PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have...

MiccoMacey
11/24/2006, 09:47 PM
a video of the Heard hit on McCoy?

I only ask because we couldn't tell here at the fire station if the play was over or not, and there are tons of Longhorn fans saying it was a cheap shot.

Please to help please.

blackbeauty02
11/24/2006, 09:49 PM
Texas fans are gonna say it was a cheap shot. A late hit...maybe? But the guy didn't go in to just hurt him. He left his feet as he threw the ball and you can't stop yourself. Colt's just a big puss. He shouldn't have been playing obviously if he gets hit again and another stinger. He was still hurting from last week, physically, mentally and emotionally.

MiccoMacey
11/24/2006, 09:50 PM
Texas fans are gonna say it was a cheap shot. A late hit...maybe? But the guy didn't go in to just hurt him. He left his feet as he threw the ball and you can't stop yourself.

That's the Bennett hit. I was talking about the hit on the interception.

Soonerus
11/24/2006, 09:50 PM
Texas fans are gonna say it was a cheap shot. A late hit...maybe? But the guy didn't go in to just hurt him. He left his feet as he threw the ball and you can't stop yourself. Colt's just a big puss. He shouldn't have been playing obviously if he gets hit again and another stinger. He was still hurting from last week, physically, mentally and emotionally.

You have assessed it pretty accurately...

sooner518
11/24/2006, 09:53 PM
That's the Bennett hit. I was talking about the hit on the interception.
i dont think they ever showed the replay showing the hit and the tackle being made at the end of the play. therefore, you couldnt tell if it was late or not

MiccoMacey
11/24/2006, 10:00 PM
i dont think they ever showed the replay showing the hit and the tackle being made at the end of the play. therefore, you couldnt tell if it was late or not

That's kind of my point. I can't tell if it was a late hit or not.

And history shows that refs will call a hit to the QB after an interception, even though it's legal (see Derrick Strait's interception and Dusty's subsequent hit on Simms in 2002).

I'd just like to confirm or deny whether it was late or not.

And no offense, I don't think I can take the word of many Longhorns just because they want it to be late.

TheLadiesMike
11/24/2006, 10:01 PM

I think I remember the replay (from the end zone behind McCoy) showing Colt move off the screen as he threw the pass and then Heard come across the screen towards him.

Soonerus
11/24/2006, 10:04 PM
I have seen a replay, it did not look late to me, although it could be argued it was in the grey area...

GottaHavePride
11/24/2006, 10:16 PM
We're talking about the second hit? Not the one that got the Aggie ejected? The first hit was CLEARLY late and a cheap shot. McCoy had had time to walk off and uinstrap his chin strap before getting hit on the first.

The second one? Close call but looked like the defender was already committed to the hit before McCoy got the ball away. The guy didn't look like he was out to intentionally hit McCoy, but he didn't look like he could stop, either.

Flagstaffsooner
11/24/2006, 10:20 PM

spek

Soonerus
11/24/2006, 10:23 PM
The second one? Close call but looked like the defender was already committed to the hit before McCoy got the ball away. The guy didn't look like he was out to intentionally hit McCoy, but he didn't look like he could stop, either.

I agree...

Tulsa_Fireman
11/24/2006, 10:38 PM
Okay, hang on. Again, help a brother out because I didn't catch the game.

The FIRST hit was the oskey, right? The second being the one that took him out?

Helmet unbuckled or not, was the ball still live when McCoy got lit up?

soonerbrat
11/24/2006, 10:40 PM
No, the ball was not live. he threw the interception, the play was called dead, he started jogging off the field and some a&m player ran up and blindsided him...you didn't see it in the play, it was after, and they showed it in replays.

Sooner_Bob
11/24/2006, 10:40 PM
We're talking about the second hit? Not the one that got the Aggie ejected? The first hit was CLEARLY late and a cheap shot. McCoy had had time to walk off and uinstrap his chin strap before getting hit on the first.

The angle I saw there was no way to tell if the whistle had been blown or if the play was over . . . from Colt's reaction I would think he thought it was and I guess since the dude got ejected so did the officials.

Sooner_Bob
11/24/2006, 10:41 PM
No, the ball was not live. he threw the interception, the play was called dead, he started jogging off the field and some a&m player ran up and blindsided him...you didn't see it in the play, it was after, and they showed it in replays.

How could you tell if the ball was called dead? The only replay I saw was of the actual hit and not the play as a whole.

soonerbrat
11/24/2006, 10:47 PM
i don't think he would've been walking off the field if the ball was still live AND the referee called it 'dead ball foul - after the play'

the kid who did it was ejected from the game and had to leave the field.

bluedogok
11/24/2006, 10:55 PM
I think the ejection hit was late and the aTm player got the call because McCoy had relaxed and started unbuckling his helmet, the player with the pick went down pretty quick so that is why it seemed late and not a legal down field block. It was late, post possession and ejection seemed like the correct call.

The hit that he went out on was a clean shot, no hands or helmet to helmet but a shot right on the shoulder area of where his previous stinger was, the whiplash effect of his head hitting the ground is what probably knocked him out of the game.

Scott D
11/24/2006, 10:55 PM
It should be pointed out that McCoy also likely suffered the concussion on the cheap shot by #91, not on the hit by Michael Bennett.

The first one was in fact late, #91 was the only Aggie heading in that direction, the rest were heading to Dodge. McCoy was heading off the field. Regardless, you really don't go earholing people when you are 'blocking' on an interception.

McCoy shouldn't have come back in for that next series, so someone on the Texas sideline didn't do their job in making suer that the elevator was hitting the top floor before sending him out that last series. He was in no condition to be throwing the ball, and those passes he threw before getting carted off showed it.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/24/2006, 11:05 PM
Regardless, you really don't go earholing people when you are 'blocking' on an interception.

Since when, Scotty?

That's a freebie, right there. Granted, a late hit is a late hit, but if the ball is live? After an interception? You bet your pants you go lookin' for an earhole. He's a potential tackler and no longer has the benefit of the passer protection rules around him. You find him, you lower your hat, and you stick one in his chest. It's like Christmas morning. You get a pick AND you get to smoke the QB's chili.

Is it worth a late hit? Hell no. That's just crappy. But if it ain't late, he's gettin' teed up. That's simply a no brainer from a defensive perspective.

FaninAma
11/24/2006, 11:07 PM
They were both cheap shots. The first clearly was. The second was of the type that the KSU team under Snyder used to specialize in....lead with the crown of the helmet and come up into the QB's chin and the Big 12 seems OK with that type of crap and allowed it over and over again in the Big 12 CCG in 03 against Jason White.

PhxSooner
11/24/2006, 11:12 PM
I know that the last hit was hard and under the chin, but why the board and cart and everything? Was it because of his previous injury? I've seen qb's leave pretty shook up after a hit like that, but not many immobilized.

Scott D
11/24/2006, 11:13 PM
Since when, Scotty?

That's a freebie, right there. Granted, a late hit is a late hit, but if the ball is live? After an interception? You bet your pants you go lookin' for an earhole. He's a potential tackler and no longer has the benefit of the passer protection rules around him. You find him, you lower your hat, and you stick one in his chest. It's like Christmas morning. You get a pick AND you get to smoke the QB's chili.

Is it worth a late hit? Hell no. That's just crappy. But if it ain't late, he's gettin' teed up. That's simply a no brainer from a defensive perspective.

If you are actually looking for an earhole, you had a ****ty coach who didn't play by the rules. There could have still been a crushing hit that would involve no contact with his head, and would have been completely legal.

TopDawg
11/24/2006, 11:13 PM
Just look at the timing of the play. The guy who intercepted it went down pretty quickly. There's not a lot of time between the time he catches and the time he goes down which, by definition, is when the ball is dead. Even if the whistle blew a full second later, I doubt Colt would start unstrapping his helmet simultaneously with the interception.

Scott D
11/24/2006, 11:15 PM
Just look at the timing of the play. The guy who intercepted it went down pretty quickly. There's not a lot of time between the time he catches and the time he goes down which, by definition, is when the ball is dead. Even if the whistle blew a full second later, I doubt Colt would start unstrapping his helmet simultaneously with the interception.

not to mention that nobody was within 3 yards of McCoy in the time between Dodge catching the ball, and Dodge being tackled.

bluedogok
11/24/2006, 11:18 PM
I know that the last hit was hard and under the chin, but why the board and cart and everything? Was it because of his previous injury? I've seen qb's leave pretty shook up after a hit like that, but not many immobilized.
I bet it was because of the whiplash effect of his helmet hitting the ground on the Bennett hit. Many times they will bring out the board as a precaution.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/24/2006, 11:25 PM
I know that the last hit was hard and under the chin, but why the board and cart and everything?

It's precautionary. I heard something about numbness in the extremities, and when you take a shot, mix in a lil' numbness or tingling, there's potential for neck/spinal injury. You immobilize the head, neck, and back to try and eliminate any further injury that can be caused by something as simple as moving your head.

If you are actually looking for an earhole, you had a ****ty coach who didn't play by the rules.

And Scott, you're off the mark, here. If the premise of your front four's defensive gameplan is aggressive upfield pursuit and huntin' for the football, it's not a matter of MY coach being a "****ty" coach. That's plain ol' smart coaching. If you have a shot, post interception, and the ball is live, you ring him up. Period. Find me a defensive coach that doesn't teach that and I'll find you a defense that's either A) sadly non-aggressive, or B) horrible. More than likely both.

It ain't cheatin'. It ain't dirty. It's getting the job done. And if your defense with a post-interception block can even put an inkling of recognition into a QB's head, you've won as a defensive front. Pressure starts closing faster. Eyes start looking for passing lanes instead of working down the field. And with a single hit alone, you can shave a second or more off a QBs checkdown, which in turn forces bad looks, missed reads, and blind throws the deeper in the progression you go.

All from one single hit.

That ain't ****ty. That's smart football.

Maybe the misunderstanding is in the word 'earhole', where I probably should've used something else that didn't infer helmet to helmet. Smearin' a guy, yes. Drillin' him through the skull, no.

sanantoniosooner
11/24/2006, 11:33 PM
Calling someone a puss that went off the field on a stretcher is weak crap.

Sitting behind a keyboard makes some of you real tough.

Scott D
11/24/2006, 11:35 PM
I'd base it more on the view of it being called "earholing". I was always told shoulder, chest....fair game. Head, offlimits.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/24/2006, 11:36 PM
Head, offlimits.

I can agree with that.

Scott D
11/24/2006, 11:38 PM
They were both cheap shots. The first clearly was. The second was of the type that the KSU team under Snyder used to specialize in....lead with the crown of the helmet and come up into the QB's chin and the Big 12 seems OK with that type of crap and allowed it over and over again in the Big 12 CCG in 03 against Jason White.

saw the Bennett hit again, and contact was made with the chest/shoulder area. His head snapped back because of impact more than anything. It was more of a marginal hit in timing than a cheap shot.

Williesan
11/24/2006, 11:39 PM
I think the ejection hit was late and the aTm player got the call because McCoy had relaxed and started unbuckling his helmet, the player with the pick went down pretty quick so that is why it seemed late and not a legal down field block. It was late, post possession and ejection seemed like the correct call.

The hit that he went out on was a clean shot, no hands or helmet to helmet but a shot right on the shoulder area of where his previous stinger was, the whiplash effect of his head hitting the ground is what probably knocked him out of the game.

Bluedogok's probably the most correct so far - but there is one thing that needs to be made clear: McCoy was not "in" on the play at the time he was drilled by Heard.

Under the rules, this is what I could find to apply to this situation:

RULE 9 - Conduct of Players and Others Subject to Rules

SECTION 1. Contact and Interference Fouls

Flagrant Fouls
ARTICLE 1. Before the game, during the game and between periods, all flagrant fouls require disqualification. Team B disqualification personal fouls require first downs if not in conflict with other rules.

Pretty simple.

ARTICLE 2. No person subject to the rules shall commit a personal foul before the game, during the game or between the periods. Any act prohibited hereunder or any other act of unnecessary roughness is a personal foul.

So if the ref deems your action(s) as "unnecessary roughness", he can toss the hanky at you.

j. No player shall run into or throw himself against an opponent obviously out of the play either before or after the ball is dead (A.R. 9-1-2-XIX and XX).
l. No player shall use his helmet (including the face mask) to butt or ram an opponent in an attempt to punish him (A.R. 9-1-2-XVI).
n. No player shall strike a runner with the crown or the top of his helmet in an attempt to punish him.

Heard was technically guilty on all three counts. Part "j" is what he was probably called for, but in any case, any one of those three parts could have been applied.

The KO hit by Bennett was legal in college, but would draw a penalty and a fine in the NFL (there was some contact with the helmet, and the NFL really protects the QB's.)

PENALTY—15 yards from the basic spot or succeeding spot for deadball fouls and a first down for Team B fouls if the first down is not in conflict with other rules (Exception: Offensive team personal fouls behind the neutral zone are enforced from the previous spot. Safety if the foul occurs behind Team A’s goal line) [S7, S24, S34, S38, S39, S40, S41 or S46 (note - these numbers refer to the "Official's signals")]. Flagrant offenders shall be disqualified [S47].

The conference could also add a 1 game suspension on top of this if they see fit.

Now - speaking of officials: Please, Please, PLEASE no John Bible or Randy Christal tomorrow.

Cheers!

Williesan

Mongo
11/24/2006, 11:40 PM
Sorry Scott, but earholing is exceptable(but in this case it was not).

:les: GET YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL :texan: !!

Scott D
11/24/2006, 11:43 PM
Sorry Scott, but earholing is exceptable(but in this case it was not).

:les: GET YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL :texan: !!

not acceptable in the NFL if you wear a tutu...er play the position of Quarterback ;)

Sooner_Bob
11/24/2006, 11:46 PM
No way the second hit was a cheap shot . . . first one was though.

MiccoMacey
11/25/2006, 12:21 AM
I just need someone to show me a video that shows clearly the play was over. Otherwise, it's a debate as to whether he was "out of the play".

And, yes Scott, head is of limits. But a hit on the QB after a pick when the ball is in play is smart ball.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/25/2006, 12:23 AM
I just need someone to show me a video that shows clearly the play was over. Otherwise, it's a debate as to whether he was "out of the play".

And, yes Scott, head is of limits. But a hit on the QB after a pick when the ball is in play is smart ball.

Hey, ain't you supposed to be workin'? *cracks whip*

mightysooner
11/25/2006, 12:35 AM
I was watching the game and in all fairness I don't see how anybody could say it wasn't a cheap, dirty shot. I thought it definitely was as did the refs which is why the player was ejected.

All_Day_28
11/25/2006, 12:36 AM

to be honest, on the replay I saw you see McCoy start to run to make a play, and then he stops and unstraps his chin strap (as if the play is over with), then gets leveled.. so in conclusion you can't say 100% that the play was over, but it really appeared that it was..

MiccoMacey
11/25/2006, 12:37 AM
Hey, ain't you supposed to be workin'? *cracks whip*

Nah...I'm a firefighter. :D

Plus, the trucks already washed.

SouthFortySooner
11/25/2006, 01:19 AM
The Texas Longhorns have scoreboard on us at this time and this "emotionally scarred" young man of which you speak was a great part of that. I don't think he will curl up in the fetal position between now and NEXT october either. Until then he has my respect.

Now had Nic Harris taken the outside track on his skinny but and knocked him out rather than let him outside to throw a completion woulda had me "foamin at the mouth".

achiro
11/25/2006, 01:32 AM
The one thing that nobody has even brought up is the fact that the defender turned and saw the interception, then turned around to make a block, he never looked back to see the guy go down. Even if a whistle blew he may not have heard it. I agree with whoever said that there really is no way to know how far after the hit actually was. As far as cm unsnapping the chin strap, I bet he looks around twice next time to make sure everyone is done.;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/25/2006, 02:37 AM
No way the second hit was a cheap shot . . . first one was though.

i was thinking aubrey beavers, without the twist...

TUSooner
11/25/2006, 09:15 AM
the player with the pick went down pretty quick so that is why it seemed late and not a legal down field block.
That's the point I wanted to make. I was a quick play once the ball left McWuss's hand. The hit was late and cheap - a blindsider.
After the aTm guy got tossed, even the aTm players were kinda in his face for being so stupid.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/25/2006, 09:19 AM
The first one... pathetic.

The second was not late. I watched it a few times and he was off his feet when the ball was released. No way to stop that. As for leading with the crown, well, yeah, but that wasn't the question.

jrsooner
11/25/2006, 09:40 AM
I only ask because we couldn't tell here at the fire station if the play was over or not, and there are tons of Longhorn fans saying it was a cheap shot.There was 2 hits on McCoy in about a 2-3 minute span.

1st one, I would call a cheap shot. iirc, the pass was caught, play called dead, McCoy was "walking while turning around" and the Aggie ran up and slammed him hard. That was the shot that got the player ejected from the game.

2nd one, looked like a nice clean, but hard hit. Aggie was in the "flying tackle" position as McCoy went up and through the ball. McCoy got slammed hard. That was the one that they had to carry him off in the stretcher.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/25/2006, 09:48 AM
The first one...the guy was being an *******, he could have just as easily just ran him over and pushed him a little bit, he is so much bigger and stronger that he could have easily made him look the fool without knocking the **** out of him.

jrsooner
11/25/2006, 10:01 AM
Here it is....this was the cheap shot. I hope this helps until someone gets video someplace.

Everybody saw the pass...
http://home.houston.rr.com/jrsquared/lh1.jpg

Whistle was blown, play over... then we see:
http://home.houston.rr.com/jrsquared/lh2.jpg

http://home.houston.rr.com/jrsquared/lh3.jpg

http://home.houston.rr.com/jrsquared/lh4.jpg

The Cheapshot:
http://home.houston.rr.com/jrsquared/lh5.jpg

Rogue
11/25/2006, 10:05 AM
Looks like Colt is unbuckling his chinstrap.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/25/2006, 10:09 AM
The refs made the right call, he was being a ****** bag. He laid him out, when Dusty hit Chrissy, he didn't drive him into the ground

jrsooner
11/25/2006, 10:10 AM
Looks like Colt is unbuckling his chinstrap.Yep, considering he was just intercepted. He was ready to head to the sidelines.

sanantoniosooner
11/25/2006, 10:32 AM
Why is it so important to some for it to have been a clean hit in spite of the penalty and ejection?

I don't understand what personal satisfaction you'll get out of it.

If Colt is a wuss, that makes you feel better? Then we got beat by a wuss. Does that make your day?

I don't get the motivation unless it's just 100% blind hatred of anything orange incorporating stupidity as a special feature.

jrsooner
11/25/2006, 10:58 AM
Why is it so important to some for it to have been a clean hit in spite of the penalty and ejection?For me. I personally dislike the players who think they have to take cheap shots to win a game. I was following the last half of the game via internet at work and didn't know about the hit. Then when I got home and replayed the last few minutes, it made the aggie's win a little less enjoyable. I cheered when the guy got thrown out. I don't know why he felt he had to take a cheap shot, that's like saying "We can't win unless we take you out illegally.".

sanantoniosooner
11/25/2006, 11:15 AM
I guess you misinterpret my question.

Why do some have to justify the hit and claim it's clean?

Does that help?

Scott D
11/25/2006, 11:36 AM
Or more importantly...there was another shot that FSSW showed on their post game show that was from behind the offensive line. #91 happened to be with the offensive linemen, and was directly in front of the play happening of the interception and subsequent tackle. That puts him over 5 yards away from McCoy at that point. Not hearing the whistle or not...he went over 5 yards to make contact with someone when the play was over. It's more inexcusable that a 330 lb guy launched himself at McCoy.

jrsooner
11/25/2006, 11:41 AM
I guess you misinterpret my question.
Why do some have to justify the hit and claim it's clean?
Does that help?Oops. Yes. It was a loong night. All my wits aren't back yet.

JohnnyMack
11/25/2006, 11:48 AM
1st Hit: A late cheap shot. Should have been ejected.

2nd Hit: Not late. Did drop head and lead with crown of his helmet. If Bennett were in the NFL he'd be facing a big fine today for that hit.

Some of you people really should try looking at things without crimson blinders once in a while.

1stTimeCaller
11/25/2006, 12:10 PM
I think some people haven't been able to see the entire play of the ejection. The one clip I saw today didn't make it seem too bad but then again, I haven't seen the whole play. Maybe that's why some people are asking if anyone has a video of the play.

oh and

http://www.nevtron.si/borderline/blinders.gif

cs6000
11/26/2006, 02:38 AM
How bout this instead? http://youtube.com/watch?v=FQ8jjL0f3fE