PDA

View Full Version : Liquor in Grapevine

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/18/2006, 08:50 PM
I just had dinner at a Mexican place in Grapevine. They don't serve beer, but there were some people there who brought in their own 6-pack. They gave them a bucket with ice in it so it could be kept cold.

Is this because of some weirdo liquor law?

Newbomb Turk
11/18/2006, 09:05 PM
I just had dinner at a Mexican place in Grapevine. They don't serve beer, but there were some people there who brought in their own 6-pack. They gave them a bucket with ice in it so it could be kept cold.

Is this because of some weirdo liquor law?

If so, I like that law.

Cam
11/18/2006, 09:09 PM
I think it's a dry county. You have to be a member to purchase/consume. That's why you have to sign up for some drinking card at clubs or bars. That restaurant just might not want to put up with the hassle of all of that to serve alcohol.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/18/2006, 09:26 PM
Oh ok. Makes sense.

BeetDigger
11/18/2006, 09:34 PM
Actually, it's pure greatness in a way. You bring your own beer, they keep it cold for you and you just pay for the meal. Some restaurants in Chicago were the same way.

Newbomb Turk
11/18/2006, 09:36 PM
Actually, it's pure greatness in a way. You bring your own beer, they keep it cold for you and you just pay for the meal. Some restaurants in Chicago were the same way.

your avatar is pure greatness.

who the hell is she?

mrowl
11/18/2006, 10:13 PM
I think it's a dry county. You have to be a member to purchase/consume. That's why you have to sign up for some drinking card at clubs or bars. That restaurant just might not want to put up with the hassle of all of that to serve alcohol.

nope. Its just a BYOB place. There are dozens around dfw.

StoopTroup
11/18/2006, 10:15 PM
Isn't this really a form of bootlegging?

Oh...and we probably taught tejas how to do that too. :D

Cam
11/18/2006, 10:18 PM
nope. Its just a BYOB place. There are dozens around dfw.
Ok. I thought Grapevine was dry. Not the first/last time I've been wrong.

BeetDigger
11/18/2006, 10:32 PM
your avatar is pure greatness.

who the hell is she?

Not sure. Just saw the pic and thought she belonged on the board.

mdklatt
11/18/2006, 10:38 PM
I think it's a dry county.

Nope, Dallas County is dry, not Tarrant. Hence all the liquor stores at the county line. Good jorb, Baptists, prohibition is really working.

jk the sooner fan
11/18/2006, 10:41 PM
dallas county is dry?

i wonder if the city of addison knows about that...

mdklatt
11/18/2006, 10:58 PM
dallas county is dry?

i wonder if the city of addison knows about that...

Most of Dallas County?

BeetDigger
11/18/2006, 11:18 PM
This whole freakin state is a screwed up mish mash of liquor laws. Its not even consistent within counties or cities. What is the reason for having dry counties when all you have to do is "join" a club, that is free btw.? Some areas sell only beer, others beer and wine, others nothing, others sell everything. Its a big pain in the arse.

jk the sooner fan
11/18/2006, 11:27 PM
dallas county is not dry.....it has liquor o' plenty

GrapevineSooner
11/19/2006, 01:20 AM
Individual cities can decide whether or not to allow alcohol sales in grocery stores, liquor stores, or restaurants. I know for a fact that Dallas, itself, is quite wet. As is Addison.

Coppell, OTOH, is dry.

And BTW, which Mexican restaurant was this that you visited, SBSB.

colleyvillesooner
11/19/2006, 01:24 AM
$10 says it's off NW Highway.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/19/2006, 10:24 AM
Individual cities can decide whether or not to allow alcohol sales in grocery stores, liquor stores, or restaurants. I know for a fact that Dallas, itself, is quite wet. As is Addison.

Coppell, OTOH, is dry.

And BTW, which Mexican restaurant was this that you visited, SBSB.It was called Los Amigos. Good food and all, but next time I'll bring my own cervesas.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/19/2006, 10:25 AM
$10 says it's off NW Highway.Yes, it's kind of by the downtown area, I think.

colleyvillesooner
11/19/2006, 10:48 AM
$10 says it's off NW Highway.

Sweet, I just won $10...from myself.

GrapevineSooner
11/19/2006, 01:34 PM
It might be the only Mexican restaurant on NW Highway now that La Casa is no more. :(

mdklatt
11/20/2006, 10:58 AM
Individual cities can decide whether or not to allow alcohol sales in grocery stores, liquor stores, or restaurants.

This is what I meant by "dry". And I rarely drink, so I have no idea what all the specific rules are.

I know for a fact that Dallas, itself, is quite wet. As is Addison.

Then how come the Albertson's on Clark Road and Mt. Creek Parkway doesn't sell alcohol? It's on the Dallas/Duncanville border, but definitely the Dallas side. Why are there only liquor stores in certain areas? I went to a club in Dallas last year and had to "join" their local drinking club, or whatever is you do so you can buy a drink.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 10:59 AM
It might be the only Mexican restaurant on NW Highway now that La Casa is no more. :(

Thre's that one, and the one in the shopping center just past the Whataburger. It's in the same shopping center as that good BBQ place.

GrapevineSooner
11/20/2006, 03:06 PM
Thre's that one, and the one in the shopping center just past the Whataburger. It's in the same shopping center as that good BBQ place.

Forgot about Lucy's.

I ate there once.

Once. ;)

plumbob
11/20/2006, 03:16 PM
liquor in the front, poker in the rear

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 03:27 PM
thanks! Excellent post!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/20/2006, 03:32 PM
Any suggestions as to good restaurants in the Grapevine/Colleyville/Southlake area?

I saw a Buca di Beppo, which I love. Any others?

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 03:35 PM
Any suggestions as to good restaurants in the Grapevine/Colleyville/Southlake area?

I was gonna say there. I love that place.

La Hacienda has really good fajitas.

this place has good breakfast: http://www.snootypig.com/

Taxman71
11/20/2006, 03:44 PM
Speaking of dry counties.....went to a convert at Riverwind the other night. Since it is currently dry, their "bartender" sold pepsi, diet pepsi, sprite-like drink, and TONIC water in styrofoam cups during the concert. The line was long and many went for multiple refills. Apparently, BYOB is encouraged, just don't flaunt it. Personally, I like getting to drink top shelf at a concert for liquor store prices.

OklahomaRed
11/20/2006, 04:23 PM
Most of Dallas County?

You actually don't know, do you? Just to busy slammin the Baptist every chance you get? Were you wronged by some Baptist somewhere? I'm actually not Baptist, but it's funny to watch you jump on religion every chance you get. ::D

It's probably by precinct, but I'm just guessin, and there were probably some other people in that precint besides Baptist. Perhaps a bunch of Muslims, since they actually will throw you in jail for drinking. :cool:

TexasLidig8r
11/20/2006, 04:29 PM

Main Street Blues in Grapevine has kickin' food.... great atmosphere and great jazz/blues acts there usually.

The City of Dallas is selectively wet/dry. The reasoning is based on the belief that liquor stores and serving alcohol leads to greater instances of crime and liquor related violence. The old City leaders were concerned about protecting the integrity of neighborhoods and family areas thus, certain parts of the city were designated as "dry areas."

For example, there are two liquor stores at the corner of Walnut Hill and Marsh and then.. nothing else as far west as on the western side of Harry Hines.. nothing north until Addison, nothing until south of Northwest Highway and nothing east until Central Distressway. Naturally, "private club" status allowed restaurants to bypass these restrictions.

mrowl
11/20/2006, 04:45 PM

Brio, Mi Cocina, or Blue Mesa Cafe in Southlake Town Square

And Snuffers just opened in Southlake town square if you want the best burgers and cheese fries EVER.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/20/2006, 04:53 PM
I will keep these suggestions in mind. My brother's family hasn't ventured much beyond some seafood place in downtown Grapevine and the California Pizza Kitchen.

plumbob
11/20/2006, 04:54 PM
thanks! Excellent post!

Ha ha, another self-appointed SF.com post critic/hall monitor, there sure are a lot of those around here.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 05:00 PM
Ha ha, another self-appointed SF.com post critic/hall monitor, there sure are a lot of those around here.

Well, somebodys gotta balance out all the dumbasses.

GrapevineSooner
11/20/2006, 11:46 PM
Since we're on the topic and I know the owners of these two places...

For Italian food, you can't go wrong with Armend's in Southlake (located at the end of a strip shopping center where Fast Signs is and right across from Lowe's on the other side of 1709) or Vinny's in Trophy Club at Trophy Club Drive and 114). Both places are owned by European immigrants by way of New York/New Jersey so the food is very excellent.

They're also BYOB.

If you like Mexican, there's Anamia's in Southlake right across the Grapevine/Colleyville border (In same complex as Bed Bath & Beyond and Old Navy), Esparza's in Downtown Grapevine, and Gloria's in Colleyville near Market Street grocery store at Hall-Johnson and Highway 26

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 11:53 PM
If you like Mexican, there's Anamia's in Southlake right across the Grapevine/Colleyville border (In same complex as Bed Bath & Beyond and Old Navy), Esparza's in Downtown Grapevine, and Gloria's in Colleyville near Market Street grocery store at Hall-Johnson and Highway 26

If you want a full throttle margarita, go to Esparaza's, but don't have more than two. :D

And Glorias is really good, but it's a mexican/Salvadorian mix.

mrowl
11/21/2006, 07:15 AM
and only drink at Esparzas, the food is not what they are known for. YWIA.