PDA

View Full Version : Flashback: Whorn knocks out QB on late hit

47straight
11/24/2006, 04:48 PM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/12/4TEXNOTES.html?COXnetJSessionIDbuild173=Fnk1YSG12h j7EjD3IpIT5vLwJEjB70q7B5HorY0IjeqQ1OGDvz85!-2045837991&UrAuth=aN`NUOaNXUbTTUWUXUWUZTZUbUWU]U^UZUbU`UcTYWVVZV&urcm=y

"Sunday, December 04, 2005

Colorado quarterback Joel Klatt suffered a concussion and was taken to a hospital for a CT scan after the game. Klatt had left the game in the third quarter after being hit by Texas linebacker Drew Kelson, who was flagged for roughing the passer. Klatt was expected to remain in the hospital overnight."

<the article fails to mention whorns were up by 40 at the time>

Karma's a bitch, yo.

My dad never studied eastern religion, but he always said what goes around, comes around.

Feed that back to any whorns you see complaining about the rough treatment on mccoy.

Hope the kid's okay, though. Any bitchy fans can screw off.

OUHOMER
11/24/2006, 04:50 PM
never mind

trwxxa
11/24/2006, 04:51 PM
Right on. You know they are going to come on here and bitch about some of the calls today.

This team has had calls go in their favor for three years. Take that.

fadada1
11/24/2006, 04:56 PM
kid got walloped and i hope he's ok. he's a heck of a player and will make our game with the horns great for 3 more years. he just might be a little groggy for a few days.

get well soon, ponyboy. we need to beat you fair and square next year.

47straight
11/24/2006, 04:58 PM
I must correct myself. Texas was up 70-3 at the time of the hit. And Klatt didn't even get to play in the bowl game nearly a month later because he was still hurting and dizzy.

sanantoniosooner
11/24/2006, 05:00 PM
After 100 years of football, I'm sure every team has been on both sides of the karma issue.

Personally I don't believe it. If you say every negative thing that happens is the result of something you did to deserve it, then get ready for your own stuff to be analyzed.

BajaOklahoma
11/24/2006, 05:06 PM
I'm older than you. I have more life experience.
Karma is real and it works in both positive and negative ways.

sanantoniosooner
11/24/2006, 05:07 PM
So AD deserved a collar bone break?

47straight
11/24/2006, 05:10 PM

Nah, he's just payin in for a HOF NFL career. :D

sooneron
11/24/2006, 05:10 PM
He never should have thrown the hot sauce at Denny's.

sanantoniosooner
11/24/2006, 05:13 PM
Our posting is hilarious.

We whined when OTHERS said it was karma that AD got hurt.

But now it's karma that McCoy did.

We whined when the media said how much moxy McGee had in the OU game.

Now we have subscribed to his moxy.

Sometimes the rollercoaster of wishywashiness is sad and amusing at the same time.

sooneron
11/24/2006, 05:17 PM

Sometimes the rollercoaster of wishywashiness is sad and amusing at the same time.
Nope, still hate McGee here.

GrapevineSooner
11/24/2006, 05:17 PM
YMSSRA

BigRedJed
11/24/2006, 05:19 PM
I'm just happy that Carson Daly invented it in time for the whorns to get punked like that.

sanantoniosooner
11/24/2006, 05:19 PM
hating him and praising his moxy are not mutually exclusive.

Review the thread for PLENTY of examples.

XingTheRubicon
11/24/2006, 05:20 PM
I don't think there's ever a time to make light of an athlete being stretchered off the field. Let's leave that for aggies and Philly fan.

Colt seems like a pretty good kid and I hope he's OK.

goingoneight
11/24/2006, 05:20 PM
I feel really bad for McCoy. A late hit is a late hit. It's not right, and what happens on a completely different team is no reason to come back and haunt someone the next year.

I really hope as a human being, that McCoy is okay. Those who are laughing at his injury are no better than aggies who want AD to break his leg.

BigRedJed
11/24/2006, 05:22 PM
And don't put me down as one of the people who think it's funny or cool for McCoy to get hit like that. I'm just happy for the whorns as a team.

BajaOklahoma
11/24/2006, 05:24 PM

My view of Karma is more along the lines of dealing with other people. You know, the do unto others theory.
Accidents happen.

BeetDigger
11/24/2006, 05:26 PM
I think that the point of the thread is not the people are happy about McCoy getting hurt, but more that Whorn fans now know how it feels to have a player get a cheap shot and get taken off on a stretcher. I don't know that they were on Kelson last year when he did what he did. Therefore, any vileness that they have for aTm should be tempered by their feelings about what Kelson did last year.

sanantoniosooner
11/24/2006, 05:27 PM
My view of Karma is more along the lines of dealing with other people. You know, the do unto others theory.
Accidents happen.
yeah....what goes around comes around. I agree.

Obviously it's negative karma when it's THEM and and accident when it's US.

sanantoniosooner
11/24/2006, 05:28 PM
I think that the point of the thread is not the people are happy about McCoy getting hurt, but more that Whorn fans now know how it feels to have a player get a cheap shot and get taken off on a stretcher. I don't know that they were on Kelson last year when he did what he did. Therefore, any vileness that they have for aTm should be tempered by their feelings about what Kelson did last year.
I don't think anybody is discussing a celebration of the injury.

I think we are discussing if this is the result of bad karma or just bad circumstances.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/24/2006, 05:44 PM
I tell you what, though...

If that's C.J. Ah You or Bird comin' around the corner, detonating the kid in his pants, I'm pumpin' a fist and raising nine kinds of hell. Up until he doesn't get up. Seriously. How many of you guys didn't do the same when Lindy sphincter smoked Harrell in the Tech game? Of course you did. Had the kid not got up, then the respect kicks in. Until then, it's all about a wicked hit, gettin' aggressive hat on the quarterback, and playing the kind of defense that folks have been needing to play all season against Texass. Pressure is pressure. As long as it's fair.

If that hit came a half-second earlier, I for one would simply be nodding my head and smiling. Good ol' fashioned pressure. As it stands? Stuff happens. Hope he heals up quick. It's a rough game, and that's why the boys wear pads. And because of that, and the split-second decision a defensive player has to make in regards to pullin' the trigger or not, I got no sympathy for whether it was a late hit or no.

Am I laughing? Nope.

Do I wish him ill? Nope.

But playin' the 'omg it's a late hit, poor Colt' card is ridiculous, in my opinion. Half second earlier with the same end result? We'd be questioning his durability as a quarterback, which as an analytical football fan, we should still do.

sanantoniosooner
11/24/2006, 05:46 PM
actually it's the earlier hit that was a cheap shot IMO.

The last one was a good hit to an already injured player.

tbl
11/24/2006, 05:49 PM

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/fixinchitlins/YMSSRA.jpg

1stTimeCaller
11/24/2006, 05:51 PM
so you're not supposed to tackle a player that might have been hurt earlier in the game or his coach is a dumbass for leaving him in there to get hurt?

sanantoniosooner
11/24/2006, 05:54 PM
so you're not supposed to tackle a player that might have been hurt earlier in the game or his coach is a dumbass for leaving him in there to get hurt?
I'll tell you what.......

quote the part that I said that is confusing to you and I will clarify.

1stTimeCaller
11/24/2006, 05:57 PM
oh you thought I was talking smack to you? settle down nancy, I was talking smack on Mack Brown.

sanantoniosooner
11/24/2006, 05:59 PM
no, I was confused by your tangential approach to the thread.

Velma.

47straight
11/24/2006, 06:00 PM
I think we are discussing if this is the result of bad karma or just bad circumstances.

You might be. All I'm talking about is for the whorns to STFU if they forget that if you live by the late hit, you die by the late it.

sanantoniosooner
11/24/2006, 06:02 PM
Karma's a bitch, yo.
I guess this is what made me think you were involving karma in the discussion

Sorry I misinterpreted this somehow.

47straight
11/24/2006, 06:09 PM
I guess this is what made me think you were involving karma in the discussion

Sorry I misinterpreted this somehow.

Dude, it's karma, don't get all legalistic on it. It sucks bad when your starting quarterback gets hurt. But it's even deeper when you did the same thing, and mocked the injured party for calling for better protection of players.

Observe:

http://blogs.chron.com/big12/archives/2005/12/_colorado_offic.html

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2005/12/19/colorado_quarterback_fires_back.html

Stick in "irony" instead of karma if it will gets the discussion back on track.

utex74
11/24/2006, 06:12 PM
Right on. You know they are going to come on here and bitch about some of the calls today.

This team has had calls go in their favor for three years. Take that.

Yeah, we what I consider pretty poor calls go against us. But we also made some pretty boneheaded plays. Running Melton on 4th and goal was a horrible idea. I understand the Colt was knocked by a clean hit but the previous series he WAS nailed as he was unsnapping his chin strap. Aggie ejected. I don't think Colt was 100% either. Or our front seven for that matter. They were handled.

So, some poor calls, some poor play calling, definitely poor execution. This was an unexpected, old fashioned *** whipping. But as I told my son, it is days like this that make the good ones so much sweeter. I refused to let him bitch.

Now, you guys go play the same way tomorrow. That would make me feel better. But if you DO win, anyone on here interested in a ticket to the CCG? Lower level, 20 yd line, South Division side? I'll be back in OKC next week.

47straight
11/24/2006, 06:15 PM
actually it's the earlier hit that was a cheap shot IMO.

The last one was a good hit to an already injured player.

Really? I almost thought the reverse. I didn't have very good sound where I was, but it seemed to me that the first late hit came just a tad after the whistle. It looked to me like Colt was in the process of unstrapping his chinstrap before the play was over, which is a big, big no-no.

The hit at the end of the game - the defender took at least 2 steps before making helmet to helmet contact, which I would think was over the line into roughing the passer.

sanantoniosooner
11/24/2006, 06:15 PM
Dude, it's karma, don't get all legalistic on it. It sucks bad when your starting quarterback gets hurt. But it's even deeper when you did the same thing, and mocked the injured party for calling for better protection of players.

Observe:

http://blogs.chron.com/big12/archives/2005/12/_colorado_offic.html

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2005/12/19/colorado_quarterback_fires_back.html

Stick in "irony" instead of karma if it will get you back on track.
Perhaps the word "irony" makes a lot of difference.

I have a hard time with a player service a karma sentence for what fans said.

Irony is another issue. And I get your point there.

BeetDigger
11/24/2006, 06:21 PM
I don't think anybody is discussing a celebration of the injury.

You're are misapplying the karma. It is not toward the player. It is toward the Whorn fans who thought that what they did was right in the game last year and who are now crying foul. And whether karma is the right word or sentiment is perhaps debateable. What is not debateable is the whorn fans who feel that what happened last year was fine and what happened this year is deploreable.

1stTimeCaller
11/24/2006, 06:26 PM
literally, I literally want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.

sanantoniosooner
11/24/2006, 06:33 PM
literally, I literally want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.
I can help you if you don't have the nerve.

My only experience is a lobotomy, on Soonerus, with a melon scoop but it can't be much different.

Herr Scholz
11/24/2006, 06:36 PM
I don't know that they were on Kelson last year when he did what he did. Therefore, any vileness that they have for aTm should be tempered by their feelings about what Kelson did last year.
We were on Kelson about that. McCoy was hit by two late, dirty hits BTW. The first was after the play was completely over while he was taking off his helmet. No one was ejected in the UT/CU game. That dirty aggy was ejected for good reason. To compare that to last year's Big XII title game is wrong.

snp
11/24/2006, 06:38 PM
A melon scoop is being pretty generous.

sooneron
11/24/2006, 06:47 PM
hating him and praising his moxy are not mutually exclusive.

Review the thread for PLENTY of examples.
None o mine though!:D

Since71ASooner4Life
11/24/2006, 07:03 PM
I don't think there's ever a time to make light of an athlete being stretchered off the field. Let's leave that for aggies and Philly fan.

Colt seems like a pretty good kid and I hope he's OK.

Amen.

I love to see any Shorthorn player fail miserably in their execution of the game, because I love to hate their team. But there isn't any good reason to enjoy seeing one of their players hurt - especially a class kid like McCoy appears to be.

Rhino
11/24/2006, 07:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg5eOjmbApg

KingDavid
11/24/2006, 07:26 PM

You can hate him. But we gotta respect that kid. He's TOUGH!

Scott D
11/24/2006, 07:30 PM
I can't take any joy in what happened to McCoy. Granted, I don't think he should have played, but that's another story. I simply don't care enough about Horn fans to gloat about what happened to their team. I'm just glad the kid has full movement, and hopefully the effects of his concussion (which I think he initially got on the cheap shot by #91) won't be long lasting.

Mongo
11/24/2006, 07:39 PM
I can take joy in what happened to McCoy. Granted, I don't think he should have played, but that's another story. I simply don't care enough about Horn fans to gloat about what happened to their team. I just hope the kid is a quadrapeligic and eats his meals through a straw.

heartless bastard

Herr Scholz
11/24/2006, 07:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg5eOjmbApg
That's fair, Rhino, but please show me the video of a Longhorn player hitting an opposing player after the play's been called dead and the player's taking his helmet off.

Rhino
11/24/2006, 07:48 PM
I guess you think I'm disagreeing with you.

Frozen Sooner
11/24/2006, 07:55 PM
The first hit was a total cheap shot. The second hit was slightly iffy but would never draw a flag.

I feel terrible for McCoy that he's hurt. I think it was an extremely risky decision to play him today-I don't think he was near 100%, and I recall a lot of Horns giving Stoops a LOT of **** about playing Jason White in 2001 when he was hurt.

All that being said, Colt McCoy has never done anything to me other than beat my favorite football team on the field. In fact, from all accounts he should have a pretty solid base of positive karma built up. Hope he makes a full recovery for whatever second-tier bowl Texas plays in.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/24/2006, 07:57 PM
Speaking of the total cheap shot...

I was doggin' it in the yard tryin' to clean up my dump for the watch party tomorrow. Has it made youtube or any other video format yet?

BeetDigger
11/24/2006, 09:09 PM
We were on Kelson about that. McCoy was hit by two late, dirty hits BTW. The first was after the play was completely over while he was taking off his helmet. No one was ejected in the UT/CU game. That dirty aggy was ejected for good reason. To compare that to last year's Big XII title game is wrong.

I think that the two are comparable in that Texas was blitzing with a 40+ point lead. What that implies is that they were going for no mercy. With that in mind, aTm was going for no mercy too, albeit with a smaller lead. The first hit on McCoy was a cheap shot. Totally after the play. The second hit appeared to be debateable as to how late it was. And to Texas fans being on Kelson, well, did you even pay attention to some of the comments after that hit? Take a look at some that were posted in a previous link in this thread. Whorn fans were not universally abored by Kelson.

MiccoMacey
11/24/2006, 09:43 PM
That's fair, Rhino, but please show me the video of a Longhorn player hitting an opposing player after the play's been called dead and the player's taking his helmet off.

Man, have you got some proof that the play was dead? 'Cause you couldn't tell from the ABC crew. Just because he was unstrapping his chin strap doesn't mean it's over.

If it wasn't over (and I really really really don't know), it was a clean hit.

homerxsimpson
11/24/2006, 11:14 PM
Man, have you got some proof that the play was dead?

You mean aside from the fact that the refs threw the flag for a flagrant personal foul and ejected the player from the game?

Or could it have something to do with the fact that this is about the 4th personal foul this DT Heard has gotten this year?

I remember during the Ohio St. game, Colt made a TD saving tackle after that early goal line fumbled pass. Seems like Colt knew back then when a play was alive and when it was dead.

Speaking of Karma, I'm thinking a defensive tackle with a history of cheapshots to QB's might get a little if he's not careful. It's easier to get away with that kind of **** if your a linebacker.

47straight
11/24/2006, 11:40 PM
You mean aside from the fact that the refs threw the flag for a flagrant personal foul and ejected the player from the game?

I'll not trust the referee's judgement on the field as a general rule this year, and wait for the tape. :D