PDA

View Full Version : Who are some interesting people you sat next to on airplanes?

lexsooner
11/19/2006, 12:51 PM
1. OSU homecoming queen candidate on her way to an FBI internship in D.C. Never hardly flown before or shot a gun, but she is determined to fight terrorism an an FBI agent and serve the US of A. Sweet farm girl, really nice person, never stopped talking. I still keep in touch with her.

2. A woman who was a 25 year breast cancer survivor. I pass her story along to women I know with breast cancer. This woman was inspiring.

3. Big jockish-looking dude who denied he was an air marshal but had a bogus story about going to do business in Albany, NY, even though the flight was headed for Balt.Wash. Int'l. Oops, after a while all the destinations run together if you fly all the time. Who else would want to sit backwards facing the entire cabin, but an air marshal?

4. East Indian guy blaring his Sony Walkman headphones so loud that the flight attendant snapped at him to turn it down, "It's annoying!" He got off at the main Continental hub in Houston like about everyone else on the plane, but then came back, so I moved seats to get away from him.

5. Mike Gaddis' girlfriend's dad, who was a rec center supervisor at Boston College. He had a big box of lobsters while fit poorly under the seat in front of him, so his feet were propped up on the box the whole flight. Super nice guy. Offered me a free workout if I ever headed up to the BC campus. I later talked to a co-worker who went to BC and she laughed because she remembered the guy, anal to the max about recreation center rules.

6. Austrian woman who worked as a buyer for a clothing line in Palm Beach, FL. She went to a design/business school in FL, and laughed when I asked if some women went into buying because they liked to shop. She said it was true, although the field requires lots of business/accounting ability.

7. Shifty-eyed little creep who before he deplaned, looked around in a shifty manner before stealing the plane's Fortune magazine. A real perv.

Etc. etc.

usmc-sooner
11/19/2006, 01:20 PM
I sat next to Joe Seay (former OSU wrestling coach) once.

I got off a plane once, in uniform and a older lady walks up and hugs me and said thank you.

nothing to exciting.

King Crimson
11/19/2006, 01:22 PM
i sat next to this old guy from Arizona with a cowboy hat and a bolo tie once and he SBD farted about every 5 minutes. and it was noxious, eye watering type stuff. he name was JR Stitt.

11/19/2006, 01:23 PM
A 13-year-oldish kid puked all over the back of my seat last time I flew. We were still on the tarmac waiting to take off.

That's sort of interesting.

Bakasooner
11/19/2006, 01:33 PM
Jeez, Lex....

You must be one of those guys I always end up sitting next to. You know the ones. The guys that won't shut up. ;)

ouflak
11/19/2006, 01:40 PM
Well the typical mixture of people you might meet such as you've met. The one time I've flown first class international, I sat beside Xavier Koller (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002699/), director of the Oscar winning film Reise der Hoffnung. It took me about an hour to get used to that wierd Swiss dialect of German he spoke.

SeattleOUstudent
11/19/2006, 01:46 PM
Well the typical mixture of people you might meet such as you've met. The one time I've flown first class international, I sat beside Xavier Koller (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002699/), director of the Oscar winning film Reise der Hoffnung. It took me about an hour to get used the that wierd Swiss dialect of German he spoke.

Ich weiss nicht Reise der Hoffnung.

Newbomb Turk
11/19/2006, 01:47 PM
Got to fly 1st class on a business trip about 10 years ago, flying from OKC to Memphis. The guy beside me was a VP for GM, and was on his way back to Detriot. He said he Isiah Thomas was his neighbor.

StoopTroup
11/19/2006, 02:03 PM
Marc Singer...

My Wife and I were flying to Oahu and Marc and his Wife were flying home after being in LA on business. Nice guy IMO.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/d/dar1.jpg

I was leaving Tampa after Super Bowl 35 and was trying to get on an earlier flight. Michael Irvin and I were the last two to board. Folks were asking me if I was his agent. :D

SoonerInKCMO
11/19/2006, 02:05 PM
I sat next to a hottie with a nice rack once.

JohnnyMack
11/19/2006, 02:06 PM
I sat in front of an NFL referee flying from Orange County to DFW on a Saturday night. He called the Cowboys game the next day.

Other than I don't remember. I'm not a chatty person on planes. Besides I'm usually sitting with co-workers.

SoonerStormchaser
11/19/2006, 02:12 PM
I sat across the aisle from Emmanuel Lewis last year in first class on a flight from Orlando to Atlanta. Really pleasent and funny guy.

jk the sooner fan
11/19/2006, 02:15 PM
Peter Weller - robocop....courtesy of a first class upgrade

OUHOMER
11/19/2006, 02:29 PM
Barry Switzer about 10 to 15 years ago. Trent Smith sat behind me last time I flew.

StoopTroup
11/19/2006, 02:37 PM
I was flying on this packed plane one day and this lady's kid was just throwing down a tantrum of all tantrums. She let the kid sit in the aisle for a few minutes and the kid just sat there and stared at all of us sitting behind his Mom. I made eye contact with the kid and he started crawling towards me. His Mom turned and was watching him. As he approached he was smiling, so i said "hey little guy...how you doing?". The kid smiled again and then tried to bite my ankle!

I'm pretty sure the kid needed an Exorcism.

He almost got me...good thing I could pull my legs up into my lap and get away from him before his Mom grabbed him...

BeetDigger
11/19/2006, 02:58 PM
I don't remember too may people, they all tend to blend together after 15 years and thousands of flights. I do remember this lady who was a reporter for CNN however.

And one time I was shopping in DC at a Banana Republic. The next day, as I boarded the flight to go back to Seattle, I recognized the flight attendent as the clerk from the Banana Republic. She gave me free drinks the whole flight and as we chatted away. She then sent home a bottle of wine with me. About a year later, I saw her on another flight. She gave me more free drinks and another bottle of wine.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/19/2006, 03:39 PM
I sat next to two very unusual "women" one time. One looked like a cartoon character I have seen in Walt Disney cartoons. A mouse of some kind, I think. The other was most likely a trans-gender type. I secretly studied "her" face for beard stubble, and never was certain. I don't recall drinking on that flight.

DoubleDown
11/19/2006, 03:51 PM
I was coming home to OKC after I ended my active obligated service in Corpus Christi when I got on the plane and noticed about 20-25 of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. I was wondering where they all came from when we were about to take off and the pilot came over the loudspeaker and welcomed the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders to the flight. We stopped over in Houston and they all left, but that was a solid 30-45 minutes of pure oogling.

Good times, good times.

proud gonzo
11/19/2006, 04:06 PM
Marc Singer...

My Wife and I were flying to Oahu and Marc and his Wife were flying home after being in LA on business. Nice guy IMO.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/d/dar1.jpg

I was leaving Tampa after Super Bowl 35 and was trying to get on an earlier flight. Michael Irvin and I were the last two to board. Folks were asking me if I was his agent. :D
BEASTMASTER! did he have the ferrets with him? :D

lexsooner
11/19/2006, 04:16 PM
I was at Bluegrass airport yesterday with what appeared to be the UK basketball team, since Tubby Smith was there with them. But the more I looked, the more I noticed most of the players in blue warmups were not that tall, and most of them were white. Tubby stood in the security line for a while and then turned around and left and then started chatting with some folks, probably parents of some of the players. Tubby seemed like a real nice guy. Anyway, the team was on its way to play in the Maui Classic, and they were on a Delta flight to Salt Lake City. However, this commercial flight was for the SCRUBs, the bench warmers and some admin. staff. Tubby left and probably caught a charter flight with the real team and coaches.

apusooner
11/19/2006, 04:16 PM
i sat next to mark clayton once. he was on his way to phoenix for nfl training or something. there was also a softball player from ASU in our row. she invited him to her apt within 20 minutes of the flight. i was wishing i was mark clayton for a while. she was hot.

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/19/2006, 04:20 PM
I sat across from Tommy Bowden from DFW to Orlando.

I am not sure his feet were touching the floor

goodonya
11/20/2006, 11:37 AM
Like some people here I have taken literally thousands of flights over the last 8 - 10 years. I always, always have either my Bose head phones or at a minimum silicone earplugs. During this period I got most of my sleep on airplanes.

The two most interesting for me was a combination of cool and uncool. I took a flight from S. Africa to Australia on a packed 747 leaving at midnight. My seat was next to a "local" that was dressed in rags and an old military coat. He reeked of wood smoke, feces, urine and BO. I got up at the chime and began to search out a seat but they were full. Finally after one of the attendants got a good nose full she let me get into the two curtained rows at the back of coach used for crew rest. I could not get the smell off my clothes for the whole trip.

The other one was coming from Sydney to LA. I got upgraded and sat next to Garth Brooks who was just finishing out a tour. I did not say anything to him for a couple of hours. When I was changing the batteries on my Bose he started up a conversation and we talked for about 3-hours. What a great guy.

There may have been more interesting people to get a story on if I wasn't such a 30,000 ft. snob.

C&CDean
11/20/2006, 11:44 AM
we've covered this topic before, but a few I've sat next to:

Bart Starr
Patrick Ewing
J.C. Watts
Bob Stoops (and several other OU football coaches)
Barry Switzer
Bobby Proctor
B.J. Thomas
Alice Cooper
Jack Spates
Kelvin Sampson
Keating's wife (can't remember her name) and she's pretty danged hot for an "older" gal
Linda Carter (Wonder Woman)
And a whole ****pot more I can't remember.

plumbob
11/20/2006, 11:50 AM
Peter Weller
Sam Donaldson
Buford Pusser
Gene Stipe
Shawn Michaels

picasso
11/20/2006, 11:51 AM
Kathy Keating.

we sat next to a nerd last year from Houston. he was flying back home from Tulsa and liked to laugh at his own jokes. he reminded me of many dorks on this board.

plumbob
11/20/2006, 11:56 AM
There are dorks on this board?

C&CDean
11/20/2006, 11:57 AM
There are now.

plumbob
11/20/2006, 11:58 AM
Where?

Xstnlsooner
11/20/2006, 11:59 AM
Does Picasso count?

picasso
11/20/2006, 12:00 PM
Does Picasso count?
nope, unless we're having a dance contest.

plumbob
11/20/2006, 12:01 PM
brotherly love is precious:D

Xstnlsooner
11/20/2006, 12:02 PM
Care to tango then??

Mjcpr
11/20/2006, 12:08 PM
Leonid Brezhnev
Mel Torme
Howard Hughes

plumbob
11/20/2006, 12:30 PM
Care to tango then??

Do I get to choose?

picasso
11/20/2006, 12:32 PM
sorry Bob, I don't dance on your team.

OhU1
11/20/2006, 12:59 PM
I once sat next to this dude that thought he was some kind of tennis star. Said he ran marathons. Thought he could predict the results of football games like he was Stu Finer or Bobby Gold. Claimed to live in Kentucky. Real obnoxious guy.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/20/2006, 03:45 PM
Leonid Brezhnev
Mel Torme
Howard HughesLEONID BREZHNEV!!! Private charter?

Mjcpr
11/20/2006, 03:47 PM
LEONID BREZHNEV!!! Private charter?
Surprisingly, we were flying Southwest into Memphis. Who knew he had a thing for Elvis?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/20/2006, 04:32 PM
My wife flew from Houston to Lubbock with Bobby Knight on her plane. I didn't know Bobby Knight flew Southwest...

Also, since I was in basketball band, I got to fly on a plane with Sherri Coale and Krista Sanchez!!!:D :D :D :D :D