PDA

View Full Version : Brian Britt

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 11:46 PM
Oh, fyi, if anyone is wondering who I am... find the 2001 Pride CD. Listen to Malaguena. The trombone solo? Me.

Oh yeah? Get the Extreme self-titled album. That guitar solo in "Mama (Don't Wanna Go to School Today)?

Nuno Bettencourt. But I've air-guitared to it several times.

Frozen Sooner
Oh, fyi, if anyone is wondering who I am... find the 2001 Pride CD. Listen to Malaguena. The trombone solo? Me.

Oh yeah? Get the Extreme self-titled album. That guitar solo in "Mama (Don't Wanna Go to School Today)?

Nuno Bettencourt. But I've air-guitared to it several times.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
:les: BRING BACK KELLI AND KIM MASTERS!!!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 11:47 PM

A guy on my dorm floor by the name of Chris Tweedy was dating one of them-Kelli I think. I liked that guy.

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 11:47 PM

A guy on my dorm floor by the name of Chris Tweedy was dating one of them-Kelli I think. I liked that guy.

soonerboomer93
11/20/2006, 11:48 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

soonerboomer93
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
Brazil needs to really export their waxing techniques to Korea

GHP like monobrows :mad:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
Brazil needs to really export their waxing techniques to Korea

GHP like monobrows :mad:

gyrocaps
Since you're too fuggin lazy to find it yourself. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1668488&postcount=150)

Thank you, I appreciate that

Band not loud enough
Band cannot march in straight lines
Band Director is a ********* whom has threatened people using his position of allged power
Band in an attempt to show spirit has committed the sin of 'Aggieism' albeit unintentionally
Band is too quiet
Band is too quiet
and last but not least
Band is too quiet.

Band not loud enough - show me the evidence that isn't biased and I'll believe you

Band Director is a ********* whom has threatened people using his position of allged power - do you personally know Brian Britt? I do, in fact, and I have a ton of respect for him (obviously, or I wouldn't go to bat for him like this). How much truth there is to the "threatening" incident, I don't know, but I'd say it was blown way out of proportion in any case. Mr. Britt isn't a very threatening guy.

Band in an attempt to show spirit has committed the sin of 'Aggieism' albeit unintentionally - this is the one I have the hardest time with. You guys laugh about how the ****** game is the biggest of the season for OSU and how we're all they ever think about, but is the Waving Wheat (a state symbol, mind you) the first thing that comes to mind when you see someone waving their arm? Must be hard for you guys to greet folks from a distance. This isn't an "Aggieism" and I'd say it's fairly commonplace at sporting events across the nation. If you want to argue something, argue that we're conforming to the rest of sports, not that we're imitating OSU. Actually, why don't you guys suggest something else we can do during that drum beat?

gyrocaps
Since you're too fuggin lazy to find it yourself. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1668488&postcount=150)

Thank you, I appreciate that

Band not loud enough
Band cannot march in straight lines
Band Director is a ********* whom has threatened people using his position of allged power
Band in an attempt to show spirit has committed the sin of 'Aggieism' albeit unintentionally
Band is too quiet
Band is too quiet
and last but not least
Band is too quiet.

Band not loud enough - show me the evidence that isn't biased and I'll believe you

Band Director is a ********* whom has threatened people using his position of allged power - do you personally know Brian Britt? I do, in fact, and I have a ton of respect for him (obviously, or I wouldn't go to bat for him like this). How much truth there is to the "threatening" incident, I don't know, but I'd say it was blown way out of proportion in any case. Mr. Britt isn't a very threatening guy.

Band in an attempt to show spirit has committed the sin of 'Aggieism' albeit unintentionally - this is the one I have the hardest time with. You guys laugh about how the ****** game is the biggest of the season for OSU and how we're all they ever think about, but is the Waving Wheat (a state symbol, mind you) the first thing that comes to mind when you see someone waving their arm? Must be hard for you guys to greet folks from a distance. This isn't an "Aggieism" and I'd say it's fairly commonplace at sporting events across the nation. If you want to argue something, argue that we're conforming to the rest of sports, not that we're imitating OSU. Actually, why don't you guys suggest something else we can do during that drum beat?

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 11:49 PM
GHP like wookie :mad:

Apparently so.

Frozen Sooner
GHP like wookie :mad:

Apparently so.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
I do, in fact, and I have a ton of respect for him (obviously, or I wouldn't go to bat for him like this).

gyrocaps = catcher

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
I do, in fact, and I have a ton of respect for him (obviously, or I wouldn't go to bat for him like this).

gyrocaps = catcher

PrideTrombone
11/20/2006, 11:50 PM
Actually, why don't you guys suggest something else we can do during that drum beat?

How about the "O" and "U" arm motions that we USED to do during that cadence?

PrideTrombone
Actually, why don't you guys suggest something else we can do during that drum beat?

proud gonzo
I was referring to "Get 'EM!"I knew that one!!!

hehehe

proud gonzo
I was referring to "Get 'EM!"I knew that one!!!

hehehe

soonerboomer93
You guys are killing me, and I have work to do

soonerboomer93
You guys are killing me, and I have work to do

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi

how about dropping to the ground and sizzling like bacon?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 11:51 PM

I vote for monkey drills.

Monkey drills are always entertaining.

Frozen Sooner

I vote for monkey drills.

Monkey drills are always entertaining.

soonerboomer93

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner

Or is that something done under Coach, so Brian Britt has to get rid of it???

soonerboomer93

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner

Or is that something done under Coach, so Brian Britt has to get rid of it???

GottaHavePride

It happened to PrideTrombone. I was standing about 20 feet away.

GottaHavePride

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 11:52 PM

Yeah, maybe you shoulda been teaching your section members "Oklahoma" right then, huh?

;)

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 11:52 PM

Yeah, maybe you shoulda been teaching your section members "Oklahoma" right then, huh?

;)

Sooner_Havok
11/20/2006, 11:53 PM

BURN

Sooner_Havok

BURN

birddog
i still say do the african dance patrick dempsey did in Can't Buy Me Love.

i think that turned into raisin' the roof.

:D

birddog
i still say do the african dance patrick dempsey did in Can't Buy Me Love.

i think that turned into raisin' the roof.

:D

soonerboomer93
11/20/2006, 11:54 PM
:les:

:les: GHPWNED

soonerboomer93
:les:

:les: GHPWNED

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
its the african anteater ritual :mad:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi

Scott D
11/20/2006, 11:55 PM

I agree , appearance wise he looks like a young Charles Martin Smith who isn't threatening at all. However, lording your alleged influence over someone in an implied manner would still be a threat.

Scott D

I agree , appearance wise he looks like a young Charles Martin Smith who isn't threatening at all. However, lording your alleged influence over someone in an implied manner would still be a threat.

GottaHavePride
Oh, and the incident: PrideTrombone had dared to express views similar to mine - that we disagreed with how the Pride is being run now based on our musical background. the thread was perfectly civil until the (at the time) uniform manger came on here and bitched out PT and hurricane'bone (another former Pride member). Britt threatened that if PT ever said anything like that again in a public forum he would be banned from Catlett and he vaguely hinted that PT might find it very difficult to get a job in this state as a band director.

GottaHavePride
Oh, and the incident: PrideTrombone had dared to express views similar to mine - that we disagreed with how the Pride is being run now based on our musical background. the thread was perfectly civil until the (at the time) uniform manger came on here and bitched out PT and hurricane'bone (another former Pride member). Britt threatened that if PT ever said anything like that again in a public forum he would be banned from Catlett and he vaguely hinted that PT might find it very difficult to get a job in this state as a band director.

hurricane'bone
c'mon gyrocaps....what other things are the members of The Pride of Oklahoma having to do this year as compared to years past?

hurricane'bone
c'mon gyrocaps....what other things are the members of The Pride of Oklahoma having to do this year as compared to years past?

GottaHavePride
11/20/2006, 11:56 PM

;)

We were alumni at the time who happened to turn up to pre-game warm up to say hi to the bone section that we had been section leaders of the year before.

GottaHavePride

;)

We were alumni at the time who happened to turn up to pre-game warm up to say hi to the bone section that we had been section leaders of the year before.

Frozen Sooner

Mindless sycophantry takes time.

Frozen Sooner

Mindless sycophantry takes time.

colleyvillesooner
I'm in the Pride, threatening yo peeps

colleyvillesooner
I'm in the Pride, threatening yo peeps

birddog
11/20/2006, 11:57 PM

heh. that was some smooth action.

birddog

heh. that was some smooth action.

gyrocaps

I believe it might be a different cadence, but I'm not sure. We still do one with the OU arm motions, also. This is certainly a viable option. Has anyone approached Mr. Britt with this idea in a reasonable way?

As for the more on their plate comment. I basically reference my personal experience over three years of Pride. We have more pep bands (and pep bands at longer distances), harder shows visually and musically and more criticism from ungrateful fans.

Do any of you really believe that your rude complaints and confronting the directors in public will get you anywhere? Do you really think that whining in a forum and calling for the firing of a highly respected university employee will really get people behind you? If you did succeed in getting Mr. Britt fired, I can almost guarantee it would hurt the Pride more than it would help it.

Really, do I think I'm going to change anyone's mind in this conversation? In the same light, is this conversation going to make me change my mind about Brian Britt? No and no.

gyrocaps

I believe it might be a different cadence, but I'm not sure. We still do one with the OU arm motions, also. This is certainly a viable option. Has anyone approached Mr. Britt with this idea in a reasonable way?

As for the more on their plate comment. I basically reference my personal experience over three years of Pride. We have more pep bands (and pep bands at longer distances), harder shows visually and musically and more criticism from ungrateful fans.

Do any of you really believe that your rude complaints and confronting the directors in public will get you anywhere? Do you really think that whining in a forum and calling for the firing of a highly respected university employee will really get people behind you? If you did succeed in getting Mr. Britt fired, I can almost guarantee it would hurt the Pride more than it would help it.

Really, do I think I'm going to change anyone's mind in this conversation? In the same light, is this conversation going to make me change my mind about Brian Britt? No and no.

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2006, 11:59 PM
FIRE CALVIN SIMPSON!

Frozen Sooner
FIRE CALVIN SIMPSON!

colleyvillesooner

Glad you grasped the concept of teh internets. Thanks for playing. ;)

colleyvillesooner

Glad you grasped the concept of teh internets. Thanks for playing. ;)

birddog
11/21/2006, 12:00 AM
alright man, you win. britt's the best.

i don't give a damn about the pride now but i sure thought it was great when i was a kid.

birddog

i don't give a damn about the pride now but i sure thought it was great when i was a kid.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
wow, so its the FANS FAULT. hallelujah, we have a scapegoat!!!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
wow, so its the FANS FAULT. hallelujah, we have a scapegoat!!!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
FIRE CALVIN SIMPSON!

how are you supposed to do that with brian britt?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
FIRE CALVIN SIMPSON!

PrideTrombone
11/21/2006, 12:01 AM

Ah, OK... from the video I saw, I thought they had changed the arm motions during the Immigrant Song cadence. If it's a different cadence, oh well... I'm pretty sure you don't have to have an exclusive move for each cadence. You're seemingly literate, creative people. Figure something else out.

Many people have tried talking respectfully to Mr. Britt in private about concerns they've had, and all that I've spoken with seem to have the same general opinion... they felt like they were dismissed and never really taken seriously. At least with Coach and Roland they'd tell you "You know, we're really not interested in your opinion." At least then you knew where you stood. :)

PrideTrombone

Ah, OK... from the video I saw, I thought they had changed the arm motions during the Immigrant Song cadence. If it's a different cadence, oh well... I'm pretty sure you don't have to have an exclusive move for each cadence. You're seemingly literate, creative people. Figure something else out.

Many people have tried talking respectfully to Mr. Britt in private about concerns they've had, and all that I've spoken with seem to have the same general opinion... they felt like they were dismissed and never really taken seriously. At least with Coach and Roland they'd tell you "You know, we're really not interested in your opinion." At least then you knew where you stood. :)

Frozen Sooner

FIRE BYRON BERT! :MAD:

Frozen Sooner

FIRE BYRON BERT! :MAD:

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 12:03 AM
Remember when the band used to score like a hundred points all the time and would never go more than 2 minutes without playing "Boomer Sooner"?

Frozen Sooner
Remember when the band used to score like a hundred points all the time and would never go more than 2 minutes without playing "Boomer Sooner"?

Scott D

So your counter argument is that the leaders that be are overloading you with 'work' and because of that fundamentals be damned? Sounds to me that clearly there is a vision and reality issue at the top.

Scott D

So your counter argument is that the leaders that be are overloading you with 'work' and because of that fundamentals be damned? Sounds to me that clearly there is a vision and reality issue at the top.

gyrocaps
So basically you just said "Hey, it's not Mr. Britt's fault, we have lazy-*** kids who can't play, either." It's not that hard to snap your mark time if you take some personal pride in how you do things. Anyone who actually ends up putting the work in and making the Pride ought to be able to learn their freaking music. And if they don't, screw 'em. Get rid of them.

I'm sure your years in Pride were flawless and your every waking moment was dedicated to the perfection of the band.

By the way, please don't put words in my mouth. I never say anyone in the Pride was lazy. You of all people should know that being in the Pride is no simple task and that there are always people who are sub-par when it comes to their ability. Without them, the Pride would be a lot smaller. Take off your rose-colored glasses.

Must be nice to be able to critique one of the best marching bands in the nation.

gyrocaps
So basically you just said "Hey, it's not Mr. Britt's fault, we have lazy-*** kids who can't play, either." It's not that hard to snap your mark time if you take some personal pride in how you do things. Anyone who actually ends up putting the work in and making the Pride ought to be able to learn their freaking music. And if they don't, screw 'em. Get rid of them.

I'm sure your years in Pride were flawless and your every waking moment was dedicated to the perfection of the band.

By the way, please don't put words in my mouth. I never say anyone in the Pride was lazy. You of all people should know that being in the Pride is no simple task and that there are always people who are sub-par when it comes to their ability. Without them, the Pride would be a lot smaller. Take off your rose-colored glasses.

Must be nice to be able to critique one of the best marching bands in the nation.

Sooner_Havok
11/21/2006, 12:04 AM

Wasn't it great? I remember a time when the Pride actually instilled PRIDE in the fans. But I guess we suck as fans now because we don't want our band to look bad

Sooner_Havok

Wasn't it great? I remember a time when the Pride actually instilled PRIDE in the fans. But I guess we suck as fans now because we don't want our band to look bad

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
As for the more on their plate comment. I basically reference my personal experience over two years of Coach Blake. We have more offenses (and some offenses have more than 2 plays), harder special teams numerically and procedurally and yet we get criticism from ungrateful fans.

Do any of you really believe that your rude complaints and confronting the coaches in public will get you anywhere? Do you really think that whining in a forum and calling for the firing of a highly respected university employee will really get people behind you? If you did succeed in getting John Blake fired, I can almost guarantee it would hurt OU Football more than it would help it.

fixed

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
As for the more on their plate comment. I basically reference my personal experience over two years of Coach Blake. We have more offenses (and some offenses have more than 2 plays), harder special teams numerically and procedurally and yet we get criticism from ungrateful fans.

Do any of you really believe that your rude complaints and confronting the coaches in public will get you anywhere? Do you really think that whining in a forum and calling for the firing of a highly respected university employee will really get people behind you? If you did succeed in getting John Blake fired, I can almost guarantee it would hurt OU Football more than it would help it.

fixed

Sooner_Havok
11/21/2006, 12:06 AM
Must be nice to be able to critique what used to be one of the best marching bands in the nation.

Fixed

Sooner_Havok
Must be nice to be able to critique what used to be one of the best marching bands in the nation.

Fixed

Brian Britt
Hi!

Let's fire up for message board excellence, and transcend normal human behavior!

Why are you talking?
Do I come to your place of work and interrupt you?

Hate is a very dangerous emotion.
It's also like drinking poison in order to harm your enemies, against all reason, it doesn't work and just ends up killing you.

I'm not too big of a man to come down here with regular fans and have a conversation.

Could you please give me a clear, concise, point-by-point list of complaints or proactive remarks you could give me in order for me to be a more effective educator?

Brian Britt
Hi!

Let's fire up for message board excellence, and transcend normal human behavior!

Why are you talking?
Do I come to your place of work and interrupt you?

Hate is a very dangerous emotion.
It's also like drinking poison in order to harm your enemies, against all reason, it doesn't work and just ends up killing you.

I'm not too big of a man to come down here with regular fans and have a conversation.

Could you please give me a clear, concise, point-by-point list of complaints or proactive remarks you could give me in order for me to be a more effective educator?

colleyvillesooner
http://images.cafepress.com/product/11833816_240x240_Front.jpg

colleyvillesooner
http://images.cafepress.com/product/11833816_240x240_Front.jpg

gyrocaps

So it was cool for Coach to tell you to go to hell, but not OK when Mr. Britt does it. Totally logical.

gyrocaps

So it was cool for Coach to tell you to go to hell, but not OK when Mr. Britt does it. Totally logical.

birddog

i get pretty bored now when they play. :(

birddog

PrideTrombone
11/21/2006, 12:11 AM

When Coach did it, there was no illusion of student input. You simply put up or left. With Britt, there were definitely times in section leader meetings and other times where he would actually ask for input and then get offended because the input didn't match what he wanted.

PrideTrombone

When Coach did it, there was no illusion of student input. You simply put up or left. With Britt, there were definitely times in section leader meetings and other times where he would actually ask for input and then get offended because the input didn't match what he wanted.

hurricane'bone

Why even have a cadence at all? We seemed to do fine with just raising our right index finger or horn and yelling "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" waiting for the kick-off and to play William Tell.

More pep bands as in, more pep band gigs at away games or more trips to away games? Because if it is the latter, its wrong, I've never seen a game in the past few years that there hasn't been at least a 50 member pep band there. As for the longer distances, yeah thats the case but well. Pep Bands weren't mandatory when I was in Pride so I don't see that as a valid excuse.

As for the harder shows, I'd like some unbiased evidence that the shows are harder.

hurricane'bone

Why even have a cadence at all? We seemed to do fine with just raising our right index finger or horn and yelling "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" waiting for the kick-off and to play William Tell.

More pep bands as in, more pep band gigs at away games or more trips to away games? Because if it is the latter, its wrong, I've never seen a game in the past few years that there hasn't been at least a 50 member pep band there. As for the longer distances, yeah thats the case but well. Pep Bands weren't mandatory when I was in Pride so I don't see that as a valid excuse.

As for the harder shows, I'd like some unbiased evidence that the shows are harder.

Scott D
11/21/2006, 12:12 AM

it's all in presentation...something clearly Master Britt doesn't care much for.

Scott D

it's all in presentation...something clearly Master Britt doesn't care much for.

Brian Britt
And thanks for going to bat for me Chris Eva...gyrocaps!
You're first chair today!

Brian Britt

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 12:13 AM

In my experience in the business world, easy usually means "someone else is doing it."

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 12:13 AM

In my experience in the business world, easy usually means "someone else is doing it."

OUAndy1807
11/21/2006, 12:14 AM
1) The shows this year were weak and there were only about 3 shows total. When I was in the Pride, it was a new show every week, except after Texas.
2) When you scramble from the ending set of one song to a stationary set for the next, that doesn't count as a routine. Again it's weak.
3) Gyro- are we to understand that the waiving wheat thing was implemented by Britt. If so, that alone should get him fired.
4) Nobody wants to hear Strike Up the Band or Sing, Sing, Sing anymore.
5) Try to come up with a couple of more stingers that "That's the way I like it" and "Crazy Train" They're like 16 bars, you can't work on more than 2?
6) Drop the PC crap and start allowing the band to say that the opposing team sucks in their chants that go along with the drum cadences.
7) Britt tried to drop You're a Grand Old Flag from the pregame, but added it back after 9-11. If you think it shouldn't be there, have the balls to stick with the decision to remove it.
8) If you're going to insist that your staff wear sportscoats, for the love of god at leat make them Crimson. They look like a bunch of tools in Black sportcoats. It may be more professional, but we're talking about a freaking marching band for a college football team.
9) Britt should force everyone to drain their spitvalves onto whomever is starting the wave over there. It's dumb.

on a side note: I hope everyone enjoyed the last year of the running band.

OUAndy1807
11/21/2006, 12:14 AM
1) The shows this year were weak and there were only about 3 shows total. When I was in the Pride, it was a new show every week, except after Texas.
2) When you scramble from the ending set of one song to a stationary set for the next, that doesn't count as a routine. Again it's weak.
3) Gyro- are we to understand that the waiving wheat thing was implemented by Britt. If so, that alone should get him fired.
5) Try to come up with a couple of more stingers that "That's the way I like it" and "Crazy Train" They're like 16 bars, you can't work on more than 2?
6) Drop the PC crap and start allowing the band to say that the opposing team sucks in their chants that go along with the drum cadences.
7) Britt tried to drop You're a Grand Old Flag from the pregame, but added it back after 9-11. If you think it shouldn't be there, have the balls to stick with the decision to remove it.
8) If you're going to insist that your staff wear sportscoats, for the love of god at leat make them Crimson. They look like a bunch of tools in Black sportcoats. It may be more professional, but we're talking about a freaking marching band for a college football team.
9) Britt should force everyone to drain their spitvalves onto whomever is starting the wave over there. It's dumb.

Sooner_Havok
11/21/2006, 12:15 AM

Yeah it is sad. I use the quiet time to call my friends and get scores to other games. :(

Sooner_Havok

Yeah it is sad. I use the quiet time to call my friends and get scores to other games. :(

PrideTrombone

My JOB was to critique when I was there. You say that the Pride would be a lot smaller without the sub-par people? Great!! Why not cut down to 265-270, get some more room in the stands, and jettison some of those people who can't cut it anyway? If you're a musical or visual drain on the band, then there's really no point in being there. 270 people playing clean will make more sound than 315 playing dirty. I guarantee you those 45-50 people make a gigantic difference.

Was my "every waking moment dedicated to the perfection of the band"? No, but I was good enough it didn't have to be. If someone isn't getting done what they need to get done in order for the band to be excellent visually and musically, then yes, I'd say they're lazy. Yes, my words, not yours.

PrideTrombone

My JOB was to critique when I was there. You say that the Pride would be a lot smaller without the sub-par people? Great!! Why not cut down to 265-270, get some more room in the stands, and jettison some of those people who can't cut it anyway? If you're a musical or visual drain on the band, then there's really no point in being there. 270 people playing clean will make more sound than 315 playing dirty. I guarantee you those 45-50 people make a gigantic difference.

Was my "every waking moment dedicated to the perfection of the band"? No, but I was good enough it didn't have to be. If someone isn't getting done what they need to get done in order for the band to be excellent visually and musically, then yes, I'd say they're lazy. Yes, my words, not yours.

OUAndy1807
11/21/2006, 12:17 AM
ooooh, everyone welcome the board's newest member: The honorable Brian Britt.

OUAndy1807
ooooh, everyone welcome the board's newest member: The honorable Brian Britt.

gyrocaps

Laughable, Mr. Britt is one of the most straightforward, sincere and honest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

How many of you actually know Brian Britt personally?

This is a viable option too, why don't you suggest it cordially to someone who can change it?

And then there are people like this guy that can create and account to blatantly defame someone and it's ignored. People like this guy take away any credibility this board ever had, which was little.

I suggest you guys stick to Sooner Football, rather than the Pride. You probably know more about that and have more valid opinions about it. If we were #1 in the nation and undefeated ready to go to the NC, you guys would never even notice the Pride.

gyrocaps

Laughable, Mr. Britt is one of the most straightforward, sincere and honest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

This is a viable option too, why don't you suggest it cordially to someone who can change it?

And then there are people like this guy that can create and account to blatantly defame someone and it's ignored. People like this guy take away any credibility this board ever had, which was little.

I suggest you guys stick to Sooner Football, rather than the Pride. You probably know more about that and have more valid opinions about it. If we were #1 in the nation and undefeated ready to go to the NC, you guys would never even notice the Pride.

Scott D
11/21/2006, 12:18 AM
I used to take his lunch money in Durant during middle school. Thanks for playing.

Scott D
11/21/2006, 12:18 AM
I used to take his lunch money in Durant during middle school. Thanks for playing.

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:20 AM
[quote]My JOB was to critique when I was there. You say that the Pride would be a lot smaller without the sub-par people? Great!! Why not cut down to 265-270, get some more room in the stands, and jettison some of those people who can't cut it anyway? If you're a musical or visual drain on the band, then there's really no point in being there. 270 people playing clean will make more sound than 315 playing dirty. I guarantee you those 45-50 people make a gigantic difference.

If we cut down the band to those numbers, we'd be a lot quieter and you guys would complain even more.

Maybe you should've tried harder to make your section better? Maybe you should've learned to play with a group a little better so you don't stick out like you did throughout the entire Pride CD?

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:20 AM
[quote]My JOB was to critique when I was there. You say that the Pride would be a lot smaller without the sub-par people? Great!! Why not cut down to 265-270, get some more room in the stands, and jettison some of those people who can't cut it anyway? If you're a musical or visual drain on the band, then there's really no point in being there. 270 people playing clean will make more sound than 315 playing dirty. I guarantee you those 45-50 people make a gigantic difference.

If we cut down the band to those numbers, we'd be a lot quieter and you guys would complain even more.

Maybe you should've tried harder to make your section better? Maybe you should've learned to play with a group a little better so you don't stick out like you did throughout the entire Pride CD?

Scott D
11/21/2006, 12:21 AM

would anyone really notice if the clarinets and flutes went missing?

Scott D

would anyone really notice if the clarinets and flutes went missing?

OUAndy1807
[quote=PrideTrombone]

uh-oh, this is getting personal.

OUAndy1807
[quote=PrideTrombone]

uh-oh, this is getting personal.

cofCtuba
11/21/2006, 12:22 AM

None of that is true. I know him personally.

cofCtuba

Brian Britt
[QUOTE=gyrocaps]

Now Chris, you're not contributing to this dialogue in a healthy, constructive manner. If you have any issues with anyone on this board, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to sit down with you in their office and discuss things like adults.

Brian Britt
[QUOTE=gyrocaps]

Now Chris, you're not contributing to this dialogue in a healthy, constructive manner. If you have any issues with anyone on this board, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to sit down with you in their office and discuss things like adults.

PhxSooner

My husband has known his family for years. Thank you.

PhxSooner

My husband has known his family for years. Thank you.

hurricane'bone
11/21/2006, 12:23 AM

I do.

Done.

hurricane'bone

I do.

Done.

gyrocaps
I'm a trombone player myself (and All-Stater at that, since we're tooting our own horns here) so I have to be critical.

gyrocaps
I'm a trombone player myself (and All-Stater at that, since we're tooting our own horns here) so I have to be critical.

OUAndy1807
yeah, but do you know him in the biblical sense of the word, like gyro?

OUAndy1807
yeah, but do you know him in the biblical sense of the word, like gyro?

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 12:24 AM
Actually, I recall people complaining about the band in 2004-so no, if we were undefeated and heading to the national championship game, I imagine people would still notice that the Pride wasn't what it used to be.

And PT made a great point-fewer people playing in unison sound louder than more people playing a cacophony.

Frozen Sooner
Actually, I recall people complaining about the band in 2004-so no, if we were undefeated and heading to the national championship game, I imagine people would still notice that the Pride wasn't what it used to be.

And PT made a great point-fewer people playing in unison sound louder than more people playing a cacophony.

PhxSooner
The Pride was in the 220-230 range in the mid-90s and wasn't quiet at all.

PhxSooner

PrideTrombone

Not true. Sound waves work better when they happen at the same time and at the same frequency. Otherwise those little tiny 135-person DCI groups would be quieter than the Pride, which isn't the case at all.

Please reference the year I stuck out throughout the entire CD. I did stick out for two whole notes (Robin Hood) in 1999. As for the other comment, I was referring to my own playing and marching. As a section leader, I did everything I could to make people get better (even getting called in once because some of my more sensitive members thought I was being too pushy in demanding that they do well).

PrideTrombone

Not true. Sound waves work better when they happen at the same time and at the same frequency. Otherwise those little tiny 135-person DCI groups would be quieter than the Pride, which isn't the case at all.

Please reference the year I stuck out throughout the entire CD. I did stick out for two whole notes (Robin Hood) in 1999. As for the other comment, I was referring to my own playing and marching. As a section leader, I did everything I could to make people get better (even getting called in once because some of my more sensitive members thought I was being too pushy in demanding that they do well).

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:26 AM

Why am I not surprised that you're a tuba player?

I guarantee that I interact with Mr. Britt more on a weekly basis than you do. He is a fantastic person. I sit through section leader meetings every week and can SEE the suggestions from Pride members being implemented. This man isn't some fake, pompous prick that you all make him out to be. Guess that's what groupthink will get you.

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:26 AM

I guarantee that I interact with Mr. Britt more on a weekly basis than you do. He is a fantastic person. I sit through section leader meetings every week and can SEE the suggestions from Pride members being implemented. This man isn't some fake, pompous prick that you all make him out to be. Guess that's what groupthink will get you.

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:27 AM

You pull that mid-90s memory out and pretend like it's a valid comparison! Way to go!

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:27 AM

You pull that mid-90s memory out and pretend like it's a valid comparison! Way to go!

Jimminy Crimson
11/21/2006, 12:28 AM
This man isn't some fake, pompous prick that you all make him out to be.

Then tell him to ditch the 39.99 suit, earpiece, and mirrored sunglasses.

Jimminy Crimson
11/21/2006, 12:28 AM
This man isn't some fake, pompous prick that you all make him out to be.

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:29 AM

If you're who I think you are, I'd say I know it firsthand. I don't really need a CD, to be honest.

Somehow you fit the music major archetype perfectly. It's like I'm reading a novel.

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:29 AM

If you're who I think you are, I'd say I know it firsthand. I don't really need a CD, to be honest.

Somehow you fit the music major archetype perfectly. It's like I'm reading a novel.

PrideTuba
11/21/2006, 12:30 AM

What does this have anything to do with the situation?

PrideTuba

Frozen Sooner

Considering that based on your comments here you were under the age of 13 in the mid-90s, I'll take her memories over yours. She was actually there.

Frozen Sooner

Considering that based on your comments here you were under the age of 13 in the mid-90s, I'll take her memories over yours. She was actually there.

Jimminy Crimson

Post of the thread! Nice job, Andy.

I hope you're right about the stupid running band.

:les: DON'T PLAY WHEN WE'RE ON OFFENSE!!!1!1!!11!!!

Jimminy Crimson

Brian Britt
Oh, and could someone please tell Dolemite that I have no beef with him?

Please?
And tell those fine young gentlemen that firebrianbritt.com is not proactive or excellent?

Brian Britt
Oh, and could someone please tell Dolemite that I have no beef with him?

Please?
And tell those fine young gentlemen that firebrianbritt.com is not proactive or excellent?

PhxSooner
11/21/2006, 12:31 AM
Wow. What an obnoxious reply. I didn't pull that memory out of thin air; I've got the end-year video tapes of the Pride to show how loud we were. You said that a smaller band couldn't be louder; I disagree.

PhxSooner
Wow. What an obnoxious reply. I didn't pull that memory out of thin air; I've got the end-year video tapes of the Pride to show how loud we were. You said that a smaller band couldn't be louder; I disagree.

gyrocaps

Oh snap! Pull out that reference to his attire! Ouch! My guess is that those suits are a polite recommendation from people higher up than Mr. Britt. Would you rather him wear a cutoff hoodie like Bill Belichick? How cool would THAT be?

gyrocaps

Oh snap! Pull out that reference to his attire! Ouch! My guess is that those suits are a polite recommendation from people higher up than Mr. Britt. Would you rather him wear a cutoff hoodie like Bill Belichick? How cool would THAT be?

Sooner_Havok
:confused:

OK, I was never good enough to be in the pride (although I think I could cut it now even after 5 years off) but I seem to remember the pride being a whole lot louder back as short ago as 2000. And I may not be an acoustic genius, but shouldn't a larger band sound louder than a smaller one if the larger band is playing at least as good as the smaller one?

Sooner_Havok
:confused:

OK, I was never good enough to be in the pride (although I think I could cut it now even after 5 years off) but I seem to remember the pride being a whole lot louder back as short ago as 2000. And I may not be an acoustic genius, but shouldn't a larger band sound louder than a smaller one if the larger band is playing at least as good as the smaller one?

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:32 AM

Everything.

gyrocaps

Everything.

Frozen Sooner
I'm relatively sure that Joe Castiglione hasn't recommended that ANYONE wear a 39.99 suit.

Frozen Sooner
I'm relatively sure that Joe Castiglione hasn't recommended that ANYONE wear a 39.99 suit.

PhxSooner
11/21/2006, 12:33 AM
I do know that there were staff at the time who were very glad to ditch the red jackets. But the change had nothing to do with suggestions from higher ups.

PhxSooner
I do know that there were staff at the time who were very glad to ditch the red jackets. But the change had nothing to do with suggestions from higher ups.

PrideTrombone

I'm fairly certain I don't know you. So either you're wrong about who I am, or I have now reached legend status (for better or worse) around there. :texan:

PrideTrombone

I'm fairly certain I don't know you. So either you're wrong about who I am, or I have now reached legend status (for better or worse) around there. :texan:

PrideTuba
11/21/2006, 12:35 AM
Everything.

So playing tuba has everything to do with the reason that people dont like the Pride and dont like Brian? How?

PrideTuba
Everything.

So playing tuba has everything to do with the reason that people dont like the Pride and dont like Brian? How?

GottaHavePride

Recordings are NOT valid comparisons. They digitally master them now and no doubt scrub and pump up the sound. they didn't do any of that even in 2000.

and for a side note - if you were an all-stater on trombone why did you march baritone?

GottaHavePride

Recordings are NOT valid comparisons. They digitally master them now and no doubt scrub and pump up the sound. they didn't do any of that even in 2000.

and for a side note - if you were an all-stater on trombone why did you march baritone?

Frozen Sooner
What's the music major archetype anyhow?

Someone who understands how harmony works?

Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 12:36 AM

I don't play tuba, though no doubt I would have.

I'm husky.

Quick! Someone give that guy a bass guitar!

Frozen Sooner

I don't play tuba, though no doubt I would have.

I'm husky.

Quick! Someone give that guy a bass guitar!

GottaHavePride

Nah, PT doesn't fit the "music major" archetype. Heck, just the other day Irv Wagner said "that guy's not your average band director, he can actually PLAY his horn" about PT.

GottaHavePride

Nah, PT doesn't fit the "music major" archetype. Heck, just the other day Irv Wagner said "that guy's not your average band director, he can actually PLAY his horn" about PT.

Jimminy Crimson
11/21/2006, 12:37 AM

Joe C. sports a nice Crimson jacket at most games. It looks less 'secret service' than the current get-up.

Oh and while we're constructively criticising all things band, the basketball bands need to ditch their threads and wear the crimson Nike sideline pullovers. I've seen other bball pep bands do this (MichSt, most notably) and it looks better than whats worn now. Thanks!

Jimminy Crimson

Joe C. sports a nice Crimson jacket at most games. It looks less 'secret service' than the current get-up.

Oh and while we're constructively criticising all things band, the basketball bands need to ditch their threads and wear the crimson Nike sideline pullovers. I've seen other bball pep bands do this (MichSt, most notably) and it looks better than whats worn now. Thanks!

Sooner_Havok

Don't sell yourself short, you are a legend in our eyes :D

Sooner_Havok

PrideTrombone
11/21/2006, 12:38 AM

Sweet. I want a statue of myself then. :D

PrideTrombone

hurricane'bone

heh. I still wear my basketball band tie sometimes, it is always a good conversation piece.

hurricane'bone

heh. I still wear my basketball band tie sometimes, it is always a good conversation piece.

Frozen Sooner

I have no idea who Irv Wagner is, so I'm just going to laugh.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Frozen Sooner

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

hurricane'bone
11/21/2006, 12:39 AM

Dude, I made the freakin' stadium have your name on it! Isn't that better than a statue?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

hurricane'bone

Dude, I made the freakin' stadium have your name on it! Isn't that better than a statue?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

cdlbdd
this is very entertaining

cdlbdd

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/21/2006, 12:40 AM

[joe c]they need blazers[/joe c]

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi

GottaHavePride

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Trombone professor here since 1969 and past-president of the International Trombone Association. ;)

GottaHavePride

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Trombone professor here since 1969 and past-president of the International Trombone Association. ;)

PrideTrombone
11/21/2006, 12:41 AM

Best recital poster that year. :dolemite:

PrideTrombone

Best recital poster that year. :dolemite:

GottaHavePride

Joe C actaully tried to get the basketball band to wear sequined vests like Missouri's band. Roland Barret told him "those are dog-ugly and we're not gonna wear them." so now they have to dress like Jim Tressel.

GottaHavePride

Joe C actaully tried to get the basketball band to wear sequined vests like Missouri's band. Roland Barret told him "those are dog-ugly and we're not gonna wear them." so now they have to dress like Jim Tressel.

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 12:42 AM

Ah.

That's quite the compliment, then.

Frozen Sooner

Ah.

That's quite the compliment, then.

Brian Britt
I hire GAs on the basis of looks alone.

Brian Britt

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by OUAndy1807

1) There were 4 shows this year which, if you think about it, was because of the way the schedule fell. Also, I doubt you had a brand new show for every single game except Texas.
2) Yes, scrambling is gay, I agree. If that's your only valid complaint, I won't be surprised.
3) No, I'm pretty sure the Pride itself just did it naturally. No one ever said (especially not a Director) that we were to wave our arms during that specific cadence. It fits the cadence and it was more than likely something that originated in the drumline.
4) We aren't playing either of those again.
5) We also have Mortal Kombat, El Toro Caliente, the opening to Mask of Zorro and Respect (if you want to call that a "stinger") to go along with all of the standard rah-rahs.
6) Direct order from President David Boren. You can talk to him. Call his hotline.
7) I've never heard that before and you complain about GoF being boring anyway. Why are you complaining, because he put it back in after about 3000 Americans died and the flag was the country's greatest symbol of national pride? Good argument, dude.
8) So I guess good ol' Joe Castiglione is a big ol' tool also. Because Mr. Britt doesn't dress like a 70 year old Coach, he is somehow lame?
9) That's just dumb. We don't start the wave and we have no control over the students around us. We're too busy playing after every down.

What was the running band reference? I'm almost certain we aren't cutting running band.

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by OUAndy1807

1) There were 4 shows this year which, if you think about it, was because of the way the schedule fell. Also, I doubt you had a brand new show for every single game except Texas.
2) Yes, scrambling is gay, I agree. If that's your only valid complaint, I won't be surprised.
3) No, I'm pretty sure the Pride itself just did it naturally. No one ever said (especially not a Director) that we were to wave our arms during that specific cadence. It fits the cadence and it was more than likely something that originated in the drumline.
5) We also have Mortal Kombat, El Toro Caliente, the opening to Mask of Zorro and Respect (if you want to call that a "stinger") to go along with all of the standard rah-rahs.
6) Direct order from President David Boren. You can talk to him. Call his hotline.
7) I've never heard that before and you complain about GoF being boring anyway. Why are you complaining, because he put it back in after about 3000 Americans died and the flag was the country's greatest symbol of national pride? Good argument, dude.
8) So I guess good ol' Joe Castiglione is a big ol' tool also. Because Mr. Britt doesn't dress like a 70 year old Coach, he is somehow lame?
9) That's just dumb. We don't start the wave and we have no control over the students around us. We're too busy playing after every down.

What was the running band reference? I'm almost certain we aren't cutting running band.

Brian Britt
11/21/2006, 12:44 AM
http://welovemrbritt.ytmnd.com/

People love me!

Brian Britt

People love me!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi

how come you didn't go to north texas?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi

how come you didn't go to north texas?

OUAndy1807
11/21/2006, 12:45 AM
What was the running band reference? I'm almost certain we aren't cutting running band.we'll see.

OUAndy1807
What was the running band reference? I'm almost certain we aren't cutting running band.we'll see.

MelloYello

Shocking!

MelloYello

Shocking!

GottaHavePride

Yeah. We did. I remember learning all-new music and drill in one week on more than one occasion.

GottaHavePride

Yeah. We did. I remember learning all-new music and drill in one week on more than one occasion.

gyrocaps

Yes, and a video tape is completely exemplary of how loud a band is. I'm sure the same recording hardware was used and the audio was normalized so the two could be compared side to side. That like saying you can get the full effect of the Blue Devils by turning up your speakers real loud.

gyrocaps

Yes, and a video tape is completely exemplary of how loud a band is. I'm sure the same recording hardware was used and the audio was normalized so the two could be compared side to side. That like saying you can get the full effect of the Blue Devils by turning up your speakers real loud.

OUAndy1807
11/21/2006, 12:46 AM

People love me!

I'm torn. Is he a tool that I should hate, or a tool that I should feel sorry for? I can't tell after looking at those pics.

OUAndy1807
11/21/2006, 12:46 AM

People love me!

I'm torn. Is he a tool that I should hate, or a tool that I should feel sorry for? I can't tell after looking at those pics.

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:47 AM

Because I felt like it, super-sleuth facebooker. Way to abuse your moderator powers.

gyrocaps

Because I felt like it, super-sleuth facebooker. Way to abuse your moderator powers.

cdlbdd
why would i go to north texas?

cdlbdd
why would i go to north texas?

MelloYello

People love me!

Positive self-eestem can be dangerous. It may imply that you consider yourself above others, which is NOT what the University of Oklahoma and the Pride of Oklahoma are all about.

Pukes...

MelloYello

People love me!

Positive self-eestem can be dangerous. It may imply that you consider yourself above others, which is NOT what the University of Oklahoma and the Pride of Oklahoma are all about.

Pukes...

Scott D
11/21/2006, 12:48 AM

Castiglione being a tool is brought to you by Carl's Jr. Try our Jalapeno Cheeseburger, because we had it before Wendy's...Carl's Jr., we make stuff first.

Scott D
11/21/2006, 12:48 AM

Castiglione being a tool is brought to you by Carl's Jr. Try our Jalapeno Cheeseburger, because we had it before Wendy's...Carl's Jr., we make stuff first.

Sooner_Havok
11/21/2006, 12:49 AM

Let's not place the blame for that totally uncool waving wheat crap on the coolest members of any band, the percussion section :cool:

Sooner_Havok

Let's not place the blame for that totally uncool waving wheat crap on the coolest members of any band, the percussion section :cool:

Brian Britt
http://mrbrittrules.ytmnd.com/

Hate is a very powerful and dangerous emotion.

Brian Britt
http://mrbrittrules.ytmnd.com/

Hate is a very powerful and dangerous emotion.

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2006, 12:50 AM
I'm not sure what good the constant "Yes, and a" blah blah smarmy responses are supposed to be proving.

PhxSooner was there. She was in the band in the early-mid 90s. If she says that it was louder back then, then I've got no reason to doubt her word on it-especially since what she's saying seems to be backed up by other people who were there.

A cacophony is not louder than a harmonic. You get wave cancellations out of the cacophony. Thus, you can have addition by subtraction in this example.

Frozen Sooner
I'm not sure what good the constant "Yes, and a" blah blah smarmy responses are supposed to be proving.

PhxSooner was there. She was in the band in the early-mid 90s. If she says that it was louder back then, then I've got no reason to doubt her word on it-especially since what she's saying seems to be backed up by other people who were there.

A cacophony is not louder than a harmonic. You get wave cancellations out of the cacophony. Thus, you can have addition by subtraction in this example.

PhxSooner
Whatever. You won't accept anyone's opinion of anything Pride related from before this year, so why try to argue.

I'm not saying we were the best Pride ever to take the field. I would definitely give that to the mid to late 80's Pride. But I wouldn't run down the Pride from the 90's, seeing as how your assistant director was in it during those years.

And before you ask, yes, I do know him.

PhxSooner
Whatever. You won't accept anyone's opinion of anything Pride related from before this year, so why try to argue.

I'm not saying we were the best Pride ever to take the field. I would definitely give that to the mid to late 80's Pride. But I wouldn't run down the Pride from the 90's, seeing as how your assistant director was in it during those years.

And before you ask, yes, I do know him.

OUAndy1807
here's one gyro made:
http://brian.britt.youaremyfriend.com/ (http://brianbritt.youaremyfriend.com/)

OUAndy1807
here's one gyro made:

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:51 AM

I agree, you let Joe know I'm down for that. I want some phat Nike gear.

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:51 AM

OUAndy1807
11/21/2006, 12:53 AM
he said Basketball Band, not Women's Basketball Band.

OUAndy1807
he said Basketball Band, not Women's Basketball Band.

MelloYello

I think the drumline was asked by the football team to play something to pump them up before kick-off, and once they started playing it, members of the Pride starting swaying their arms back and forth. Not sure this sway was designed to emulate the morons in Stoolwater.

MelloYello

I think the drumline was asked by the football team to play something to pump them up before kick-off, and once they started playing it, members of the Pride starting swaying their arms back and forth. Not sure this sway was designed to emulate the morons in Stoolwater.

proud gonzo
Because I felt like it, super-sleuth facebooker. Way to abuse your moderator powers. abuse? :rolleyes:

proud gonzo
Because I felt like it, super-sleuth facebooker. Way to abuse your moderator powers. abuse? :rolleyes:

Sooner_Havok
here's one gyro made:

Sooner_Havok
here's one gyro made:

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:54 AM

Then you should tell your girlfriend PhxSooner to not reference a recording as her evidence that the Pride was louder. If she says they were louder, I have no reason to doubt her, either. I'm just not terribly concerned with the volume of the Pride.

Most GOOD marching band directors would tell you they prefer a good sound over volume. Don't try to argue with me about the sound of the Pride, I know we sound good.

gyrocaps
11/21/2006, 12:54 AM

Then you should tell your girlfriend PhxSooner to not reference a recording as her evidence that the Pride was louder. If she says they were louder, I have no reason to doubt her, either. I'm just not terribly concerned with the volume of the Pride.

Most GOOD marching band directors would tell you they prefer a good sound over volume. Don't try to argue with me about the sound of the Pride, I know we sound good.

Sooner_Havok
11/21/2006, 12:55 AM
Gawd, my little thread has more posts than I do. My little boy has grown up and become a man!

Sooner_Havok
11/21/2006, 12:55 AM
Gawd, my little thread has more posts than I do. My little boy has grown up and become a man!