PDA

View Full Version : Victory in the War on Drugs!

Jerk
11/22/2006, 11:43 AM
(Grandma goes rambo on cops)

ATLANTA -- Three Atlanta police officers were shot and wounded and an elderly woman killed at a house in northwest Atlanta Tuesday night.

The woman, who relatives say was 92-years-old, opened fire on the officers from the narcotics division at a house at 933 Neal Street, according to officials. Authorities say they received a tip of drug activity taking place at the home and officers were headed to the house with a search warrant.

Relatives identified the elderly woman as Katherine Johnston.

The woman's niece, Sarah Dozier, says that she bought her aunt a gun to protect herself and that her aunt had a permit for the gun (this is ballony). Relatives believe Johnston was frightened by the officers and opened fire.

"They kicked her door down talking about drugs, there's no drugs in that house. And they realize now, they've got the wrong house," Dozier said. "I'm mad as hell." Officials say they had the correct house and that the warrant they had was legal.

All three of the officers were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital. Officials there say the officers are alive, alert and talking. One officer was struck in the arm, one officer was struck in the shoulder and one officer was struck in the thigh. All of the officers are expected to be okay.

WSB-TV Channel 2 has reporters at the hospital and at the scene of the shooting; they will have live updates on Channel 2 Action News @ 11.
--------------------------------

Woman, 92, fatally shot as 3 Atlanta officers wounded

By JEFFRY SCOTT, S.A. REID
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 11/21/06

A 92-year-old woman was killed after she shot three Atlanta narcotics officers Tuesday night when they broke down the front door of her home trying to serve a search warrant, police said.

One officer was hit in the arm, one was struck in the shoulder, and one was shot in the thigh. All were rushed to Grady Memorial Hospital, where they were in stable condition late Tuesday night. Police did not release their identities.

Atlanta assistant police Chief Alan Dreher, in a news conference outside the hospital emergency room, declined to confirm the identity of the woman, but he said the warrant was served at the correct address. He said he did not know what name was on the warrant. He said the woman was the only one in the home at the time.

Sarah C. Dozier identified the dead woman as her aunt, Kathryn Johnston. Dozier said she had been looking forward to going to her aunt's house for Thanksgiving dinner as she does every year.

Dozier said she talked to her aunt every day and the conversation was often about crime in the neighborhood.

"Every window in her home and every door on her home has burglar bars," said Dozier. "I talked to her the other day about a 72-year-old who was raped. I know she was just scared."

Dreher, the assistant police chief, said as far as he knew the narcotics officers did "everything by the book. They had a search warrant, they announced themselves and knocked first." He said the incident is still under investigation and "will be for days."

He declined to say how many shots were fired and what kind of gun the woman had. Dozier said her aunt owned a pistol. "I don't know what kind and it was rusty, but apparently it was working well."

A neighbor, Yolanda Jackson, 42, said she was sitting on the front porch of her home on Joseph E. Lowery Boulevard a block away when undercover narcotics officers, who were not in street uniforms, showed up around 7 p.m. to serve a search warrant at Johnston's home, at 933 Neal St.

"I heard 'pow, pow, pow, pow,' " said Jackson. "A whole lot of gunfire, really fast." She estimated the number between 16 and 24. She said within five minutes, "about 20" police cars swarmed into the area.

A few minutes later ambulances showed up and a helicopter was hovering over the neighborhood, which is an intown mix of dilapidated homes, houses being refurbished and a few new infill houses.

By 8:15 p.m. police had Neal Street blocked off from the corner of Joseph Lowery as investigators went in and out of the home bringing out bags of evidence, according to neighbors, and TV news crews set up street shots.

-------------

If an old lady with a pistol gave them that much trouble, they would have been screwed if some dude came out with a high-powered magazine-fed battle rifle.

Okla-homey
11/22/2006, 11:49 AM
If we want to reduce illicit drug use in this country by 10%, we just need to continue what we're doing.

If we want to reduce it by 50%, we need to start treating people for their addictions, stop locking-up drug users who aren't involved in interstate distribution, and decriminalize marijuana.

Pretty weird sounding coming from a Christian, white, heteroseckshual, NRA member, Southern male elephant, huh?

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2006, 11:51 AM
We all know you're a closet liberal. Heck, before too long you're going to be a member of the ABA.

Jerk
11/22/2006, 11:58 AM
If we want to reduce illicit drug use in this country by 10%, we just need to continue what we're doing.

If we want to reduce it by 50%, we need to start treating people for their addictions, stop locking-up drug users who aren't involved in interstate distribution, and decriminalize marijuana.

Pretty weird sounding coming from a Christian, white, heteroseckshual, NRA member, Southern male elephant, huh?

That's the way I think, and I am all of those things you describe. So it can't be too weird.

Okla-homey
11/22/2006, 12:08 PM
We all know you're a closet liberal. Heck, before too long you're going to be a member of the ABA.

NEVAR!

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2006, 12:10 PM
First you'll join the ABA. "It's OK, just a taste won't hurt you" they'll say.

Then one of the partners in your firm will bring you along to an ATLA meeting. "You don't have to join, Homey. They just want to meet you."

Soon, you'll have an ACLU card. Mwa-hahahahaha! It's all part of our conspiracy.

Oldnslo
11/22/2006, 12:15 PM
We all know before too long you're going to be a member of ABBA.
and you're not even Swedish!

Jerk
11/22/2006, 12:19 PM
I would join, but my wife don't like me going out and drinkin' much anymore.

Partial Qualifier
11/22/2006, 12:52 PM
wearing plain clothes while kicking down someone's door in a crime-ridden neighborhood to serve a warrant.. well, it just makes good sense.

Hatfield
11/22/2006, 01:20 PM
anyone else impressed grandma was able to hit 3 different targets at 92 years old.

TUSooner
11/22/2006, 01:21 PM

I'm with you on that.
It still bears repeating that the War on Drugs, like Prohbition (the War on Booze), puts big money in the hands of bad guys and bloats the Leviathan law enforcement establishment. Neither thing is good. Meanwhile, anybody who is determoined to get stoned can do it - oir at lkeast 90% can. ;) Until folks realize that the issue of the "immoraility of intoxication" and the issue of "what do you want the gub'ment to do" are not the same and both need to be addressed, we'll never see any improvement.
It also seems to screw up our foreign relations in S America & Asia. Imagine what would have happened if the England or Russia had proposed torching American tobacco fields back in the day?

yermom
11/22/2006, 01:23 PM
wearing plain clothes while kicking down someone's door in a crime-ridden neighborhood to serve a warrant.. well, it just makes good sense.

well, otherwise they might get shot on the way to her house ;)

Czar Soonerov
11/22/2006, 02:19 PM
99.8% of all undercover undercover narcotics officers are bad.

IB4OU2
11/22/2006, 02:39 PM
NEVAR!

NAMBLA's just around the corner...

Ike
11/22/2006, 02:42 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29285
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27935

TUSooner
11/22/2006, 04:01 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29285
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27935
I hate it when I go to the Onion; I can never leave.
Those 2 stories made me go "heh" in a great way.
So did one about vigilante gay makovers, White History Year, and the long lost 4th Manning brother rescuing Tampa

mxATVracer10
11/22/2006, 04:42 PM
Dozier said her aunt owned a pistol. "I don't know what kind and it was rusty, but apparently it was working well."

This part here was great :texan:

Okla-homey
11/22/2006, 06:25 PM
Bless her heart. I bet it was some kind of ancient small caliber revolver. "Big mamas" and .32's go together like beans and cornbread.;)

Too bad the good folks in the GAP in 1921 didn't have a few more to hand. Seriously.

Please note, for the record. Three shots, three hits. Now that's "gun control" of which I approve.

tbl
11/22/2006, 06:33 PM
She went out with her boots on...

and I am in 100% agreement with Homey as well.

Ike
11/22/2006, 06:36 PM
I hate it when I go to the Onion; I can never leave.
Those 2 stories made me go "heh" in a great way.
So did one about vigilante gay makovers, White History Year, and the long lost 4th Manning brother rescuing Tampa

There was one they ran a few years ago with the title "War on Drugs Over: Drugs Win" or something like that. The picture at the top had a stoner standing over the President (can't remember if it was Bush or Clinton), who was sitting at a table signing a peace treaty. Hilarious. Unfortunately, it looks like they don't have that one in their archives.

SoonerProphet
11/22/2006, 07:15 PM
http://www.nationalreview.com/12feb96/drug.html