PDA

View Full Version : Our never-ending saga

Mrs. Norm
11/22/2006, 10:37 AM
A few weeks ago, the boy had strep. Norm stayed home and took care of him. Since I was getting up going to work, he also stayed "up" and took care of him. Then, of course, I got bronchitis a few days later. The boy and I just got off of our antibiotics.

Last night, the boy is puking AGAIN! His throat is on fire, he has a fever. Norm and I discussed and he has not been well for any Thanksgiving, except when he was 4 months old. Every year, he will get strep about 3-4 times, and the dr. says if he gets it one more time they will take his tonsils out. Of course, he doesn't get it until the next year.

Norm and I are tired of it every year. I'm going to tell the dr. this morning to take his tonsils out over our Christmas break. That way he won't get strep, at least.

LilSooner
11/22/2006, 10:41 AM
When I was the boy's age I did the same thing. I spent every holiday sick as a dog. Looks like this year is no exception.

Hope he feels better soon and you guys get some rest.

MamaMia
11/22/2006, 10:41 AM
I had my tonsils taken out when I was 16. I've only had strep throat twice since then. May he have a quick recovery.

OUAndy1807
11/22/2006, 10:49 AM
I read somewhere that getting your tonsils removed didn't really help all that much and that doctors have pretty much stopped doing it at this point. Is that not the case?

Mrs. Norm
11/22/2006, 10:51 AM
I read somewhere that getting your tonsils removed didn't really help all that much and that doctors have pretty much stopped doing it at this point. Is that not the case?

Our niece had it done last year. I haven't heard that they aren't doing it anymore.

LilSooner
11/22/2006, 10:53 AM

They won't do it for adults much anymore because of complications, but for little ones they still will.

GottaHavePride
11/22/2006, 10:53 AM
I had problems like that when I was a kid. At one point in middle school when they were on a six-week grading schedule I remember that the report cards said I had been absent 24 out of 36 days.

Anyway, I eventually grew out of it - haven't had more than a sinus infection in a long time. Still have my tonsils, too.

Mixer!
11/22/2006, 10:54 AM
Had mine out at 18 months, never had a bad sore throat.

Ear infections, OTOH...

OUDoc
11/22/2006, 10:59 AM
Used to be that you had to document a certain number of cases of strep per year before they'd take your tonsils. Now, you can usually find an ENT that will do it. I know of one or 2 in the OKC area that will.

fadada1
11/22/2006, 11:01 AM
i used to get strep a lot growing up. as soon as they threatened me with the tonsil removal, never got strep again. i'd say he'll outgrow it by about 8 or 10 years old... not that you want to wait.

TexasSooner01
11/22/2006, 11:05 AM
I can relate Mrs. Norm. Our little one gets an ear infection every 4-5 weeks. Doc said the last time that if it continues we will have to take him to an ENT doc and get tubes put in his ears.

Just think of it this way....One of these days he will be taking care of you!

BeetDigger
11/22/2006, 11:09 AM
Used to be that you had to document a certain number of cases of strep per year before they'd take your tonsils. Now, you can usually find an ENT that will do it. I know of one or 2 in the OKC area that will.

I was told by a doc that they don't do it much anymore because tonsils are proven to be useful (I believe in identifying infections for the body) and taking them out removes that defense. I was told that you had to have a lot of cases of strep before they would take them out.

Also, what are the causes of strep? Can a kid get it even if they don't come in contact with someone who has it?

achiro
11/22/2006, 11:20 AM
tonsils are proven to be useful
From some of the research I've read and heard about it the last few years, I would agree with this.

OUDoc
11/22/2006, 11:23 AM
I was told by a doc that they don't do it much anymore because tonsils are proven to be useful (I believe in identifying infections for the body) and taking them out removes that defense. I was told that you had to have a lot of cases of strep before they would take them out.

Also, what are the causes of strep? Can a kid get it even if they don't come in contact with someone who has it?
Strep is bacterial, so somehow you have to come into contact with it. Strep's everywhere though.

True, you don't want to have surgery and remove parts of the body for no good reason, but recurrent strep causes lots of problems for kids. Missing school, parents missing work, lots of antibiotics, expense of those antibiotics, etc. There's also no promise that you can't get strep just because you take the tonsils, it's just less likely. Also, lots of other bacteria can cause a sore throat, strep just happens to have other potential problems. That's why we worry about strep.

Beano's Fourth Chin
11/22/2006, 11:36 AM
Poor guy. The thought of kids in hospital beds makes me sad.

IB4OU2
11/22/2006, 11:45 AM
Poor guy. The thought of kids in hospital beds makes me sad.

Me too, I spent many months as a young boy in the hospital. I hope he gets to feeling better and avoids missing to many fun days after his surgery and I hope your doing well too Mrs. Norm.

proud gonzo
11/22/2006, 11:48 AM
our dad had his tonsils taken out when he was a kid because his twin brother kept getting sick and his dad said something like "take his out too, while you're at it."

skycat
11/22/2006, 11:49 AM
Not much is worse than a sick kid.

I hope he's better soon.

BlondeSoonerGirl
11/22/2006, 11:50 AM
Poor The Boy. I feel bad for him. Strep is nasty stuff...

I hope you guys feel better...and get well, wouldja?

:D

mrowl
11/22/2006, 11:54 AM
Strep is bacterial, so somehow you have to come into contact with it. Strep's everywhere though.

and a weak immune system won't help fight it, caused by a poor diet, which many kids have.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/22/2006, 12:53 PM
At age 6 I had my tonsils and adnoids removed. I got batman gas and got to eat popsicles and ice cream. When I got home, I hacked a lug and broke the stitches and bled again. More time in the hospital, this time not so fun...

Mrs. Norm
11/22/2006, 01:42 PM
We just got back from the dr. It is strep. We have been referred to an ENT in Norman. The doc looked at his chart and he has had strep EVERY winter since he was 1. He has been sick every Thanksgiving; got sick last Christmas on Christmas Day! He has already had it twice this month. I believe that having his tonsils removed now would be beneficial. He can't go through this every year.

BeetDigger
11/22/2006, 01:43 PM

True, you don't want to have surgery and remove parts of the body for no good reason, but recurrent strep causes lots of problems for kids. Missing school, parents missing work, lots of antibiotics, expense of those antibiotics, etc. There's also no promise that you can't get strep just because you take the tonsils, it's just less likely. Also, lots of other bacteria can cause a sore throat, strep just happens to have other potential problems. That's why we worry about strep.

Thanks for the info.

On the removal of body parts front, I had to have the old appendix removed years ago. Strep is awful, but appendicitis attacks are worse, at least to me they were. Up all night puking. After about seven or eight attacks, I finally agreed to go to the doctor.

Norms - sorry to hear about the kid. Keep the chin up.

sanantoniosooner
11/22/2006, 01:45 PM
Hang in there.

It wont be long and he'll be running around the house getting yelled at again.

Widescreen
11/22/2006, 02:03 PM
our dad had his tonsils taken out when he was a kid because his twin brother kept getting sick and his dad said something like "take his out too, while you're at it."
I'm sure you dad was glad your grandfather wasn't still in charge when your uncle decided to have a vasectomy. :eek: