PDA

View Full Version : was it just me or did anyone else see the ball come out on that 2nd OSU TD?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/25/2006, 07:35 PM
that x-mo or whatever it was showed it pretty clearly.

also, i'd like to point out that teams are at a huge disadvantage with fox for protesting calls. they take FOREVER to get a review up on the screen.

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2006, 07:36 PM
I was hollering about it at the bar.

On the other hand, I thought we got a bit of a gift on the other goal line fumble.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/25/2006, 07:36 PM
and of course, i mean the play before the naked boot

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/25/2006, 07:37 PM
is it reviewable to challenge a "player was down call"?

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2006, 07:37 PM
Nope. If the whistle blew, the play is over.

Remember Reggie's fumble against UAB that wasn't reviewable?

KingDavid
11/25/2006, 07:38 PM
is it reviewable to challenge a "player was down call"?

cannot review a play that's been called dead/down by contact. total rip off. i was screaming my head off.

King Crimson
11/25/2006, 07:41 PM

also, i'd like to point out that teams are at a huge disadvantage with fox for protesting calls. they take FOREVER to get a review up on the screen.

i couldn't really tell, but several people in the game thread (with TIVO) were saying it came out.

Soonerus
11/25/2006, 07:41 PM
I was hoping it would be reviewed because it was clearly a fumble recovered by Birdine.....

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2006, 07:42 PM
i couldn't really tell, but several people in the game thread (with TIVO) were saying it came out.

It came out, but the whistle blew it dead.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/25/2006, 07:43 PM
i'll tell you what, that x-mo guy had some great shots today. on that patrick 65 yards run, duke got away with some steer wrasslin'...

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2006, 07:44 PM
Yes. Yes he did.

We got some pretty large gifts from the zebras today. I ain't complaining, but anyone who watches that game and thinks that OU was getting hosed just ain't watching it evenly.

King Crimson
11/25/2006, 07:48 PM
i'll tell you what, that x-mo guy had some great shots today. on that patrick 65 yards run, duke got away with some steer wrasslin'...

you mean that helmet tackle by Duke....

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2006, 07:50 PM
Wow. At 11:35 in the second, Reid takes a freakin' SHOT from Birdine.

bri
11/25/2006, 08:00 PM
The table full of aggy sitting behind me at the Brook was in mortal peril after that blown call and resultant touchdown...:mad:

JohnnyMack
11/25/2006, 08:02 PM
The table full of aggy sitting behind me at the Brook was in mortal peril after that blown call and resultant touchdown...:mad:

I told you not to have peppers on your nachos.

http://www.proki.org/images/m95d.jpg

boomersooner28
11/25/2006, 08:28 PM
Saw it....replayed it....Birdine came out with the football.

BermudaSooner
11/25/2006, 08:49 PM
On the other hand, I thought we got a bit of a gift on the other goal line fumble.

How so? He didn't get in--that was clear. Do you think the ball was over and in control by the QB? Not even close.

bri
11/25/2006, 08:53 PM
My favorite thing about the 4th down fumble was that on one of the replays, the FSN monkeys froze the picture right as the ball was breaking the plane of the goal line, and the aggy table behind me was yelling and whooping because they thought they'd scored...then they rolled the rest of the play and you could tell that the ball was actually coming out of his hands before it got over the plane, and they fell silent.

Silent aggy...one of my very favorite things.

Oh, and for the record, I've ALREADY had an aggy friend tell me that today's game didn't matter because they can kick our asses at rasslin' any time, any where. :rolleyes:

ousoonerfan
11/25/2006, 08:55 PM
On the first kickoff, our defender got blocked in the back right after the return guy caught the ball. Did anyone else see that or am I dreaming?

stoopified
11/25/2006, 08:59 PM
YOU CAN BET THEY ARE CRYING ABOUT THE REFS IN STOOLWATER.

garland sooner
11/25/2006, 09:30 PM
ok. so when the ball came out of reid's hands on fourth down, if osu recovered it... it would not have been a touchdown anyway because a team can't advance a fumble on fourth down, right? or am i making this up?

bri
11/25/2006, 09:34 PM
That would be correct. "Holy Roller" rule.

Their only chance was for replay to show that he'd broken the plane before he got lit up like a Christmas tree...

soonerjace
11/25/2006, 09:34 PM

I saw it and could not believe it was never brought up

BermudaSooner
11/25/2006, 09:44 PM
I saw it and could not believe it was never brought up

Yep. I was explaining it to my 1 year old, who didn't seem to get it--just like the announcers.

garland sooner
11/25/2006, 10:01 PM
was there a specific game that kind of made the rules committee change it to its current form?

Jerk
11/25/2006, 10:20 PM
On the first kickoff, our defender got blocked in the back right after the return guy caught the ball. Did anyone else see that or am I dreaming?

No, you're not dreaming, and no, you're not the only one who saw it.

franklinjake
11/25/2006, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I saw the ball fall out - I couldnt believe the announcers didn't say anything, and then I couldn't believe that is wasn't reviewd, especially when a Sooner came out of the pile with the ball.

bri
11/25/2006, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I saw the ball fall out - I couldnt believe the announcers didn't say anything, and then I couldn't believe that is wasn't reviewd, especially when a Sooner came out of the pile with the ball.

I just assumed that if they reviewed it, they'd award the ball to Oregon.

Jerk
11/25/2006, 10:26 PM
"... especially when a Sooner came out of the pile with the ball.

For some reason this doesn't necessarily mean our possession.

GreenSooner
11/25/2006, 10:35 PM
was there a specific game that kind of made the rules committee change it to its current form?
The NFL adopted its "Holy Roller" rule following the infamous "Holy Roller" play (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roller_%28American_football%29#Reaction) (hence the rule name): on September 10, 1978, the Raiders beat the Chargers on a play during which Kenny Stabler fumbled the ball as he was being sacked on the Chargers' 24 yardline on the last play of the game with the Raiders down by six. Stabler fumbled the ball forward, Pete Banaszak pushed it further on the 12. Finally, Dave Caspar kicked it and batted it the rest of the way to the endzone before falling on it.

Shortly after this play, the NFL made doing this illegal. A few years later, the NCAA followed suit.

franklinjake
11/25/2006, 10:39 PM
For some reason this doesn't necessarily mean our possession.

I didn't mean it was our posession, I just meant that if the other team comes out with the ball, youmight wanna check real quick if the ball ever came out. Just saying it was a clue for the booth officials to take a quick look.

I just figured Oklahoma State flew in Gordon Riese as a replacement in the replay booth, as they stuffed the original official in the closet.

franklinjake
11/25/2006, 10:41 PM
I just assumed that if they reviewed it, they'd award the ball to Oregon.
Yeah, Gordon Riese back in the booth........ BASTARD

SpiderInMyPeanuts
11/25/2006, 10:41 PM
whistle blew it dead? the RB was still in mid jump, I'm not sure the whistle was blown when the ball game out.

Dio
11/25/2006, 10:46 PM

Where have you been this season?

Norm In Norman
11/25/2006, 11:13 PM
AH! I was saying the same thing and everyone else I was with acted like I was an idiot or something.

josh09
11/25/2006, 11:25 PM

I SAW IT! i was so ****ed off. the retarded announcers didnt even say a word about it.

critical_phil
11/25/2006, 11:30 PM
Silent aggy...one of my very favorite things.

trick post.

there is no such thing.

Vaevictis
11/25/2006, 11:40 PM
heh, yeah, I saw it. They showed the reverse angle, and I said,

"Hey, wait a second. Was that the ball coming out?"

*tivorewindslowmotion*

"Yeah, the ball came out. Okay, who came out of the pile with it?"

*tivofastforwardslowmotion*

"Hey, that's Birdine with the ball. Okay, was he in a position to recover it during the play?"

*tivorewindslowmotion*

"Yep, that's Birdine looking like he landed on the ball."

I can't get all that ****ed at the refs on that one. It's conceivable -- and understandable -- that the refs on the field missed that. It sucks, but it's not highway robbery like Oregon was.

bri
11/25/2006, 11:53 PM
trick post.

there is no such thing.

You'd think that, but I saw the impossible made possible today. It was GLORIOUS. :D

RacerX
11/26/2006, 12:21 AM
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/605/2006ouosuxhuhwithscribbru5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

My 4 year old draws better than I do. The circle is around the ball. The "line" is under the RB's legs.

Clearly it's Oregon's ball (spek to bri).

RacerX
11/26/2006, 12:27 AM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5759/2006ouosuxhuh2withscribvy4.jpg

Then in typical aggie fashion, the OSUx RB is signaling TD (look no ball). Birdine is like "Hey, check this out".

RacerX
11/26/2006, 08:12 AM
bump

jk the sooner fan
11/26/2006, 08:20 AM
i too saw the fumble....am i the only one that gets really uneasy when plays are reviewed upstairs? since Oregon, i now get this "we're going to get hosed" feeling.....after that goal line play yesterday, i thought for sure the replay official was going to find some way to say the ball crossed the plane of the end zone

Fox sucks......it normally seems like plays are reviewed after replays are shown on plays that warrant it.....fox seemed to gloss over quite a bit yesterday

TopDawg
11/26/2006, 10:46 AM
whistle blew it dead? the RB was still in mid jump, I'm not sure the whistle was blown when the ball game out.

But it was blown before the ball was recovered. Well, that's the way it'll be explained anyway.

jdsooner
11/26/2006, 10:48 AM
It was a FUMBLE!

IronSooner
11/26/2006, 11:28 AM
Then in typical aggie fashion, the OSUx RB is signaling TD (look no ball). Birdine is like "Hey, check this out".

And just like at Oregon, I was wondering what exactly the refs were expecting to find at the bottom of that pile.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 01:49 PM
But it was blown before the ball was recovered. Well, that's the way it'll be explained anyway.

Quite possibly because that's the correct explanation.

tulsaoilerfan
11/26/2006, 02:02 PM
But did they blow the whistle? That ball was clearly out before he came close to hitting the ground, so chalk up another blow call against us this year.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:08 PM
Yes, they blew the whistle on the play.

Once an official blows the whistle and signals possession (either by indicating direction or by signaling the down), there's no discussion, there's no replay, there's nothing.

Yes, it was a bad whistle, and I guarantee that the refs will look at that one in film. The line judge in particular should have been watching the ball to see it come out, but the back judge or umpire may have blown the whistle before he could get the beanbag out.

We got a couple of pretty generous calls in this one as well, like Duke trying to take home a trophy on Patrick's TD.

Sooner_Havok
11/26/2006, 02:12 PM
I waited until after they scored and went to commercial, but then a rewinded and saw just as the picture here shows, he fumbled the ball. They didn't blow the whistle until after he dropped it. We should have challanged this one, but then again over turning on field officials may have angered them at us.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:13 PM
I waited until after they scored and went to commercial, but then a rewinded and saw just as the picture here shows, he fumbled the ball. They didn't blow the whistle until after he dropped it. We should have challanged this one, but then again over turning on field officials may have angered them at us.

IT'S NOT A REVIEWABLE PLAY!

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 02:22 PM
IT'S NOT A REVIEWABLE PLAY!
whether a player fumbled or not IS reviewable, so yes it was a reviewable play. Unfortunately no one on the field or in the booth other than the OU player who recovered it, saw it, at least in time to ask for a review.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:29 PM
*sigh*

I'll use small words and type slowly.

Once the whistle blows and possession is signaled with no ruling of a fumble on the field, it is not reviewable.

If a fumble is signaled on the field, it is reviewable.

No fumble was signaled on the field. Thus, not reviewable.

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 02:34 PM
*sigh*

I'll use small words and type slowly.

Once the whistle blows and possession is signaled with no ruling of a fumble on the field, it is not reviewable.

If a fumble is signaled on the field, it is reviewable.

No fumble was signaled on the field. Thus, not reviewable.
The replay official could have awarded OU possession IF they saw the fumble AND the OU recovery on the replay, whether or not there was a ruling of a fumble on the field.

OKC-SLC
11/26/2006, 02:36 PM
give up Froz.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:38 PM
The replay official could have awarded OU possession IF they saw the fumble AND the OU recovery on the replay, whether or not there was a ruling of a fumble on the field.

No, they cannot.

ARTICLE 3. Miscellaneous reviewable plays include:
a. A runner judged to have been not down by rule. (Note: If a runner is
ruled down, the play is not reviewable).

I am right. You are wrong. There it is in plain English.

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 02:38 PM
give up Froz.
yeah, doesn't matter anyway. OU won

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:40 PM
give up Froz.

I probably should.

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 02:44 PM
that rule is NOT talking about a fumble and a whistle being blown, but whether a runner is ruled down. If a runner is ruled down but keeps going, that is not reviewable. That's all that rule is talking about.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:45 PM
You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

If a player is ruled down, then there is no fumble. A whistle means the player is down.

I can't believe I have to explain this to someone who's ever watched a football game.

fossil
11/26/2006, 02:47 PM
I saw it, and was wondering why the hell nobody else saw it. It was right there in the open, and Ray Charles could have seen that one.

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 02:49 PM
what IS reviewable is if a player fumbled BEFORE he was ruled down. and that's what happened. and IF the replay official saw the fumble AND the OU recovery on the replay he could have awarded OU possession.

To say it differently, Stoops could have requested a review by saying the player fumbled BEFORE he was ruled down, and IF the replay official saw the fumble AND the OU recovery on the replay he could have awarded OU possession

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 02:52 PM
I know exactly what I'm talking about, and the rule you quote is talking about the review of a player being ruled down and NOT a player fumbling

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 02:59 PM
I'm sorry, man. I don't think I can state it more clearly. You don't get what "down" means. Whether the whistle blew before the ball came out or not, the whistle was blown indicating that the runner was down. A runner who is ruled down cannot fumble the football. It doesn't matter when the whistle sounded-what matters is that the official said the play was dead before the ball came out even if the signal came after the ball was out.

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 03:07 PM
I'm sorry, man. I don't think I can state it more clearly. You just don't get the difference between "down" and "fumble" and that the rule you posted had to do with one and not the other.

IF the whistle blew, it would have negated the possibility of a review. I'm just stating that the rule you quoted had nothing to do with this play.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 03:11 PM
Do you realize how stupid you look arguing that whether a player is ruled down has nothing to do with a fumble?

Are you wearing a clown wig right now?

tulsaOUfan
11/26/2006, 03:14 PM
and the name calling begins. desparation signs of someone who knows they've been bested.

All I'm saying is that the rule you quoted had nothing to do with the reviewability of a fumble, just the reviewability of a whistle being blown.

see ya 'round

Sooner_Havok
11/26/2006, 03:15 PM
Mike is right. If a ball is lose and a whislte is blown, then it is like the fumble never happened since the play was ruled dead. Basically if a running back fumbles the ball and a line backer picks it up and runs for the endzone while whistles are blowing the hole time, it can't be reviewed. Even if it was a bad no call on the fumble, the rest of the players stopped when they heard the whislte so you can't let the guy run for a touchdown while everyone else has stopped for the whistle. Same principals apply here. Even if it was a bad no call on the fumble (which it was) since the whistle was blown and players who may not have known the ball was loose stopped because of the whistle, the play cannot be reviewed.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 03:22 PM
Name calling? Your argument is silly. I'm wondering if your intent is to amuse-hence, wondering if you're wearing a clown wig. Heck, running around with a trick flower would be a better argument than any you've made.

A player who is ruled down cannot fumble. A player being ruled down cannot be reviewed. The two rules are intimately and necessarily linked.

Tell you what, though: I give you permission to go through life not understanding what "down" and "fumble" mean and why a player who is "down" cannot "fumble" the ball even if the ball comes loose.

Get something through your head, though: the whistle always sounds somewhat after a player is actually ruled to be down. Even ignoring the theory of general relativity, it should be relatively obvious why.

FaninAma
11/26/2006, 03:28 PM
Mike Rich, you're the one looking like an idiot for getting upset. If the play had been reviewed there is an excellent chance OU would have been awarded the ball because neither the replay official nor the refs on the field have any idea when the whistle was blown in relationship to the occurence of the fumble. There is no way that the refs would have overturned the review booth if they had declared it was a fumble and OU recoverd.

And yes, I realize the lame replay official might have decided that the play had already been blown dead but there is no way he could know that for certain. You arguing that the replay official could have known when the play was blown dead without detailed audio to go along with the video is lame.

Plus, I disagree the play had been blown dead at the time the fumble occured since it happened on the RB's initial leap. If the whistle was blown on the play then it would have had to have been blown right after the handoff which I doubt it was.

OKC-SLC
11/26/2006, 03:29 PM
Mike is right, dude.

Joe
11/26/2006, 03:29 PM
They changed the ruling in the NFL for this year. Maybe that's where some of the confusion is coming from.

snp
11/26/2006, 03:31 PM

Yup. I was mad that they didn't call tripping on one of Thompson's last runs, but we won so I'm okay with the officials this time.

OKC-SLC
11/26/2006, 03:32 PM
Fan, I do know that they use audio when reviewing plays sometimes. I don't know if that's a luxury they have all the time, however.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 03:38 PM
Mike Rich, you're the one looking like an idiot for getting upset. If the play had been reviewed there is an excellent chance OU would have been awarded the ball because neither the replay official nor the refs on the field have any idea when the whistle was blown in relationship to the occurence of the fumble. There is no way that the refs would have overturned the review booth if they had declared it was a fumble and OU recoverd.

And yes, I realize the lame replay official might have decided that the play had already been blown dead but there is no way he could know that for certain. You arguing that the replay official could have known when the play was blown dead without detailed audio to go along with the video is lame.

Plus, I disagree the play had been blown dead at the time the fumble occured since it happened on the RB's initial leap. If the whistle was blown on the play then it would have had to have been blown right after the handoff which I doubt it was.

Sorry, man, but you're not reading what was written.

The replay booth couldn't even look at it. Once the official on the field says the ballcarrier was down, the replay booth cannot overturn it and rule that a fumble took place.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 03:39 PM
Yup. I was mad that they didn't call tripping on one of Thompson's last runs, but we won so I'm okay with the officials this time.

The tripping call was a bad no-call.

FaninAma
11/26/2006, 03:39 PM
Mike is right, dude.

He may be right, dude. But he doesn't have to be a jerk about it, dude.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 03:40 PM
He may be right, dude. But he doesn't have to be a jerk about it, dude.

Dude, there's only so many times that I can explain it civilly and clearly, dude, before I start using sarcasm to penetrate willful ignorance.

FaninAma
11/26/2006, 03:44 PM
Sorry, man, but you're not reading what was written.

The replay booth couldn't even look at it. Once the official on the field says the ballcarrier was down, the replay booth cannot overturn it and rule that a fumble took place.

Don't they look at every play? If they do then the question becomes when did the whistle blow. Now if it's not correct that these lame *** officials aren't looking at every play then the rule is a sham because tht is the way I keep hearing the replay policy being interpretted.

And if Stoops had issued a challenge it would have been reviewed and I'd like to see th little worm in the replay booth put on the hot seat and see him and the officials on the field squirm out of the correct ruling.

It probably doesn't matter anyway. Wilson probably calls three straight running plays anyway and OU punts from their on 1 yard line or OSU ends up getting a safety.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 03:50 PM
Fan, it doesn't matter when the whistle blew on a possession play. What matters is that it blew at all. If it blows with no fumble being signaled on the field, then no fumble happened regardless of what we saw plain as day on TV.

Sure, the replay booth looked at the play. All they were looking at was the spot of the ball-by rule, they couldn't have been looking at anything else.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/26/2006, 03:50 PM
I couldn't believe it. OU ball. No question.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 03:52 PM
I couldn't believe it. OU ball. No question.

Bad call on the field, no doubt.

FaninAma
11/26/2006, 03:53 PM
It appears that there are just a bunch of rank amateurs both on the field and in the replay booth. Do these guys evel lose their jobs once they make it to this level without pulling a Gordon Riese type mistake? And even he didn't lose his job...just a one day suspension.

jwlynn64
11/26/2006, 03:54 PM
ok. so when the ball came out of reid's hands on fourth down, if osu recovered it... it would not have been a touchdown anyway because a team can't advance a fumble on fourth down, right? or am i making this up?

Not true. You're thinking of the Dave Casper rule in the NFL. College does not have that rule.

OKC-SLC
11/26/2006, 03:55 PM
Don't they look at every play? If they do then the question becomes when did the whistle blow. Now if it's not correct that these lame *** officials aren't looking at every play then the rule is a sham because tht is the way I keep hearing the replay policy being interpretted.

And if Stoops had issued a challenge it would have been reviewed and I'd like to see th little worm in the replay booth put on the hot seat and see him and the officials on the field squirm out of the correct ruling.

It probably doesn't matter anyway. Wilson probably calls three straight running plays anyway and OU punts from their on 1 yard line or OSU ends up getting a safety.
Fan, first of all 'mike is right, dude' wasn't directed toward you--you typed your post as i mine. Otherwise it would have said, 'mike is right, chica' or something incredibly clever like that. (insert winky thing here to indicate that we're cool)

The issue with replay is that the replay officials are restricted with what they can review. Among other things, they are unable to review possible fumbles that occur after the play is over, i.e. blown dead by officials. Otherwise, as Mike alluded to, there would be all kinds of mayhem at the end of every play as players tried to make something happen then declare that there should be a review.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 03:56 PM
Not true. You're thinking of the Dave Casper rule in the NFL. College does not have that rule.

College does have this rule. NCAA rulebook, page FR-99

2. When on fourth down, before a change of team possession, a Team
A fumble is caught in advance of the fumble by a Team A player
other than the fumbler, the ball is dead and returned to the spot of
the fumble. If the fumble is caught behind the spot of the fumble by
a Team A player other than the Team A fumbler, the ball is dead at
that spot.

OKC-SLC
11/26/2006, 03:57 PM
It appears that there are just a bunch of rank amateurs both on the field and in the replay booth.
And it seems worse this year than I have ever seen. And not just because of the Oregon cluster.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 03:58 PM
Fan, first of all 'mike is right, dude' wasn't directed toward you--you typed your post as i mine. Otherwise it would have said, 'mike is right, chica' or something incredibly clever like that. (insert winky thing here to indicate that we're cool)

The issue with replay is that the replay officials are restricted with what they can review. Among other things, they are unable to review possible fumbles that occur after the play is over, i.e. blown dead by officials. Otherwise, as Mike alluded to, there would be all kinds of mayhem at the end of every play as players tried to make something happen then declare that there should be a review.

Thank you. The spirit of crankiness has entered me today and I'm apparently unable to make points coherently. As the rule is pretty easy to understand, the blame falls on me for being unable to explain it well.

OKC-SLC
11/26/2006, 03:59 PM
The spirit of crankiness has entered me today
Just that time of the month, dude.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 04:00 PM
I have been spotting a lot lately.

Norm In Norman
11/26/2006, 10:01 PM
Hey froz, I'm confused. So what happens when the replay official looks at the play after the whistle has blown but a fumble wasn't signaled again?

Oh - and here is one: what if one official blows the whistle THEN another one throws the bean bag signifying that there is a fumble. There would be no review, right?

And finally, what if the ball is fumbled, the beanbag is thrown, the whistle is blown and nobody touches the ball because the whistle has blown and the play is over. Could they review who didn't touch the ball?

I'll take my answers off the air.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/26/2006, 10:16 PM
and what happens if a ref tries to blow his whistle, but swallows it and starts choking on it. is the play dead? or just the ref?

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 10:28 PM
Hey froz, I'm confused. So what happens when the replay official looks at the play after the whistle has blown but a fumble wasn't signaled again?

Oh - and here is one: what if one official blows the whistle THEN another one throws the bean bag signifying that there is a fumble. There would be no review, right?

And finally, what if the ball is fumbled, the beanbag is thrown, the whistle is blown and nobody touches the ball because the whistle has blown and the play is over. Could they review who didn't touch the ball?

I'll take my answers off the air.
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon15.gif

:D

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 10:30 PM
and what happens if a ref tries to blow his whistle, but swallows it and starts choking on it. is the play dead? or just the ref?

By rule, this is Oregon's ball. Clearly. Sheesh.

FaninAma
11/26/2006, 10:40 PM

Sorry about the misunderstanding and sorry about my tone in the earlier posts on this thread. I would like to say that being on call 7 of the last 10 days has made me a little cranky...because it has. :O

And I guess I, like all Sooner fans, am a little uptight and defensive about calls that go against OU after the past two years. If somehow osu had punched the ball in one more time then the Sooners are looking at the 3rd game we have lost thanks in large part to officiating mistakes, albeit this game wouldn't have been quite as outrageous as the Oregon or even the TT game.

OKC-SLC
11/26/2006, 11:48 PM
And I guess I, like all Sooner fans, am a little uptight and defensive about calls that go against OU after the past two years. If somehow osu had punched the ball in one more time then the Sooners are looking at the 3rd game we have lost thanks in large part to officiating mistakes, albeit this game wouldn't have been quite as outrageous as the Oregon or even the TT game.
word.

GrapevineSooner
11/27/2006, 12:16 AM
The official has to make a decision to blow the whistle before he can actually blow his whistle.

It's not a hard concept to understand if you just let your brain do the work.

TopDawg
11/27/2006, 01:17 AM
College does have this rule. NCAA rulebook, page FR-99

It happened in the 2000 Big XII title game when KSU's punter fumbled while advancing a poor snap and another Wildcat picked it up and ran for a first down. Refs brought it back and gave us the ball at the spot of the fumble.

So it is STILL a good thing we recovered, because if OSU had recovered, we'd've gotten the ball on the goalline.

Thanks for takin up the fight where I left off, Froz. Sorry to leave ya hangin. You're more patient than I am anyway, though.

On a side note, I can't really blame the refs for "blowing" that call. I don't really see any way they COULD have gotten that call right.

Frozen Sooner
11/27/2006, 01:42 AM
It happened in the 2000 Big XII title game when KSU's punter fumbled while advancing a poor snap and another Wildcat picked it up and ran for a first down. Refs brought it back and gave us the ball at the spot of the fumble.

So it is STILL a good thing we recovered, because if OSU had recovered, we'd've gotten the ball on the goalline.

Thanks for takin up the fight where I left off, Froz. Sorry to leave ya hangin. You're more patient than I am anyway, though.

On a side note, I can't really blame the refs for "blowing" that call. I don't really see any way they COULD have gotten that call right.

No worries. I'm cranky from lack of sleep today, so I probably came off WAY more annoyed than I actually was, then figured that it'd probably be worth getting the actual rule under its own thread so that people who couldn't be bothered to read this whole thread wouldn't keep jumping in and getting all fired up at the replay booth. When I started that thread, the snark came gyring and gimbaling out, became a boojum, and then things got really weird.

I do think the refs on the field should have gotten the call correct, but it's very possible that the line judge was screened from the play and didn't see the ball out.

booomer
11/27/2006, 08:18 PM
It was definitely a fumble and I'm surprised that there wasn't a review since OU came up with the ball.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/9522171246342266/fumble/

Frozen Sooner
11/27/2006, 08:31 PM
The play can't be reviewed. I agree that it was definitely a fumble, and if I recall correctly the whistle even sounded after the ball came out. It doesn't matter-if the whistle sounds without an indication of a fumble, then the runner was down by rule and the offense maintains possession. There is no review that can overturn this.

proudsoonergal
11/27/2006, 11:05 PM
What? You can't review if it was a fumble? ;)

(Froz - thanks for your patience in explaining the calls)