by aggressive? with the way that OU has called the last few games... it seems like 60 rush/40 pass is aggressive.

When we bust out the more than 3 yards and a cloud of dust that's 'aggressive'

bixby28
11/26/2006, 09:56 PM
i think we'll burn Nebraska if we can get strong pressure on Taylor all day. He is not a scrambler like B. REid.

Shut down Taylor's protection in the pocket and we'll win easily.

yur-out
11/26/2006, 10:09 PM
Thats what Pinnacle_Sports (http://www58.pinnaclesports.com/vwGuestLines.asp?redirected=yes&sportType=Football&sportSubType=NCAA&descr=NCAA) has it at.

Sat 12/2 135 Nebraska +6 -105 OVER 46 -105
05:00 PM 136 Oklahoma -6 -105 UNDER 46 -105

Vegas _Insider.com (http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/2/?s=781) has it about 3.5