PDA

View Full Version : Maybe now we go hard for Broyles...

The Consumate Showman
11/21/2006, 12:37 AM
with Tolliver dropping us off his top 2 or 3 list and Travis Lewis going to Nebbish, maybe Stoops and Co. will go a lot harder after Ryan. I am told by some of my friends that are "around" the high school scene in Norman that Ryan's situation could be a lot like Dom Franks last year...hopefully we can make a late push and get him.

KingDavid
11/21/2006, 01:45 AM
with Tolliver dropping us off his top 2 or 3 list and Travis Lewis going to Nebbish, maybe Stoops and Co. will go a lot harder after Ryan. I am told by some of my friends that are "around" the high school scene in Norman that Ryan's situation could be a lot like Dom Franks last year...hopefully we can make a late push and get him.

So Tolliver dropped us? Can't say I'm totally surprised.

Widescreen
11/21/2006, 01:53 AM
Are we damaged goods or what? This is ridiculous.

OklahomaTuba
11/21/2006, 09:30 AM
Someone I know mentioned that the Stoops being unhappy or leaving rumor is really hurting us on the recruiting trail this year. Not sure if that is the main reason, but I guess it could be one of them.

starrca23
11/21/2006, 10:07 AM
I must be behind. Where did this Stoops rumor come from and what is that all about?

The Consumate Showman
11/21/2006, 10:14 AM
Someone I know mentioned that the Stoops being unhappy or leaving rumor is really hurting us on the recruiting trail this year. Not sure if that is the main reason, but I guess it could be one of them.

Whoever started that should be shot. Stoops has a G R A V Y job right now. I would think that coaching at the collegiate level is 1.) a lot less stressful than coaching a pro team and facing constant scruitny from a zealous owner and 2.) you have to deal with grown men and a LOT more egoes than you do in college, and in college, Stoops can dismiss them from the team like Bomar whereas in the pros, you get situations like Parcells ann TO or the Atlanta Falcons HC and Favre when he was first drafted.

Stoops would be S T U P I D for leaving OU now. He has, what, 2 more years and he is guaranteed $3 million? Plus, his '08 recruitng class just might be the absolute BEST he's eer had at OU. If these recruits are buying into this crap about him not being happy, they're just plain dumb. He comes off as not being happy when he does interviews and press conferences, but that's only because he HATES the media, and he's not afraid to show that. Nothing would change if he went pro, and even if he was thinking about it, all he needs do is look at where Butch Davis is now. Butch could've has 2 national championships in his trophy case, but he got greedy and went on to the Browns...what was it 2, 3 years later he is out of coaching and now he is at the "pinnacle" of ACC football at UNC...wow.

For Stoops, taking a probable pay CUT is not going to make him move on the the pros.

OklahomaTuba
11/21/2006, 10:19 AM
I must be behind. Where did this Stoops rumor come from and what is that all about?

No clue where it came from originally, but Dean Blevins has said it more than a few times. He and other people began mentioning it since before the season, right after the Bomar and Quinn thing went down.

If Stoops left for the NFL or another NCAA job, it would be pure stupidity. I fully expect the guy to coach OU for another 10 years and simply retire to coach a high school team.

OklahomaTuba
11/21/2006, 10:22 AM
Whoever started that should be shot. Stoops has a G R A V Y job right now. I would think that coaching at the collegiate level is 1.) a lot less stressful than coaching a pro team and facing constant scruitny from a zealous owner and 2.) you have to deal with grown men and a LOT more egoes than you do in college, and in college, Stoops can dismiss them from the team like Bomar whereas in the pros, you get situations like Parcells ann TO or the Atlanta Falcons HC and Favre when he was first drafted.

Stoops would be S T U P I D for leaving OU now. He has, what, 2 more years and he is guaranteed $3 million? Plus, his '08 recruitng class just might be the absolute BEST he's eer had at OU. If these recruits are buying into this crap about him not being happy, they're just plain dumb. He comes off as not being happy when he does interviews and press conferences, but that's only because he HATES the media, and he's not afraid to show that. Nothing would change if he went pro, and even if he was thinking about it, all he needs do is look at where Butch Davis is now. Butch could've has 2 national championships in his trophy case, but he got greedy and went on to the Browns...what was it 2, 3 years later he is out of coaching and now he is at the "pinnacle" of ACC football at UNC...wow.

For Stoops, taking a probable pay CUT is not going to make him move on the the pros.

I agree, its very stupid, and you can thank Dean "the dream" Blevins for mentioning it on TV, Radio, website, etc.

How the hell Stoops can stand that guy I will never understand.

Nevertheless, it should be a pretty easy rumor to stomp out by the bowl game.

starrca23
11/21/2006, 12:08 PM
It sounds to me like someone else (other schools) is probably using these Blevins sound bites to do negative recruiting. I just don't see Tolliver listening to Deaning Dong very much.

The Consumate Showman
11/21/2006, 01:17 PM
I agree, its very stupid, and you can thank Dean "the dream" Blevins for mentioning it on TV, Radio, website, etc.

How the hell Stoops can stand that guy I will never understand.

Nevertheless, it should be a pretty easy rumor to stomp out by the bowl game.

I think Stoops has to stand him because of conttactual obligations Dean has with the Coaches Show.

OSUAggie
11/21/2006, 01:20 PM
Tolliver had a ton of baggage... OU might've dropped him.

starrca23
11/21/2006, 01:32 PM
Maybe Aggie is right, but we are strong at wide out, either way it isn't a big loss.

KingDavid
11/21/2006, 11:06 PM
Maybe Aggie is right, but we are strong at wide out, either way it isn't a big loss.

So incredibly true. Major depth at WR. I'd say we need to focus on the following positions, in this order:

QB - obvious
DE - losing 3 studs
OL - still not enough depth
LB - losing two, with very little proven talent to spare
DB - by the end of next year we'll lose Wolfe, Williams, Carter, Walker
RB - here's hoping that Demarco shows up next year.
WR or DL - a lot of youth and a considerable amount of depth here.

OklahomaTuba
11/22/2006, 01:27 PM
It sounds to me like someone else (other schools) is probably using these Blevins sound bites to do negative recruiting. I just don't see Tolliver listening to Deaning Dong very much.

Thats what I was getting at.

Now some media people are saying that Stoops is sending "feelers" out for the AZ Cardinals.

Thats not going to help the situation any I don't think.

BASSooner
11/22/2006, 04:20 PM
So incredibly true. Major depth at WR. I'd say we need to focus on the following positions, in this order:

QB - obvious
DE - losing 3 studs
OL - still not enough depth
LB - losing two, with very little proven talent to spareDB - by the end of next year we'll lose Wolfe, Williams, Carter, Walker
RB - here's hoping that Demarco shows up next year.
WR or DL - a lot of youth and a considerable amount of depth here.
We shouldnt worry about OUr LB depth. BV proved that we never have a down year at that position. New guys always come in and step up

The Consumate Showman
11/22/2006, 07:59 PM
We shouldnt worry about OUr LB depth. BV proved that we never have a down year at that position. New guys always come in and step up

I'm tellin' you (I went out to Bishop and watched him play) Ryan Reynolds...look for him to D O M I N A T E.

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2006, 08:25 PM
^^

Agreed. Think about how good our LB play has been of late. Then realize that Ryan Reynolds was considered a BIG loss to our LB corps for this year when he got hurt.

He's a fuggin' maniac.

KingDavid
11/22/2006, 09:06 PM
^^

Agreed. Think about how good our LB play has been of late. Then realize that Ryan Reynolds was considered a BIG loss to our LB corps for this year when he got hurt.

He's a fuggin' maniac.

That's a good pick for stardom, for sure.

The Consumate Showman
11/22/2006, 11:06 PM
Plus, DeMarrio will be, what, a senior, right? (he's playing with a broke hand right now) and Curtis Lofton looks to be a great steal from Kingfisher and is playing much better, and earlier, than I thought he would. Also, remember, we have another good backup in Lamont Robinson and a JUCO S T U D coing in with Reed. Box should red-shirt and be ready for action in '08.

starrca23
11/22/2006, 11:26 PM
When was the last year we didn't have good linebackers? We even had good ones during the Shnelly days. My personal favorite is the underrated (not by OU fans) Dante (not danta) Jones. Didin't he play for da Bears for a while?

starrca23
11/22/2006, 11:27 PM
Oh, just think if we were still gonna get C. Pattertson! Not that we need him a whole lot.

Frozen Sooner
11/23/2006, 12:07 AM
Plus, DeMarrio will be, what, a senior, right? (he's playing with a broke hand right now) and Curtis Lofton looks to be a great steal from Kingfisher and is playing much better, and earlier, than I thought he would. Also, remember, we have another good backup in Lamont Robinson and a JUCO S T U D coing in with Reed. Box should red-shirt and be ready for action in '08.

You know, jkm pointed something out to me.

Lofton's a sophomore. I don't generally question the coaches on redshirting decisions, but that's one year of eligibility I wish we had back. I don't recall him doing anything but special teams last year.

Scott D
11/23/2006, 01:59 AM
he (Lofton) played a handful of plays last season when Latimer was in and out during games because of his shoulder problem.

colleyvillesooner
11/23/2006, 03:07 AM
Didn't the same thing happen with Renyolds? I know he got into some games, but nothing worth wasting a year, I don't believe. I guess he medicaled this year?

Scott D
11/23/2006, 09:35 PM
Nah wouldn't be a medical, would be a standard redshirt for Reynolds.

colleyvillesooner
11/23/2006, 10:43 PM
yeah, I wasn't thinking straight that late at night. :D

snp
11/26/2006, 03:33 PM
Oh, just think if we were still gonna get C. Pattertson! Not that we need him a whole lot.

I'm not even sure he's real at this point.

Beef
11/26/2006, 05:07 PM
I'm not even sure he's real at this point.
The chupacabra is real. Fear him.

FourKings
11/30/2006, 10:21 AM
I dont think its too tough to find good LB's, OL-DL seems a lot tougher to find, they seem to be either animals or roster fillers, why is that some of the biggest guys walking the planet have no heart or drive? I just dont get that, guys actually quitting with the size and talent they have, kills me man.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/1/2006, 11:38 AM
Blevins is such a whore...One of these days his 70% or 40% saying is going to be right...No one will remember that he has been saying it like for eleventymillion years, they'll remember he said it that one time and he is an insider genious...

I don't think Stoops et al like Deano...Check out the Wilson statement and you'll probably get an idea...

stoopified
12/4/2006, 12:00 PM
I must be behind. Where did this Stoops rumor come from and what is that all about?Blevins,Tramel.Traber have all mentioned that Bob might be having problems that would cause him to leave.The problems according to the aforementioned OUTSTANDING :D sports journalists stems from Bob's poor relations with the media.In other words THEY are gonna run him off.That was a crock a month anda half ago and still is.The media overates their power and scope of influence.Bob will be here IMHO at least 7-8 more years.

starrca23
12/4/2006, 12:13 PM
Interesting. I guess I don't understand why they would want to. Probably because he doesn't kiss up to the media. I wonder how long Dean will be on the Stoops show?

BASSooner
12/5/2006, 07:21 PM
I dont think its too tough to find good LB's, OL-DL seems a lot tougher to find, they seem to be either animals or roster fillers, why is that some of the biggest guys walking the planet have no heart or drive? I just dont get that, guys actually quitting with the size and talent they have, kills me man.
We've had no problem finding these guys at all. Granger is turning into a mosnter, cory bennet is great, coleman is great, and McCoy is going to be a stud.

Collier11
12/5/2006, 07:52 PM
We've had no problem finding these guys at all. Granger is turning into a mosnter, cory bennet is great, coleman is great, and McCoy is going to be a stud.

I wouldnt say great though they all have potential to be great...just sayin

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/6/2006, 08:54 PM
I am doing my part to recruit him....I keep sending him messages on facebook, and he actually replies.

Scott D
12/6/2006, 08:56 PM
I am doing my part to recruit him....I keep sending him messages on facebook, and he actually replies.

if that isn't a grey area I don't know what is...actually it's such a dark grey area, I wouldn't know where to begin.

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/6/2006, 09:16 PM
It was grey

KingDavid
12/6/2006, 09:39 PM
Im not being annoying about it. Here is an example...

"Hey Ryan, you are a young man and could really use a rare talent like me. I hope you come here and help me with my loneliness. I know that a stranger might not have any say in where you go, but I look forward to seeing you in the future."

FIXED.:D

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/6/2006, 09:45 PM
FIXED.:D

That wasn't funny

Scott D
12/6/2006, 10:35 PM
Im not being annoying about it. Here is an example...

"Hey Ryan, OU is a young team and could really use a rare talent like yourself. I hope you come here and help them win a national championship. I know that a stranger might not have any say in where you go, but I wish you luck in in whatever you do and I look forward to seeing you in the future."

It's not about it being annoying, it's about it being illegal according to the NCAA.

KingDavid
12/6/2006, 10:38 PM
That wasn't funny

c'mon Boomer. Lighten up, bro.;)

Collier11
12/7/2006, 12:36 AM
That wasn't funny

First off, it was very funny IMO!! Also, it is kind of wierd that you are talking to a hs kid through facebook that you dont even know, im pretty sure that he doesnt need anymore help deciding where he will go

birddog
12/7/2006, 01:49 AM
i guess i just don't see the problem with him saying hi to the guy.

Seamus
12/7/2006, 05:07 AM
It's not about it being annoying, it's about it being illegal according to the NCAA.

Gotta agree with Scott on this one. Any benefits, implied or otherwise -- even manlove -- could result in a serious spanking, either by Brad or the NCAA :D

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/7/2006, 11:42 AM
First off, it was very funny IMO!! Also, it is kind of wierd that you are talking to a hs kid through facebook that you dont even know, im pretty sure that he doesnt need anymore help deciding where he will go

Call it whatever you want, I don't care.

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/7/2006, 11:43 AM

Are you going to turn me in?
;)

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/7/2006, 11:46 AM
Anyway, enough crapping on a thread, I am not going to apologize for sending him a message telling him good luck.

I think most people would tell him hi if they were to see him on the street. I however, live forever away and don't have that ability.

Collier11
12/7/2006, 12:42 PM
Call it whatever you want, I don't care.

Just giving you a hard time, dont fret young fella!!

Rhino
12/7/2006, 05:40 PM
Say hi to him. Leave our school's name out of it.

Scott D
12/7/2006, 07:34 PM
Anyway, enough crapping on a thread, I am not going to apologize for sending him a message telling him good luck.

I think most people would tell him hi if they were to see him on the street. I however, live forever away and don't have that ability.

saying hi is one thing, an implied attempt to influence his recruiting decision is a major no no. It's the kind of thing that sends the NCAA snooping with a big stick.

Collier11
12/7/2006, 08:31 PM

I thought all you were doing was saying hi??? Doesnt sound like it, all we are saying is be smart

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/7/2006, 08:58 PM
Okay guys you made your point, thanks

Go ahead and contact the ncaa and tattle on me if that would make you feel better.

Scott D
12/7/2006, 09:29 PM
I'm sure Ryno from gopokes.com or whatever it is that he spews his drivel has probably already saved every post you made in his efforts to bring down the evil 'gooner empire' and make Oklahoma safe for pokes everywhere.

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/7/2006, 09:52 PM
Ok guys please let this be the end of this.... Here are the two messages I sent him. I had no idea about ncaa infractions... etc. I am about 100% positive that this is being blown way out of proportion. I never mentioned OU...
Anyone else want to pile on ?

Me

"Hey Ryan, I watched your high school video clip. You have a bright future ahead of you"

Him

Thanks man

Me

I have no idea where you are going for school, but I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you on the field very soon (hopefully close to home)

Him

haha

these were direct cut and paste

Collier11
12/7/2006, 10:01 PM
It is taken way too far I think...I was just trying to be a smart *** but im not coming down on you so dont think that

Scott D
12/7/2006, 10:11 PM
Rhino and I are just saying 'be careful' in what you say to a potential recruit. There are people that would love to use it against OU as a recruiting violation if they could. No reason to give them any ammo if you know what I mean.

KingDavid
12/7/2006, 11:56 PM
Time to delete this thread and shred all the evidence.;)

usmc-sooner
12/7/2006, 11:56 PM
Rhino and I are just saying 'be careful' in what you say to a potential recruit. There are people that would love to use it against OU as a recruiting violation if they could. No reason to give them any ammo if you know what I mean.

you have absolutely got to be kidding me

this is what makes message boards so fun, at some point some of you guys lose it.

NCAA hearing

we have message board confirmation from Scott D. and Rhino of illegal mesage board enticements :rolleyes:

for the love of everyone not playing Dungeons and Dragons tell me you are not serious.

CatfishSooner
12/8/2006, 12:47 AM
haha ridiculous ... like it REALLY matters!

Scott D
12/8/2006, 08:44 AM
you have absolutely got to be kidding me

this is what makes message boards so fun, at some point some of you guys lose it.

NCAA hearing

we have message board confirmation from Scott D. and Rhino of illegal mesage board enticements :rolleyes:

for the love of everyone not playing Dungeons and Dragons tell me you are not serious.

They'd crack down on coaches text messaging players if they could find a way. We had a discussion on this kind of stuff last year, clearly you missed it.

usmc-sooner
12/8/2006, 09:49 AM
They'd crack down on coaches text messaging players if they could find a way. We had a discussion on this kind of stuff last year, clearly you missed it.

clearly, I think its retarded. Show me one case of someone saying hi (although I wouldn't do it) on facebook has drawn NCAA infractions.

Reggie Bush was getting paid, we had Bomar and Quinn and BRS&I, and you think they're going to geek out over that?

I'm sure someone's going to say the reason I chose OU is because I got a message from BoomerBradley or #1Soonerman.

If this was the case you'd have OSU fans sending messages as OU fans, OU/TX fans sending out bogus crap.

Mjcpr
12/8/2006, 09:51 AM

I'm thinking the coach of the team and a message board geek are looked at differently by the NCAA, no?

Scott D
12/8/2006, 10:54 AM
clearly, I think its retarded. Show me one case of someone saying hi (although I wouldn't do it) on facebook has drawn NCAA infractions.

Reggie Bush was getting paid, we had Bomar and Quinn and BRS&I, and you think they're going to geek out over that?

I'm sure someone's going to say the reason I chose OU is because I got a message from BoomerBradley or #1Soonerman.

If this was the case you'd have OSU fans sending messages as OU fans, OU/TX fans sending out bogus crap.

I think it's retarded too, but then again I think that about 65% of what the NCAA does and looks for is retarded as well. Bush getting paid may yet be the herring that sends Pete Carroll back to the NFL, the Bomar thing mainly looks so bad because it's on the heels of Kelvin's infractions.

The cardinal sin with the NCAA however is any sort of impropriety regarding recruiting. They may look at it and take it seriously, they may look at it and disregard it, the problem is that this kind of stuff is so new, that nobody knows how they would react to it.

Nobody is saying you can't say 'hi' to the kid, the thing is that if you're gonna do it, don't mention whatever school you happen to be a fan of, that's all.

Scott D
12/8/2006, 10:55 AM
I'm thinking the coach of the team and a message board geek are looked at differently by the NCAA, no?

a 'message board geek' could be looked at under two different perspectives by them..a 'Friend of the Program' or a 'Booster'.

Mjcpr
12/8/2006, 11:05 AM
a 'message board geek' could be looked at under two different perspectives by them..a 'Friend of the Program' or a 'Booster'.

Provable in what way? If it was that easy, like someone said earlier, you'd have fans of rival teams posting as "friends of the program/boosters" just to get them in trouble.

Scott D
12/8/2006, 11:16 AM
Provable in what way? If it was that easy, like someone said earlier, you'd have fans of rival teams posting as "friends of the program/boosters" just to get them in trouble.

I really don't know how they'd prove it. I just know that I don't trust the NCAA.

TripleOption14
12/8/2006, 11:42 AM
Not to jump in your guys bidness or convo. but..... be VERY careful with that facebook crap. Its not so much dangerous for outsiders but for the individuals whom the acct. belongs to it could be trouble. It can be very incriminating for the athletes. I think in the near future they will have to make a decision on facebook and myspace. Its getting ridiculous with all the stuff you can do on those sites. I had to stop using my facebook because of my internship and GA position. Not worth the risk.

Echoes
12/8/2006, 02:13 PM
I really think this is being blown out of proportion guys...

First of all, there is no way that the NCAA would even consider jumping on Bradley because of this. I know the NCAA is a bunch of Nazi's to put it lightly, but still.. come on now

I know that I have done the same thing in the past with one of my buddies who is committed to OU.. I have often times said things like

"I don't want to have to beat you up, so just committ to OU" or things like that, just joking around. Now granted it was in real life and I knew the guy, but the circumstances are pretty much the same. I was 'helping' recruit for OU.

If Bradley sent the guy a message on facebook, I am guessing that he has him on his 'friends' list, so it could be considered just as much friends as me and Box was..

Just don't worry about it, I am sure he will be more careful with it in the future, but even if he isn't.. There is no need to worry.

Seamus
12/8/2006, 02:42 PM
Jeez, there's enough hermetic sphincters on this thread to squeeze South Africa out of the diamond business.

Everyone take a week off Starbucks, now.

jccouger
12/19/2006, 12:30 PM
We are seriuosly going to regret not going hard after Broyles...