PDA

View Full Version : I'm cornfused?

achiro
11/21/2006, 12:55 PM
Somebody explain to me this plus 1 game thing. Is it a sure thing already or only if there are a few teams in the mix? If it is a sure thing, who plays who and ends up in that game?

Ash
11/21/2006, 12:58 PM
If you're talking BCS, there's a separate National Championship game this year. Not a true plus one, the 1 and 2 BCS ranked teams play in it. The other traditional bowls (orange, fiesta, rose, etc.) will have other BCS teams.

oklaclarinet
11/21/2006, 12:59 PM
What we have right now is not a plus one situation. What we have is an additional game in the BCS, that being the national title game. The two teams that play in that game do not play in any other bowl game. The other four BCS bowls are filled by eight teams not in the national title game. Those teams are the conference champions (unless they are in the title game) and at large teams from the top 14 in the BCS rankings.

achiro
11/21/2006, 01:03 PM
Ok, this is what I thought but a patient was telling me that it would be the winner of other bowl games.

On another note if it were a true +1 and we played meeechigun, we could seriously content for the nc. That would be cool.:D

yermom
11/21/2006, 01:32 PM
if there was a +1 game, we wouldn't be in the conversation for the BCS right now

Jewstin
11/21/2006, 07:17 PM
I had this same discussion with a friend of mine early in the season ... he swore up and down we had a "plus one" system now, but it's not... at all. A plus one system would mean a re-ranking after the BCS bowls conclude (however many there may be), and based on that revised poll, the #1 and #2 team play for a national title.

In fact, I don't even really understand what the hell this the extra game is supposed to accomplish aside from expanding the BCS bowls, diminishing their overall quality, and bringing in more revenue. I remember hearing about how this was going to help resolve the complexity of the situation, but it hasn't changed a damn thing.

Before long, we'll have 10 BCS bowls, no resemblance of a plus one, but they'll still tell us, "it's a good start."

Even the "plus one" scenario has horrible implications. It becomes a case of teams being required to show finesse and beat the crap out of their opponents ... and with four BCS bowls, two winners STILL get left out, even though they won their BCS bowl. In a situation with numerous 1 or 2 loss teams, this could be terrible.

And we all know what happens when teams have to win by some sort of predetermined "certain amount" to qualify for this, that, or the other ... pressure, choke-jobs, and all the other fun stuff that diminishes the spectacle of college football (ala, when we "had" to beat Washington by 14+ back in the '84 Orange Bowl to be considered a national champion ... and ended up losing by 11).

End rant. =O

Jewstin
11/21/2006, 07:18 PM
Oh, I should add that the addition of the extra game does help us in this year's discussion ... since without it, us, like another team, wouldn't have much to hope for in that regard ...

But it still doesn't change the fact that it, ultimately, doesn't resolve any of the problems the BCS proposes.

OK2LA
11/21/2006, 08:22 PM
This added game is for the Boise State's of the world that complained earlier about being left out of the mix. It opened up ANOTHER BCS bowl, for 2 more teams.