PDA

View Full Version : Somebody else needs to be returning punts.

JohnnyMack
11/18/2006, 03:40 PM
TIA.

Newbomb Turk
11/18/2006, 03:40 PM
YWIA

OUinFLA
11/18/2006, 03:51 PM
No thank you, my knees are just to beat up.
But, I appreciate the offer.
Besides, I think my elegibility was up about 37 years ago.

SoonerLB
11/18/2006, 03:57 PM
Not a bad idea. I think Reggie needs some serious work on both ball handling and tackling! It is great that he makes great plays once in a while, but then to hand the ball back like that, I couldn't believe it. And the whiff on that tackle was about as lame an effort at tackling that I have seen in a while.

I don't feel that he deserved Player of the Game either.

There were far too many mistakes on offense today, and if those kinds of mistakes are made next week, things might not come out in our favor.

goingoneight
11/18/2006, 05:07 PM
Reggie is fine... Nobody complained when he was returning the ball against Washington, Oregon and Middle Tennessee, did they? The WR escaped the tackle, it's not like Reggie slipped up. Reggie is one of the all out stars on the field, folks. Player of the game??? Well, had Malcom Kelly not dropped the ball in the red zone, him or Chris Brown, IMHO...

AzianSooner
11/18/2006, 05:12 PM
I don't mind to carry the ball for OU. But. I will make sure to buy my life insurance before doing that.

AFLACK...QUAXCK.

Stoop Dawg
11/18/2006, 05:12 PM
How many kicks/punts has Reggie dropped? Not many.

Flagstaffsooner
11/18/2006, 05:15 PM
No thank you, my knees are just to beat up.
But, I appreciate the offer.
Besides, I think my elegibility was up about 37 years ago.Your Social Security was up 37 years ago.

Seriously, did Reggie look out of it today? Tired or something.

rhombic21
11/18/2006, 05:42 PM
Reggie did look tired. I could see him breathing very heavily on a couple of those punts. I think that with his knee injury, which has probably limited his ability to practice and work on conditioning, he may be a little bit overworked.

crimson&cream
11/18/2006, 06:01 PM
Reggie is fine... Nobody complained when he was returning the ball against Washington, Oregon and Middle Tennessee, did they? The WR escaped the tackle, it's not like Reggie slipped up. Reggie is one of the all out stars on the field, folks. Player of the game??? Well, had Malcom Kelly not dropped the ball in the red zone, him or Chris Brown, IMHO...
Those were games at the start of the season, he has looked shakey the last 5/6 games.

bri
11/18/2006, 06:01 PM

Dude, your crazy "logic" has no purchase here.

sooneron
11/18/2006, 06:10 PM
There were far too many mistakes on offense today, and if those kinds of mistakes are made next week, things will not come out in our favor.
fixed

batonrougesooner
11/18/2006, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he lost his job returning punts to Iggy today.

AzianSooner
11/18/2006, 06:11 PM
All the errors will be fixed next week.

Sooner98
11/18/2006, 06:40 PM
I'd be happy to return punts for OU, that is if you all don't mind me calling for a fair catch every time. :D

sanantoniosooner
11/18/2006, 06:58 PM
If we canned everyone after a mistake there would be no players or coaches left.

the_ouskull
11/18/2006, 07:10 PM
But at least YOU'D still be around in your own mind.

the_ouskull

sanantoniosooner
11/18/2006, 07:13 PM
But at least YOU'D still be around in your own mind.

the_ouskull
I'm going to have to drop a manual buzzer on that one.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

No RACK for you.

JohnnyMack
11/18/2006, 07:31 PM

That was then, this is now. That was pre-injury. He's had the dropsies since.

Pepper
11/18/2006, 07:50 PM
Reggie hasn't done anything at punt returner since the first few games. He botched the punt in the texas game too. Sorry but he's killing us.

OU-HSV
11/18/2006, 08:01 PM
To me it seems like although he may not have many fumbles or many lost fumbles, he's had an awful lot of awkward looking catches and too many near fumbles. But the problem is he is a heck of a runner when he does get a little space and when he isn't fair catching it, he's a big threat. Hopefully the butterfingers of late are fluke.

sooner94
11/18/2006, 08:04 PM

Actually, Reggie has been really bad at catching the ball since the first few games of the season. This is what I found:

Texas- 1 punt fumbled, we got it back
Iowa St- 1 punt fumbled, we got it back
Colorado- 1 punt fumbled, we got it back
Baylor- 2 punts fumbled, both lost

That's 5 fumbles in the last 7 games. That is PATHETIC.

Let's see what someone else can do.

OU-HSV
11/18/2006, 08:07 PM
Actually, Reggie has been really bad at catching the ball since the first few games of the season. This is what I found:

Yikes, that bad huh? Well then surely we've got someone else who can catch punts and be a playmaker.

JohnnyMack
11/18/2006, 08:16 PM

But Bri says we should keep him......

MI Sooner
11/18/2006, 08:48 PM
I've been complaining about his punt-catching skills all year. Even when he catches it, he has to go to the ground way too frequently. Dude looks like the girls on my co-ed softball team when they have a fly ball hit to them.

I was also surprised to see him caught from behind on his second INT return. I keep hearing what a playmaker he is, but so far, I've seen a guy with excellent coverage skills do asked to do almost everything besides cover. He often doesn't do it that well. I don't think he looks that great in the open field either.

Any chance he's back at corner next year (where he'd be a sure NFL draft pick)? It's great that he's been willing to switch positions to help the team, but I don't think it's helping his football career.

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2006, 12:08 AM
I was gonna say the same thing...the girly falling down is getting old. He's an amazing player, but between the recent fumbles and the flopping to the ground like a beached fish on every fair catch it's time for him to focus on defense and get someone else on returns. I think part of the problem is that on so many of the punt return opportunities he's already breathing heavy from his efforts on D.

Soonerus
11/19/2006, 12:10 AM
Hanta Yo! is not the right quote....

Pricetag
11/19/2006, 12:14 AM
He's trying too hard. He was shaking his head out there every time someting went bad for him. One time, after he had fumbled a punt, he made a good play on defense, but when the camera went back to him, he was still shaking his head. It just didn't seem like he was having fun at all.

colleyvillesooner
11/19/2006, 12:26 AM
I noticed on Baylors last kick off after the Pick 6, Reggie was not deep, but playing on the front line. Message sent.

colleyvillesooner
11/19/2006, 12:27 AM
The WR escaped the tackle, it's not like Reggie slipped up.

What play were you watching? I thought Brandon Everage was back on the team after that shoulder whiff. ;)

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2006, 12:28 AM
Hanta Yo! is not the right quote....

Why do you say that?

birddog
11/19/2006, 12:36 AM
to me it looks like he's too far from the ball as it drops into his hands.

then other times it looks like he falls backwards as he brings the ball in.

Scott D
11/19/2006, 12:43 AM
The WR escaped the tackle, it's not like Reggie slipped up.

More like he juked around a diving player...it wasn't a tackle in a conventional sense of the word. More like going for a diving hit low and flat out missing.

colleyvillesooner
11/19/2006, 12:49 AM
More like he juked around a diving player...it wasn't a tackle in a conventional sense of the word. More like going for a diving hit low and flat out missing.

Like I said, an "Everage" ;)

Scott D
11/19/2006, 12:51 AM
Like I said, an "Everage" ;)

That would require leading with a disintegrated shoulder ;)

colleyvillesooner
11/19/2006, 01:11 AM
Oh, yeah. :D

bri
11/19/2006, 03:32 AM
That would require leading with a disintegrated shoulder ;)

You left out the part about driving through parks with a crapload of pot. :D

Boffingham
11/19/2006, 08:00 AM
He should have had 5 interceptions today as well. Good job though.

MamaMia
11/19/2006, 08:22 AM
Reggie had a bad day and still did a great job. I vote we keep him at returns. :D

OU-HSV
11/19/2006, 08:23 AM
What play were you watching? I thought Brandon Everage was back on the team after that whole body whiff. ;)
Fixed

bri
11/19/2006, 12:39 PM
Reggie had a bad day and still did a great job. I vote we keep him at returns. :D

[half the posters in this thread]Sunshine pumper.[/half the posters in this thread]

colleyvillesooner
11/19/2006, 12:55 PM
I noticed on Baylors last kick off after the Pick 6, Reggie was not deep, but playing on the front line. Message sent.

Sunshine pumpers, please read above...

sanantoniosooner
11/19/2006, 03:19 PM
Sunshine pumpers thank the crap shovelers.

plumbob
11/20/2006, 12:50 PM
I say the players are a bunch of kids playing a rough game at the risk of crippling injury for no pay for our vicarious pleasure and thrill, we shouldn't be criticizing them on a message board.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 12:56 PM
I say the players are a bunch of kids playing a rough game at the risk of crippling injury for no pay for our vicarious pleasure and thrill, we shouldn't be criticizing them on a message board.

Do you know what message boards are for?

msteudem
11/20/2006, 03:31 PM
I think at the beginning of the season and since Reggie has taken some serious hits on pr's (beginning with MTSU) and has gotten gun shy. Whoever we get to field punts; Reggie or someone else, we need for our gunners to have better blocks to setup the returns.

plumbob
11/20/2006, 05:33 PM
Do you know what message boards are for?

For like-minded sarcastic sycophants to dry hump each other and try to run off new posters?

Or to display your lack of vCash, which obviously correlates positively with your knowledge of football.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 05:38 PM
For like-minded sarcastic sycophants to dry hump each other and try to run off new posters?

Or to display your lack of vCash, which obviously correlates positively with your knowledge of football.

So you do know what they are for, good.

and no, it displays may faith in the Colts Cowboys game to be a low scoring affair.

JohnnyMack
11/20/2006, 05:41 PM

:les:PLUMBWNAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOT!!!!

:D

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 05:42 PM
:les:PLUMBWNAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOT!!!!

:D

dick :mad:

I go all in, I don't ***** foot around making safe bets trying to collect FAKE ****ING MONEY!!!! :D

Edit: We can't say Pu$$y now? What is this, a family board? ;)

JohnnyMack
11/20/2006, 05:44 PM
I forgot to place my Rutgers bet, so I'm still vCash loaded.

Come on, we'll go to vSonic and I'll buy you a vCherry vLimeade.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 05:45 PM
I forgot to place my Rutgers bet, so I'm still vCash loaded.

Come on, we'll go to vSonic and I'll buy you a vCherry vLimeade.

I think there's a lot of people on here who need to go to a vWhorehouse and get vLaid.

PAW
11/20/2006, 06:11 PM
OU is averging 3.3 yards per punt return in Big XII play, which firmly places them 11th in the league, only .3 yards out of last place. Reggie is averaging 2.8 yards per return in the Big XII. If you would have told me this a couple of games into the season, I'd have said you were crazy. After the first couple of games (for the season he's still averaging 8.47 ypr), I thought he'd be a threat to score on every return. Now, I'm just hoping he holds onto the ball. Even when he didn't fumble on Saturday, it seemed like he was bobbling the catches.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 06:16 PM
OU is averging 3.3 yards per punt return in Big XII play, which firmly places them 11th in the league, only .3 yards out of last place. Reggie is averaging 2.8 yards per return in the Big XII. If you would have told me this a couple of games into the season, I'd have said you were crazy. After the first couple of games (for the season he's still averaging 8.47 ypr), I thought he'd be a threat to score on every return. Now, I'm just hoping he holds onto the ball. Even when he didn't fumble on Saturday, it seemed like he was bobbling the catches.

His injury really hampered us there. For a couple of games, we just ran him out there to catch it and fall down.

PAW
11/20/2006, 06:22 PM
His injury really hampered us there. For a couple of games, we just ran him out there to catch it and fall down.

I still don't get that. I would think that Iglesias kid might be able to catch a punt and get a yard or two, more so now.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2006, 06:27 PM
They always say, catching kickoffs and punts are worlds apart.

soonernation
11/20/2006, 06:29 PM
Does Mark Bradley have any eligibility left?

PAW
11/20/2006, 06:36 PM
They always say, catching kickoffs and punts are worlds apart.

Obviously I'm not in practice every day, so I don't know everything, but that was a punt Juaquin caught cleanly on Saturday.

Jewstin
11/20/2006, 07:01 PM
I agree with most of the thoughts about Reggie ... right before he muffed that punt against Baylor, he was chasing down a receiver on a long pass attempt. I thought, "boy, he sure must be tired, and now he has to go field a punt ... hope he doesn't drop it." Sure enough, he did. =O

From my own perspective, though, it seems like he hasn't been given a whole lot of opportunities to make good returns on punts. Half the time he has to call for a fair-catch because of either good coverage/punts or bad blocking. I think it's just a really long string of unfortunate situations for him as of recent.

As for the fumbles, maybe he is hearing footsteps ...

cvsooner
11/20/2006, 07:05 PM
Obviously I'm not in practice every day, so I don't know everything, but that was a punt Juaquin caught cleanly on Saturday.

Kickoffs and punts really are different in receiving. A kickoff is going end over end and a proper punt is a spiral. If Reggie hadn't been bobbling before this game, I'd have given him the benefit of the doubt. Sepulveda kicks it really high and really far...and he's left-footed. Which means the ball is spiraling the other way and it just feels different when it hits. So I wouldn't have been that surprised by a bobble here and there.

Reggie said afterwards it was a lack of focus on the ball. I tend to agree with that based on his longer term history.

All I know for certain is several people seemed to have that problem Saturday. Kelly? Brown? Finley? Reggie (three times, really)? Plus against Tech, plus against A & M? Got to stop it, stop it now.

The Tech game, I can see, those fumbles were at least the result of hits. But Kelly? Man, you're just running down the field. The net effect was like a really deep punt, but still.

Reggies fumbles a punt, picks it up, runs for a few yards and fumbles it again.

OSU may be many things, but like A & M and Tech, they will be able to take advantage of turnovers that Baylor couldn't do much with.

Iglesias has had his share of the dropsies this season too. I don't know who has the most sure hands on the squad at the moment, but somebody needs to step up and soon.

goingoneight
11/23/2006, 09:23 PM
Once again... cough! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGGmGaxZYGY cough!

Reggie will be fine. I don't hear anyone saying we need to replace Malcom Kelly or Allen Patrick. Guys just need to practice ball control. Even beloved AD has dropped the ball a few times, and he only has to grab it out of PT's hand.

OUswagger
11/23/2006, 10:06 PM
kinda like catching a fly ball in center field, the coaches always says "stay behind the ball". Easier said than done, but at least give someone else a chance. Was it Malcome Kelly that returned one for a TD?

KingDavid
11/23/2006, 10:52 PM
i keep hoping for someone to fill the Antonio Perkins shaped hole in my sooner heart. alas, i must agree that Reggie has been a disappointment . . . but i think he's our man for the rest of the year. The experience makes a difference.