PDA

View Full Version : Phil Simms Commentary during the Cowboys Game

WolfCop
11/19/2006, 07:40 PM
Did anyone else notice Daddy Simms kind of ripping on Roy Williams in the second half. Seems TRRW just couldn't do anything right in Daddy Simm's eyes.

Could he still hold hostility for TTRW making his son look like a fool as a whorn?

Can you say....SUPERMAN???

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2006, 07:42 PM
Daddy Simms is a *****...always was.

SeattleOUstudent
11/19/2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah, he was kinda knocking him quite a bit...then again, there are a lot of rumblings down here in Dallas(especially on the Ticket) that want TTRW moved to LB instead of safety. Maybe thats what Simms was referring to?

DarrellZero
11/19/2006, 07:46 PM
Roy played a solid game. What's there to bitch about?

jk the sooner fan
11/19/2006, 07:46 PM
Roy is NOT a good cover safety...i wish he were, but he's not

mrowl
11/19/2006, 07:48 PM

zactly. I got no problem with what daddy simms said...

jk the sooner fan
11/19/2006, 07:50 PM
but he sure knocked the **** out of ben utecht..... :)

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2006, 07:52 PM
He may be objective, but I still never liked him. He's a jerkoff.

1stTimeCaller
11/19/2006, 07:59 PM

He's a pretty solid receiver though...

batonrougesooner
11/19/2006, 08:02 PM
I guess I'm not the only one who noticed that.

StoopTroup
11/19/2006, 08:29 PM
Phil Simms was a mediocre QB and he's a mediocre sportscaster.

I couldn't care less what he thinks.

60 minutes did a great interview on Joe Namath tonight.

It was better than anything PS had to say.

picasso
11/19/2006, 08:47 PM
he's just as good at man-up as their corners are. not saying that's a good thing though.

Rogue
11/19/2006, 09:44 PM
TRRW is about Dat Nguyen's size or so and the smaller LBs are are the rage these days. He had a nice pick today though.

Paperclip
11/19/2006, 09:48 PM

Did he try to kiss Mike Wallace?

picasso
11/19/2006, 09:49 PM
TRRW is about Dat Nguyen's size or so and the smaller LBs are are the rage these days. He had a nice pick today though.
about 3 inches taller and minus the steroids.

AzianSooner
11/19/2006, 09:55 PM
Should Roy be Center LB? Yes. just like Urlacher of Bears.

picasso
11/19/2006, 09:58 PM
6'0" 235 is not too big for safety in the NFL.

he gets burned at times but he also makes a few plays down the field.

I say keep him.;)

Big Red Ron
11/19/2006, 10:00 PM
He'll be in the Pro-Bowl again, as a Saftey this year. Yeah, sucks.

AzianSooner
11/19/2006, 10:04 PM
if Mr Sims truly attack Roy due to his personal hatred, then he is a low cheap filthy person.

Otherwise, carry on.

jk the sooner fan
11/19/2006, 10:04 PM
i didnt say he sucks, or that he should be gotten rid of, i'm just saying he has a weakness in his game

Big Red Ron
11/19/2006, 10:05 PM
He's a good enough cover guy to make the pro bowl, just sayin'

jk the sooner fan
11/19/2006, 10:07 PM
roy williams doesnt make the pro bowl because of his cover skills

if you think that, then you're sadly mistaken

AzianSooner
11/19/2006, 10:08 PM
Roy should be used mainly on stoping the run, blocking the TE and blizing the QB. He is best up on the line.

Scott D
11/19/2006, 10:08 PM
He'll be in the Pro-Bowl again, as a Saftey this year. Yeah, sucks.

were the safety spots all taken? ;)

Widescreen
11/19/2006, 10:09 PM
He makes the pro bowl because he's a bad, bad man.

Big Red Ron
11/19/2006, 10:09 PM
roy williams doesnt make the pro bowl because of his cover skills

if you think that, then you're sadly mistakenIf you think his covers skills are so bad then he would NEVER make the pro bowl. He has GREAT run D skills and slightly above average cover skills. Ask Payton Manning.

jk the sooner fan
11/19/2006, 10:11 PM
ask payton manning what? how his receiver fell down in front of Roy Williams on the goal line and gifted Roy an interception?

i dont know how many cowboy games you watch, or how much cowboy press you read.......i get plenty of it, and trust me.....he's weak on coverage

look, get your panties out of a wad, i'm not bashing him.......i'm a HUGE fan of Roy....but that doesnt jade the truth

jk the sooner fan
11/19/2006, 10:12 PM
He makes the pro bowl because he's a bad, bad man.

pretty much, he's one of the hardest hitters in the game, and he makes game changing plays on defense.....he's an "all or nothing" type guy, he'll go for broke on a play and sometimes makes it, and sometimes doesnt

he's not TERRIBLE at coverage, its just a weakness

Scott D
11/19/2006, 10:13 PM
If you think his covers skills are so bad then he would NEVER make the pro bowl. He has GREAT run D skills and slightly above average cover skills. Ask Payton Manning.

Peyton Manning would likely say that Roy is good covering short and intermediate routes, but would get burned by any deep post route. Kinda like what pretty much the national media mocks him for.

King Crimson
11/19/2006, 10:15 PM
we get Simms up here in Denver alot (AFC West 24/7/365), and i don't spend a lot of time thinking about what he's got to say.

sooneron
11/19/2006, 10:17 PM
I live about 10 minutes from the asshat. Just ignore him like I do when I see him at the pancake place.

SCOUT
11/19/2006, 10:17 PM
Peyton Manning would likely say that Roy is good covering short and intermediate routes, but would get burned by any deep post route. Kinda like what pretty much the national media mocks him for.
I believe this is dead on. Roy makes the pro bowl because he is so talented at the other aspects of his game. Pass coverage, particularly deep pass coverage, is average to below average

If he were used in more of a linebacker role, he could be even better than he currently is. I think that is what most people are saying. He is good, but if you didn't require he to play a position that highlights some of his weaknesses, he would be even more highly thought of.

Scott D
11/19/2006, 10:19 PM
I live about 10 minutes from the asshat. Just ignore him like I do when I see him at the pancake place.

man up...tell him how Hosstetler was twice the qb he was ;)

picasso
11/19/2006, 10:20 PM
you don't make all pro just for being a hard hitter. there's lots of those types in the league. Roy does get burned down field sometimes but I think he's pretty f'in good at what he does.
all the best db's in the game give it up now and then.

jk the sooner fan
11/19/2006, 10:22 PM
i think the criticism isnt because he gives one up now and then like "they all do", its because he's referred to as this "all world safety", and alot of his critics think he blows coverage deep way too often to be referred to in that sense

they arent saying he's bad

AzianSooner
11/19/2006, 10:31 PM
thing is guy like ROY is increase the fearsome for any defense that he plays. And if you develop the right scheme for him to play in (like Mike Stoop did) he is a strong force.

Big Red Ron
11/19/2006, 10:33 PM
i think the criticism isnt because he gives one up now and then like "they all do", its because he's referred to as this "all world safety", and alot of his critics think he blows coverage deep way too often to be referred to in that sense

they arent saying he's badLet's just agree to disagree. Has he been burned? Yes. He's no Corner Back but he is the BEST overall safety in the NFL.

1stTimeCaller
11/19/2006, 10:33 PM
I thought Roy Williams was a receiver for the Lions. Who are y'all talking about?

King Crimson
11/19/2006, 10:34 PM
I thought Roy Williams was a receiver for the Lions. Who are y'all talking about?

the basketball coach at North Carolina.

mrowl
11/19/2006, 10:35 PM
Let's just agree to disagree. Has he been burned? Yes. He's no Corner Back but he is the BEST overall safety in the NFL.

Ed Reed may disagree.

Big Red Ron
11/19/2006, 10:42 PM
Ed Reed may disagree.He may but it's certainly debatable.

Scott D
11/19/2006, 11:02 PM
I'd say Roy is the hardest hitting safety in the league. Ed Reed would be the best overall safety.

tulsaoilerfan
11/19/2006, 11:32 PM
i didnt say he sucks, or that he should be gotten rid of, i'm just saying he has a weakness in his game
Really though, how many safeties in the NFL are good cover men? How many times do you see them getting torched on a weekly basis? With the speed and size of today's tight ends, there are not many safeties that can stay with them one on one, especially if the QB has time to pass

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 12:12 AM
Pro Bowler's are a name recognition thing. You really think Larry Allen was a Pro Bowler his last few years in Dallas?

tommieharris91
11/20/2006, 12:59 AM
Pro Bowler's are a name recognition thing. You really think Larry Allen was a Pro Bowler his last few years in Dallas?

He may make the Pro Bowl this year as a 49er, if you base his season on Frank Gore's stats.

Crucifax Autumn
11/20/2006, 01:23 AM
**** it...If Dallas doesn't value him he oughtta join his former teammates and friends in Chicago. I'm sure with all the Sooner fans watching Bears games even more than now they'd end up the #1 TV rating team in the NFL.

tommieharris91
11/20/2006, 01:30 AM
TRRW would be a GREAT replacement for Mike Brown. He is definitely better than Chris Harris. I would also think Lovie and Rivera could teach him a thing or two about coverage.

Crucifax Autumn
11/20/2006, 01:52 AM
I DO have to agree with previous posts that TRRW would be a fantastic player in all ways if a defensive coordinator would actually design their defense in a way to paly to his strengths in the way that Stoops did.

How beautiful would it be to see every pro player from our beloved OU D of days past to all end up on one team?

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2006, 07:22 AM
Really though, how many safeties in the NFL are good cover men? How many times do you see them getting torched on a weekly basis? With the speed and size of today's tight ends, there are not many safeties that can stay with them one on one, especially if the QB has time to pass

really though, go back and read what i wrote about him being called an "all world safety" etc etc etc

FourKings
11/20/2006, 09:53 AM
everyone knows Roy doesnt cover the deep ball very well at times, just the way it is....SImmmmmmssss is a loser *** cry baby like his brat kid, and a Cowboy hater, I mean, he did play for the hated giants after all, whatta ya expect.

footballfanatic
11/20/2006, 10:09 AM

I could care less what he thinks.

Say what you want about my Horns, but when you talk trash about my beloved Giants, it's personal.

"mediocre QB?"
How about MVP of the Super Bowl, with 22 completions in 25 attempts. As far as the other "*****" comment by others, there was never a tougher QB than Phil Simms. Never.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 10:27 AM
He may make the Pro Bowl this year as a 49er, if you base his season on Frank Gore's stats.

Maybe, if Larry would have actually played in more than 5 of the 10 games.

TXBOOMER
11/20/2006, 10:46 AM
Roy Williams is a play maker. I disagree with him not being a good cover safety. He makes a lot of plays. Does he give up some...Yes....but watch the highlights of every team. Every safety in the league gets burned. Name a safety that you would rather have playing every down in the league. Roy causes aligator arms on WR and Roy also gets a lot of picks and he is one of the hardest hitters in the league. Let those little girls that don't know a free safety from a strong safety on the TICKET keep griping. They need to stick to why today doesn't suck and Gordos corner and quit talking shat on Roy.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 10:51 AM
Roy Williams is a play maker. I disagree with him not being a good cover safety. He makes a lot of plays. Does he give up some...Yes....but watch the highlights of every team. Every safety in the league gets burned. Name a safety that you would rather have playing every down in the league. Roy causes aligator arms on WR and Roy also gets a lot of picks and he is one of the hardest hitters in the league. Let those little girls that don't know a free safety from a strong safety on the TICKET keep griping. They need to stick to why today doesn't suck and Gordos corner and quit talking shat on Roy.

Roy just needs another Darren Woodson at his back. That seemed to free Roy up a little more. Now, he's got a rookie and Keith Davis.

TXBOOMER
11/20/2006, 10:52 AM
Say what you want about my Horns, but when you talk trash about my beloved Giants, it's personal.

"mediocre QB?"
How about MVP of the Super Bowl, with 22 completions in 25 attempts. As far as the other "*****" comment by others, there was never a tougher QB than Phil Simms. Never.

Joe Willie, Starbuck and Steve Young were at least as tough if not tougher than Sims. His son is pretty tough. Hell, he is the only QB I know of that played with a ruptured spleen

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 10:54 AM
Joe Willie, Starbuck and Steve Young were at least as tough if not tougher than Sims. His son is pretty tough. Hell, he is the only QB I know of that played with a ruptured spleen

Yeah, but Phil would have surgically removed his own spleen and been back the next week. :D

TXBOOMER
11/20/2006, 10:55 AM
Yeah, but Phil would have surgically removed his own spleen and been back the next week. :D

And beat the shat out of Chuck Norris five minutes later.

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2006, 11:00 AM
both touchdown passes yesterday, roy was either out of coverage or beaten

just sayin

i love him, i think he's great.......but i also recognize his shortcoming

stoopified
11/20/2006, 11:01 AM
I do think Daddy Simms went out of hiws wayto critcize Roy.He even went so far as to discredit him when another announcer was praising him.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 11:03 AM
Didn't help when Roy ran into Newman and the reciever on the one deep ball, cause Newman to drop the interception.

Sooner-by-Marriage
11/20/2006, 11:19 AM

just sayin

Roy had absolutely nothing to do with the Reggie Wayne TD at the end of the half. That was all on the cornerbacks, one of which forgot to switch off and follow his man. The safety that was late coming over on that play was Keith Davis.

Roy reacted badly on the Dallas Clark touchdown, but don't try to pin the Wayne TD on him.

In other news, Roy leads the Cowboys with 4 INTs (he's also 5th in the NFL and 2nd in the NFC in that category).

Typically, when he gets beat in coverage it's either against the elite TEs or occasionally taking a bad angle on a WR when he's in a help role.

I think as far as strong safeties are concerned he still the best in the league, and he can be an asset in pass coverage when receivers are short-arming passes because they hear the footsteps.

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2006, 11:21 AM
he's not the best in the league, ed reed is........if two receivers are on the side that Wayne was on, isnt that the strong side?

i was certain Roy was the strong side safety....and so he "reacts badly" on the Clark TD

we can just agree to disagree

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2006, 11:25 AM
and if you're the "best in the league", you dont routinely get beat by the "elite TE's"

that says he's average, because the elite TE's beat everybody

mrowl
11/20/2006, 11:25 AM
and you don't get faked out by a rookie QB either.

plumbob
11/20/2006, 11:26 AM
Parcells admonished reporters to refer to him as "the great Phil Simms".

Sooner-by-Marriage
11/20/2006, 11:35 AM
he's not the best in the league, ed reed is........if two receivers are on the side that Wayne was on, isnt that the strong side?

i was certain Roy was the strong side safety....and so he "reacts badly" on the Clark TD

we can just agree to disagree
Reed's not playing better than him this year.

Reasonable people can differ as to who's better between Reed and Roy, but Roy is definitely having a better year than Reed this year.

Roy has 4 INTs, 11 passes defended, 0 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, and 29 tackles.

Reed has 2 INTs, 3 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, no fumble recoveries, and 29 tackles.

As for the Wayne TD, it's pretty clear that Davis was the guy late coming over... but that TD was 99% on the cornerbacks. They got crossed up and one of them (still not clear which one) forgot to cover Wayne.

In any event, you'd be hard pressed to find a safety that has played much better (run or pass game) than Roy has this year.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 03:32 PM
Radio on the Ticket just got done playing a couple of Phils "Gems" as a commentator. I was too into the game to notice, but he had a whole bunch of generic comments.

"With Terrence Newman not in the game, this helps out the Colts"

No ****?

"Bobby Carpenter has been valuable to the Cowboys, as they like having him in their to rush the passer from the outside"

Or really? Like, when?

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 03:33 PM
Roy has 4 INTs, 11 passes defended, 0 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, and 29 tackles.

Reed has 2 INTs, 3 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, no fumble recoveries, and 29 tackles.

Maybe Roy has a lot more passes defended cause he gets thrown at way more? ;)

Sooner-by-Marriage
11/20/2006, 03:51 PM
Maybe Roy has a lot more passes defended cause he gets thrown at way more? ;)
That may be true. I know teams tend to attack or steer clear of cornerbacks regularly... I'm not sure if that's as true of safeties.

But I think that's reasonable to assume they may be throwing at Roy. But you know, if you are getting "picked on" then you'd better make the opposing team pay for it... and Roy definitely has done that with his 4 picks, the receivers he's tattooed, and the passes defended. That's a ridiculously high number of passes defended for a safety!

If you're thrown on enough, you're going to give up some TDs, you just need to make up for it by making some big defensive plays as well... and Roy has done that time and time again this year.

:)

DrZaius
11/20/2006, 04:00 PM
My brother told me about the hit yesterday.....Anyone know if it has been youtubed yet?

I really want to see it.

As far as cover, yeah he gets burned sometimes but that is the life of a safety\db.

A move to linebacker would be great for him.

Sooner-by-Marriage
11/20/2006, 05:04 PM
My brother told me about the hit yesterday.....Anyone know if it has been youtubed yet?

I really want to see it.

As far as cover, yeah he gets burned sometimes but that is the life of a safety\db.

A move to linebacker would be great for him.
They could move him to linebacker, but I think that would hurt the team.

They are already fine and deep at LB, and even though he does give up some plays in the secondary, I think he's well above average in coverage. He'd be very difficult to replace at safety. There aren't a whole lot of strong safties that are better in coverage than him, or more disruptive than him, or better ball-hawks.

It's easy to see when he makes a mistake, but show me a cornerback or saftey that doesn't get scored on -- or even burned -- from time to time.

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2006, 05:08 PM
the problem with Roy at LB is that he'd get pushed around by much bigger lineman, etc.....

he needs to stay where he is....he just needs to get better at coverage (which if he were so great at, there wouldnt be any talk of moving him to LB!)

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 05:15 PM
or better ball-hawks.

say what?

Damn, I hate to still be talking about this, cause I freaking love Roy and the way he plays, but he is not a Ball Hawk. he is below average when the ball is in the air. Whether it be bad to horrible angles, not looking back for the ball and running over the receiver, he is NOT know for his "ball-hawking" skills. Really good ball hawking safties don't knock an interception out of their corners hands. THe realize that guy has the angle to make the play and back off. He is know for punishing anyone that comes over the middle and average deep cover skills. Why do you think Dallas Clark caught a TD pass, and was thrown to again at the goal line? Roy made the play by pushing him down before the pass was thrown, but that push comes 1 sec later, and it's PI and 1st down from the 1.

He was unbelievable on that goal line stand against Washington, and I love the way he hits, but he does have issues. And yes all Safeties have issues, but i just don't think he's hands down the best safety in the league. I think most teams would rather have a good cover safety more than a punishing run stopping safety.

Scott D
11/20/2006, 05:17 PM
Reed's not playing better than him this year.

Reasonable people can differ as to who's better between Reed and Roy, but Roy is definitely having a better year than Reed this year.

As for the Wayne TD, it's pretty clear that Davis was the guy late coming over... but that TD was 99% on the cornerbacks. They got crossed up and one of them (still not clear which one) forgot to cover Wayne.

In any event, you'd be hard pressed to find a safety that has played much better (run or pass game) than Roy has this year.

let's see...one secondary has Samari Rolle and Chris McAllister at corner...the other has Terrance Newman and a Yield Sign at corner. Which secondary do you think gets thrown on more.

And if you want to be really objective, you could mention that Roy's pick yesterday came when there were only 15 total yards of field in front of the play, so it's not like he had to worry about deep coverage there.

As for All-Pro, I'm a huge fan of safeties, and I'd be the first to say that for as great as Ronnie Lott was in his career, he got into 3 of his last 4 Pro Bowls on name only.

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2006, 05:19 PM
spek to CVS for getting it

Sooner-by-Marriage
11/20/2006, 05:59 PM
let's see...one secondary has Samari Rolle and Chris McAllister at corner...the other has Terrance Newman and a Yield Sign at corner. Which secondary do you think gets thrown on more.

I think the Cowboys get thrown on more... to the tune of 32.3 times per game as opposed to Baltimore's 29.8 times per game. So that's two and a half more attempts per game that Roy gets to see.

By the way, Baltimore allows a league third best completion percentage of 53% whereas Dallas is fifth with 55.4% so while the Dallas pass-defense isn't quite as stout, it's not as far off as you might imagine.

And as you observe, the Baltimore CBs are probably a notch better than the Cowboys CBs. Given how shaky Dallas' free safety play has been, you could make the conclusion that this speaks even more highly of Roy's contributions.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 06:11 PM
I think the Cowboys get thrown on more... to the tune of 32.3 times per game as opposed to Baltimore's 29.8 times per game. So that's two and a half more attempts per game that Roy gets to see.

Or those two passes are screen passes that go nowhere near Roy.

Scott D
11/20/2006, 06:36 PM

By the way, Baltimore allows a league third best completion percentage of 53% whereas Dallas is fifth with 55.4% so while the Dallas pass-defense isn't quite as stout, it's not as far off as you might imagine.

And as you observe, the Baltimore CBs are probably a notch better than the Cowboys CBs. Given how shaky Dallas' free safety play has been, you could make the conclusion that this speaks even more highly of Roy's contributions.

So at this point we're discussing 2.5 more passes on average against Dallas per game. so at this point in the season that's 25 more opportunities for the Cowboys secondary. So now Roy's numbers could be considered skewed by virtue of the fact that he's essentially faced an extra game worth of passing attempts.

None of us are belittling his accomplishments, and pretty much think he's great. But like jk said, he's not an 'All-World' Safety...he's a very good football player that hits like a truck that happens to play safety.

Nationally, he's remembered for three things. 1) the play in the 2001 RRS. 2) the horsecollar tackle that broke T.O.'s leg. 3) Getting torched like bonfire after a Salem Witch Hunt on national television versus the Cowboys biggest rival a year or two ago.

The media nor the average fan care that the reason he gets exposed on deep routes is because the corner on his side blew their coverage or just flat out got beat. Roy gets the exposure as the one who got torched because he's the last line of defense between that receiver and the endzone most of the time.

Big Red Ron
11/20/2006, 07:33 PM
You guys are right, Roy should just retire and decline all invitations to the Pro Bowl from here on out.

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2006, 07:36 PM
yeah, cause thats exactly what we were saying:rolleyes:

Big Red Ron
11/20/2006, 07:49 PM
*Yawn*

Hey I'm up $2600 on Full Tilt!

usmc-sooner
11/20/2006, 08:44 PM
geeze jk, do you do anything but bitch about players.

talk about your glass is half empty.

:D :D

tulsaoilerfan
11/20/2006, 09:36 PM

just sayin

I actually believe that Davis was the safety on that side when Wayne scored; besides, if Newman would have done his job and stayed with Wayne there would have been no need for safety help.

tulsaoilerfan
11/20/2006, 09:41 PM
You guys are right, Roy should just retire and decline all invitations to the Pro Bowl from here on out.
Or he could come back and finish his eligibilty at OU, but some of you would probably gripe about that somehow:D

tulsaoilerfan
11/20/2006, 09:47 PM
Didn't help when Roy ran into Newman and the reciever on the one deep ball, cause Newman to drop the interception.
So now you are faulting him for covering the deep ball? I swear, some of you people are never happy unless you are unhappy. :P

Sooner-by-Marriage
11/20/2006, 10:03 PM
Question for the "Roy is average" crowd.

Do you think he deserves to go to the Pro Bowl?

If not, then who deserves it more than him?

If so, then how is he "average"?

sportsproducer
11/20/2006, 10:43 PM
Actullay the issue is that the Cowboy defensive scheme right now is not condusive to Williams play. Roy Williams is a lot like Ronnie Lott was, a safety who payed the field but should never be placed in a position of one on one coverage. For as many times as he has given up a TD he has broken up 5 more

Any one who says that Roy Willimas is average knows very little about the game of football. If the Cowboys ever get a group of Corners who are worth a flip then Roy can go back to playing what he did so well at OU and his first couple of years with the Cowboys. By the way he's not playing bad right now and Ed Reed while a fine player is no better than Roy Williams.

SoonerInKCMO
11/20/2006, 10:55 PM
Good God some of you idiots have the reading comprehension abilities of 2nd graders. No one in this thread is saying that RW is just an average safety or that he doesn't deserve any accolades or that he should retire. What is being said is that his coverage skills (but one part of a safety's game) are average or even below average.

And if you don't believe that his coverage skills are his weakness, go back and watch the 2002 OSU game.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 11:00 PM
Roy gets the exposure as the one who got torched because he's the last line of defense between that receiver and the endzone most of the time.

That might be why they call them safeties. ;)

picasso
11/20/2006, 11:01 PM
Good God some of you idiots have the reading comprehension abilities of 2nd graders. No one in this thread is saying that RW is just an average safety or that he doesn't deserve any accolades or that he should retire. What is being said is that his coverage skills (but one part of a safety's game) are average or even below average.

And if you don't believe that his coverage skills are his weakness, go back and watch the 2002 OSU game.
ummm dude we get that part and umm Roy didn't play in '02 oSu game.:D
you probably mean '01 and yeah he jumped too early on that critical 4th down play but his ummm coverage was there.
Roy was one of the best defensive players OU has ever fielded and that is saying something.
his coverage in the NFL isn't all the way there. yep. does he suck? hell no.

SoonerInKCMO
11/20/2006, 11:02 PM
2002, 2001... whatever. ;)

Scott D
11/20/2006, 11:02 PM
Actullay the issue is that the Cowboy defensive scheme right now is not condusive to Williams play. Roy Williams is a lot like Ronnie Lott was, a safety who payed the field but should never be placed in a position of one on one coverage. For as many times as he has given up a TD he has broken up 5 more

Any one who says that Roy Willimas is average knows very little about the game of football. If the Cowboys ever get a group of Corners who are worth a flip then Roy can go back to playing what he did so well at OU and his first couple of years with the Cowboys. By the way he's not playing bad right now and Ed Reed while a fine player is no better than Roy Williams.

Oh, and Lott made the pro-bowl and was second in rookie of the year voting to Lawrence Taylor as a Cornerback btw.

picasso
11/20/2006, 11:15 PM
Ronnie Lott was a bad man. he's the only SC player I've given a pass to for playing there. and I hated the Niners but he was the man!

hey, didn't Roy get another pick the other night? what'd the damn ball fall into his hands again???;)

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 11:17 PM
Ronnie Lott was a bad man. he's the only SC player I've given a pass to for playing there. and I hated the Niners but he was the man!

hey, didn't Roy get another pick the other night? what'd the damn ball fall into his hands again???;)

Nah, just stuck in his bread basket and he was forced to intercept it ;)

picasso
11/20/2006, 11:19 PM
Nah, just stuck in his bread basket and he was forced to intercept it ;)
damn he's lucky. I'll bet he was outta position and the ball hit him in the headmlet and stuck in his facemask.

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2006, 11:21 PM
damn he's lucky. I'll bet he was outta position and the ball hit him in the headmlet and stuck in his facemask.

umm, did you actually watch the play?

picasso
11/20/2006, 11:26 PM
umm, did you actually watch the play?
no I think Dallas sucks myself.:)

I have seen Roy get burned a few times. same as every other defensive back in the league.

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2006, 11:29 PM
you might want to check the replay of the interception before declaring him the king of INT's....

every other defensive back isnt getting paid what Roy does.......

seriously, KC pegged it, is anybody actually reading whats being written? or just the sheer thought of making any type comment remotely critical of Roy Williams has people slitting their wrists

Scott D
11/20/2006, 11:30 PM
That might be why they call them safeties. ;)

I call Roy a safety, I call Henry toast ;)

picasso
11/20/2006, 11:33 PM

they arent saying he's bad
I can agree w/that.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 11:35 PM
I call Roy a safety, I call Henry toast ;)

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3231/vermeilhb8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I'd agree with that

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 11:36 PM

Funny you should mention that, cause that damn near happened in the Redskins game.

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2006, 11:36 PM
i'd mention how many oskies Roy has dropped this year, but i dont want to open that can of worms ;)

picasso
11/20/2006, 11:37 PM
you might want to check the replay of the interception before declaring him the king of INT's....

who's doing that? talk about blowing things up. I know, I'll go post about it in the SO.:D

GrapevineSooner
11/20/2006, 11:38 PM
In summation, I agree with CVS, JK, etc.

Roy's a nice run stopping safety who can dish out punishment as well as anyone in the league. But he has shortcomings in his ability to cover. So much so that I don't think it would be such a bad idea to move him to LB next year.

And if you somehow interpret that to mean that I think TGRW should retire, then you're an a...

OK, I'll be nice and just say you need to learn how to read.

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2006, 11:38 PM
dude, you arent the only reaction in this thread! :)

but going to the SO, GREAT idea

picasso
11/20/2006, 11:41 PM
dude, you arent the only reaction in this thread! :)

but going to the SO, GREAT idea

tweren't just talking about me. I haven't seen anyone proclaiming him the king of interceptions or the best cover/tackle guy since Jack Tatum in this thread.

would you guys say he's the best defender on the Dallas team?

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 11:43 PM
would you guys say he's the best defender on the Dallas team?

not when Newman's on his game.

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2006, 11:45 PM
when you say defender do you mean DB? or anybody on defense?

Newman in the DB....and Ware is quickly becoming the best player on the defensive squad

OUAndy1807
11/20/2006, 11:45 PM
I can't believe anyone would call TGRW average. They had to change the freakin rules of the game for him. How many people have that great of an influence on major sports?

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2006, 11:46 PM
i wouldnt call breaking other players legs a "great impact on the game"

at least not a positive one! :)

picasso
11/20/2006, 11:47 PM
well if that's the case then he does need to get better.

btw - I just got off the phone with Roy and he said the problem has been that big ole white long sleeved shirt he wears.

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2006, 11:47 PM
well if that's the case then he does need to get better.

btw - I just got off the phone with Roy and he said the problem has been that big ole white long sleeved shirt he wears.

yeah what is up with that shirt?

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 11:49 PM
Speaking off, looked like Aaron Rodgers was horse collared and broke his foot. Out for the Season.

picasso
11/20/2006, 11:50 PM
Speaking off, looked like Aaron Rodgers was horse collared and broke his foot. Out for the Season.
did he manage to throw the ball into Roy's facemask?

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 11:50 PM
did he manage to throw the ball into Roy's facemask?

just missed :D

colleyvillesooner
12/11/2006, 01:04 PM
http://mb22.scout.com/fouinsiderfrm1.showMessage?topicID=151761.topic

Man, if you want some sunshine pumping in regards to the "Roy Williams has some coverage issues", click that link. Blaming it all on lack of pass rush.

Luthor
12/11/2006, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately Simms is 100% right about RW's coverage ability in man. I'm a Dallas fan and I'm scared to death everytime RW has to drop back into single coverage on anyone. Roy is a tremendous impact player so long as the situation plays to his strength. In iso man coverage however he can't cover Stevie Wonder. Teams that use some combination of 4 people in pass routes beyond about 15 yds almost always get Roy into trouble.

footballfanatic
12/11/2006, 02:35 PM

I couldn't care less what he thinks.

While I like Phill as a announcer, because IMHO he's objective and not afraid to call someone out, you are entitled to your opinion. When it comes to his performance as an NFL QB, your opinion is incorrect. Phil SImms was the MVP of the Super Bowl, completing 22 of 25 passes for around 250-300 yards. (That may be low estimate of yardage, but I'm too lazy to look it up.) That is one of the greatest performances in Super Bowl history. Your evaluation of him as mediocre is unsound.

SoonerLB
12/11/2006, 02:41 PM
Man, you guys are getting all worked up over this aren't you? I figure the coaches in charge know what they are doing, and it IS their job to put the best players in the best postions. The only thing I feel certain about is......
Roy Williams is one hell of a lot better football player than Phil Simms is an announcer!

sooner94
12/11/2006, 02:48 PM
No question that Roy is not a shut-down coverage guy. But there is too much criticism here.

Do you guys know how a player gets voted to the Pro Bowl? Who votes?

Hint - the players do.

And I know for a fact that NFL players know more about the game of football than anyone on this board. Don't you think that if the 13 offenses TRRW faces in a season believe he's average, they wouldn't vote him to a pro Bowl?

FaninAma
12/11/2006, 02:54 PM
Dallas was out-played, out-coached and out-schemed last night.

I had visions of the 05 Orange Bowl with USC receivers running totally free through the OU secondary but on second thought OU's secondary actually had a lot better coverage than Dallas' secondary did last night. USC's receivers just made some great catches.

That was just pathetic. They looked confused and indecisive and that will get your @$$ burned every time.

jk the sooner fan
12/11/2006, 03:06 PM
i think somebody needs to check their understanding of how the pro bowl players are selected

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/11/2006, 03:14 PM
i had to stop watching the game last night because of his lack of effort. on that 4th down reverse he read it immediately but one guy got in his way and he just shut it down even though had he ran through he could have made it when devry or whatever his name started dancing. that TD right in front of him was about the last straw. he's guessing where the ball is going, not playing sound coverage.

at this point, i almost feel its better to remember him the way he was and not the way he is playing now.

colleyvillesooner
12/11/2006, 03:18 PM
i think somebody needs to check their understanding of how the pro bowl players are selected

Being that 51 million votes were cast on NFL.com last year, there must be a couple more division's in the NFL I'm not aware of. ;)

sooner94
12/11/2006, 03:18 PM

Ok, I stand partially corrected.

Its players, coaches and fans each getting 1/3. That being said, if the coaches and players think TRRW is average, then do you think he would go to the Pro Bowl on fan voting alone. Its possible, but I doubt it.

picasso
12/11/2006, 03:22 PM
guess Roy got toasted a few times yesterday.

glad I missed it.

jk the sooner fan
12/11/2006, 03:23 PM
a few times.....lol

pro bowl is alot like the major league all star game

often times, name recognition is all it takes, regardless of on field performance

stoopified
12/11/2006, 03:34 PM
All I can say is I'm glad I don't root for ANY team named Cowboys.

colleyvillesooner
12/11/2006, 03:47 PM
Ok, I stand partially corrected.

Its players, coaches and fans each getting 1/3. That being said, if the coaches and players think TRRW is average, then do you think he would go to the Pro Bowl on fan voting alone. Its possible, but I doubt it.

You overestimate the average fan's football knowledge.

mrowl
12/11/2006, 03:53 PM

isn't it the top 20 jerseys sold on nfl.com ;)

FaninAma
12/11/2006, 03:54 PM
jkm, he also gave a really pathetic effort on the reggie Bush TD.

What's the deal? The lack of effort on his part was really disappointing. Was he just frustrated? Was he sick? Or is he having woman problems at home?

I do get the feeling he doesn't like playing in the schemes the Cowboys have him playing in.

Mjcpr
12/11/2006, 03:58 PM
jkm, he also gave a really pathetic effort on the reggie Bush TD.

What's the deal? The lack of effort on his part was really disappointing. Was he just frustrated? Was he sick? Or is he having woman problems at home?

I do get the feeling he doesn't like playing in the schemes the Cowboys have him playing in.

How would he know?

Fugue
12/11/2006, 04:25 PM
How would he know?

:pop:

TheGodfather889
12/11/2006, 06:34 PM
He was just mad because he knows Roy Williams whipped his son's *** and made him look like a fool.

OK2LA
12/11/2006, 07:34 PM
guess Roy got toasted a few times yesterday.

glad I missed it.

He wasn't the only safety getting burned. On that last bomb to Devery Henderson, it was someone else - I forgot his name. (not newman though - another guy - looked new - :D )

I don't care though - I HATE the chowboys - the more they lose - the more I like.

I do like TRRW though -

just a note - all safeties get burned - there's no such thing as a "lock down" corner anymore. I don't think there ever really was.

sooner94
12/11/2006, 07:49 PM
He wasn't the only safety getting burned. On that last bomb to Devery Henderson, it was someone else - I forgot his name. (not newman though - another guy - looked new - :D )

I don't care though - I HATE the chowboys - the more they lose - the more I like.

I do like TRRW though -

just a note - all safeties get burned - there's no such thing as a "lock down" corner anymore. I don't think there ever really was.

I think that was Keith Davis. He's the free safety and gets burned all the time. The Cowboys have kept changing guys at FS this year because they don't have any good ones. That doesn't help TRRW's cause. Just sayin.

AUGUSTUS-CAESAR
12/12/2006, 12:36 AM
Let's just agree to disagree. Has he been burned? Yes. He's no Corner Back but he is the BEST overall safety in the NFL.

I'm a huge Roy Williams fan, he's one of my favorite players, and is of course a Sooner legend...but he's not the best safety in the NFL. Now Ed Reed? Maybe so.

I agree with many of you though that Dallas does not use him properly -- he needs to play close to the LOS -- but you need better corners to free him up, and well...those don't grow on trees.

colleyvillesooner
12/17/2006, 11:51 AM
Well, Roy certainly had an interesting night last night. He got burned a couple of times by Crumpler, but Vick couldn't get the ball there. Another time he chose to stick with Crumpler. leaving the fullback wide open for the TD. (Do the Cowboys know that teams have full backs? that's 5 TD's in 2 weeks by full backs.)

Roy also used his "missile" tackle to temporarily injure Demarcus Ware and Henry. Both were fine after, but a little stunned after they were turned into collateral damage of a missed bomb.

colleyvillesooner
12/17/2006, 11:53 AM
But the team showed guts and did what it took to win the game. The only thing that worries me is if Vick would have been as accurate as Brees was on a few of those deep balls, Atlanta probably wins by 2 TD's. :(

soonerjoker
12/17/2006, 12:17 PM
Cowboys linebacks in the 3/4 are big. parcells got rid of the small ones.
coakley & who-dat.

parcells did say last year that williams was about one bisquit away from
being a lineback.

phil simmms was a winning qb in a super bowl.

mrowl
12/17/2006, 04:29 PM
parcells did say 3 years ago that williams was about one bisquit away from
being a lineback.

FIXED.

soonerjoker
12/18/2006, 11:26 AM
i'd go for summer of 2005; & i feel parcells was kinda kidding.

colleyvillesooner
12/18/2006, 11:30 AM
It was in 2003

Indy Sooner
12/18/2006, 03:31 PM
If you think his covers skills are so bad then he would NEVER make the pro bowl. He has GREAT run D skills and slightly above average cover skills. Ask Payton Manning.

TRRW has slightly below average cover skills in the NFL. His other attributes (both tangible and otherwise) allow him to make the Pro Bowl squad.