PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Question (Frozen Signal)

Mjcpr
11/21/2006, 09:39 AM
I have a question for any of you credit card experts. Recently, I've started seeing people present a Visa or MasterCard for payment that has no cardholder name imprinted on the front of the card. These were cards that were (I'm guessing) preloaded; Ace Cash Services or some such was one, the other was from H&R Block so I assume it was the client's refund.

A boss type person refused to accept one of these but I'm thinking that he doesn't really have the option to do so. These were Visa/MasterCard credit cards and they were signed on the back; my opinion was that you're required to accept them if you accept Visa and MasterCard.

Anyone know the rule on these cards? A link to the Visa/MasterCard regulation regarding these prepaid cards would be even better.

TIA :D

sanantoniosooner
11/21/2006, 09:41 AM
They're cool.

I have a drivers license with no name on it also.

NormanPride
11/21/2006, 10:05 AM
My collection of Social Security Numbers with no name is pretty fierce.

Mjcpr
11/21/2006, 10:08 AM
Hmmm.....I can't remember what the Ace Cash Svcs card said but the H&R Block one said "H&R Block Client".

SoonerBorn68
11/21/2006, 10:21 AM
Wouldn't one of those pre paid debit/credit cards basically be a gift card to be used anywhere?

Mjcpr
11/21/2006, 10:27 AM
Wouldn't one of those pre paid debit/credit cards basically be a gift card to be used anywhere?

As far as I can tell, yes, except that it would require a signature on the receipt.

Howzit
11/21/2006, 10:32 AM
I think I've seen these issued by stores as credit for returns/exchanges.

JohnnyMack
11/21/2006, 10:52 AM
I have a question for any of you credit card experts. Recently, I've started seeing people present a Visa or MasterCard for payment that has no cardholder name imprinted on the front of the card. These were cards that were (I'm guessing) preloaded; Ace Cash Services or some such was one, the other was from H&R Block so I assume it was the client's refund.

A boss type person refused to accept one of these but I'm thinking that he doesn't really have the option to do so. These were Visa/MasterCard credit cards and they were signed on the back; my opinion was that you're required to accept them if you accept Visa and MasterCard.

Anyone know the rule on these cards? A link to the Visa/MasterCard regulation regarding these prepaid cards would be even better.

TIA :D

:les:JUST SWIPE MY DAMN CARD AND GIVE ME RAISINETS!!!!! AND NO BUTTER ON MY POPCORN!!!!!!!1

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 11:39 AM
If a shopowner thinks that a card is fraudulent, then he can refuse it.

But yeah, those were gift cards.

Mjcpr
11/21/2006, 12:03 PM
If a shopowner thinks that a card is fraudulent, then he can refuse it.

But yeah, those were gift cards.

How would you know since there is no name imprinted on the card?

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 12:17 PM
How would I know what?

That they were fraudulent? I wouldn't. But the shopowner doesn't have to have proof to decline to take a card on suspicion of fraud.

Osce0la
11/21/2006, 12:19 PM
I had one of these gift cards about a month ago. I think it actually said something about being a gift card on the front if I'm not mistaken.

Mjcpr
11/21/2006, 12:23 PM
How would I know what?

That they were fraudulent? I wouldn't. But the shopowner doesn't have to have proof to decline to take a card on suspicion of fraud.

Yes, how could you be suspicious if there was no name on it to compare sigs, ID or whatever? The card said "H&R Block Client" and was signed on the back by the holder.

It just seems that Visa/MasterCard is expecting merchants to accept these cards if they're going to allow them to be issued as Visa/MasterCard. I was just wondering what regulations/rules they might have regarding this "new" card type.

Thanks for the info.