PDA

View Full Version : More than 2 teams from same conf. can't play in BCS Bowl...

SoonerGX
11/19/2006, 04:44 PM
game.

4. Any bowl with an unfilled slot shall select a team from the automatic qualifiers and/or at-large teams in the following order:

A. The bowl played on the date nearest to the National Championship Game in will pick first-in 2007, Sugar Bowl January 3;
B. The bowl played on the date second-nearest to the National Championship Game will pick second-in 2007, Orange Bowl January 2;
C. The bowl hosting the game that is played in the time slot immediately after the Rose Bowl game will pick third-in 2007, Fiesta Bowl.

The rotation noted in paragraphs A, B and C will be as follows:
January 2007 games: Sugar, Orange, Fiesta
January 2008 games: Orange, Fiesta, Sugar
January 2009 games: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange
January 2010 games: Orange, Fiesta, Sugar

All teams earning automatic berths must be selected. No more than two teams from any single Conference may play in BCS games in a single year, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large picks.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility

MichelleDawn
11/19/2006, 05:10 PM
Though it's a bit confusing because of

Automatic Qualification

1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings shall play in the National Championship Game.

The BCS site leaves me under the impression that Michigan could play for the NC.

link (http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfootball/)

SoonerGX
11/19/2006, 05:18 PM
Good point Michelle! That is confusing in how you interpret the wording when you consider the top two teams automatically qualify for the Championship Game.

John Kochtoston
11/19/2006, 06:25 PM
Ohio St. and Michigan could rematch in the BCS title game. No more than two teams from any conference can be picked FOR THE BCS. Those two teams could be matched against each other in the title game, or in another bowl game. There is nothing in the BCS rules prohibiting, say, an OU/tejas rematch in the Fiesta (though I seriously doubt this would happen).

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2006, 06:27 PM
It doesn't seem at all confusing to me. If there is an OSU-Michigan rematch, that's all the Big 10 can send to any BCS games.

Oldnslo
11/19/2006, 07:13 PM
So the Rose would get the Pac-10 winner vs. an at-large?

hmmm. USC vs. Boise State. That sounds like a game to watch. :yawn:

stoops the eternal pimp
11/19/2006, 07:17 PM
whoever wins out of USC and ND will play in the NC because Michigan is done and we all know that voters have amnesia..if those teams falter to someone else then SEC winner will probably go

Readyfor8
11/19/2006, 07:44 PM
I have been doing this math for a few weeks now. Consider this.

There are currently 14 teams ranked ahead of us.

The Big East has West Virginia, Louisville, and Rutgers. One will lose (Rutgers or West Virginia) giving us a good shot to pick up 2 spots in the poll but we are guaranteed moving up atleast one spot.

The Big10 has three teams ranked ahead of us, Michigan, Ohio St. and Wisconsin. Wisconsin can't and won't go to the BCS that moves us up to 13th, in the BCS conservativly.

The SEC has four teams ahead of us, Auburn, LSU, Florida, and Arkansas, that moves us up 2 spots at a minimum with LSU still to play Arkansas, this could give us 2 more spots, moving us up to 11th in the BCS.

At that point we are conservativly 12th in the BCS (excluding the no more than 2 rule teams.) Provided that we travel as well or better than any team ahead of us, and we have an all-star early first round offensive juggernaut in Adrian Petersen all but guaranteed to break a school record on Prime-Time National TV, I think we are a very likely candidate to make it into the BCS this year.

If the ACC champ gets left out for Boise St. that makes it even more likely.

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2006, 07:47 PM
The ACC champ doesn't get left out even if Boise is in...Boise just gets in too. But I still think we'll slide in.

Readyfor8
11/19/2006, 08:04 PM
The ACC champ can get left out if they aren't in the top 16 of the BCS, and Boise St. can take that slot.

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2006, 08:07 PM
I don't think that's what that rule means. I think it means Boise gets an automatic At Large Bid, but the ACC champ still goes.

Maybe I'm misreading it, but I don't think it ever says they REPLACE the lower ranked champ.

Readyfor8
11/19/2006, 08:11 PM
I was under the impression Pitt almost got left out last year or the year before (when Miami and Va Tech left) because the Big east was so god aweful. Unfortunatly they were 16th in the BCS and played Notre Dame or something.

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2006, 08:13 PM
I think the debate at that time was whether some of the higher ranked teams from non-BCS conferences should be left out for a team so crappy. Then I believe the rule we're discussing here was implemented to avoid that happening without ALSO "screwing over" a BCS conference champ.

bri
11/19/2006, 08:31 PM
I don't know if they still have it in this version of the BCS, but they did used to have the "Big East rule" that stated if the champion of one of the BCS conferences sucked badly enough for multiple years (I want to say four), that conference would get kicked out of the BCS. Pretty harsh in a frickin' HILARIOUS way. :D

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2006, 09:00 PM
I'd love to see that happen.

bri
11/19/2006, 09:25 PM
Yeah, the ACC is finding out what happens when you try to become a "superconference" (ala Big 12 or SEC), but your "powerhouse" teams fall flat. With scUM and Free Shoes U both in the crapper, they're left with a bunch of almost identical 3- to 4-loss teams beating each other up to try and make it into a championship game that no one will watch.

it's GLORIOUS. :D

proudsoonergal
11/19/2006, 09:56 PM
I was under the impression Pitt almost got left out last year or the year before (when Miami and Va Tech left) because the Big east was so god aweful. Unfortunatly they were 16th in the BCS and played Notre Dame or something.

Pitt played Utah in the Fiesta and lost badly.

Boise State would not be replacing the ACC champ. It is just another method for the non-BCS schools to insure they have a "fair" shot at the BCS. Boise and the ACC champion would both be in BCS games.

bri
11/19/2006, 10:09 PM
Boise State would not be replacing the ACC champ. It is just another method for the non-BCS schools to insure they have a "fair" shot at the BCS. Boise and the ACC champion would both be in BCS games.

Exactly. It's the reason they added the fifth game.

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2006, 11:15 PM
That's what I thought.

KingDavid
11/19/2006, 11:23 PM
The ACC champ doesn't get left out even if Boise is in...Boise just gets in too. But I still think we'll slide in.

Unless Boise falters, the only way we slide in is if voters pick us over a one loss WV or Louisville. tough call.

StoopTroup
11/19/2006, 11:27 PM
I think The Big 8 allowing all those bottom dweller SWC tejas teams into the Big XII has helped our BCS rankings. With teams like the whorns losing to teams like KSU...it really helps our BCS situation most years. :D

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2006, 11:28 PM
That's not the only way, but it sure would be a nice thing.

bri
11/20/2006, 12:16 AM
Unless Boise falters, the only way we slide in is if voters pick us over a one loss WV or Louisville. tough call.

It's not about voters. It's the bowls themselves that pick the teams.

badger
11/20/2006, 12:33 AM
BCS made easy-

TEN teams go to BCS games. (2 for championship, 8 for the four main games)
SIX are from the BCS conference champions (ACC, Big Easy, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac-10)
FOUR at-large bids.

So there you have it. For OU to go, it must either be...

1- Big 12 champ (automatic qualifier)
2-At-large selection for one of four extra spots.

Hope I made it easier :D

bri
11/20/2006, 12:36 AM
So, if Boise State finds the Dark Crystal, they go to the BCS and both us AND the ACC champion get left out?

Well, that doesn't seem fair. Can we, like, sue or something? I say we sue the bowl voters.