PDA

View Full Version : Stoops Likes The AZ Cardinals ???

SoonerJason
11/22/2006, 10:43 AM
http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Take it for what its worth..

Updated Friday, November 17, 2006 at 12:28 p.m.

Stoops Looking Hard At NFL -- Again

Word out of Norman is that Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops is sending feelers (just wondering ... what in the hell is a "feeler"?) out to the NFL boys that he will make the jump to the NFL if the right situation comes along.

We hear that Stoops is especially intrigued with the Arizona Cardinals job after Denny Green gets fired from that gig after 2006.

Stay tuned.

If Bob comes here and picks up AD.. Oh Baby...

Leave Oklahoma when you makes 3.5M and deal with the pros..

Would love to have him.. But I would stay.. He's lives and gets treated like a king.

sooner518
11/22/2006, 10:46 AM
Why anyone would want to coach at the Buzzsaw is beyond me.

RRWSooner
11/22/2006, 10:47 AM
I saw that too. Figured its just more haters trying to stir up rumors. If Bob was really serious about going to the NFL, I'm sure he would be smart enough to keep it under wraps.

AzianSooner
11/22/2006, 10:48 AM
so BOB truly likes the QB boy of AZ cardinal or he likes to get close to his brothers?

The Maestro
11/22/2006, 12:11 PM
Dear Bob Stoops,

If this is true, there are a few words I'd like to say to you.

Steve Spurrier

That is all.

The Maestro

yermom
11/22/2006, 12:18 PM
if he did go, he'd probably take his brothers with him... that or Pellini maybe

i can hear the outcry now if they hired him instead of some black d00d though :rolleyes:

i'm sure he's not going to say anything publicly though, until he's gone, that's just the way it works.

still, i can't imagine him going now

mrowl
11/22/2006, 12:24 PM
wtf? do people not read anymore?

oumartin
11/22/2006, 12:25 PM
I call bullsh!t. Hasn't there been interest from better franchises? Arizona would be like the last place he should wanna go

yermom
11/22/2006, 12:27 PM
i'm sure he'd want a challenge ;)

although, if he can't keep O-Linemen here, how is he gonna do it there? :D

devOUt
11/22/2006, 12:41 PM
I'm sure Stoops would give up the $3,000,000.00 bonus that he would receive from OU at the end of the 2008 season for the opportunity to coach such a well run organization as the Cardinals.

SoonerJason
11/22/2006, 12:45 PM
heh..

Left shoulder "Stay in Oklahoma."
Right shoulder "Come to Hell"

oKOIhoma fan
11/22/2006, 01:30 PM
Why go there when you know that Parcells is out next year or year after at the most? Cowboys would be begging for him. I don't see the Cardinals landing him

Blues1
11/22/2006, 01:52 PM
Doesn't Coach Stoops have a Big Bonus check coming after a 10 stay at Oklahoma ...sounds like a BS story to me....

Still R'

Luthor
11/22/2006, 02:31 PM
Honestly, I can't see Stoops going to the NFL period. He is purely a football coach and I think he dearly hates all of the other minutia that goes with being the head guy even at the collegiate level. I don't think he is wired to perform the ego stroking bullsh!t that must be done at the next level.

Codling WRs and paying kickers $3mil? I seriously doubt it. Taking a swipe at kicking Leinart's a$$ for chucking 4 INTs and having Gene Upshaw standing on his desk screaming union threats? Nope.

Octavian
11/22/2006, 03:28 PM
Honestly, I can't see Stoops going to the NFL period. He is purely a football coach and I think he dearly hates all of the other minutia that goes with being the head guy even at the collegiate level. I don't think he is wired to perform the ego stroking bullsh!t that must be done at the next level.

Codling WRs and paying kickers $3mil? I seriously doubt it. Taking a swipe at kicking Leinart's a$$ for chucking 4 INTs and having Gene Upshaw standing on his desk screaming union threats? Nope.

...and his love of press conferences. ;)

This is the elephant in the room right now. Obviously we all want him to stay....and he should stay. It'd be his best move.

He's rebuilt a storied national power and this is his program. He may win 100 games quicker than anyone in history and his legacy would grow the longer he stayed. If he stays long enough, his record will match (or exceed) some of the all-time great college coaches...be a legend. He's got a good thing going here.

The NFL is a totally different animal. It's not that he couldn't win...he'd win with a quality organization and lose with a bad one (just like any other NFL coach), but it's all the extra BS baggage that goes with it. Stoops doesn't like the off-field hastles he has now...it'd obviously be much worse in the NFL.

He'd be expected to succeed, but he wouldn't have as much control of his team and he'd be dealing with an entirely different media situation.

And I don't really see him as the type who gets hung up on making $6 million instead of a lousy $5 million.

We don't know all the stuff that goes on in private, but it just seems Stoops and OU are a really good fit.

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2006, 03:34 PM
Personally, I'm not so sure it'd be easy to get Stoops to switch to the NFL if for no other reason than he saw what happened when Spurrier did it. I'm thinking maybe Darth Visor has had a good talk with him about the differences in coaching NFL players and college players.

Harry Beanbag
11/22/2006, 03:36 PM
This is getting so old. If he was really looking to move on, I really don't think you would see the renewed fire that he has displayed the last month or so. It sounds stupid, but it appears to me that he's gotten a second wind in the midst of this strange season. That's JMO from observing from my couch.

Besides, everybody knows he doesn't want to put in 18 hour work days, which is pretty much standard in the life of an NFL coach.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/22/2006, 03:42 PM
You had me until the AZ Cardinals part....

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2006, 03:43 PM
Arizona's main target is Steve Mariucci.

And Stoops ain't going anywhere.

picasso
11/22/2006, 03:45 PM
the only AZ connection I could see is that Mikey is out there.

Luthor made a good point though. and if he really IS sending out feelers, all the local media types would know about it too.:rolleyes:

sooneron
11/22/2006, 03:46 PM
just sayin'

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/8631/searchbuttonsr1.jpg

Readyfor8
11/22/2006, 03:51 PM
First of all don't equate press conferences on the next level (anywhere) with press conferences here in Oklahoma. Our sports media are a bunch of poo-slinging talking gorilla's and worst of all we know it.

Stoops has never had any problem dealing with the national press, has never had a problem giving good information to the AP, but when you get people like Trammel, and Blevins in the same room firing hypotheticals at the microphone, I think thats as good a reason as any to leave.

I don't think he's going anywhere, but it isn't for lack of effort by the local media.

Ruuuuuufus
11/22/2006, 03:52 PM
Bob's agent has put out "feelers" to the NFL every year for the past few. If he never did it then I doubt Stoops would be making quite the salary that he is.

47straight
11/22/2006, 04:12 PM
Stoops has never had any problem dealing with the national press,

cue the Lynn Swan clip

mightysooner
11/22/2006, 08:54 PM
Blah,blah, blah....we've heard this every season since he won the NC that he is looking at the NFL or he's being interviewed. Can we stop talking about this now please?

KingDavid
11/22/2006, 09:11 PM
Blah,blah, blah....we've heard this every season since he wont the NC that he is looking at the NFL or he's being interviewed. Can we stop talking about this now please?

Somebody delete this dipshat thread.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/22/2006, 10:21 PM
Luthor made a good point though. and if he really IS sending out feelers, all the local media types would know about it too.

In fact, Dean Blevins said there's a 30 percent chance that there's a 50 percent chance that Coach Stoops is 75 percent sure he'll be deciding soon. But Coach is still 50/50 on where. :D

OU-HSV
11/23/2006, 09:25 AM
Blah,blah, blah....we've heard this every season since he won the NC that he is looking at the NFL or he's being interviewed. Can we stop talking about this now please?
Agreed