PDA

View Full Version : Serious question for kids/pets for christmas.

85Sooner
11/21/2006, 01:16 PM
We have a 14 yr old poodle mix that is starting to slow down. Shes one of those yippy dogs we all dislike. we have had her for so long that we deal with it. She has not in anyway accepted the kids. she just avoids them and growls if they get close.

As of now she just kinda follows me around like a shadow.

I would appreciate answers based on you experience.

We have been thinking of adding a puppy for christmas.
#1. the kids would actually see that dogs are fun to play with.
#2. maybe the older dog will see the new puppy getting attention and finally decide that the kids are okay.

What is your experience. Is this stinkin thinkin or does it make sense.
BTW what kind of dog would you recommend. It will be an indoor dog so that leaves labs or other large dogs out..

Any ideas?

colleyvillesooner
11/21/2006, 01:17 PM
My guess is the old dog will now hate the kids and the puppy.

colleyvillesooner
Pugs are good dogs with kids.

C&CDean
A .22 long rifle behind the dog's left ear would be a great Christmas present for the dog, you, and the kids.

Then, get yourself a couple rat terriers.

You're welcome.

proud gonzo
11/21/2006, 01:18 PM
how old are the kids?

85Sooner
11/21/2006, 01:19 PM
how old are the kids?

one and four

I was thinking a beagle or some kind of terrier, white westie, scottie

achiro
11/21/2006, 01:28 PM
It is a general concensus in the dog world that a puppy on Christmas morning is a bad idea. The kids will be busy with toys(so less attention to the pup) and the noise, excitement, and all the business of Christmas morning can really freak a dog out.

If you want a puppy for Christmas do it a few days before or after. We are picking up a pup in a couple of weeks our-own-selves.

proud gonzo
11/21/2006, 01:31 PM
I'm forseeing problems if the new puppy was really friendly with the kids and they tried to act that way to the old dog who doesnt' appreciate that sort of thing...

I'd be inclined to wait until the old dog kicks off and then buy the puppy to make them feel better when the dog dies...and then they'll be a bit older too and you won't have to worry about how the old dog interacts with the puppy.

GottaHavePride
11/21/2006, 01:48 PM
BTW what kind of dog would you recommend. It will be an indoor dog so that leaves labs or other large dogs out..

Any ideas?

Heh. I'll second the thought that your current dog may not appreciate a new puppy very much.

And as for inside dogs, I know a guy with a German shepherd that is about the most careful inside dog you'll ever see. The house is full of breakable stuff and the dog is very careful not to knock anything over. I know another guy with a Akita as an inside dog - the dog's probably bigger than me.

If you really want smaller, though, you might look at a Welsh Corgi. They're not bad. Or an Australian sheepdog.

PhxSooner
11/21/2006, 01:51 PM
one and four

I was thinking a beagle or some kind of terrier, white westie, scottie
I was checking out puppies a while back, and I do know that beagles aren't considered good dogs for the under 10 group.

skycat
11/21/2006, 02:16 PM
Heh. I'll second the thought that your current dog may not appreciate a new puppy very much.

And as for inside dogs, I know a guy with a German shepherd that is about the most careful inside dog you'll ever see. The house is full of breakable stuff and the dog is very careful not to knock anything over. I know another guy with a Akita as an inside dog - the dog's probably bigger than me.

If you really want smaller, though, you might look at a Welsh Corgi. They're not bad. Or an Australian sheepdog.

I'd say abosultely no on the sheepdog, unless you plan on spending lots of time with it. Any herding dog is going to need to be worked with, or it's going to start herding the kids.

As to getting a new dog, I've got a Border Collie that I've had since I started grad school. Back then I had lots of time to play/train/work with him. He's a great dog, that's good with kids, but... My wife has a dog of her own, he's a good dog too, but he's younger and my dog doesn't like him very much. I'd definetly be careful about introducing a new dog to your family.

85Sooner
11/21/2006, 02:24 PM
I'm forseeing problems if the new puppy was really friendly with the kids and they tried to act that way to the old dog who doesnt' appreciate that sort of thing...

I'd be inclined to wait until the old dog kicks off and then buy the puppy to make them feel better when the dog dies...and then they'll be a bit older too and you won't have to worry about how the old dog interacts with the puppy.

Darnit. my common sense was telling me that but I was hoping for I was wrong. Thanks everyone.

jk the sooner fan
11/21/2006, 02:25 PM
i agree with achiro......dog breeders generally agree that christmas is a bad time of the year for a new pup

fadada1
11/21/2006, 02:26 PM
how about a cougar???

colleyvillesooner
11/21/2006, 02:35 PM
Like a big cat.

What, like a Puma?

There you go.

fadada1
11/21/2006, 02:38 PM
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/3580/chupacabra1od6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

OUHOMER
11/21/2006, 02:48 PM
We have a pug, If you get a pug be ready for dog full of energy. Mine loves kids. but it may be too much for the youngest one

Vaevictis
11/21/2006, 02:59 PM
#2. maybe the older dog will see the new puppy getting attention and finally decide that the kids are okay.

Doubtful. The dog is more likely to get jealous and mistreat the puppy. In my experience, of course.

What is your experience. Is this stinkin thinkin or does it make sense. BTW what kind of dog would you recommend. It will be an indoor dog so that leaves labs or other large dogs out..

IF you have a yard, I'd suggest a collie. I know you said to leave large dogs out, but collies like being indoor dogs as long as you have a yard to let them out into for an hour or so every day.

The good stuff about collies:
1. Very patient animals. Good with kids, good with other animals.
2. Tend not to resort to force (ie, biting) unless absolutely necessary.
3. Aggression generally surfaces only when they feel that something under their protection is threatened. In order, this usually includes the kids, the parents, and other animals.
4. Herding instinct. They will try to keep your kids away from things and people that they perceive as dangerous.

The bad stuff about collies:
1. Large.
2. Hair.
3. As mentioned in #3, there is an order to the protection. The kids will come first. It is rare, but not unheard of, for the dog to "protect" the kids from the parents.
4. Herding instinct. If you get one with a strong herding instinct -- more males than females -- they will try to herd the kids if the kids are running around too much. This sometimes includes light nipping on the heels -- no damage, but it stings like a bitch.

Note that for all "protective" behaviors, the younger the kids, the stronger the behaviors. Collies love kids. To a fault.

Note that shelties are not collies. They look just like them, only smaller -- but they do NOT have the same personality traits.

As always, the most important thing you can do, however, is get a dog that meets your lifestyle (ie, you need an animal that is tolerant of kids and the things they do, and of other animals, can handle a lot of indoor time, maybe some other stuff you haven't mentioned), and whatever you do -- no puppy mills.

Find a registered, reputable breeder. Pay the extra money. Find someone who specializes in whatever breed it is you are getting, who loves the breed, and breeds for behavior as well as the other traits.

Also, remember that sex matters. Male dogs are going to be more aggressive and rambunctious; females are going to have more of the "mother" instinct as they age which, as you have kids, is important.

As for your existing dog, it would be helpful for you to introduce him/her to the new dog in neutral territory. Not in the house, not in the yard. Somewhere that the dog doesn't consider "his/hers".

jk the sooner fan
11/21/2006, 03:00 PM
i introduced a 8 week old golden retriever pup to a 10 year old beagle that was as grouchy as can be

they got along just fine

fadada1
11/21/2006, 03:01 PM
maybe you didn't hear me:

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/3580/chupacabra1od6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BlondeSoonerGirl
11/21/2006, 03:07 PM
What do you feed that thing?

:mack:

Vaevictis
11/21/2006, 03:10 PM
Licorice. The two main ingredients in it are sugar and hate.

TUSooner
11/21/2006, 03:18 PM
Puppy: Good -- depending on the breed, of course. We have a Shih-Tzu that is much better than I ever thought he'd be ... once we had his little Deanies removed, that is.

Old mean yappy dog: See post # 4

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/21/2006, 03:47 PM
I like those yippy, mean poodles... if their dead. Take Deans suggestion. Lead therapy will "cure" it.

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 03:54 PM
Pets for Christmas=bad idea.

JohnnyMack
11/21/2006, 04:05 PM
i introduced a 8 week old golden retriever pup to a 10 year old beagle that was as grouchy as can be

they got along just fine

Sounds like you and me. :D