PDA

View Full Version : John Redcorn......do your people even celebrate Thanksgiving?

sanantoniosooner
11/22/2006, 06:05 PM
We did.

Once.

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2006, 06:06 PM
Heh. One of the best throw-away lines in a cartoon ever.

SoonerDood
11/22/2006, 08:29 PM
rofl.

Okla-homey
11/23/2006, 07:30 AM
Funny you mention that.

I've some Indian colleagues who go to great lengths, well, maybe not great...but lengths, anyway, to avoid any celebration of Columbus Day. As we have all come to understand, Columbus was the white debbil who came to these happy shores thinking he had made it to the land of the East Indians and promptly spread ruin and disease like the genocidal madman he was.

OTOH, when it comes to Thanksgiving, my Indian friends choose to celebrate. Notwithstanding the fact that their Alogonquin cousins wasted a wonderful opportunity to kick the buckle-shoe wearing, blunderbus toting, Pilgrim-folk back into the sea.

Therefore, I've decided the general disdain for Columbus coupled with tolerance, nay, acceptance of English settlers wearing funky hats is, shall we say, rather inconsistent.

Vaevictis
11/23/2006, 06:30 PM
Therefore, I've decided the general disdain for Columbus coupled with tolerance, nay, acceptance of English settlers wearing funky hats is, shall we say, rather inconsistent.

Well, do keep in mind that for the first fourty years or so after landing at Plymouth Rock, the Pilgrims essentially lived in peace with the Wampanoag. The alliance extended to military matters, which the Pilgrims stuck to at some risk to themselves.

In contrast, the natives where Columbus landed -- the Lucayans -- were basically extinct within 25 years of his landing.

While I wouldn't say the Pilgrims were innocent of later wrong doing (they did, after all, assassinate the leader of the Wampanoag tribe circa 1660), they started off much better than Columbus, who immediately went about the process of taking slaves when he landed ;)