PDA

View Full Version : First success of the experiment I'll be working on before long

Ike
11/24/2006, 01:53 PM
http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/hardware/0,39042972,61969861,00.htm

The magnets turned on successfully.

I know this doesn't really excite you guys, but working on an experiment like this one, you come to appreciate even the small successes...because there are just so many things that can, and often do, go wrong.

Oh, and these are some powerful damn magnets.

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/25/2006, 12:49 AM
Why didnt you just say you were looking for some Higgs Bosons. I have a case left over from last New Years Eve.

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2006, 12:50 AM
Nice. Very nice.

OCUDad
11/25/2006, 02:03 AM
"The LHC will consume some 120 megawatts and is predicted to run for between 15 years and 20 years."Who's payin' the electric bill for this ?

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2006, 02:11 AM
I'm going to have to have my ex type up some kind of detail on the physics research project she's doing. Probably pretty basic stuff compared to what you're doing though.

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2006, 02:14 AM
There's a pretty easy joke in there somewhere about the Baylor physics department, but I ain't gonna make it. Just suffice it to say it's there and could be made.

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2006, 02:15 AM
There's a pretty easy joke in there somewhere about the Baylor physics department, but I ain't gonna make it. Just suffice it to say it's there and could be made.

She goes to NSU. If GDC or one of his clone minions were here he'd neg ya. ;)

Ike
11/25/2006, 02:19 AM
Who's payin' the electric bill for this ?
the EU is picking up most of the bill. I think US funding for this is at something like the 10% level.

Ike
11/25/2006, 02:27 AM
I'm going to have to have my ex type up some kind of detail on the physics research project she's doing. Probably pretty basic stuff compared to what you're doing though.

most likely it isn't particle physics. a lot of other physics is fairly easy compared to particle physics (easy in the sense that it can be done by only a handful of people...not in the sense that it is necessarily more "basic"). Because of the complexity of the experiments and the fact that in order to fully understand the data you are working with, you have to understand a very complex detector, just climbing the learning curve can easily take a year or so, which is generally more time than an undergrad is willing to spend on their capstone. We do have a couple of undergrads analyzing some of our data as a capstone project, and from what I have seen, its pretty slow going for them, as they are trying to do an analysis (or at least part of one) while learning the detector and the tools we have already set up for the analysis of our data.

Cam
11/25/2006, 01:52 PM
Each day it runs, the LHC will generate around 10 terabytes of data
Holy ****e. That'll keep a few hundred data monkeys busy for a very long time.

OUinFLA
11/25/2006, 07:53 PM
most likely it isn't particle physics. a lot of other physics is fairly easy compared to particle physics (easy in the sense that it can be done by only a handful of people...not in the sense that it is necessarily more "basic"). Because of the complexity of the experiments and the fact that in order to fully understand the data you are working with, you have to understand a very complex detector, just climbing the learning curve can easily take a year or so, which is generally more time than an undergrad is willing to spend on their capstone. We do have a couple of undergrads analyzing some of our data as a capstone project, and from what I have seen, its pretty slow going for them, as they are trying to do an analysis (or at least part of one) while learning the detector and the tools we have already set up for the analysis of our data.

Are you in Europe for this? or are you waiting until you can be transported over there via electronic partical transmission on the internet?

Ike
11/25/2006, 08:03 PM
Are you in Europe for this? or are you waiting until you can be transported over there via electronic partical transmission on the internet?
When I move to this one, I will be in Europe. I won't be full time on this experiment for a couple years yet though.