PDA

View Full Version : OU/Memphis Aftermath

snp
11/20/2006, 05:48 PM
For anyone who doesn't want to wade through 6 pages to find out what happened.

My thoughts:

Turnovers seemed to really hurt us. I can't find a number, but I'd imagine it was a lot. Memphis gave the ball away as well, which kept us in the game the first half, but they played pretty mistake free the second half and pulled away.

Johnson showed some greatness in the first half and went cold the second. Neal was the opposite. Good

Memphis was too big for us. They were manhandling L2.

I liked what I saw in Crocker and Moose. They look to be solid contributors. Moose has to keep his fouls down and Crocker should get some more PT.

Rick Majerus is fat.

NormanPride
11/20/2006, 05:55 PM
We shot terribly for the game. I heard that it was better in the second half, but shooting 35% is terrible. Add that onto the turnovers and this game should have been much worse. What kept us in it? The team never gave up, and everyone was working as hard as possible (from what it sounded like on the radio). With some more time in the system and with each other, the turnovers should decrease. Memphis is also pretty dang good. :)

snp
11/20/2006, 06:00 PM
Memphis is a good team. They could just plug in guys and keep on chugging. Lots of size.

Our FT shooting was pretty lights out. 19/20

OUSKINS
11/20/2006, 06:09 PM
No complaints from me really.

The lack of a true point hurt as today, badly. We did not handle the press well at all. The only other real disappointment for me was that Longar played soft. I don't expect him to out-muscle bohemoths like you find on the Memphis front line, but Longar played timid. He backed away from contact, and didn't hit the boards. Griffin on the other hand, was a beast in terms of contact, effort, etc...

Memphis is really good. Not great, but really good. I thought we played our butts off, kept fighting, and had a few nice moments here and there. The free throw percentage was encouraging, and I still like what I see from Crocker, although he sturggled some today.

The key to this game is what happens next. Capel must use this game as a springboard. I've said all along that I would LOVE to beat either Memphis or Villanova in the non-conference this year. I think that would be a great boost, and might even get us into the NCAA conversation if we can hold our own in the Big 12. After today, I'm feeling a tad more confident we can hang with Villanova at Lloyd Noble.

My fear now is that we sort of geared up for Memphis and will lay an egg the next two days. Good challenge for Capel to keep the team focused.

sooner518
11/20/2006, 06:23 PM
What kept us in it? Memphis missed like 14 free throws or something really bad.

william_brasky
11/20/2006, 06:31 PM
Memphis was simply a better ballclub. Quicker, stronger, bigger, taller. They can really attack you on both sides of the ball.

LL was non-existent. Let's hope he can step it up in the next two games.

I don't feel bad about the game though. We played tough and never gave up. We're gonna be OK. Just gotta keep getting better.

oumartin
11/20/2006, 06:46 PM
I think its still a young team, new coach and new players. It will take time. I am not complaining

CtheB
11/20/2006, 06:50 PM
brasky's on it.

We know what we have to do to get better, and I think this was a very valuable experience for the team. Pretty good performance if you ask me, and I am glad to see they never really "packed it in" and played hard until the end.

We'll get better from this.

Interested to see how Bobby Maze, a true point, would have helped today.

snp
11/20/2006, 06:53 PM
I'm loving the optimism by all of us so far :cool:

Remembering Tom Stidham
11/20/2006, 06:58 PM
Memphis was just too big and too athletic for us. They couldn't hit freethrows and couldn't miss from 3-pt. circle. When a team puts a full-court press on you for an entire game, they know they have you overmatched. Even when their press did not force a turnover, it seemed to reduce our confidence. I was relieved to see the improvement in Taylor Griffin. He has not been playing well. Neal showed he can still hit the long ones.

We have an excellent coach. I was very impressed by his work.

Ash
11/20/2006, 07:08 PM
Turnovers:
20 for OU, 18 for Memphis
Rebounds: 38 Memphis, 32 OU
FG%: 49 for Meph; 35 OU
3 pt %: 25 OU; 41 Meph

They shot better, rebounded better and forced turnovers that led to easy buckets. They hit their 3s, including some clutch shots. Both teams played sloppy. The game stats are closer than I expected.

I agree about Longar needing to make an impact, even it's rebounding and defending, but he can't disappear like he did today.

Big Red Ron
11/20/2006, 07:24 PM
L2 and the Moose kinda suck. Moose has room for growth, L2, not so much.

King Crimson
11/20/2006, 07:24 PM
well, it's Purdue. they played with GT for a while....but Tech too much in the end and pulled away.

birddog
11/20/2006, 07:56 PM
we play purdue next?

when is that?

bluedogok
11/20/2006, 08:20 PM
Today was the first time that I have seen them play, I was pleased with what I saw for the most part, but then my expectations for this season are pretty low (.500 in conference and NIT would be nice).

Memphis is good, big and deep, they have a few NBA prospects on that team. There was one point in the second half at which it looked like OU was giving up, but after a timeout they played their butts off, cut it to 9, but didn't get shots to fall to get it any closer than that. You could tell that some of the Memphis players were getting frustrated that they just didn't lay down when they got up by 19. I like the fight in this team, I think they will surprise a few teams this season.

Big Red Ron
11/20/2006, 08:25 PM
L2 and the Moose kinda suck. Moose has room for growth, L2, not so much.Just callin'em like I see 'em Mr. anonymous neg spekker.

BTW - you will never have the spek that I have, so neg away you meaningless, spineless turd.

snp
11/20/2006, 08:45 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81881

I agree. I'm friends with a few of the OU athletes and a coach but I don't get bent all outta shape when people criticize their playing.

I think you need to stop your crusade, LilSooner.

birddog
11/20/2006, 08:55 PM
she did give us a fair warning.

;)

OUSKINS
11/20/2006, 09:52 PM
Yeah, positive vibes flow from the fans right now. I predict that will end at about 3:00 pm on Tuesday if we lose to Purdue :)

THIS is actually a good test. We know we're not awful, and we know we aren't Memphis. What we don't know is whether or not the ceiling for this team is 13-14 and missing the NIT or 17-18 wins and sneaking into the Dance. The answer is probably somewhere in the middle, but it's still an open-ended question.

We're playing a middle of the road Big 10 team on Tuesday. It would be a solid win or a semi-troubling loss.

Plus, if we win, that means we'll be on ESPN2 on Wednesday afternoon.

OUSKINS
11/20/2006, 09:53 PM
OK, new here, I'll bite. What's V-Cash??

GottaHavePride
11/20/2006, 10:24 PM
I like the fight in this team, I think they will surprise a few teams this season.

:les: I LIKE THEIR RESOLVE! I'LL TAKE THIS TEAM AND PLAY ANY SUCKER IN THIS COUNTRY!

GottaHavePride
11/20/2006, 10:25 PM
OK, new here, I'll bite. What's V-Cash??

It's a toy for sponsors. you can vBet your vCash on stuff when bri and I post it. And when you vLose all your vCash we come and vBreak your vKneecaps. ;)

Beano's Fourth Chin
11/20/2006, 10:31 PM
I think its still a young team, new coach and new players. It will take time. I am not complaining
what the heck are you talking about?

birddog
11/20/2006, 11:06 PM
we play purdue next?

when is that?

anyone? anyone?

King Crimson
11/20/2006, 11:13 PM
i read at insider that it's 12:30 CST.

edit: looks like 12:30 CST

the_ouskull
11/21/2006, 10:38 AM
Memphis is bigger than us, they run Coach Cal's press really well, and we don't have a true (good) point guard on the roster... certainly not one that can consistantly break a press the caliber of Memphis'. We hung (more or less) with the #12 team in the country on a neutral court in our (young) team's first "road" game. I'll take it. LL needs to start showing up though, 'cause, like it or not, he's our "big man."

the_ouskull

OUSKINS
11/21/2006, 01:36 PM
Purdue game has started--- audio link anyone???

King Crimson
11/21/2006, 01:37 PM
http://www.reachingmore.com/kkgm.HTM

6-5 Purdue

william_brasky
11/21/2006, 01:37 PM
Purdue game has started--- audio link anyone???

I've got it on the radio. Don't know about web link.

8-5 Purdue in the early going.

OUSKINS
11/21/2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks, KC!