PDA

View Full Version : Frank Murkowski: Uber-Puss

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2006, 02:14 AM
Way to go, Frank. After a term of complete incompetence as the Governor of Alaska, where you've taken unpopular after nonsensical after precaritative stand, you've managed this wonderful bit of statesmanship:

The Alaska Supreme Court recently ruled that the exclusion of benefits to same-sex partners by state agencies (mind you, this is STATE employers, not private employers) was unconstitutional under the Alaska State Constitution.

The Legislature passed in both houses, in an emergency session called by Murkowski, a bill that, in essence, said "nyah nyah, stick it where the sun don't shine, Supreme Court."

Murkowski is now saying that if the bill is forwarded to him, he won't sign or veto it, instead passing it off to the Governor-elect Sarah Palin.

What a tool. If you think the Supreme Court is wrong, sign the bill. If you think they're right, veto it. But don't leave the mess you've created for your successor. The legislature could have handled this just fine in regular session.

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2006, 03:33 AM
Way to go, Frank. After a term of complete incompetence as the Governor of Alaska, where you've taken unpopular after nonsensical after precaritative stand, you've managed this wonderful bit of statesmanship:

The Alaska Supreme Court recently ruled that the exclusion of benefits to same-sex partners by state agencies (mind you, this is STATE employers, not private employers) was unconstitutional under the Alaska State Constitution.

The Legislature passed in both houses, in an emergency session called by Murkowski, a bill that, in essence, said "nyah nyah, stick it where the sun don't shine, Supreme Court."

Murkowski is now saying that if the bill is forwarded to him, he won't sign or veto it, instead passing it off to the Governor-elect Sarah Palin.

What a tool. If you think the Supreme Court is wrong, sign the bill. If you think they're right, veto it. But don't leave the mess you've created for your successor. The legislature could have handled this just fine in regular session.

I agree with everything you have said. I don't know the procedure for amending the Alaska constitution, but I assume this bill doesn't represent a change to the Alaskan constitution which means, in the end, the Supreme Court will simply overturn the law again.

In essence, he not only did everything you just mentioned plus wasted state tax dollars on a worthless emergency session that achieved nothing and at the expense of keeping the legislature in place.

:sigh:

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2006, 11:28 AM
After reflection, I think Frank did this specifically to stick it to Palin as payback for destroying him in the primaries. He's like that. Now she's stuck either signing a bill that's going to **** off half the state or vetoing it-which will **** off the other half.

achiro
11/22/2006, 11:38 AM
After reflection, I think Frank did this specifically to stick it to Palin as payback for destroying him in the primaries. He's like that. Now she's stuck either signing a bill that's going to **** off half the state or vetoing it-which will **** off the other half.
Why not push it off to a vote of the people like most spineless politicians do with subjects they don't have the balls to vote on.;)