PDA

View Full Version : Computer help please...

Tiptonsooner
11/25/2006, 07:06 PM
My daughters computer is hooked up with cable int. service, it shows to be communicating with the modem. I can't access the internet though, it gives a pop up saying invalid IP. I am completely lost when dealing with this, I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2006, 07:10 PM
Yell at it.

Tiptonsooner
11/25/2006, 07:16 PM
That was the first thing I tried hours ago.

Howzit
11/25/2006, 07:40 PM
Have you powered down the modem, powered back up and rebooted the PC?

OUinFLA
11/25/2006, 07:50 PM
is rebooting the same as kicking it again?
I'd think it would respond better to just being yelled at, like Sic suggested.

Tiptonsooner
11/25/2006, 08:06 PM
Have you powered down the modem, powered back up and rebooted the PC?

That is about the extent of what I've done. I wouldn't have a clue from there, though.:confused:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/25/2006, 08:17 PM
windows key - r

type cmd

type ipconfig

if it shows an ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

then type ipconfig /renew

BajaOklahoma
11/25/2006, 08:27 PM
Periodically you may have to "power cycle" the system. I have no clue why, but the ISp will have you do it.
Turn off the computer, unplug the power cord on the router (if you have one) and unplug the power cord for the modem. Wait a full minute before plugging in the modem. After the lights come back up, plug in the router (if you have one). When the lights are up on it, turn on the computer.
For whatever reason, it seems to reset the system.

OUinFLA
11/25/2006, 08:52 PM
Periodically you may have to "power cycle" the system. I have no clue why, but the ISp will have you do it.
Turn off the computer, unplug the power cord on the router (if you have one) and unplug the power cord for the modem. Wait a full minute before plugging in the modem. After the lights come back up, plug in the router (if you have one). When the lights are up on it, turn on the computer.
For whatever reason, it seems to reset the system.

then close your eyes, click your heels three times and repeat,
there's no place like home,
there's no place like......

and poof all will be well.

BajaOklahoma
11/25/2006, 08:57 PM

:P

49r
11/25/2006, 09:38 PM
:les: GET A MAC!!!

GottaHavePride
11/25/2006, 11:10 PM
windows key - r

type cmd

type ipconfig

alternately, go to Start button -> Settings -> Network connections.

Right-click on the active network connection, and click "repair".

Zbird
11/26/2006, 02:38 PM

You forgot to say that you have to be wearing red shoes. :D

Mixer!
11/26/2006, 08:21 PM
:les: GET A MACK!!!

:mack:

Tiptonsooner
11/26/2006, 08:49 PM
windows key - r

type cmd

type ipconfig

What if it shows no ip #'s when I do this? I did it on my computer and it gave the IP #'s. It showed nothing with hers.

I've tried the network config then clicked on repair, it says unable to repair??

Thanks

orangekaje
11/26/2006, 08:51 PM
Start > Right-click My Computer > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager button.

See any yellow icons with ? or ! in them?

OCUDad
11/26/2006, 08:55 PM
Try Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> New Connection Wizard. It might find a way out of this for you. Maybe.

yermom
11/26/2006, 09:28 PM
What if it shows no ip #'s when I do this? I did it on my computer and it gave the IP #'s. It showed nothing with hers.

I've tried the network config then clicked on repair, it says unable to repair??

Thanks

in line with the hardware manager question... in the ipconfig results what adapters does it show?

how is it actually connected hardwarewise? both of you are connected at the same time? with a router or a switch, or what?

Tiptonsooner
11/26/2006, 10:14 PM
in line with the hardware manager question... in the ipconfig results what adapters does it show?

how is it actually connected hardwarewise? both of you are connected at the same time? with a router or a switch, or what?

IP config results, it shows no adapter. When I type type ipconfig, it shows
C:\Documents and settings\holloway>. That is it.

My comp is through a linksys wireless router, hers is straight to the router with a Motorola modem.

yermom
11/26/2006, 10:20 PM
ok, it should say something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\yermom>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

C:\Documents and Settings\yermom>

if you don't have an ethernet adapter that would be the problem... was it working before?

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 10:22 PM
If it hasn't worked before, have you made sure that her computer is configured for LAN access and that it automatically discovers DNS settings?

Tiptonsooner
11/26/2006, 10:23 PM
Yes, it was working until a couple of days ago.

I hate messing with this ****, I'm so ignorant with this crap.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2006, 10:24 PM
OK, follow yermom's advice. He knows all kinds of crazy network voodoo.

GottaHavePride
11/26/2006, 10:49 PM
It's possible her ethernet card jut bit the dust. I had that problem with a former roommate - one day his card just crapped out.

Tiptonsooner
11/26/2006, 10:50 PM
It's possible her ethernet card jut bit the dust. I had that problem with a former roommate - one day his card just crapped out.

That sounds very plausible...

GottaHavePride
11/26/2006, 10:57 PM
Hmmm. Are the computers near each other? Wait, you said yours is wireless. Nevermind. I was going to suggest plugging her ethernet cable into your compute to see if the problem is in her card and not the router or modem.

yermom
11/26/2006, 11:01 PM
you might just try taking the card out and reseating it, or putting it in another slot... assuming it's a PCI card or similar

if it's integrated, not so much, but it could be under warranty with the motherboard

you might try finding it in the device manager and reinstall the drivers, or remove it and reboot

OUTromBoNado
11/27/2006, 12:29 AM
Go to Start->Run....type cmd...that at the prompt type "format c:"

Oh, come on! This thread is two pages and nobody posted this yet? You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

OUinFLA
11/27/2006, 10:38 AM
man, if he does that, you two dont want to show up at a tailgate at the same time.
:D

OUTromBoNado
11/27/2006, 02:45 PM
Like I said, this thread was up to two pages before anybody posted that. The SO is slipping. Must be the holiday season.