PDA

View Full Version : development of players

ouradu
11/17/2006, 04:25 PM
It's early. The competition hasn't been great and we will know a lot more about this team after next week. But, one thing I think I can say that is a big improvement is the players seem to have developed under Capel. No way that Longar, a guy that I would have never seen being a real contribution to this team, would be playing the way he is if Calvin Simpson were still here. Take Gray and Bookout. Those guys were as good the day they left as they were the day they came on campus. Longar is astronomically better than he was before Capel came on campus.

I'm not going to go overboard about this team, and like I said we'll know a lot very soon, but I think the trends I see under Capel, if they continue, could have this team surprising some people and definately make a good run at a tournament berth, something no one is giving us a chance at. And by surprising people I don't mean making a run at the Big XII title, I mean I think we could go 9-7 or 10-6 and make a run at the top 4 in the league.

And the biggest reason I can say that is the improvement in Longar, Johnson and in my opinion Godbold and Carter are better than under Sampson too. Am I just letting the newness and the novelty effect my judgement or does it really seem like in such a very short time he's already showing he can develop these guys? Just my $.02.

Ash
11/17/2006, 04:45 PM
wow.

you make some good points, I think. I couldn't tell part way through because I went cross-eyed trying to read that post. Hit the enter key once in a while.

ouradu
11/17/2006, 04:48 PM
better? I should have submitted my rough draft for approval first, I guess. ;)

tommieharris91
11/17/2006, 06:06 PM
Well, who knew Longar could up 21 pts against a scout team? Not Sampson definitely. Sure, the 29-12 score looked like a Sampson-era score, but I'm not sure any Sampson team could score 50 pts in a half.