PDA

View Full Version : stupid allergy shots

proud gonzo
11/21/2006, 12:09 PM
my arms are itchy and hurt like hell today :mad:

OUstudent4life
11/21/2006, 12:11 PM
...for things like pollen and stuff?

...cause most docs think now that they don't work very well, if at all.

Just thought I'd let you know. :D;)

OUDoc
11/21/2006, 12:12 PM
my arms are itchy and hurt like hell today :mad:
That's the first sign.
Better call a mortician quick!

proud gonzo
11/21/2006, 12:13 PM
the fact that GHP isn't dead is proof enough for me that they work. and that I wasn't completely miserable with allergies this year.

frankensooner
11/21/2006, 12:20 PM
I took em for a few years, I took my own serum to OU and adminstered them meself! I had some grass allergies and food allergies, after a few years, they retested me and I was only like +1 on a few things so I stopped. They worked for me.

OUstudent4life
11/21/2006, 12:25 PM
It CAN work, it's just rare. Allergy shots try to make your body produce IgG (I think) antibodies (that float around in your blood) to the same things that you have IgE antibodies (the allergy antibodies). The IgG suckers bind and block the IgE antibodies, and therefore the "allergy" responses you get from bound IgE's are stopped.

The problem is, the type of "switching" rarely happens. It can, but it's rare.

frankensooner
11/21/2006, 12:28 PM
I think my daughter outgrew her peanut allergy, I guess the body can heal itself. I have no idea why I went from +4 to +1 on most of my allergies, I did take the serum, but could your body just outgrow the allergies?

proud gonzo
11/21/2006, 01:08 PM
yeah, you can outgrow allergies but mine kept getting worse.

proud gonzo
11/21/2006, 01:09 PM
It CAN work, it's just rare. Allergy shots try to make your body produce IgG (I think) antibodies (that float around in your blood) to the same things that you have IgE antibodies (the allergy antibodies). The IgG suckers bind and block the IgE antibodies, and therefore the "allergy" responses you get from bound IgE's are stopped.

The problem is, the type of "switching" rarely happens. It can, but it's rare.
I don't really care what the shots do or are supposed to do or not do. They help a lot, they just make me mad when my arms are sore.

Mjcpr
11/21/2006, 01:20 PM
Maybe you're allergic to the allergy shots.

proud gonzo
11/21/2006, 01:20 PM
that's kind of the idea... they inject you with stuff you're allergic to :O

slickdawg
11/21/2006, 01:37 PM
yeah, you can outgrow allergies but mine kept getting worse.

I feel your pain.

You keep an Epipen around, right????

proud gonzo
11/21/2006, 01:38 PM
nope, my allergies aren't that bad.

BeetDigger
11/21/2006, 01:58 PM
I hope that it doesn't prevent you from making pies? <fingers crossed>

proud gonzo
11/21/2006, 02:12 PM
hehehe

BajaOklahoma
11/21/2006, 06:34 PM
...cause most docs think now that they don't work very well, if at all.

:D;)

Interesting. My allergist, one of the top guys in the metroplex, still does allergy shots. They do work for some people, not for others. I had a series in my teens and again in my 30s, both helped the asthma, not the sinus.
And my allergist is into research.

soonerboomer93
11/21/2006, 06:47 PM
you can also get drops at the health food stores for items you're alergic too. My mom used them to get over her cat allergy.

proud gonzo
11/21/2006, 06:52 PM
I wouldn't trust that...

Okla-homey
11/21/2006, 07:45 PM
Just be glad you weren't born 100 years ago. Before allergists and allergy therapies, people like you just died...thinning the herd. Now, you'll get to reproduce someday and spread the misery.;)

TUSooner
11/21/2006, 08:17 PM
You're allergic to stupid?

soonerboomer93
11/21/2006, 08:18 PM
same priciple, only you expose yourself in incremental amounts each day with a drop under the tongue

unless you prefer shots of course

BajaOklahoma
11/21/2006, 09:55 PM
Just be glad you weren't born 100 years ago. Before allergists and allergy therapies, people like you just died...thinning the herd. Now, you'll get to reproduce someday and spread the misery.;)

Actually there is a theory out there that porposes that people with allergies have a highly developed and alert immune system. The idea is that pre-antibiotics and good hygiene practices, the people with the highly active immune system are the ones who would been able to fight off diseases and survive.
Unfortunately, it is difficult to turn off these highly developed immune systems now that they aren't needed as much in our "cleaner" world. The immune system is so hyper that is over-reacts to any foreign object, which shows up as allergies.
I have a copy of the article at work. I keep thinking that it will make me feel better - I was just born two hundred years to late.

proud gonzo
11/21/2006, 10:57 PM
same priciple, only you expose yourself in incremental amounts each day with a drop under the tongue

unless you prefer shots of courseyeah, I understand that. I just wouldn't trust the dosage, quality, etc. of something from a health food store. I'm guessing my allergist who has known my family for 20 years and did my allergy testing probably knows a little more about my specific allergies than some random company.

no offense ;)

Mongo
11/21/2006, 11:02 PM
yeah, I understand that. I just wouldn't trust the dosage, quality, etc. of something from a health food store. I'm guessing my allergist who has known my family for 20 years and did my allergy testing probably knows a little more about my specific allergies than some random company.

no offense ;)

Of course he is going to give you the best advice, sounds like you and GHP make his house payment every month

soonerboomer93
11/21/2006, 11:06 PM
yeah, I understand that. I just wouldn't trust the dosage, quality, etc. of something from a health food store. I'm guessing my allergist who has known my family for 20 years and did my allergy testing probably knows a little more about my specific allergies than some random company.

no offense ;)

none taken

GottaHavePride
11/21/2006, 11:09 PM
Of course he is going to give you the best advice, sounds like you and GHP make his house payment every month
Heh. Every allergist I've talked to in OKC knows the guy - he's a big name in his field. Dr. Thom Rosenberg. I highly recommend the guy.

proud gonzo
11/30/2006, 01:15 AM
damn it my arms itch :mad:

BeetDigger
11/30/2006, 01:18 AM
Heh. Every allergist I've talked to in OKC knows the guy - he's a big name in his field. Dr. Thom Rosenberg. I highly recommend the guy.

Is the "h" silent? Because it really bugs me when guys use that spelling.

:les: It's Tom dammit.

proud gonzo
11/30/2006, 01:19 AM
yep, the h is silent.