PDA

View Full Version : RJ Washington

PAW
11/17/2006, 05:20 PM
It's a long way off, but:

R.J. Washington (DE), the top ranked player in the Lone Star State for 2008, made waves last week when TV cameras caught him doing the "horns down" hand signal (at the OU-TT game).

RJ vid at horn.fans (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/addons/tv/index.php)

"I think I'm going to have to go with OU."

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/17/2006, 05:33 PM
OUr recruiting class in 08 is going to be in the top 3

The Consumate Showman
11/20/2006, 01:05 PM
Heh. Number 1 recruting class in '08.

Desert Sapper
11/20/2006, 02:24 PM
He likes OUr fans. I like him. Damn straight we have the best fans. Go RJ. You could play on the best D-Line in history as a freshman/sophomore if you come to OU. Boomer Sooner!

The Consumate Showman
11/21/2006, 12:47 AM
With RJ, I think it comes down to this:

-If we get his teammate Chris Perry, who is basically "decommitted" (not officially if I remember correctly) from the "u", then we get RJ. And it looks like Chris is going to swing OU's way...

From what I've heard out of Texas is that RJ's comments and his and Perry's flashing the upside-down (or as we like to call it, right-side-up) horns sign at a ball game together, Mack may totally back off RJ or Mack could very well intensify his efforts to change RJ's mind...either way, I saw him after the Tech game and he was having a "G R E A T" time...

The Consumate Showman
11/21/2006, 12:51 AM
He likes OUr fans. I like him. Damn straight we have the best fans. Go RJ. You could play on the best D-Line in history as a freshman/sophomore if you come to OU. Boomer Sooner!

What irks me is that that was supposed to happen this year...now we are in need of another good DE to compliment Big John next year to go along with what should be ruled an illegal formation on the defense with Granger and McCoy...it's rather funny that our DT rotation will be our supposed strength in the off season this year much like our DE rotation was last year. Hopefully we put it all together next year on D...AND EARLY!!!!

starrca23
11/21/2006, 02:14 PM
Our D-line should be stout next year. I know it was only Baylor, but they looked good last saturday.

KingDavid
11/21/2006, 10:56 PM
What irks me is that that was supposed to happen this year...now we are in need of another good DE to compliment Big John next year to go along with what should be ruled an illegal formation on the defense with Granger and McCoy...it's rather funny that our DT rotation will be our supposed strength in the off season this year much like our DE rotation was last year. Hopefully we put it all together next year on D...AND EARLY!!!!

Just want to put in a plug for Alonzo Dotson. It's going to be tough for anyone to keep him off the field if he continues to play like he did on Saturday.

Also, I expect that between Alan Davis and (more likely) Jeremy Beal, we're going to have a talented rotation even if we don't land a blue chip DE this year.

Common sense ref
11/22/2006, 09:38 PM
:rolleyes: I have officiated two of Keller's games and brought the captains out for the toss, On the way out I saw a couple of recruiters from UT. So I ask the players who they were looking at , no one knew. But I'm here to tell you Chris Perry is a man amoungst boys. He is freaking huge!. I 'm glad to see him change his mind. I am always asking players if Bob has called. lol

-If we get his teammate Chris Perry, who is basically "decommitted" (not officially if I remember correctly) from the "u", then we get RJ. And it looks like Chris is going to swing OU's way...

From what I've heard out of Texas is that RJ's comments and his and Perry's flashing the upside-down (or as we like to call it, right-side-up) horns sign at a ball game together, Mack may totally back off RJ or Mack could very well intensify his efforts to change RJ's mind...either way, I saw him after the Tech game and he was having a "G R E A T" time...

The Consumate Showman
11/22/2006, 11:08 PM
Just want to put in a plug for Alonzo Dotson. It's going to be tough for anyone to keep him off the field if he continues to play like he did on Saturday.

Also, I expect that between Alan Davis and (more likely) Jeremy Beal, we're going to have a talented rotation even if we don't land a blue chip DE this year.

Agreed about Dotson, but McCoy is suposed to be the second cominf of Lee Roy.

About Alan, he is currently a FB and Beal, well, they're talking about moving him to LB possibly. Who knows with ole Bobby???

Desert Sapper
11/23/2006, 10:18 PM
I think the coaching staff saw McCoy's raw ability in the summer, but they want to keep him redshirted this year so they have him longer. I'm not sure even Lee Roy would have made enough of a difference at UT this year, and that was the only game we lost (and it wasn't due solely to a mismatch on the line). The DT rotation will be the real deal next year. The DE starters won't drop much with John Williams and Alonzo Dotson. The rotation may take a hit with a lack of depth, but I'm certain it will end up better than we are thinking right now. The bottom line is that if he signs in '08 and if he starts as a RS Freshman/Sophomore, he will be on the line with a SENIOR Demarcus Granger and a JUNIOR Gerald McCoy. Barring injuries or early departures, those guys will be fun to watch as upperclassmen.

KingDavid
11/23/2006, 10:46 PM
I think the coaching staff saw McCoy's raw ability in the summer, but they want to keep him redshirted this year so they have him longer. I'm not sure even Lee Roy would have made enough of a difference at UT this year, and that was the only game we lost (and it wasn't due solely to a mismatch on the line). The DT rotation will be the real deal next year. The DE starters won't drop much with John Williams and Alonzo Dotson. The rotation may take a hit with a lack of depth, but I'm certain it will end up better than we are thinking right now. The bottom line is that if he signs in '08 and if he starts as a RS Freshman/Sophomore, he will be on the line with a SENIOR Demarcus Granger and a JUNIOR Gerald McCoy. Barring injuries or early departures, those guys will be fun to watch as upperclassmen.

That would be fun to see.

OklahomaTuba
11/26/2006, 09:55 PM
No one mentioned this yet, but rumor has it that RJ just committed to OU.

chbrew09
11/26/2006, 10:19 PM

sounds like a fact...here we go 2008, oh so sweet

Harry Beanbag
11/26/2006, 10:20 PM
Yep, apparently he committed on Thanksgiving. This is very very big news and a great start to what could be a giant class if all goes well. Of course Signing Day for him is a long ways away.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=55712

PAW
11/26/2006, 10:23 PM
Rivals is listing him as a solid verbal. :)

soonerdave79
11/26/2006, 11:16 PM
That's great! He seems very level-headed. His demeanor kind of reminds me of Paul's. He's obviously very smart and knows what's best for him:cool:

BASSooner
11/27/2006, 02:31 AM
i went on orangebloods.com and they are already complaining about it. They don't think that he will keep his committment for 14 months (they say it as if it is a long time) I mean it is but, if the whorns can keep about 23 commits for about 14 months, than so can OU(althought I don't think it has even been 14 months, I wouldn't know) Herr correct me if I am wrong, I won't get upset.

yermom
11/27/2006, 02:58 AM

i wonder if we can steal any other U recruits right now :D

well, and if we'd want to... i'd think this would be a good time to kinda rob them and Free Shoes, although i guess Florida is probably going to be doing a pretty good job of that...

OklahomaTuba
11/27/2006, 09:16 AM
the gay tors can only take so many though.

The Consumate Showman
11/27/2006, 10:20 AM
i went on orangebloods.com and they are already complaining about it. They don't think that he will keep his committment for 14 months (they say it as if it is a long time) I mean it is but, if the whorns can keep about 23 commits for about 14 months, than so can OU(althought I don't think it has even been 14 months, I wouldn't know) Herr correct me if I am wrong, I won't get upset.

I think Herr would probably agree that if OU beats UT in the RRS in '07, RJ is a solid lock. RJ has said that he MAY take a few "free" visits his senior year, but that he was committed to OU and would stay that way.

My question for Herr is, what the hell is going on in the state of Texas for the '08 class? Mack has really dropped the ball thus far. I mean, if you go and look at the Texas top 100, OU is favored by 7 of the top 6 kids in the '08 class. Herr, do you think this year of UT football is going to negatively affect the whorns? It seems to be already...rumors of Chiles not being happy with his commitment and Tray Allen STILL talking to OU and not telling them to stop calling him...

The Consumate Showman
11/27/2006, 10:25 AM
i wonder if we can steal any other U recruits right now :D

Apparently I was wrong about Perry and RJ coming in a package deal kind of thing. It turns out, I ran into someone at a football game in Texas over the Thanksgiving break that would definitely know, that Chris doesn't want to play the position that OU is wanting him to play. I think Johnny-boy Blake is stroking Perry's ego and patting him on the back and telling him that he can play ehatever position along the DLine he wants if he comes to Nebbish, and Chris is also still committed to the U and he may keep that committment if they step up and hire a good coach...Oh well. :rolleyes: :cool: :D

KingDavid
11/27/2006, 12:15 PM
Props to RJ. Great choice and you're going to be playing alongside a helluva crew that will allow you to DOMINATE.

And very cool that you chose to honor your grandparents by playing close to their home! There's good karma in that!

Herr Scholz
11/27/2006, 04:10 PM
My question for Herr is, what the hell is going on in the state of Texas for the '08 class? Mack has really dropped the ball thus far. I mean, if you go and look at the Texas top 100, OU is favored by 7 of the top 6 kids in the '08 class. Herr, do you think this year of UT football is going to negatively affect the whorns? It seems to be already...rumors of Chiles not being happy with his commitment and Tray Allen STILL talking to OU and not telling them to stop calling him...
7 of the top 6 kids? Wow, I don't have the numbers in front of me right now but that seems pretty good. ;)

I think that kids want to play. I'd say the fact that we're cleaning up in the state of Texas for the '07 class might have something to do with it. Projections have us getting the #1 class in the nation so far. Can't get 'em all every year.

The flip side of that coin is why did Stoops do so badly in Texas this offseason? Depth chart issues maybe?

We'll get plenty of talent and so will you. Just like always.

Herr Scholz
11/27/2006, 04:18 PM
BTW, here are the current rankings for the '07 class. UT is far and away in the #1 slot right now and OU is #24 (I realize a lot of this has to do with numbers). Still, in a year when OU sorely needed O linemen, UT cleaned up in Texas, nabbing the top 6 O linemen (5 of which will play due to Nader's unfortunate condition). Looks like it was UT's turn to clean up this year and OU will have their shot next year with more schollies to give. Some years Mack will come out ahead in the arms race and some years it will be Stoops.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp

snp
11/27/2006, 08:39 PM
BTW, here are the current rankings for the '07 class. UT is far and away in the #1 slot right now and OU is #24 (I realize a lot of this has to do with numbers). Still, in a year when OU sorely needed O linemen, UT cleaned up in Texas, nabbing the top 6 O linemen (5 of which will play due to Nader's unfortunate condition). Looks like it was UT's turn to clean up this year and OU will have their shot next year with more schollies to give. Some years Mack will come out ahead in the arms race and some years it will be Stoops.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp

I wouldn't say far and away. They've just signed more kids right now than USC has.

KingDavid
11/27/2006, 08:41 PM
7 of the top 6 kids? Wow, I don't have the numbers in front of me right now but that seems pretty good. ;)

Actually, it's even better than that. They're committed. And there are more numbers from fewer recruits. There is official proof that we've received commitments for 12 of the top 3 Texas recruits next year.

When it comes to the 08 recruiting class, we are like Elijah and the widow's oil and flour. :eek:

Widescreen
11/27/2006, 09:02 PM
Actually, it's even better than that. They're committed. And there are more numbers from fewer recruits. There is official proof that we've received commitments for 12 of the top 3 Texas recruits next year.
Do the extra 9 recruits in the top 3 count against our available scholarships?

KingDavid
11/27/2006, 09:24 PM
Do the extra 9 recruits in the top 3 count against our available scholarships?

They count for one scholly, leaving all 38 still available.

Widescreen
11/27/2006, 09:32 PM
Sweet.

KingDavid
11/27/2006, 09:42 PM
Sweet.

We just received another big commit so now our scholly count inched up to 40!:D

Frozen Sooner
11/27/2006, 11:45 PM
Perry has eliminated OU. He asked straight up if he was being recruited for the OL and was given an answer he didn't like.

KingDavid
11/27/2006, 11:55 PM
Props to our coaches for shooting straight.

That's a heck of a lot better than old Mack Brown who just tells them whatever they want to hear and then pulls the rug out from under them after they get to campus. Dirty basturd!;)

(I'm just kidding with you Herr.)

Herr Scholz
11/28/2006, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't say far and away. They've just signed more kids right now than USC has.
That's why I used the words "current rankings" and "right now" and qualified that ranking with the acknowledgement that a lot of it has to do with numbers.

snp
11/28/2006, 11:51 AM
That's why I used the words "current rankings" and "right now" and qualified that ranking with the acknowledgement that a lot of it has to do with numbers.

This is why I don't like to read.

snp
11/28/2006, 12:14 PM

That's is why I don't like to read thoroughly.

sooner94
12/1/2006, 12:32 PM
Dallas Morning News had a little paragraph this morning saying he has verbally comitted to OU.

Looks like we can sign some 5-stars 2 years in advance too, Mack.