PDA

View Full Version : I am the greatest calculus tutor of all time!

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 10:12 PM
So, yeah, I've been tutoring this girl who's a senior at UAA in business calc all semester. Mind you, it's been 15 years since I last took calc one.

At the beginning of the semester, she was having massive problems with x^0=1 and x(x)(x)=x^3 and (1)(x)=x.

I am proud to announce that after her second mid-term, she is sitting at a solid 93 in the class.

OUAndy1807
11/20/2006, 10:16 PM
Calculus or business calculus?

Jimminy Crimson
11/20/2006, 10:18 PM
Link to her Facebook or MySpace page?

TIA!

Frozen Sooner
Well, business calc. F all them trig functions, mang!

I don't think you understand the magnitude of the mountain I was climbing here. We're talking someone who didn't have a firm grasp on algebra.

SoonerInKCMO
How can she have 2 mid-terms? :confused:

SoonerInKCMO
11/20/2006, 10:19 PM
She's hot, ain't she?

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 10:20 PM
How can she have 2 mid-terms? :confused:

Don't know about you, but I had a bunch of math-type classes that had two mid-terms.

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 10:20 PM
She's hot, ain't she?

Yes

GottaHavePride
11/20/2006, 10:21 PM
Way to go, Froze.

Dammit. I mean Mike.

1stTimeCaller
11/20/2006, 10:21 PM
you dummy. pie are round, cornbread are square.

I got < nothing

OUHOMER
11/20/2006, 10:32 PM
(x)(x)

royalfan5
11/20/2006, 10:41 PM
you dummy. pie are round, cornbread are square.

I got < nothing
round cornbread>Square cornbread in my experience

sanantoniosooner
11/20/2006, 10:43 PM
Why would we trust a NU fan on any subject related to this?

royalfan5
11/20/2006, 10:46 PM
Why would we trust a NU fan on any subject related to this?
You don't think we have plenty of cornbread in state that grows as much corn as we do?

sanantoniosooner
11/20/2006, 10:49 PM
interesting.

How could I have overlooked that?:rolleyes:

;)

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 10:51 PM
Yeah, right. Like Nebraskans have figured out such high-tech concepts as the mill yet.

:D

sanantoniosooner
11/20/2006, 10:53 PM
My brother has informed me that sarcasm is the most evil form of humor more than once.

royalfan5
11/20/2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah, right. Like Nebraskans have figured out such high-tech concepts as the mill yet.

:D
Considering one of the nations biggest milling concerns is from Nebraska, I'd say we mastered it quite well.

sanantoniosooner
11/20/2006, 10:55 PM
Nebraska lost it's sense of humor when they got rid of Solich.

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 10:57 PM
Apparently so. Sheesh.

And I'll bet that milling concern is run by Iowans. :D

SoonerInKCMO
11/20/2006, 10:59 PM
Considering one of the nations biggest milling concerns is from Nebraska, I'd say we mastered it quite well.

Meh. ConAgra is pwn3d by Cargill. :D

royalfan5
11/20/2006, 11:03 PM
Nebraska lost it's sense of humor when they got rid of Solich.
You don't joke about Corn with Nebraskans, it isn't a joking matter to us.

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 11:04 PM
How many types of corn are there?

Meallions!

Yeah, OK, I can see why you wouldn't want to joke about corn.

royalfan5
11/20/2006, 11:05 PM
Meh. ConAgra is pwn3d by Cargill. :D
Yep, but just consider all the ethanol plants in Nebraska which are at their heart a mill, plus Bunge's and Frito-Lay's operations in-state. Nebraska mills a lot of corn, and we do it quite well.

hurricane'bone
11/20/2006, 11:09 PM
Well, business calc. F all them trig functions, mang!

I don't think you understand the magnitude of the mountain I was climbing here. We're talking someone who didn't have a firm grasp on algebra.

Do you have a firm grasp on her mountains?

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 11:10 PM
Do you have a firm grasp on her mountains?
no

ultimatesooner1
11/20/2006, 11:29 PM
damn, I had calc 1-4 and don't remember any of it

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 11:31 PM
It's amazing how much of it comes back. I took Calc 1-4, Linear, and Engine I. There's no way in hell I could do most of it if you asked me, but give me a few minutes with the textbook and I'm good.

No, the textbook doesn't have a hole in it.

hurricane'bone
11/20/2006, 11:36 PM
no

pfft.

Then you didn't teach her the quotient rule the right way.

Paperclip
11/20/2006, 11:38 PM
You don't joke about Corn with Nebraskans, it isn't a joking matter to us.

You call it corn. We call it maize.

(You must be at least 35 to get that reference.)

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 11:43 PM
pfft.

Then you didn't teach her the quotient rule the right way.

Heh. Nice. Actually, believe it or not, she's rock-solid on the product and quotient rule. In fact, I made her derive the quotient rule from the product rule so she'd remember them. :D

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 11:45 PM
You call it corn. We call it maize.

(You must be at least 35 to get that reference.)
I
AM
CORNHOLIO!

And I'm 32.

Paperclip
11/20/2006, 11:52 PM
Well, except that Beavis wasn't the first to say that. He was referencing the same earlier event I was.

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 11:55 PM
References that predate Beavis and Butthead are invalid. :mad:

soonerboomer93
11/21/2006, 12:36 AM
Have you solved for Y yet?

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 12:37 AM
Yes.

Unfortunately, for me y is always (-1)^(1/2).

Ike
11/21/2006, 12:57 AM
Do you have a firm grasp on her mountains?no

then you cannot make the claim that you are the greatest calc tutor of all time. The evidence just does not support that claim

;)

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2006, 01:01 AM
Mike,
You want a real challenge you should try to teach ME calculus. The reaction of every math teacher I've ever had has been, "Well thank God you're going into politics..."

I seriously can not do simple algebra. I did okay in geometry, but my guess is that I've forgotten every bit of that. Math is just way beyond my ability to comprehend or understand.

Ike
11/21/2006, 01:15 AM
Mike,
You want a real challenge you should try to teach ME calculus. The reaction of every math teacher I've ever had has been, "Well thank God you're going into politics..."

I seriously can not do simple algebra. I did okay in geometry, but my guess is that I've forgotten every bit of that. Math is just way beyond my ability to comprehend or understand.

If that was the reaction of your math teachers, then they should be shot. People should not be allowed to go into politics without a firm grasp of mathematics. It only makes it easier for loonies to hoodwink them.

And if I ever hear of you running for office and citing "fuzzy math", I'm going to demand that you prove it.

Oh, and I'll teach ya some calc if you can send some of that money you pulled from the credit card scam you ran :D

OCUDad
11/21/2006, 01:41 AM
(politicans) + (math) = (the public) - (money)

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2006, 01:41 AM
If that was the reaction of your math teachers, then they should be shot. People should not be allowed to go into politics without a firm grasp of mathematics. It only makes it easier for loonies to hoodwink them.

And if I ever hear of you running for office and citing "fuzzy math", I'm going to demand that you prove it.

Oh, and I'll teach ya some calc if you can send some of that money you pulled from the credit card scam you ran :D

It reminds me somewhat of taking driving lessons. I took them from this black fellow in Muskogee who has taught a major portion of that city how to drive over the years. Well, he told us all the first day of class, "I've never met a kid I couldn't teach to drive." On the last day of class he said, "I'm sorry I just can't teach you how to drive. I'll tell you what..you tell me what kind of car you'll be driving so when I see it I can get myself off the road and just let you safely pass."

Anyway, surely a truly excellent politician would know his or her limitations and choose the very best mathematicians to delegate number solving mombojumbo to.

Ike
11/21/2006, 01:48 AM
It reminds me somewhat of taking driving lessons. I took them from this black fellow in Muskogee who has taught a major portion of that city how to drive over the years. Well, he told us all the first day of class, "I've never met a kid I couldn't teach to drive." On the last day of class he said, "I'm sorry I just can't teach you how to drive. I'll tell you what..you tell me what kind of car you'll be driving so when I see it I can get myself off the road and just let you safely pass."

Anyway, surely a truly excellent politician would know his or her limitations and choose the very best mathematicians to delegate number solving mombojumbo to.

The problem with that line of thinking is twofold. 1) Mathematicians are smart people. In such a position, some might be inclined to cook the numbers such that you hear what you wanted to hear in the first place, thus ensuring their job security. 2) Mathematicians are smart people. Some of them have agendas. They might try to sell you on something and show you that the math "proves" it knowing that you have no clue what they have just proven.

If you can't even understand the math at a basic level (like algebra and calc) it would be easy to be taken in by bad math.

Vaevictis
11/21/2006, 07:00 AM
I never bothered learning the quotient rule. I just rewrite as a negative exponent and use the product rule.

If she ever starts having issues with remembering all of the trigonometric derivatives and anti-derivatives, Euler's is the way to go.

Remembering the derivative and anti-derivative of tangent is hard. But the summation of several exponentials? Easy. :)

Vaevictis
11/21/2006, 07:02 AM

If you don't know how to analyze numbers on at least a basic level, you'll end up having to put an awful lot of trust in an awful lot of people doing the data compilation and analysis for you.

At that point, they're the man behind the curtain, so to speak.

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 11:42 AM
I never bothered learning the quotient rule. I just rewrite as a negative exponent and use the product rule.

If she ever starts having issues with remembering all of the trigonometric derivatives and anti-derivatives, Euler's is the way to go.

Remembering the derivative and anti-derivative of tangent is hard. But the summation of several exponentials? Easy. :)

That's the beautiful thing about business calc-no trig functions. At all.

Ike
11/21/2006, 11:49 AM
That's the beautiful thing about business calc-no trig functions. At all.

and they get away with having the word calculus in the title?

yermom
11/21/2006, 11:55 AM
and they get away with having the word calculus in the title?

heh.

no wonder so many technical majors end up in business ;)

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 11:55 AM
I thought the same thing, but hey-they integrate and take derivatives and stuff. Just not of trig functions.

I'm not sure why the powers that be decided at some point that people with business degrees wouldn't need to know about trig functions.

royalfan5
11/21/2006, 11:57 AM
I thought the same thing, but hey-they integrate and take derivatives and stuff. Just not of trig functions.

I'm not sure why the powers that be decided at some point that people with business degrees wouldn't need to know about trig functions.
I know, I come across triangles in my ag econ stuff all the time, but I don't know what to do with them.

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 11:59 AM
Give 'em to someone who took a real calculus class? ;)

No, seriously, I would think that the sin and cos functions would be of particular interest to economists. That, in fact, is why I took the full calc series instead of just doing the business math sequence.

Vaevictis
11/21/2006, 12:17 PM
I know, I come across triangles in my ag econ stuff all the time, but I don't know what to do with them.

You don't worry about trig functions because of triangles. You worry about them because they're periodic. Any periodic function can be expressed as a summation of sines and cosines.

Do you not have any economic behavior in agriculture which is cyclical?

(or were you being serious? My sarcasm detector is so f*cked up.)

royalfan5
11/21/2006, 12:29 PM
You don't worry about trig functions because of triangles. You worry about them because they're periodic. Any periodic function can be expressed as a summation of sines and cosines.

Do you not have any economic behavior in agriculture which is cyclical?

(or were you being serious? My sarcasm detector is so f*cked up.)
I was kidding. All agriculture is cyclical, which is why were are going to have 4 dollar corn next year, and Dean will be getting bunch less for his cattle.

Vaevictis
11/21/2006, 12:30 PM
All agriculture is cyclical, which is why were are going to have 4 dollar corn next year, and Dean will be getting bunch less for his cattle.

Yeah, I figured, which is why my reaction was approximately :confused:

royalfan5
11/21/2006, 12:30 PM
Give 'em to someone who took a real calculus class? ;)

No, seriously, I would think that the sin and cos functions would be of particular interest to economists. That, in fact, is why I took the full calc series instead of just doing the business math sequence.
I just a pretend economist, I just sit there and make up hypothesis about why the breakfast cereal industry operates above constant returns to scale, and try to avoid quasi-rents.

Vaevictis
11/21/2006, 12:37 PM
constant returns to scale, and try to avoid quasi-rents.

You know what I love about specialized professions?

All the bull**** terms they make up to complicate matters, just so people not in the profession can't understand what the **** is going on.

(Engineers do this too. ;) )

royalfan5
11/21/2006, 12:39 PM
You know what I love about specialized professions?

All the bull**** terms they make up to complicate matters, just so people not in the profession can't understand what the **** is going on.

(Engineers do this too. ;) )
So do people in finance.

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 03:27 PM
I just a pretend economist, I just sit there and make up hypothesis about why the breakfast cereal industry operates above constant returns to scale, and try to avoid quasi-rents.

Admit it, you just made all that up. :D

royalfan5
11/21/2006, 04:12 PM
Admit it, you just made all that up. :D
I wish I had, but the breakfast cereal part was a question on my strategic issues in Agribusiness Midterm.

IB4OU2
11/21/2006, 04:22 PM
I wish I had, but the breakfast cereal part was a question on my strategic issues in Agribusiness Midterm.

Wow! Not any "How do you make a cornflake?" questions?

BeetDigger
11/21/2006, 04:25 PM

heh. If only you knew who I work for. We don't make breakfast cereal however.

royalfan5
11/21/2006, 04:29 PM
Wow! Not any "How do you make a cornflake?" questions?
Nope, lots of game theory though.

royalfan5
11/21/2006, 04:30 PM
heh. If only you knew who I work for. We don't make breakfast cereal however.
Is it evil incarnate, ADM?

BeetDigger
11/21/2006, 04:33 PM
Is it evil incarnate, ADM?

That is your only guess and the answer is NO.

Ike
11/21/2006, 04:41 PM
Nope, lots of game theory though.

So you studied by playing NCAA Football 2006 for days on end then?

royalfan5
11/21/2006, 04:43 PM
So you studied by playing NCAA Football 2006 for days on end then?
Not quite, I did decide I hate John Nash though.:twinkies:

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 09:13 PM
I always just wrote "Prisoner's Dilemma" whenever they asked me a game theory question. Seemed to work out OK.

AHHHH! I just had a Nash Equilibria flashback! GUNS! BUTTER! ISOQUANTS!

royalfan5
11/21/2006, 09:21 PM
I always just wrote "Prisoner's Dilemma" whenever they asked me a game theory question. Seemed to work out OK.

AHHHH! I just had a Nash Equilibria flashback! GUNS! BUTTER! ISOQUANTS!
I had to do game theory with dairy production options. I realized I may have overreached when the Ag Econ grad student did something way simpler.

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 09:23 PM
I had to do game theory with dairy production options. I realized I may have overreached when the Ag Econ grad student did something way simpler.

LaGrange multipliers!

royalfan5
11/21/2006, 09:30 PM
LaGrange multipliers!
Perhaps if I had learned what those were it would have worked easier.

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 09:31 PM
Heh. Actually, LaGrange multipliers are VERY handy for finding Nash equilibria.

My Intermediate Price Theory professor showed us how to do it-except most of the people in the class had gone through business calc, and LaGrange multipliers aren't covered until Calc IV.

That guy was awesome. Full Ph.D in Econ at age 23.

royalfan5
11/21/2006, 09:40 PM

My Intermediate Price Theory professor showed us how to do it-except most of the people in the class had gone through business calc, and LaGrange multipliers aren't covered until Calc IV.

There in lies the problem, I skipped straight into Graduate level ag econ, and have to figure it out on the fly.

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 09:45 PM
Yeah, that'd be tough.

royalfan5
11/21/2006, 09:49 PM
Yeah, that'd be tough.
Apparently at UNL, prereqs are for undergrads/and or suckers. They give grad students a lot of leeway in scheduling.

BeetDigger
11/21/2006, 11:34 PM

Here is the CV of the professor that taught my microecon class in b-school. Made full professor at age 28 and then a chaired professor position at about 31. At some schools that is over the top greatness. At Chicago, that is unheard of.

GSB Faculty (http://gsbportal.chicagogsb.edu/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_321_215_0_43/http%3B/gsbportal.chicagogsb.edu/Facultycourse/Portlet/FacultyDetail.aspx?&min_year=20064&max_year=20073&person_id=406066&lastName=&firstName=&selFields=MICI&src=FacultyList.aspx&search=True)

RacerX
11/21/2006, 11:48 PM

Damn Straight.

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2006, 12:07 AM
Here is the CV of the professor that taught my microecon class in b-school. Made full professor at age 28 and then a chaired professor position at about 31. At some schools that is over the top greatness. At Chicago, that is unheard of.

GSB Faculty (http://gsbportal.chicagogsb.edu/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_321_215_0_43/http%3B/gsbportal.chicagogsb.edu/Facultycourse/Portlet/FacultyDetail.aspx?&min_year=20064&max_year=20073&person_id=406066&lastName=&firstName=&selFields=MICI&src=FacultyList.aspx&search=True)

That's the kind of person I always wanted to grow up to be. Notice whose senatorial staff he was on?

GottaHavePride
11/22/2006, 12:32 AM
Wait, how did this thread veer off track from a thread about a girl with "yooge tracts o' land" to a thread about math geekery?

(thus spake the guy that went all the way through calc 4 and diff-eq before deciding math was boring as hell.)

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2006, 12:33 AM
Econ geekery, actually. It's just tangentially involved calculus.

GottaHavePride
11/22/2006, 12:35 AM
Heh. I have still never taken an econ class. ever.

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2006, 12:37 AM
I always thought that LaGrange multipliers should involve really long beards and spinning guitars.

GottaHavePride
11/22/2006, 12:38 AM
Now that's something I can agree with.

royalfan5
11/22/2006, 01:31 AM
I always thought that LaGrange multipliers should involve really long beards and spinning guitars.
My cousins were born in LaGrange, would that make my Aunt a Lagrange Multiplier?

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2006, 01:33 AM
Does she have a long beard and spinning guitar?

Because if so, COOLEST AUNT EVAR!

royalfan5
11/22/2006, 01:35 AM
Does she have a long beard and spinning guitar?

Because if so, COOLEST AUNT EVAR!
No, but she can kill snakes with a hoe like none other.

Ike
11/22/2006, 02:41 AM
If you had learned about them in a physics class (as I did), they would have. :D

BeetDigger
11/22/2006, 10:04 AM
That's the kind of person I always wanted to grow up to be. Notice whose senatorial staff he was on?

Yes, he did not speak about it however. He taught theory through the use of Simpsons espisodes.

Here is another star at the school. I did not take his class. Too many great profs, too little time. Rajan (http://chicagogsb.edu/news/2006-01-13_rajan.aspx)

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2006, 11:32 AM
If you had learned about them in a physics class (as I did), they would have. :D

*sigh*

I really should have been either a physicist or an engineer.

Ike
11/22/2006, 02:10 PM
*sigh*

I really should have been either a physicist or an engineer.

heh. Speaking of long beards (and spinning guitars if you want)...I got an email from the OU mass mailer a few weeks ago that this month is "no-shave november", and that the SPS (society of physics students) is taking its annual "Jim Hicks Memorial Beard Contest" campus wide. (note, that Jim Hicks is not dead, he's just left OU...He was a grad student with me...but he was known for the zz-topish beard...and for making sure that physics always included guitars and beer)

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2006, 02:15 PM
Yep. I definitely should have been a physicist.

I am SO going back to school and adding some degrees later.

SoonerInKCMO
11/22/2006, 02:46 PM
Yo, Beet - when did you go to B-School? Did you know an Emily T.? I 'know' her through various innerweb boards.... 'interesting' young lady. ;)